EU Referendum | UK residents vote today.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Obama in favour of TTIP, and the guy who just said that Europe couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery when it came to foreign affairs, that one? Or the president of the country whose intelligence agencies helped to found the EU in the first place?
Yes, Barack Obama is definitely more trusted than Iceland's PM. I don' think people's votes are going to be swayed by what either one thinks but if you had to pick one to put in a tweet supporting you...

It's just completely pointless information, he's the eurosceptic leader of another country and to our great surprise he doesn't like the EU, how is this going to turn into votes for Leave?
But isn't that a pointless comment. It's a bit like saying "he's the pro EU leader of another country and to our great surprise he likes the EU, how is this going to turn into votes for remain?"

Input from all sorts of people shows others that there can be life outside the EU. This man is stating it as it is, which is helpful to those who find it safer to believe that the UK has a voice in Europe.

But isn't that a pointless comment. It's a bit like saying "he's the pro EU leader of another country and to our great surprise he likes the EU, how is this going to turn into votes for remain?"

Input from all sorts of people shows others that there can be life outside the EU. This man is stating it as it is, which is helpful to those who find it safer to believe that the UK has a voice in Europe.
Not many people have been posting Matteo Renzi's views on our EU membership in here, to be quite fair.

CdfwaMdW0AA5eRF.jpg:large

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/14/brex...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

And there was me thinking that CFOs would be pushing each other out of the way to reach the lifeboats in the event of a Brexit.

15% is significent

"Slightly less likely", is not however.

The point here, is that the vast majority envisage no change at all in their behaviour; one more cut to the torso of Project Fear and Cameron's nonsense.

The point here, is that the vast majority envisage no change at all in their behaviour; one more cut to the torso of Project Fear and Cameron's nonsense.

Not nonsense. If even half that becomes true we loose a lot of business

Or we'd loose out completely as they couldn't compete with those shifting work within the EU

I fear that you are making the mistake of fixating upon the EU again, which is a sadly inward looking and conservative mindset. This is 2016 don't you know.

Not nonsense. If even half that becomes true we loose a lot of business
Tbf, Britain is too a big a market for them to just sack us off. Some politicians across Europe will be a bit pissed at us, but the businesses in those countries would have to be bonkers to take it personally. The EU could try to screw us on a trade agreement, but I can't see anything other than free trade continuing being the outcome.

The problem is, no one knows what the outcome of this EU referendum is. For example; if we lose access to the common market, and goods than come into and out of the EU have to go through customs clearance, then that is going to significantly increase the complexity of trading with our largest partner. If we retain access, than it will probably be fine.

Repeat 1000 times over in every other market.

The problem is, no one knows what the outcome of this EU referendum is. For example; if we lose access to the common market, and goods than come into and out of the EU have to go through customs clearance, then that is going to significantly increase the complexity of trading with our largest partner. If we retain access, than it will probably be fine.

Repeat 1000 times over in every other market.
Free trade will most likely continue though (assuming those articles about us being net importers from the EU weren't BS).

I doubt us leaving will cause an extreme change to immigration either, unless the older people in the UK agree to jump off a cliff in some horrific suicide pact we're going to need to import working people to pay their ever-increasing pensions bill. There would be a human cost on a lower, individual level, with some (what are normally absurd) immigrations laws causing great members of our society to get kicked out, which already happens to (low paid) non-EU workers at the moment.

Tbf, Britain is too a big a market for them to just sack us off. Some politicians across Europe will be a bit pissed at us, but the businesses in those countries would have to be bonkers to take it personally. The EU could try to screw us on a trade agreement, but I can't see anything other than free trade continuing being the outcome.

Europe is bigger then us, they'll dictate terms

I fear that you are making the mistake of fixating upon the EU again, which is a sadly inward looking and conservative mindset. This is 2016 don't you know.

The reason most right wingers hate the EU is that it offers a fair amount of protection to workers and consumers. If that's inward looking and conservative I will take it

Free trade will most likely continue though (assuming those articles about us being net importers from the EU weren't BS).
We are massively net importers. Just as a real world example of this, it tends to cost twice as much to bring something in from the EU than it costs to take something out, whether that be to/from Paris, Rome, etc.

Fwiw I'll probably wind up voting to stay in, it's going to do more good than harm in the long term, but most of the given reasons for staying in really piss me off.

Last edited:
If the stats posted earlier in this thread about us being net importers are true, and they might not be tbf, I didn't double check, we can tell them to go feck themselves if they try to saddle us with a shitty deal.

And what happens to our exporters when we tell them to go feck themselves. They can take the hit better then we can

And what happens to our exporters when we tell them to go feck themselves. They can take the hit better then we can
It was a figure of speech, meaning we won't get bullied in a negotiation merely because the EU is bigger than we are. You're better off arguing about what the Tories will do with less restrictions on their power than arguing a financial worst-case scenario which won't happen.

