F1 2022 Season

I’m not sure Perez needed to pit, they only did for the fastest lap IMO. Russell who not only didn’t have the pace had overheating issues so was never going to come back on them and didn’t catch up to Max who was only just ahead of Perez. Perez was also said to be on a different strategy i.e. two stop earlier in the race vs the 3 for Max. They told him to move over and didn’t want Max having to try overtaking because of his dodgy DRS because he’s the number two in the team. It sucks for him but that’s why he’s got the lowly status of driving a Red Bull.

He either needed to pit or he would have slowed down dramatically. His tyres would have been way past the recommended range if he stayed out and so he'd have been overtaken by Max anyway simply because his tyres were so old. Mercedes pointed out to Russell that he was going to go to the end and he said something like 'wow that's ambitious' or something like that and at that point the tyres would have finished 20 laps outside of their recommended limit.

He either needed to pit or he would have slowed down dramatically. His tyres would have been way past the recommended range if he stayed out and so he'd have been overtaken by Max anyway simply because his tyres were so old. Mercedes pointed out to Russell that he was going to go to the end and he said something like 'wow that's ambitious' or something like that and at that point the tyres would have finished 20 laps outside of their recommended limit.
I believe he just said "Blimey" which was very British of him :lol:

There was no reason to let them fight with a dodgy DRS and pushing engines in the heat. Perez still had pace at that point. On tyres I maintain he could've stayed out but they went for the fastest lap and took maximum points.

In his 3rd stint Perez did 16 laps on the yellow tyre C2. He then pit for the softer red tyre C3 and did 13 laps. That 3rd stint would've been 16 + 13 = 29 laps.

Hamilton stint 3 on the C2 tyre did 26 laps whilst rampaging through the field. Bottas completed 32 laps on C2.

3 laps longer than Hamilton when he'd managed his tyres and was coasting at end on lower fuel levels. Russell was 30 seconds behind after pitting with 10 laps to go and had overheating issues.

Random prediction for Monaco - Leclerc. He hasn't finished his 5 times that he's raced (3 in F1). Ferrari to get pole and control race.

Qualifying will be the race.

Random prediction for Monaco - Leclerc. He hasn't finished his 5 times that he's raced (3 in F1). Ferrari to get pole and control race.

Oh yeah Leclerc is the favourite by a country mile for Monaco. Ferrari have the one lap pace nailed and that's what matters here. Looks like I'm not even going to be able to watch the race since I'm off to pick up an Aprilia RSV Mille with my brother but I don't expect to miss much.

Oh yeah Leclerc is the favourite by a country mile for Monaco. Ferrari have the one lap pace nailed and that's what matters here. Looks like I'm not even going to be able to watch the race since I'm off to pick up an Aprilia RSV Mille with my brother but I don't expect to miss much.
Yeah me too, I will be at a nearby town but I think I will make it back home with my M5 Competition.

mmmm dont really think this is the case.

Traditionally, the weekend of the Monaco Grand Prix weekend coincided with Ascension Day, which was a bank holiday in the principality, and the event was paused to allow regular traffic to move through the streets on the Friday.

Although this day is no longer celebrated as much, the tradition of holding two practice sessions on the Thursday, no practice sessions on the Friday, the final practice session and qualifying on the Saturday and the race on the Sunday had remained.

But, Formula 1 decided that 2022 was time for a change. There are many changes taking place in F1 right now and the organisers wanted to move this race's practice sessions in line with the usual race weekend schedule of Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with F1's CEO Stefano Domenicali confirming this change in September of 2021.

Some in Monaco are unhappy about the change, since those in the tourism and hospitality industry are losing one day of racing fans visiting the city.
Fair enough, my bias towards monaco (hate the place

A Mercedes win. My random prediction

Sainz to get his first win. He's class around Monaco and this Ferrari seems excellent with lots of downforce on.

Hamilton and Russell both 18/1

https://www.oddschecker.com/motorsport/formula-1

Thats not bad odds... merc has been good at slow speeds all season

I've put a bit on both drivers as the odds are pretty good

Have a hunch for Russel as he's been great in quali and it's so hard to overtake

It will be really interesting to see who out of Russell and Hamilton win the first GP of this season for Mercedes, assuming of course the car is capable of winning.
My guess is Russell.

Andrew Shovlin said in an interview with Sky that before Spain they were in the dark, but with the upgrade at Spain it was like "the light had been switched on" and that development paths had now been opened up. This sounds very promising for them, I reckon by Silverstone we'll see them up near the front.

Monaco is not a good hunting ground for Mercedes but I really think Mercedes could have a chance this weekend.
Once Lewis has a car he is happy with and trusts, his times and he will be will improve and he will be ahead of Russell.

Sainz to get his first win. He's class around Monaco and this Ferrari seems excellent with lots of downforce on.

He is also cursed this season, though.

It would make for a great Drive to Survive episode given his start to the season.

He is also cursed this season, though.

It would make for a great Drive to Survive episode given his start to the season.
All bad luck has to turn somewhere, but I agree he's more than likely going to get pole, lead the race for 90% then crash on the last few laps :lol:

Monaco is not a good hunting ground for Mercedes but I really think Mercedes could have a chance this weekend.
Once Lewis has a car he is happy with and trusts, his times and he will be will improve and he will be ahead of Russell.
Why is he entitled to be ahead of Russel? This dismisses the possibility that Russel is actually the better driver, and I don't see how it can be said with certainty that he is not - this is the only time that they both have the same car and so far it's pretty clear who is better.

