EU Referendum | UK residents vote today.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would cite these three as examples of what i would consider to have crossed a line

If my joking posts crossed a line did farrage jump the shark

10727-1a0i9s8.jpg

What's hilarious - and when I say hilarious, I mean down right fecking frightening considering the amount of turmoil the whole episode will bring - is that when we vote to leave and we're slowly left behind over the next few decades, we'll probably adopt the Euro upon the inevitable rejoin.

That's nonsense. Even if our economy is damaged we won't be significantly left behind and we certainly won't consider joining the euro. It would be suicide to do so.

That's nonsense. Even if our economy is damaged we won't be significantly left behind and we certainly won't consider joining the euro. It would be suicide to do so.

Right now Europe is in a crisis. That won't be the case in 15-20 years time. These things are cyclical and the general trend is that after each decade EU prosperity grows. When we leave, we won't be significantly left behind at first. In fact I don't even think we'll notice.

However, over time the gap will slowly get bigger and bigger, unless the EU collapses (which I doubt it will). And when Britain is faced with poorer trade deals, I can envisage a future government seeking to rejoin. We probably won't adopt the Euro, however as all new members have to there will likely be a hench negotiation around it.

Unless we become a super prosperous island nation and start trading with the world and building a surplus, build a hundreds of thousands of affordable houses that this country desperately needs and significantly invest in public healthcare and education. Just can't see that happening, being led by the super conservative brexiteers.

I can't understand Remain at all. For me, the decision is between Democracy or not. If you vote remain you're choosing to become a member of the European super state where un-elected, unaccountable bureaucrats create laws and policies people have no control over.
The EU wants a European army and a European treasury. It's likely Britain will be forced, eventually, to adopt the Euro.

Only 4% of law in the UK is EU law, of which the vast majority is on those evil undemocratic items such as, errrrrr... workers right & social justice.
The EU is a lot more democratic than the bloody Houses of Parliament ffs!

Why EU ultimately becoming a state (like US) is a bad thing? And if that happens, how would be better for UK to not be part of the most powerful state in the world, who would also be in their doorstep and with whom UK would do most of the trade anyway?
No one answered this (especially the leave voters who are big on this topic) for me.

I can't understand Remain at all. For me, the decision is between Democracy or not. If you vote remain you're choosing to become a member of the European super state where un-elected, unaccountable bureaucrats create laws and policies people have no control over.
The EU wants a European army and a European treasury. It's likely Britain will be forced, eventually, to adopt the Euro.
I think you should do a bit more reading on how the EU & UK lawmaking process actually works.

Of course you will. You will be joining both euro and Schengen when you will ask to get in EU a few years from now. Because any other scenario won't be accepted by EU, and if you will be asking to join EU (which you will as soon as UK realize that being xenophobic doesn't solve any problem) then EU will have the upper hand in the negotiations.

Which is why I would prefer a leave vote now. UK has never been fully in EU, so it is better a clean break. If it works well for you, then good for you, if it doesn't (like everyone in their right minds predict), then you will join the EU same as all the other states who have to accept all the rules.

Why EU ultimately becoming a state (like US) is a bad thing? And if that happens, how would be better for UK to not be part of the most powerful state in the world, who would also be in their doorstep and with whom UK would do most of the trade anyway?
Complete political and fiscal union would be a hard sell.

Perhaps this is worthy of a separate thread.

Doubt anyone cares but as a 26 year old the biggest issue for me, or certainly my kids, is going to be the environment and not how many old age eastern European pensions I'm supporting. I think for sure this issue is best tackled by a something like the EU. Obviously world cooperation will be required but its a start.

Right now Europe is in a crisis. That won't be the case in 15-20 years time. These things are cyclical and the general trend is that after each decade EU prosperity grows. When we leave, we won't be significantly left behind at first. In fact I don't even think we'll notice.

However, over time the gap will slowly get bigger and bigger, unless the EU collapses (which I doubt it will). And when Britain is faced with poorer trade deals, I can envisage a future government seeking to rejoin. We probably won't adopt the Euro, however as all new members have to there will likely be a hench negotiation around it.