Let's talk about the EU working time directive. That bit of EU legislation that means you get:
  • a limit of an average 48 hours a week on the hours a worker can be required to work, though individuals may choose to work longer by "opting out"
  • paid annual leave of 5.6 weeks' a year (5.6 weeks * 5 days a week = 28 days a year, - 8 days bank holiday = 20 for normal people)
  • 11 consecutive hours' rest in any 24-hour period
  • a 20-minute rest break if the working day is longer than six hours
  • one day off each week
  • a limit on the normal working hours of night workers to an average eight hours in any 24-hour period, and an entitlement for night workers to receive regular health assessments.
The tories hate it, and have always hated it. Labour brought it in, and its bad for business (although great for the average Briton).

Cameron reportedly tried to get rid of it as part of the negotiations.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-hours-and-agency-staff-reports-10382279.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ron-working-time-directive-eu-referendum.html

I think it's also fair to say that that the average person simply does not understand it, especially when it comes to doctors and nurses. They think it's some ridiculous bit of legislation that means nurses have to have a break when they want to keep working.

In reality, having a break after 6 hours of work protects people from harm; the nurses and the patients.

So... why should we vote out?

Last edited:
Let's talk about the EU working time directive. That bit of EU legislation that means you get:
The tories hate it, and have always hated it. Labour brought it in, and its bad for business (although great for the average Briton).

Cameron reported tried to get rid of it as part of the negotiations.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-hours-and-agency-staff-reports-10382279.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ron-working-time-directive-eu-referendum.html

I think it's also fair to say that that the average person simply does not understand it, especially when it comes to doctors and nurses. They think it's some ridiculous bit of legislation that means nurses have to have a break when they want to keep working.

In reality, having a break after 6 hours of work protects people from harm; the nurses and the patients.

So... why should we vote out?
I still don't understand how that's meant to be a good thing for Cameron to bring home from a negotiation. That's the kind of thing that should have us on the streets trying to lynch him.

I really hope, that GB stays in the EU but I wouldn´t hold a grudge if you leave. There weird thing is, that I usually end up disagreeing with both sides of the argument.

I should add that much of the "legitimate" complaints against the EU Working time, regards the averaged 48 hour working week. This 48 hour working week is (normally) averaged over a 17 week period chosen by the employer, and is one of the sticking points of junior doctors.

And if there is one part of it I'm not 100% happy with, it's this bit. 48 hours a week is 9 hours a day Monday to Friday, plus 3 hours on Saturday. Not insurmountable. You can exclude the lunch hour from that if you want, and workers can opt out, but it includes holiday (so if you take a day off, you've worked a normal shift), and it's a complicated bureaucratic mess to work out.

I'd rather just have that you can't work more than ninety-six hours a week in any two week period. In reality, working 60 hours a week for several weeks in a row isn't going to be good for anyone.

But yeah, the rest I say is 100% valid.

I should add that much of the "legitimate" complaints against the EU Working time, regards the averaged 48 hour working week. This 48 hour working week is (normally) averaged over a 17 week period chosen by the employer, and is one of the sticking points of junior doctors.

And if there is one part of it I'm not 100% happy with, it's this bit. 48 hours a week is 9 hours a day Monday to Friday, plus 3 hours on Saturday. Not insurmountable. You can exclude the lunch hour from that if you want, and workers can opt out, but it includes holiday (so if you take a day off, you've worked a normal shift), and it's a complicated bureaucratic mess to work out.

I'd rather just have that you can't work more than ninety-six hours a week in any two week period. In reality, working 60 hours a week for several weeks in a row isn't going to be good for anyone.

But yeah, the rest I say is 100% valid.

I've spent most of the last 25 years working over the hours limit and signing the waivers. My experience of the directive is that it is used as a call to higher power by management to reduce your earnings but never your work load.It is used as a way to force you to not claim the hours you actually have to work by people who I would rather piss on than spend time in a room with.

It isn't relevant to me now and I really enjoy my weekends at home rather than at work but for a very long time this directive was the bane of my working life.

Is it true that, in England people on the right are more likely to vote on issues than people on the left? Could have serious consequences on this referendum if that's the case.

I've spent most of the last 25 years working over the hours limit and signing the waivers. My experience of the directive is that it is used as a call to higher power by management to reduce your earnings but never your work load.It is used as a way to force you to not claim the hours you actually have to work by people who I would rather piss on than spend time in a room with.

It isn't relevant to me now and I really enjoy my weekends at home rather than at work but for a very long time this directive was the bane of my working life.
I don't want to pry too much, but what limits where you working over? The 48 hour average, or daily ones?

Companies certainly try to exploit it as much as possible. I think it does a lot of good in retail; the supermarkets and shops tend to (easily) put the limits into practice and just get on with it. In other areas, I'm not so sure.

Is it true that, in England people on the right are more likely to vote on issues than people on the left? Could have serious consequences on this referendum if that's the case.
Maybe, but we tend to be very centric anyway.

2005: Green (1.0), SNP (1.5), Labour (35.2), Lib Dems (22.0), Conservatives (32.4), UKIP (2.2),
2010: SNP (1.7), Labour (29.0), Lib Dems (23.0), Conservatives (36.4), UKIP (3.1), BNP (1.9)
2015: SNP (4.7), Labour (30.7), Lib Dems (7.9), Conservatives (36.8), UKIP (12.7).

