Explosions at Boston Marathon

What is this supposed to mean?

It's not supposed to mean anything. Two cities with sporting links, now tragic links on the same day.

Why do you think it would mean anything?

It's way to early to tell anything of who is behind this. It's all speculation right now. Anyone old enough to remember the Atlanta Olympics bombing might remember that.

It's pretty clear it was somewhat thought out. Not sure what the JFK library would have to do with it. Maybe there was some gathering planned there today?

Maybe it was the North Koreans......

It is Kim Il-sung's birthday.

Nothing about this, so far, suggests that it is obviously domestic, islamist, or otherwise. I'm sure we'll know more in the next few hours.

Edit: I got into contact with my friend who lives in Boston and she's ok. I was terrified while waiting to hear back.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/boston-police-no-arrests-have-been-made-in

A spokesperson for the Boston Police Department said no suspects have been taken into custody yet after the bombing at the Boston Marathon.

"At this time, we haven't been notified of any arrests or anyone apprehended," the spokesperson said.

The New York Post reported that a "Saudi national who suffered shrapnel wounds in today's blast" has been identified as "a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing." The Boston PD spokesperson did not confirm that report.

"Honestly, I don't know where they're getting their information from, but it didn't come from us," said the spokesperson.

The Post report was attributed to "a law enforcement source." According to the Post, the "suspect" is "currently being guarded in a Boston hospital."

Update (5:27 PM): A spokesperson with the FBI's national press office in Washington DC declined to comment when asked about reports a suspect or person of interest had been identified in the bombings.

Or maybe it was an insane person?

We don't know anything about the people or person behind this yet.

I hate the kneejerk al qaida stuff too. Could just be some weirdo sacked municipal worker with a judge. Idle speculation reinforces stereotypes and division.

Supposedly a baseball cap-wearing suspect arrested on Boston Common:

BH7C7dICMAAmWiz.jpg

I don't know . . . April 15th, tax day, Boston, home of the tea party, bomb at the Kennedy library . . .

Yep and one of the bombs was situated right near the VIP area for the Newton families and the last mile of the race was dedicated to them - possible motive?

It's way to early to tell anything of who is behind this. It's all speculation right now. Anyone old enough to remember the Atlanta Olympics bombing might remember that.

One of my favorite examples of how easily we can be coerced by media too. What was really remarkable about how Richard Jewell was accused of being the bomber at the Atlanta Olympics was the several days of the media creating a narrative after the bombing that led you from his troubled early life right up to the bombing. By the end, you were convinced it was clearly Jewell - except it wasn't. A reminder that the media (Government) can spin a tale to suit the agenda of their choosing

I hate the kneejerk al qaida stuff too. Could just be some weirdo sacked municipal worker with a judge. Idle speculation reinforces stereotypes and division.

Unless someone's trying to frame some militia or right wing patriot movement:

1) I believe it's just about the 20th anniversary of the Oklahoma bombing (Monday, April 19, 1993

2) Patriots' Day (important day for militias in US)

3) April 15th, tax day (most hated day for tea partiers)

4) Boston, home of tea party

5) Gun legislation currently being hotly debated

6) Marathons, typically won by Kenyans (totally stretching there)

Some pretty bleak coincidences.

1) I believe it's the just about the 20th anniversary of the Oklahoma bombing (monday, April 19, 1993

2) Patriots' Day (important day for mlitias in US)

You are joking, right?

1) I believe it's the just about the 20th anniversary of the Oklahoma bombing (monday, April 19, 1993

2) Patriots' Day (important day for militias in US)

Understood, but remember that nutter London nail bomber who blew up a gsy bsr and somehow tried to inflame a race riot too. Could be anyone.

Apparently cell service isn;t shut down but I haven't heard from my relatives yet

It's likely overloaded with traffic. I've been to several places where there are just too many people trying to use cellphones at once that calls won't go through. That was a few years ago and in much less populated areas, but I imagine it could still happen with a bigger population.

Fortunately all our family are accounted for, they have colleagues and friends still to hear from but hopefully they'll get confirmation that they're alright too, hopefully you'll hear soon too Eboue.

That exact thing happened during the terrorist attack in Norway, after the bombing before people knew who was behind, immigrants were abused on the streets and there was a hateful atmosphere towards foreigners and Muslims especially. Sad that some people aren't able to be rational.

It's been confirmed that JFK library was not a bomb, maybe they should have read their twitter feed 2 hours ago