Why is he entitled to be ahead of Russel? This dismisses the possibility that Russel is actually the better driver, and I don't see how it can be said with certainty that he is not - this is the only time that they both have the same car and so far it's pretty clear who is better.
Nothing is pretty clear at all. They've both been driving a pogo stick.

The first race it actually worked properly and Hamilton caught him rapidly, and nearly ended up overtaking him from 30 seconds behind.

Now the car is sorted we will see. I'm a big fan of Russell and think he's a future champion, but it's definitely not early enough to say he's out performing Hamilton yet.

I never said he was entitled , just my own opinions and I have never dismissed the ability of any driver.
I just don't get where you got dismissed and entitled from ?

On any other track i would agree, but Monaco has never been a strong track for lewis. Three wins in his career. Where as he has 8 wins at Hungary, Silverstone. 7 at Canada etc.

So out of the Mercedes pair i fancy russell this weekend.

On any other track i would agree, but Monaco has never been a strong track for lewis. Three wins in his career. Where as he has 8 wins at Hungary, Silverstone. 7 at Canada etc.

So out of the Mercedes pair i fancy russell this weekend.
Yeah there is that and if Russell gets in front, he will be hard to pass, Monaco is a horrible place for Lewis.
Russell could very well get his first race win this weekend, Red Bull and Ferrari have had reliability problems in the last few race, all it would take is more this weekend.

Monaco team upgrades.

Pretty much every team making changes to front cooling (not mclaren or ferrari). Also some teams changing the suspension for Monaco specifically.

Interesting that ferrari made zero changes to the car. Which makes me wonder, is it really THAT good that unlike RB and Mercedes they dont have to change anything?

Which only happened because George had to spend the entire race defending....
Hamilton had to fight his way through the pack, you can swing it both ways.

He was clearly the faster in Barcelona. As I said, far too early to call it definitive.

It doesn't swing both ways. Lewis wasn't losing time breezing past much slower cars in the middle of the race, none of whom defended vs him because they knew it was futile. But George will have easily lost 15-20 seconds or more on his optimal just from defending Max for all those laps.
Hamilton lost time stuck behind slower cars every lap, only able to overtake under DRS.

How many laps was Russell defending for? 10-15 at most. He was in clear air for ages once Vestappen pitted and Perez got passed him.

I never said he was entitled , just my own opinions and I have never dismissed the ability of any driver.
I just don't get where you got dismissed and entitled from ?
Of course you didn't say it, but the bellow for sure sounds like it is a no question who is the better driver, only a matter of Lewis being comfortable with the car.

Of course you didn't say it, but the bellow for sure sounds like it is a no question who is the better driver, only a matter of Lewis being comfortable with the car.
Fair point, I do think Lewis is the better driver, in ability and experience.
Russell is a future WC , in ability Russell is there Lewis has the experience that just gives him the edge, but I can't take anything away from Russel, do far this season he is better.

Lobato on the Alpine-Alonso relationship in the SoyMotor direct:

"The feeling that I have gotten from these days in Barcelona that the Alpine-Fernando relationship has cooled down and if you listen to the demonstrations of one and the other you realize that the end is near"

Oh dear danny ric. He needs a strong weekend and not get beaten by an under the weather again lando norris.

Hamilton slower on the softs than Leclerc on the hards.

One step forward and at least one back. So far, they are nowhere. Both Ferrari and Red Bull look much more nimble.
The Mercedes looks like a Slug On Heat.

There was no reason to let them fight with a dodgy DRS and pushing engines in the heat. Perez still had pace at that point. On tyres I maintain he could've stayed out but they went for the fastest lap and took maximum points.

In his 3rd stint Perez did 16 laps on the yellow tyre C2. He then pit for the softer red tyre C3 and did 13 laps. That 3rd stint would've been 16 + 13 = 29 laps.

Hamilton stint 3 on the C2 tyre did 26 laps whilst rampaging through the field. Bottas completed 32 laps on C2.

3 laps longer than Hamilton when he'd managed his tyres and was coasting at end on lower fuel levels. Russell was 30 seconds behind after pitting with 10 laps to go and had overheating issues.

There would have been no fighting, his tyres would have been so much older Max would have passed him without an issue at all with or without DRS. It sounded like they gave him the fastest lap as an apology for making him look like a twat in front of everyone.

But we'll see what happens at Monaco. Undoubtably they'll ask him to do it again at a track that's almost impossible to pass organically.

Interesting info about danny ric (who may lose his seat at mclaren next season).

""...While it would be dangerous to try to simplify Ricciardo’s 2021 cause to a single issue, it did often come back to how he attacks a braking zone and tries to rotate the car.

Despite being famously adept at late-braking passes, Ricciardo’s preferred style in normal conditions is to brake slightly earlier, with less pressure, and roll the speed into the corner.

That requires a positive front end to get the car rotated. At medium and low speed, the McLaren was ill-suited to this technique.

Team-mate Lando Norris was much more effective with a later, harder brake that facilitated a sharper rotation and allowed him to get on the power again quicker.

Ricciardo could not quite drill that technique into himself, even though he got better at it through the season...."
Which makes me wonder: do teams consider driving style when contracting drivers? Like in this case: McLaren would have known what their car was like, and probably could have known Ricciardo's driving style. Put those two together, and the issue is clear. Is that something they consider ("it'll be a slow start for him in the car, but we are confident that he'll manage to adapt"), or do they look higher level ("great talent, proven winner, very markettable, let's get him") ?

The latter would be a bit like a team getting Ronaldo because, you know, "fecking hell, Ronaldo!" - even if he's not a fit for the team's playstyle at all.

Last edited: