F1 2022 Season

Would have been interesting to see what pace Hamilton had in a normal race, the contact and puncture must have done some floor damage. Bit of a shame the Monaco lottery is next, we won't really know the normal order for a while longer.
Why? Don't think Hamilton or Mercedes mentioned any damage and his lap times were fine. Better than Russell. The car seemed fine.

Why? Don't think Hamilton or Mercedes mentioned any damage and his lap times were fine. Better than Russell. The car seemed fine.

They mentioned damage on the radio, either just before or after he got back to the pits. There’s no way he had any with those lap times though, the impact was pretty small as well, just unlucky to pick up a puncture.

They mentioned damage on the radio, either just before or after he got back to the pits. There’s no way he had any with those lap times though, the impact was pretty small as well, just unlucky to pick up a puncture.
Yeah hard to believe Hamilton with damage is better than Russell without damage considering Russell has been better overall this season. Was a good drive from Hamilton though and he deserved to be driver of the day. Hopefully it'll lift his spirits and motivate him to keep his head down and work hard. When he got the puncture he was ready to throw in the towel telling the team they should retire the car to save this engine. The team really had to convince him to stay out. Tells me he still isn't in the best place mentally.

Yeah hard to believe Hamilton with damage is better than Russell without damage considering Russell has been better overall this season. Was a good drive from Hamilton though and he deserved to be driver of the day. Hopefully it'll lift his spirits and motivate him to keep his head down and work hard. When he got the puncture he was ready to throw in the towel telling the team they should retire the car to save this engine. The team really had to convince him to stay out. Tells me he still isn't in the best place mentally.

he’s always gone through these kinds of periods in the past. i think max helped push him to the next level as he couldn’t afford slow starts to the season. his team mate regularly out performs him at australia at the start of the season. he’s always tended to need a spark to get him going. he’s not had the car yet but looked closer to having one this weekend. if the car’s competitive i’d expect to see a different hamilton over the next couple of races.

My view was that people read into that radio message too much. I completely understood why in that split second he’d want to save the engine.

Think about the context of the car struggling to overtake in previous races and him being 35 seconds behind the car ahead. And then the expectation that the car could be much better in the second half of the season, where the engine life from yesterdays race could have been used.

That’s what the team is there for with the all data. I didn’t think there was any way back into the points at first and assumed the they’d make him continue to get more data on the car. As soon as they said he could get points, he got his head down and you didn’t hear another word.

They still had problems, Max's DRS for one, so I can see why they are not happy.
Merc will be over the moon with a podium and Lewis's run from 16th to get 5th, shows that what they are doing, is taking the car in the right direction.

What he meant also was Perez disgust from being reminded of his role within the RB team. Specially at half race when Max was battling the DRS and was trying to take ahead of Russell.

As Mexican and obviously fan of Perez, the best he can do is keep himself at top places if he really aims to battle Max, Leclerc or even Russell. Some people content he should be happy being 2nd seat but - at least for this race - it's OK for him playing that role. He worked hard to get his place in a car like he has, he hasn't extended his contract with RB and has to keep the good relationship with Max in order to continue with the results. It doesn't matter if he didn't win this race or battled those last 15 laps with Max because it was nearly impossible. The season is long and he will have other races where he can level the score.

Just look at Mercedes, they are slowly picking up the results and that's great, adds excitement to the sport.

It was fine but a car doesn't scrape the floor for half a lap and not sustain some sort of damage, small margins and all that.

It was fine but a car doesn't scrape the floor for half a lap and not sustain some sort of damage, small margins and all that.
The damage if there would have been on or behind the front left axle. Seeing as all the fast corners at spain are right handers and all the slow ones left handers, he may have got away because the aero underneath the car on the left side was less affected by the low speed left hand corners.

Ted Kravitz had a look at the car in parc fermme and couldn't see any obvious damage, so any damage that might have occured would have been underneath. As he had the fastest sectors of the day for sectors 1 and 3, i doubt there was any significant damage.

What he meant also was Perez disgust from being reminded of his role within the RB team. Specially at half race when Max was battling the DRS and was trying to take ahead of Russell.

As Mexican and obviously fan of Perez, the best he can do is keep himself at top places if he really aims to battle Max, Leclerc or even Russell. Some people content he should be happy being 2nd seat but - at least for this race - it's OK for him playing that role. He worked hard to get his place in a car like he has, he hasn't extended his contract with RB and has to keep the good relationship with Max in order to continue with the results. It doesn't matter if he didn't win this race or battled those last 15 laps with Max because it was nearly impossible. The season is long and he will have other races where he can level the score.

