4) Carlos Sainz, Ferrari
5) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
6) Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin
7) Lando Norris, McLaren
8) Yuki Tsunoda, Alpha Tauri
9) Lance Stroll, Aston Martin
10) Oscar Piastri, McLaren

Much more positive from the Mcclaren.

Lewis looking carefully at the Ferrari, as they’ve surprisingly made significant leaps forward despite only changing the downforce of their rear wing.

Not convinced Leclerc will keep that pole after the next stages with the sprint etc. but I really hope he does. Will change things up a bit at least.

You must be fun at parties. Especially those hosted by Redbull’s.
alexander-isak-isak.gif

I had no idea qualifying was on a Friday. Can't watch it when I'm at work. What an awful idea - impressive by Ferrari although Merc appear to have dropped even further back from the highlights I have just watched

Well that was a interesting qually. The Race explained what happened, as i expected the RBs to 1-2 for qually easily.

"..We have explained here before how the Red Bull’s extremely stable aerodynamic platform is made possible by the extreme degree of anti-dive front and anti-squat rear suspension it runs. That in turn is a big part of an extremely efficient underbody, as it can be run lower than other cars, which have to accommodate more dive and pitch. That’s also part of its big DRS boost.

But that super-level platform also brings potential difficulties with front brakes which are easier to lock and front tyres which take longer to reach optimum temperature. Baku, with its long tyre-cooling straights and tight corners requiring lots of steering lock, always heavily punishes a car with a front tyre warming issue and Verstappen and his race engineer Gianpiero Lambiase were trying to find ways around that, even into Q3...."

Also if anyone is interested

Adrian Newey designed Anti Dive front suspension and anti lift rear suspension explained.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-anderson-the-potency-of-red-bulls-newey-led-inversion/

First Sprint Shootout ever, I think it’s needless but here goes.
How will the Sprint Shootout work?
The Sprint Shootout will follow the same three-session knockout format as usual qualifying, but each Q1, Q2 and Q3 segment has been shortened to address engine and tyre concerns the teams had.

SQ1 has been shortened from 18 minutes to 12 minutes.

SQ2 has been shortened from 15 minutes to 10 minutes.

SQ3
has been shortened from 12 minutes to eight minutes.

The aim is that each car would only have one flying lap in each session, although two runs could be done in SQ1 while SQ2 and SQ3 would allow time for two timed laps without a pitstop in between attempts.

The other significant difference between the Sprint Shootout and regular qualifying will be restrictions on tyre usage.

While teams are free to use any of their available tyres in regular qualifying, in the Sprint Shootout new sets of tyres will be mandatory in each of the three parts, with medium compounds in SQ1 and SQ2 followed by a switch to softs in SQ3.

I totally missed any of this shenanigans, rewatched yesterday's qualifiers this morning, and expected sprint race, but again we have qualifiers?

Why did they do qualifiers yesterday?

Drivers out in SQ1
The red flag was thrown with 25 seconds remaining in SQ1 so drivers in the drop zone were unable to improve.
These are the five drivers we've lost:
16. Zhou Guanyu, Alfa Romeo
17. Valtteri Bottas, Alfa Romeo
18. Yuki Tsunoda, Alpha Tauri
19. Pierre Gasly, Alpine
20. Nyck de Vries, AlphaTauri