Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's played centre back because they had nobody else too. If they sign one, and still have the others he won't be needed to play there as much, so will likely play in midfield a bit too. He's still a midfielder, so you still point him as a midfield option.

I don't think he'd be happy to sell just because his midfield still has more options than ours, but it still isn't paper thin, by any stretch of the imagination, like you suggested. Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Song, Mascherano plus their youngsters. That's at least 5 first teamers, and a few youngsters they seem to have high hopes for, for 3 positions. It's not paper thin, at all.

Well it all hinges on whether they see Mascherano as a midfield option. FCBarca said he'd be amazed if he ever played in midfield again, as he's just not rated as a midfielder in Barcelona. If they do see him as a midfield option then yeah, we might have a slightly better chance of snatching Fabregas.

Doesn't mean he'd want to go back there.

I think he would pick Arsenal before United just from a loyalty standpoint, he left for his home club he has been successful trophy-wise but by all accounts still misses Arsenal.

They've been 2-3 signings away for several seasons. Fabregas knows we are looking for a first choice midfielder. I think he wants to be the main man again, star player etc. He could be that here and win medals. I think If Barca accept an offer he'll come here, and Arsenal fans will hate him for it.

Yes but he has loyalty to that club, that matters to some and he comes across as the loyal type. Fabreags with Wilshere and Cazorla plus a Higuain/Suarez and a fullback and that is a team to take notice of. He is winning trophies at Barca already that won't be the reason he comes here. Plus Wenger> Moyes

Wengers comments on Cesc were actually quite uncertain:
"Fabregas has decided to stay one more year at Barcelona," Wenger explained. "Unless he has changed his mind, I don't know... but that's what I've been told.
"We have the [first-option] clause in the contract so we would be on alert but at the moment that's not something we're after."
Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/222327.html#WTokuele2bBeVacM.99
Basically he doesn't know

Basically WengerKnowsBest is actually the real Arsene Wenger.

I think it might happen you know. Cesc said he would only leave if the club wanted him to, they're not going to accept a bid and tell him they want him to stay are they? Accepting a bid means you have gone above what a player is valued at to your club.

It seems we are negotiating towards that price right now, they haven't given anything like a hands off warning.

Fabregas isnt the same kind of player as Xavi - hence why he's been shunted into various positions, including upfront. He's a more direct player - probably due to the fact that he played his formative years in the PL. To me its a lazy comparison to make between the two.

Xavi is a club legend and wont be forced out. When he goes I suspect they'll have someone who can step up and come in to do the job he does, rather than change the way the side plays by wedging in a player.

He's gone to Barca thinking it'd be all wine and roses. As it stands the fans arent that keen on him (having given him some stick last season) and he gets moved around all over the place. He's gone from being Arsenal captain to essentially being a squad player.

Add to this the obvious fact that there must be some interest from the player, however small or no bid would have been made in the first place. I've no doubt someone will have made contact with his agent to sound him out.
Not comparing Fabregas to Xavi positionwise. Fabregas is their 2nd best player in midfield (although advanced role) at the moment. Iniesta wasn't that convincing last season. I can't see Barca even remotely interested in letting him go, having in mind Xavi's age, and them just selling Thiago. Cesc doesn't play deep at Barca, on the contrary but if Xavi is injured/out of form, he can fill in, especially given Thiago is gone.

However as it strands, Fabregas surely won't be a squad player in the next years and I expect him to start every game, if Barca don't bring in some competition in CM/AM positions...

He's played centre back because they had nobody else too. If they sign one, and still have the others he won't be needed to play there as much, so will likely play in midfield a bit too. He's still a midfielder, so you still point him as a midfield option.

I don't think he'd be happy to sell just because his midfield still has more options than ours, but it still isn't paper thin, by any stretch of the imagination, like you suggested. Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Song, Mascherano plus their youngsters. That's at least 5 first teamers, and a few youngsters they seem to have high hopes for, for 3 positions. It's not paper thin, at all.

Song and Mascherano can only fill in for Busquets, arguably. They don't really have the passing range/attacking game to replace Xavi or Iniesta when the latter pair are not available. Song could play the Xavi role at a stretch, and though Song does have a decent passing/box-to-box game I'm not sure it's at the required Barca level. Song would be a better option in the DM role that Busquets plays.

Without Cesc, they would undoubtedly be very light in midfield.

Even I don't read the Express, and I read Latvian instructions on shaving foam cans while on the toilet.

I think he would pick Arsenal before United just from a loyalty standpoint, he left for his home club he has been successful trophy-wise but by all accounts still misses Arsenal.

I can't help but think he'd take one look at what RVP achieved in a single season and find it hard to say no.

I can't help but think he'd take one look at what RVP achieved in a single season and find it hard to say no.
Plus didn't Wenger say a few days ago that they weren't even close to signing anyone? Can't say that would be a signal of intent for Fabregas considering they scraped 4th last year.

Whilst Modric is a good midfielder, I just somehow don't think he'll make a significant improvement in the grand scheme. He's not someone that dominates midfield, he's not someone that will grow into a world beater, and is therefore not someone that will close the gap between us and other big clubs in Europe. I think it'll take an extra special talent to do that, unless we could sign two or three players Modric's calibre.

Whilst Modric is a good midfielder, I just somehow don't think he'll make a significant improvement in the grand scheme. He's not someone that dominates midfield, he's not someone that will grow into a world beater, and is therefore not someone that will close the gap between us and other big clubs in Europe. I think it'll take an extra special talent to do that, unless we could sign two or three players Modric's calibre.

He's still better to Ando, Cleverley and a 40 yr old Giggs

He's a far better player than any midfielder we have (bar Carrick). I'm not sure how it's possible for that not to significantly improve us?

A lot of people suddenly underrating Modric based on his disappointing season at Real. He is an excellent midfielder and I'd love him here.

Exactly. Well put.

He's a far better player than any midfielder we have (bar Carrick). I'm not sure how it's possible for that not to significantly improve us?

A lot of people suddenly underrating Modric based on his disappointing season at Real. He is an excellent midfielder and I'd love him here.

But we want to improve to be the top team in Europe, and buying someone who is 4th/5th choice at Real Madrid will not do that.

But we want to improve to be the top team in Europe, and buying someone who is 4th/5th choice at Real Madrid will not do that.

So because he's not first choice at Real Madrid, a club notorious for ruining great players careers and selling them off only for those players to end up being brilliant again (Robben, Sneijder), he's not of a high enough standard to take us to the next level. I could swear it was only this time last year where Modric was basically everyone on here's dream signing that would solve all our midfield issues. Now suddenly we're linked to Cesc and Thiago and he's not good enough for us anymore.

So because he's not first choice at Real Madrid, a club notorious for ruining great players careers and selling them off only for those players to end up being brilliant again (Robben, Sneijder), he's not of a high enough standard to take us to the next level. I could swear it was only this time last year where Modric was basically everyone on here's dream signing that would solve all our midfield issues. Now suddenly we're linked to Cesc and Thiago and he's not good enough for us anymore.

I was never a massive fan. I would have liked to have signed him a couple of years ago sure, but I just cant see him taking us to the next level now. He's good, but in my opinion, not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.