Certainly the right wing tends to vote more heavily in European elections. Maybe there will be a shy tory thing happening in this too.

I don't want to pry too much, but what limits where you working over? The 48 hour average, or daily ones?

Companies certainly try to exploit it as much as possible. I think it does a lot of good in retail; the supermarkets and shops tend to (easily) put the limits into practice and just get on with it. In other areas, I'm not so sure.

The 48 hour rule but we were told that you had to have 24hrs off each week which meant working very early Saturday and late on Sunday to achieve.

I imagine those who feel most strongly will be most likely to vote.

People on the Left tend to be somewhat bipolar on the EU, whereas many Conservatives fiercely detest it - that may give the Leave campaign an edge.

People on the Left tend to be somewhat bipolar on the EU, whereas many Conservatives fiercely detest it - that may give the Leave campaign an edge.
I think thats one f the reasons they have gone for a summer vote... its far easier to wonder down to vote on a long summers evening than it is to brave the cold wet and dark winters days when only the more hardcore vote turns out

I think thats one f the reasons they have gone for a summer vote... its far easier to wonder down to vote on a long summers evening than it is to brave the cold wet and dark winters days when only the more hardcore vote turns out

Yes, good look with that.

What I fear. From speaking to a lot of people, I get the impression vast majority would like to remain in the EU but I also get the impression that they aren't bothered enough to vote.

Nope, supermarkets rely heavily on management grades working considerably more hours, unpaid and without TOIL, than their contracts.

When I did it for a job, my contract stated 39 hours a week, basically 4 x 8hrs, and a 7hr short day. My actual hours were usually 0630-1730 Mon & Tue, 1100-2200 Wed, Fri & Sat 0630-1830, that's a total of 57hrs. During each of those shifts I'd be lucky to get a total of 1hrs breaks, normally 10-15min breakfast, 20-30min lunch and 10-15min afternoon tea break. So, that brings it down to 52hrs a week. However, as a manager I had an internal mobile phone which I was expected to answer when in break.

The above was considered normal by senior management, any less and they would get the hump.

Nope, supermarkets rely heavily on management grades working considerably more hours, unpaid and without TOIL, than their contracts.

When I did it for a job, my contract stated 39 hours a week, basically 4 x 8hrs, and a 7hr short day. My actual hours were usually 0630-1730 Mon & Tue, 1100-2200 Wed, Fri & Sat 0630-1830, that's a total of 57hrs. During each of those shifts I'd be lucky to get a total of 1hrs breaks, normally 10-15min breakfast, 20-30min lunch and 10-15min afternoon tea break. So, that brings it down to 52hrs a week. However, as a manager I had an internal mobile phone which I was expected to answer when in break.

The above was considered normal by senior management, any less and they would get the hump.
The being on a 39 hour a week contract, but actually doing far more, is very similar to the Sports Direct con to give everyone less holiday pay. But your shifts seem to be basically in line with EU law:

39 hours a week is well below the EU required working time to have AVERAGE hours below 48 hours per week. (I know you said you do more than that, let's get back to it later)

From the hours you've said, I can't see any breaks of less than 11 hours off.. 1730 end-0630 start is 11 hours off. 2200 end-11 start is 11 hours off. The rest is at least 12 hours off.

For the breaks, "workers must have at least a 20-minute break in any 6 hour period". Although your breakfast and afternoon tea breaks are short, that's obviously what they are there for. To break up those +6 hour periods.

So that pretty much leaves us with the last one; your 57 hour working weeks which should be averaged as 48 hours. Firstly this is averaged over a 17 week period. If you are working a lot more during peak times, and a lot less elsewhere, that's fine. You can also opt out of it; if you want to work more than that, you can. I'm not sure what the answer to this is; maybe you were volunteering to work extra time, maybe they asked you to sign an opt-out, or maybe they just get away with it.

TOIL is something that isn't really covered by the EU, but UK contract law. EU law doesn't care if those hours were unpaid either, as long as you aren't working too much and getting minimum wage. It's covered by contract law.

So what might change if we left the EU?

- Probably, the 20 minute break after 6 hours work will stay. The UK had a version of this before the EU law.
- The 11 hours off per 24 hour period would go. It's a thorn in the Tories side when talking about Junior Doctors and Nurses. The tories would probably argue it would give the economy a boost too.
- The 5.6 weeks a year holiday might stay too. The last said on it was that Cameron wanted to change it to 5.6 weeks a year plus 3 days volunteering.
- The 48 hours averaged working time would go. The tories are trying to change it to a maximum of 60 hours or something, even now. Again, it's hurting them when talking to doctors and nurses.

In addition to that; training might no longer count as work, holidays may no longer count as work, and so on.

Everyone talks as if the Tories are the only political party in the UK. If we do vote to leave then Cam et al will have their work cut out sorting the EU exit terms, so they won't have much time left to alter WTD laws. After they have sorted out withdrawal from the EU we'll be back to new elections. If Cameron starts fiddling adversely with any laws before 2020 the Tories may well just get voted out. Labour won't change the WTD.

Status
Not open for further replies.