Just look at Mercedes, they are slowly picking up the results and that's great, adds excitement to the sport.

Seemed out of character for Checo I thought, especially in that race of all races. Can't remember the race but a few races ago he was ahead of Max in the championship and he played second fiddle in strategy giving up track position when the team came on the radio and instructed him. Then was the time to say no and fight it out on track, not Barcelona.

Checo’s only valid complaint was not being allowed to go past Max when he was on a different strategy and being held up by Russell. However, as it happened that was only a lap or so.

If you join RB, even more than other teams, you know you are going to be told to get out of the way of the number 1 driver. No point joining and expecting something different. He was always going to be ordered out of the way immediately when Max caught him.

Kevin Magnussen admits that his accusatory comment made over the radio in the wake of his opening lap clash with Lewis Hamilton in Barcelona was a "heat of the moment" reaction.

Hamilton was battling wheel to wheel with Ferrari's Carlos Sainz through Turn 3 on the opening lap of the Spanish GP when he lost out to the Spaniard and Magnussen attacked the Mercedes driver on the outside of Turn 4.

The two cars briefly touched but both drivers picked up a puncture that forced them to pit.

"Lewis just rammed me, he knew what he was doing!" an angry Magnussen said to his team over the radio, a comment that unequivocally suggested that Hamilton was at fault, although the stewards eventually thought nothing of the incident.

After the race, which Magnussen finished a distant P17, the Dane explained that the frustration of seeing his race ruined at the outset triggered his heated comment.

"Of course, you’re always pissed off in the heat of the moment," he said. "I’ll go and watch it again, see what happens and then move on.

"You say whatever you say, and then you go and look at it and it’s often a different story."

Fair play to him , admit it was wrong.

Magnussen downplays 'heat of the moment' reaction to Hamilton clash (f1i.com)

Kevin Magnussen admits that his accusatory comment made over the radio in the wake of his opening lap clash with Lewis Hamilton in Barcelona was a "heat of the moment" reaction.

Hamilton was battling wheel to wheel with Ferrari's Carlos Sainz through Turn 3 on the opening lap of the Spanish GP when he lost out to the Spaniard and Magnussen attacked the Mercedes driver on the outside of Turn 4.

The two cars briefly touched but both drivers picked up a puncture that forced them to pit.

"Lewis just rammed me, he knew what he was doing!" an angry Magnussen said to his team over the radio, a comment that unequivocally suggested that Hamilton was at fault, although the stewards eventually thought nothing of the incident.

After the race, which Magnussen finished a distant P17, the Dane explained that the frustration of seeing his race ruined at the outset triggered his heated comment.

"Of course, you’re always pissed off in the heat of the moment," he said. "I’ll go and watch it again, see what happens and then move on.

"You say whatever you say, and then you go and look at it and it’s often a different story."

Almost like immediate radio chatter should be taken with a pinch of salt. Ive seen loads of people taking Hamilton's comment seriously about parking the car up.

Imagine if footballers were mic'd up after conceding a goal? :lol:

Think Perez is a great driver, his defensive driving in the last race of last season was a big part in helping Verstappen win it. However, he's definitely a shade lower than the top 2 or 3 drivers in the F1 circuit today. No reason he can't develop to be a great driver. Good, likeable guy too.

It bodes well that Mercedes are picking it up and I hope Hamiton and his team are in a better place. I'm more disappointed with the luck of Leclerc though. Hopefully we can have 3 top teams going for it for the remaining of the season.

Can't really fault drivers too much for what they say. Adrenalin is pumping, things happen extremely quickly and their sport is among the most dangerous out there. It is also pretty unique that they are mic'd up for the full race, every race. It's bound to happen.

Now, if someone were to slap another driver after causing a crash that would be a different story, and would definitively make that driver a cnut for the rest of his career.

Almost like immediate radio chatter should be taken with a pinch of salt. Ive seen loads of people taking Hamilton's comment seriously about parking the car up.

Imagine if footballers were mic'd up after conceding a goal? :lol:

That's a good suggestion. Many posts on here claiming Verstappen is a cry baby also needs to be ignored then?

All fair points over K Mag, heat of the moment stuff.
DriverS say and do think they regret later, the adrenalin takes over.
Sky and other only let us hear selected bits of radio messages, we don't get the whole conversation.
Max and Lewis gets lots of stick for their moaning, but I just see it has part of the sport.

