F1 2024 Season

ArjenIsM3

Headline for an F1 article on BBC:

“ 'Norris win a popular one as end-of-empire feeling swirls around Red Bull' “

Madness :lol:. Definitely a popular win, but does anyone think it’s the end of a red bull empire?
There's definitely a lot of people who are in vulture mode feeding the idea of the end of the RB empire since the Horner saga and Newey's exit. Obviously the media are loving this but also people from other teams (Zak Brown for example) are trying their best to destabilize the Red Bull team. We'll see how much (if any) of it is true.

Mike Smalling

We already have the same amount of drivers winning races as last year, and more different teams winning. F1 is back.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
There's definitely a lot of people who are in vulture mode feeding the idea of the end of the RB empire since the Horner saga and Newey's exit. Obviously the media are loving this but also people from other teams (Zak Brown for example) are trying their best to destabilize the Red Bull team. We'll see how much (if any) of it is true.
Wouldn’t expect anything else from the media or other teams. And the Newey thing is a longer term impact, if any. But I don’t think most people genuinely think the RB empire is suddenly collapsing.

hobbers

Madness :lol:. Definitely a popular win, but does anyone think it’s the end of the Red Bull empire?
Just a standard Andrew Benson article. He is one of the presidents of the team LH fan club after all.

dinostar77

Highly doubt anyone is going to mount a real challenge against Max as he will consistently finish in the top 3 but it will make it easier to watch if there's actual racing on the track.

One thing the race is still missing is an actual battle between 1st and 2nd place, we might have got in Melbourne if Max hadn't have retired but it seems like whoever is leading at the moment just sails off.
Zak Brown said before the race that McLaren think they will catch up to RedBull by start of next season.

As for this season, agree no one will catch max, baring setup issues and track surface issues

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Madness :lol:. Definitely a popular win, but does anyone think it’s the end of the Red Bull empire?
You know Zac is saying his little prayers at his bedside every night. And probably Toto so Max will come to them :lol:

All this talk of unrest in other teams, especially those at the top is as old as the press has covered F1 it feels like.

On another note: RB confirmed Max had floor damage/a hole after hitting the bollard, which is not surprising of course. Still, even with that and the SC cock-up I don't subscribe to the idea Max would have easily beaten Lando. The McLaren and Lando looked like the better package yesterday and while it may have been closer at the line, I still think the would have won. Max kept being surprised at how well he placed every time in quali and sprint race and complained the whole weekend about the car not being dialed in, that's probably also why losing yesterday was pretty easy to accept (aside from Lando being his mate ofc). Newey carefully studying the McLaren before race start was almost a foreshadowing!

I do wonder now if the long standing rumors that RB will bring a big upgrade (possible zero pod?) to Monza are true. Especially bc they can now see both McLaren and Ferrari are at their heels.

hobbers

It's Hobbers, LH bashing comes with him. You get used to it.

Imagine if Ferrari do well next season with LH. He will have an aneurysm.
It's clearly Benson bashing, not LH bashing....? He's just a rubbish F1 pundit and writer with a big chip on his shoulder.

I genuinely hope Ferrari do well, because the animosity that will rapidly grow between Tifosi and LH fans will be extra spicy.

United Hobbit

You know Zac is saying his little prayers at his bedside every night. And probably Toto so Max will come to them :lol:

All this talk of unrest in other teams, especially those at the top is as old as the press has covered F1 it feels like.

On another note: RB confirmed Max had floor damage/a hole after hitting the bollard, which is not surprising of course. Still, even with that and the SC cock-up I don't subscribe to the idea Max would have easily beaten Lando. The McLaren and Lando looked like the better package yesterday and while it may have been closer at the line, I still think the would have won. Max kept being surprised at how well he placed every time in quali and sprint race and complained the whole weekend about the car not being dialed in, that's probably also why losing yesterday was pretty easy to accept (aside from Lando being his mate ofc). Newey carefully studying the McLaren before race start was almost a foreshadowing!

I do wonder now if the long standing rumors that RB will bring a big upgrade (possible zero pod?) to Monza are true. Especially bc they can now see both McLaren and Ferrari are at their heels.
Re the RB rumoured upgrade - it's the hope that kills. The hope we finally have a team who can at least be racing Perez and the Ferraris to make that part of the race interesting at least, or even the hope they could challenge Max some races

pauldyson1uk

With all sorts of rumours abounding about what Newey might do next once he leaves Red Bull by mid-2025, Horner confirmed that Newey no longer has any access to data and will no longer be involved in any technical briefings.

“Adrian’s focus is very much now on the RB17,” he said after the Miami Grand Prix, referring to the Red Bull-developed hypercar that is Newey’s brainchild, and the department to which he has been assigned until his contract comes to an end.

“He’s not sat in any briefings over the weekend, other than the race strategy.

“He has no access to any data, he’s not drawing parts, and his focus is now on RB17 until the end of his [notice].

“He’ll be at some races between now and the end of the year, primarily where we have RB17 customers.”

Asked about whether he is concerned about Newey joining another team, Horner said there’s ultimately no Red Bull input involved in that decision.

“I think Adrian is going to take some time away from Formula 1 and, at 65, you can’t blame him. I think he’s earned that right.

“He’s earned the right to take some time out. So what he chooses to do after that, it will be his choice.”

Red Bull take immediate Adrian Newey action with big departure now confirmed (planetf1.com)

Balljy

First race without Newey assisting in aero setup and the car didn't perform. I know it was the track this time, but if there is any sort of drop-off from now this could be interesting to watch.

Also, it doesn't sound like he's in any rush to join another team, which could change things quite a lot with the 2026 car designs being built over the next year.

hobbers

First race without Newey assisting in aero setup and the car didn't perform. I know it was the track this time, but if there is any sort of drop-off from now this could be interesting to watch.
Newey has never assisted in aero setup, why would he.

Leg-End

Juan Soto is a Yankee, hands off. I think the fanbase will come for Cashman if they don't move heaven and earth to keep him.

Finally getting to the London Series this year, schedule never lined up for me before.

Redplane

redshaw

Juan Soto is a Yankee, hands off. I think the fanbase will come for Cashman if they don't move heaven and earth to keep him.

Finally getting to the London Series this year, schedule never lined up for me before.
Inside baseball talk.

Leg-End

Their progress has been pretty rapid when you take into consideration the slow progress of Mercedes who still don't really know where they are going.

Can see them winning again this season but the downfall of Red Bull is very much overhyped, it's still a dominant team when they aren't damaging the floor over traffic cones.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Their progress has been pretty rapid when you take into consideration the slow progress of Mercedes who still don't really know where they are going.

Can see them winning again this season but the downfall of Red Bull is very much overhyped, it's still a dominant team when they aren't damaging the floor over traffic cones.
From the conversation with Lambiasse before the incident they talk how they can't increase the lead from 2,5 seconds, which explains it's not just the damage. Even Perez struggled far more than on any other track, and they weren't much quicker than Ferrari who themselves weren't at their quickest on this track.

I mean, it's not a lot, but we can hope others are pretty close!

dinostar77

From the conversation with Lambiasse before the incident they talk how they can't increase the lead from 2,5 seconds, which explains it's not just the damage. Even Perez struggled far more than on any other track, and they weren't much quicker than Ferrari who themselves weren't at their quickest on this track.

I mean, it's not a lot, but we can hope others are pretty close!
Vassuer thinks Ferrari's next upgrade for imola will legitimately allow them to challenge RedBull for race wins.

Caveat to all of this is that we still have yet to see RedBull's zero sidepod update. Would be incredibly annoying if RedBull introduced an update that shoots them off into the distance again, just after McLaren and Ferrari have caught them up*

*Need a few races and Ferrari update to see if this is true.

hobbers

Everyone said the field would converge and Ferrari and McLaren seem to be slowly proving it.

Mercedes are the ones bucking the trend because they're as far behind now, at least in qualifying, as they've ever been. What an awful aerodynamics department.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It’s shocking how chaotic and lost the Mercedes team is. It’s like they both know and don't know what’s wrong with the car all at the same time.

Redplane

I still think they ll at least have a major leg up again when the next regs put more of the emphasis on PU power again. Clearly Toto and the stakeholders though would prefer to not have to wait that long to be more competitive again as it's undoubtedly hurting their appeal for drivers they may be trying to woo, and - unlike a RB - it is a major blemish on them as a car manufacturer. Does make me wonder however if Ford really knows what they re getting themselves into.

Balljy

How will that work when it starts off sunny and becomes wet? Does it mean that cars will be forced in to get the guards put on, and will the tyre choice still be free? I can see it reducing tactics a bit if they're forced in.

dinostar77

How will that work when it starts off sunny and becomes wet? Does it mean that cars will be forced in to get the guards put on, and will the tyre choice still be free? I can see it reducing tactics a bit if they're forced in.
It's for extreme wet weather. So if there is a torrential downpour, race would be red flagged and teams would be given 15 minutes to put these on before the race resumed (this was the draft plan last year, may have changed). Agree that it's daft as if the rain went away and track dried up, you'd have to come in and take them off again.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I still think they ll at least have a major leg up again when the next regs put more of the emphasis on PU power again. Clearly Toto and the stakeholders though would prefer to not have to wait that long to be more competitive again as it's undoubtedly hurting their appeal for drivers they may be trying to woo, and - unlike a RB - it is a major blemish on them as a car manufacturer. Does make me wonder however if Ford really knows what they re getting themselves into.
I don't think the PU will make much of a difference, the rest bar Renault understand the PU now and have gone past them, it's going to come down to aerodynamics and they seem to be as bad at that as Renault are at the PU.