Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, it was more a ringing endorsement of SAF than a criticism of Moyes. Plenty of star players have rejected us anyway - Hazard, Sneijder, Lucas, Nasri etc. But in some cases it might have / make a difference. Would RvP had chosen us last year if SAF wasn't our manager?

Nah, it was more a ringing endorsement of SAF than a criticism of Moyes. Plenty of star players have rejected us anyway - Hazard, Sneijder, Lucas, Nasri etc. But in some cases it might have / make a difference. Would RvP had chosen us last year if SAF wasn't our manager?

If we were winning trophies under Moyes, or were winning trophies beforehand and it was Moyes' first season, I still reckon RvP would have come. He said the little boy inside him screamed "United", not "work with Fergie". Of course working with him would be a great incentive, but I genuinely feel RvP would have come anyway.

If we were winning trophies under Moyes, or were winning trophies beforehand and it was Moyes' first season, I still reckon RvP would have come. He said the little boy inside him screamed "United", not "work with Fergie". Of course working with him would be a great incentive, but I genuinely feel RvP would have come anyway.

To be fair, the two have been synonymous for so long now I don't think we an read too much into the wording.

I see your general point though.

Xavi is finally starting to look human and his ready-made replacement who has been waiting in the wings for 3 years is going to choose now as the moment to leave?

Very, very unlikely.

I only ask cos there will be an element of wanting to see how well Moyes does before coming to United. Until he's proven we'll continue competing, he might struggle to attract some of the bigger targets? AND... if he signs several average players.... I actually dont want to continue that thought :nervous:

I'd be a little nervous if SAF were in charge but with the change I doubt Fabregas would choose you lot even if he did decide to move.

Your club is a huge attraction alone, but when you phrase it like 'come and play for a manager who's won nothing and is untested in huge job', then factor in the strengthening of Chelsea and City, I think it's a risk for a player like Cesc to make that move.

I think Moyes is going to have to make do with what he has (which is pretty fecking good) and show the football world what he can do.

Of course it would. Till yesterday you would've had the chance to play under one of (if not ) the best manager in the game, and then under Moyes...

Really don't think he would care. The most successful Barca manager in two decades left and he's still there.

Your club is a huge attraction alone, but when you phrase it like 'come and play for a manager who's won nothing and is untested in huge job', then factor in the strengthening of Chelsea and City, I think it's a risk for a player like Cesc to make that move.

I think Moyes is going to have to make do with what he has (which is pretty fecking good) and show the football world what he can do.

You don't think we'd make some sort of big signing this summer, especially if Rooney is sold?

I think Fergie's comments about "pushing the boat out" and going for a top player indicated that we plan on strengthening this summer. Especially since its a guarantee that City and Chelsea (and perhaps Arsenal) will be doing the same.

Really don't think he would care. The most successful Barca manager in two decades left and he's still there.

He's Spanish and it's his youth team. It's a bit different don't you think?

Yes that is correct. However we're yet to see how will the club fare in the post Fergie era. It has been 27 years now, it's not like we lose our best player. At the moment there's a huge question mark and expectation towards Moyes and we're yet to see if he can pull it off in the next couple of years.

Xavi is finally starting to look human and his ready-made replacement who has been waiting in the wings for 3 years is going to choose now as the moment to leave?

Very, very unlikely.

Barca fans don't seem to think he's suited to playing in their midfield and he's entering what should be the best years of his life. I think he's too good a player to be a player who is out of place at barca and being accommodated out if position for the sake of it.

Very, very unlikely.

I've heard this before - and I'm not so sure.

Fabregas may be tidy on the ball (like the vast majroty of Spaniards) but he was never a Xavi type player in the PL. He was dynamic, a bit box to box and liked a defence splitting pass or two. For me (unsurprisingly given his grounding) more a PL player than anything else.

The other issue is how long will he wait for regular football? He's 26 now, approaching his peak years, so how likely is it he'll be happy on the bench, pushed out left or asked to chop and change his position to fill in for various players?

Xavi will have a few years left and Barca simply wont move him on. He'll be threre until he's had enough. Meanwhile, Barca are no longer "unbeatables" and I suspect the lustre of the move may be wearing off for Fabregas.

He'll be a high earner at Barca. They're always bringing thorugh first team capable players and will also probably want to invest in a couple after this season. Fabregas hasn't set the world alight so they may let him go.

He might not end up at United, but I can see him moving on if I'm honest. maybe even back to the Gooners - especially if Usmanov takes over.

He's Spanish and it's his youth team. It's a bit different don't you think?

Yes that is correct. However we're yet to see how will the club fare in the post Fergie era. It has been 27 years now, it's not like we lose our best player. At the moment there's a huge question mark and expectation towards Moyes and we're yet to see if he can pull it off in the next couple of years.

This is the guy that left them at 15 right?

Losing Fergie is a really big deal but some are making it far to essential when it comes to transfers. Money still talks...

This is the guy that left them at 15 right?