Sky and other only let us hear selected bits of radio messages, we don't get the whole conversation.
Max and Lewis gets lots of stick for their moaning, but I just see it has part of the sport.
Like footballers moaning at the ref. It's annoying, but just part of the sport

Think Perez is a great driver, his defensive driving in the last race of last season was a big part in helping Verstappen win it. However, he's definitely a shade lower than the top 2 or 3 drivers in the F1 circuit today. No reason he can't develop to be a great driver. Good, likeable guy too.

It bodes well that Mercedes are picking it up and I hope Hamiton and his team are in a better place. I'm more disappointed with the luck of Leclerc though. Hopefully we can have 3 top teams going for it for the remaining of the season.

:lol: He did defend well for two laps I’ll give you that.

Fuel being a fluid expands and contracts with temperature. The cooler the fuel the lower its volume. And as the ICE has a fixed combustion volume of 1500cc, it follows that the engine will develop more power with cooler fuel.

That's a good suggestion. Many posts on here claiming Verstappen is a cry baby also needs to be ignored then?
Did you hear max shouting and screaming about his DRS button calling his team shit? thats worse than I've ever heard from Hamilton

Literally every driver says something under duress.

Max has said some seriously questionable things on the radio but even mild mannered Seb has too.

Leclerc's failure was down to a turbo & MGUH failure, both beyond repair. He'll need brand new ones for Monaco.

Leclerc's failure was down to a turbo & MGUH failure, both beyond repair. He'll need brand new ones for Monaco.

Brutal for Ferrari. Monaco is definitely a race where you'd be reluctant to introduce significantly new parts - especially given Leclerc's history there.

Did you hear max shouting and screaming about his DRS button calling his team shit? thats worse than I've ever heard from Hamilton

Literally every driver says something under duress.

It was childish, but Hamilton's "Can I just give up" was literally in the same race and it was one of the most disappointing message you could hear from former champion.

Perez is 32 years old. Maybe we can swap him out for Lingard. :)

I think he may have done the majority of his developing already! But I agree with the rest of your post.

It was childish, but Hamilton's "Can I just give up" was literally in the same race and it was one of the most disappointing message you could hear from former champion.
The point is every driver goes through emotions. People trying to pick up on something on a spare of the moment radio call are ridiculous.

No matter who it is every driver will say something stupid at some point.

It's the problem of all of everyone's comments being heard at all times. Of course drivers talk shit, they're in the middle of an emotional rollercoaster (in sportive terms) while doing an extremely dangerous job that requires ultimate focus. Anyone saying only well-considered, restrained stuff in that context would be a robot.

I can see why you think that, but I disagree at the time he was 16th in a car I dont think he really trusts and for a second he thought why bother and for a few laps his times did not change much. Maybe there was a radio message, we did not hear or Lewis thought feck it I will do what I can and his times improved.

Perez is 32 years old. Maybe we can swap him out for Lingard. :)

I think he may have done the majority of his developing already! But I agree with the rest of your post.
13th most f1 races of all time

https://www.statsf1.com/en/statistiques/pilote/gp/nombre.aspx

If he races next season will be in the top 10 of all time GPS

As you say I think his developing is done with and it's about how long he can retain his current level (and is he happy to be wing man to max)

Gut feel he gets another season at red bull after this one as I think the continuity of drivers will help development of the car but at the start if the 2024 season he will be 34 and I wouldn't expect him to retain the red bull seat then

I can see why you think that, but I disagree at the time he was 16th in a car I dont think he really trusts and for a second he thought why bother and for a few laps his times did not change much. Maybe there was a radio message, we did not hear or Lewis thought feck it I will do what I can and his times improved.
Lewis explained that he thought he would be in a situation similar to imola where he got stuck and couldnt progress. Also as he had a new PU in the car, he didnt want to add pointless mileage to it. I think as he went on through the GP, his confidence in the rear end of the car grew (hes been struggling with that this season) and he started to pit in really good sector times. Shame about his puncture, maybe he could of gotten P2 or even held off Max (with a intermittent DRS flap) for the win. We wont know.

A photo of Lewis Hamilton appearing to be seizing the rear wing of Sergio Perez's Red Bull after last Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix has caused some unfounded speculation.
The picture which went viral on the internet show Hamilton and physio Angela Cullen passing behind Perez's car in an area that may have been part of F1's parc fermé after the race in Barcelona.

Some will make anything up, he was clearly just walking past.

https://f1i.com/news/442388-suspici...VyOVHvjvEWN6WJDVe8WG5kefiD2sk2rPD5Yx4UBZO5_ck