Explosions at Boston Marathon

How on earth did they find that guy's facebook from a picture?

Also, just the fact he's interested in running doesn't automatically prove innocence.

The whole thing is stupid.

The fact that he went to the authorities to try to clear his name - the fact that he didn't go into hiding and the fact that the authorities said they weren't interested in him sure as hell does though....

Cop confirmed killed at MIT campus apparently.

Yeah, people on Reddit are listening to the scanner and heard it unfold. I listened to part of it. I'm too depressed to sleep now. :(

I hear this at work every day. The hardest day was getting to work and being asked "do you know who shot whom?" In January, my co-workers were in a gunfight. The 20 minutes while no one knew what had happened or who was hurt was unbearable. Luckily they weren't injured. One of the guys had bullets flying by his head.

Clarification: I'm not a police officer, but I work in a law enforcement agency.

Probably someone who already has him on facebook recognised his picture and spread it from there.

Yeah, I forget how big Reddit and 4chan are

The fact that he went to the authorities to try to clear his name - the fact that he didn't go into hiding and the fact that the authorities said they weren't interested in him sure as hell does though....

Correct, I was referring to the fact 4chan/reddit had cleared his name because he was into running though.

Yeah, people on Reddit are listening to the scanner and heard it unfold. I listened to part of it. I'm too depressed to sleep now. :(

As if you can listen to American police scanners. Where do you find them?

:nono: I wouldn't mention any of that if I was a spook, obviously.

And I'm not a rent-a-cop, either.

:lol: I think I lucked out on the law enforcement agency part, too, but I don't know...that FN you considered has spook written all over it.

Woahhh one of the cops said they have explosives and grenades. And shots fired.

Is there any live news coverage of this online? It sounds insane.

I read something a few minutes ago that suggested they were in the investigative phase now.

That is apparently incorrect as of 12:28 am.

They're powering down mobiles phones in case it sets something off

Has to be the marathon bombers surely. Were probably trying to wreak havoc at MIT with guns and explosives, but were recognized by the cop they killed, and then escaped. Or something like that.

A crude timeline:

1. Reports of an MIT Police officer shot (about two hours ago). At this point no one suspected anything connected to the bombing.

2. Reports of two "Middle-Eastern" suspects, "one dark-skinned, one light-skinned" carjacking a Mercedes sedan at a gas station and taking off west. This is when everyone "put two-and-two together".

At this point, police thought the suspects were headed towards the Mass T-Pike/I-95. Except instead of heading to these expressways, the suspects were headed towards this weapons stash.

3. The standoff you're listening to now.

Shit could've been a lot worse by the sounds of things.

A tweet I've just seen rt'd.

I heard the explosions from my house in Porter Sq--they're in Watertown in neighborhood behind Target.

2nd suspect in custody. Glad they've got them both alive, assuming it's them.

Edit: Maybe not

eLhpHqn.jpg

Scanner not working for me now. News just said they brought a tank in? :wenger:

And they showed uniformed soldiers in an armoured vehicle.