Losing Fergie is a really big deal but some are making it far to essential when it comes to transfers. Money still talks...

Yes, but again reunited not so long ago. A lot of Spanish team mates and all.

As for the bolder part - I absolutely agree, and City and Chelsea have that advantage on us at the moment when it comes to transfers.

After the way he whored himself for years to get back to Barca he's hardly going to give that up after 2 seasons.

First refusal just means they have to match an offer that's accepted and the player decides where to go...doesn't mean they can dictate where he actually goes, providing his first preference isn't them.

Apparently we have a 50% sell on fee if they sell to anyone but us too.

The more I think about it, the more I can accept the idea of Fabregas joining United. It wouldn't be easy for Cleverley and Kagawa in particular to accept the idea of Fabregas joining us, but the logic of it is compelling. Especially if Rooney stays, the competition for a few spots in the starting XI would be ferocious.

And don't forget about Nick Powell. Scoff if you must, but he looks more like a man than a boy. And yet he's still only 19.

The more I think about it, the more I can accept the idea of Fabregas joining United. It wouldn't be easy for Cleverley and Kagawa in particular to accept the idea of Fabregas joining us, but the logic of it is compelling. Especially if Rooney stays, the competition for a few spots in the starting XI would be ferocious.

And don't forget about Nick Powell. Scoff if you must, but he looks more like a man than a boy. And yet he's still only 19.

I seriously hope that Kagawa wouldn't have too much cause for concern. If after five years of needing one we finally get a top class central midfielder and then play him as a third no. 10, I might just lose my mind completely.

I seriously hope that Kagawa wouldn't have too much cause for concern. If after five years of needing one we finally get a top class central midfielder and then play him as a third no. 10, I might just lose my mind completely.

I never understand the fuss on here over whether a player will get a regular start if we sign another who plays in his position. Players will, as ever be picked on form and ability, and that's the way it should be.

A strong squad is vital to compete.

I never understand the fuss on here over whether a player will get a regular start if we sign another who plays in his position. Players will, as ever be picked on form and ability, and that's the way it should be.

A strong squad is vital to compete.

My point wasn't really about competition. I was saying that it would be madness to buy Fabregas and then not play him in CM, which I still think is his best position and which is definitely the position we need him in.

That can't be true, can it?

It's what was widely reported at the time, whether it's true or not is another matter.

I could see Arsene pushing for it anyway, sold off Vieira, Pires etc and based his Emirates build team around a 17 year old because he believed he was something special from the start.

Would put Arsenal at a huge advantage if he was to leave Barca.

Wenger admitted he and Arsenal were always fighting a losing battle to keep Fábregas from Barcelona this summer, as he suggested that the European champions had got the midfielder at a "reduced fee". Arsenal value the deal at £40m, which factors in a £4m loyalty payment the player has waived. Also included in the package are performance and success-related add-ons while Arsenal have a 50% sell-on clause. Barcelona have waived any options or sell-on clauses in relation to Jon Toral and Hector Bellerin, the young players who moved from the Camp Nou to Arsenal earlier in the summer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/15/barcelona-cesc-fabregas-arsenal-tears

Supposedly the idea is that Barca are open to the idea of selling Cesc because they need the funds for other areas of the team. Midfield talent is definitely not a problem for them.

It's what was widely reported at the time, whether it's true or not is another matter.

I could see Arsene pushing for it anyway, sold off Vieira, Pires etc and based his Emirates build team around a 17 year old because he believed he was something special from the start.

Would put Arsenal at a huge advantage if he was to leave Barca.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/15/barcelona-cesc-fabregas-arsenal-tears

Nah, that can't be right. It must be 50% of any profit. If it was the case and Barca sold him, they'd end up having gotten easily upwards of £50m for him. They surely wouldn't agree to that.

Well apparently Rooney is shit and worth feck all, so I'd imagine it would be 50% of nothing.

Yup, Rooney would just be an extra thrown into the Bebe-Fabregas swap which is what they really want. Then Arsenal would be entitled to one Be.

EDIT: Which I think means baseball in Spanish, no? Check mate, Wenger.

Apparently we have a 50% sell on fee if they sell to anyone but us too.

If that is true, that suggests Fabregas probably won't be sold for a very long time because not only would they have to sell him for less than they signed him for anyway, they'd lose 50%.

So if the clause exists, Fabrecaf 2013 must close.

Good point - I hadn't thought of that. I guess a number of players will forgo United and instead look at either City or Chelsea for the kind of stability and security they crave...

Nah, that can't be right. It must be 50% of any profit. If it was the case and Barca sold him, they'd end up having gotten easily upwards of £50m for him. They surely wouldn't agree to that.

Well given his form at the time, his age, the amount of years still left on his contract, the shitty price they paid up front, the fact they probably thought they were signing him for life & the fact we dug our heels in until after the season had begun which pretty much fecked up the first month culminating in the na'er to be forgotten 8-2 i wouldn't say it's out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.