Unless we become a super prosperous island nation and start trading with the world and building a surplus, build a hundreds of thousands of affordable houses that this country desperately needs and significantly invest in public healthcare and education. Just can't see that happening, being led by the super conservative brexiteers.
Wishful thinking IMO. The finance market will suffer a lot immediately. London's stock exchange is still the biggest one in Europe, and all yankee companies do the main business there. With UK out of EU and so different laws, they will reallocate their European headquarters to Dublin or Frankfurt.

All projections seems to say that UK will lose quite a lot of money immediately.

Perhaps this is worthy of a separate thread.
If US and China can do it...

I actually think that it is inevitable that it is going to happen. But then I think that it is a good thing.

I would cite these three as examples of what i would consider to have crossed a line:

You are accusing three posters of being racist because they pointed out the racist undertones, or rather overtones of the Brexit campaign.
that reminds of the man on TV the other day - How dare you call me racist . .. everyone around here will be black soon
You're accusing me, who couldn't be less racist, who is married to you know one of those nasty EU nationals, my children and grandchildren have dual nationality

You keep waffling on about how bad the EU is or is becoming without any shred of evidence of what you're rambling on about, then anyone who disagrees with you you start being sarcastic and getting on your superior high horse and sometimes downright rude. . Well if you were so intelligent why in god's name can't you see what damage leaving the EU will do to the UK, your grandchildren will be eternally grateful to you.

Originally I thought you actually knew what you were talking about but apparently you're just one of the tinfoil hat brigade who refuses to listen to anyone who disagrees with them, I have no idea what your agenda is but it is certainly not having the welfare of the UK at heart.

Last edited:
1) We elect our members of the European Parliament.

2) Democracy doesn't mean getting your way every time.

The era of the great Scottish managers may well be over but jeez that their women are still fiery. That Davidson lassie played the British Trump like a violin. The last time I've seen something like that was when SAF destroyed Keegan. Maybe we can offer her the managerial role if Mou messes up?

I actually think that it is inevitable that it is going to happen. But then I think that it is a good thing.

I'm intrigued whether any Brit on here actually agrees with this and thinks we'll join the euro? And that it would be of benefit?

I'll be suprised if one person does.

I'm intrigued whether any Brit on here actually agrees with this and thinks we'll join the euro? And that it would be of benefit?

I don't think it is inevitable but I would like to see it. This is beyond the scope of the referendum though.

I think farrage may have a heart attack if we did - would that constitute a good reason? (my heart says no but my head says sign us up)

There is no European army. There is, however, this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Joint_Expeditionary_Force an international military force, led by the UK.

Neither Leave or Remain want that. Like most of Europe, we'd like to maintain our sovereignty. The EU provides us access and a framework to trade easily anyway, so as things stand we get the best of both worlds.

I don't think its inevitable and I don't see many extra benefits.

Yep. It's an obvious decision isn't it? Vote for proud British examples of democracy like First Past the Post, the House of Lords, and the monarchy. Vote for a Prime Minister we arguably didn't elect (and when he's replaced by Boris a PM we certainly didn't) because unselected (they arent) faceless (they arent) are making laws we don't have control over (they don't). And use our unilateral opt out which proves beyond doubt that we only have to agree to what we want to agree to to reclaim 'sovereignty' we never lost.

Maybe thats why Leave's democracy arguments are shallow rubbish that don't stand up to scrutiny.

I agree with him that if we leave the EU and ask to come back the cost of entry will be the full adoption of the EU's rules including the Euro. If we remain in the EU it will never happen.

IMO its the only way the EU can work, as it is now its shite

EDIT: Was meant to reply to this post

Last edited:
You sound like someone that has swallowed a Leave leaflet hook, line and sinker.

I can just imagine how unpopular Dutch/German etc taxes being spent in Greece would be. Likewise how happy the British would be to have a German or French president..

The manner in which Brussels and Berlin handled the bailout and resultant debt crises made things worse for the most vulnerable Greeks, and they could not have been aware of such, The country should have been allowed to leave the Euro and recover, but the credibility of the Eurozone was not thought up to the test. Millions have suffered as a result.

The migrant crisis goes well beyond Iraq and Syria, it includes the EU's wretched treaty with Turkey and the instability surrounding Libya. Policy formed in Brussels will have been responsible for hardship, abuse, injury and death. Did you not see MSF's statement on the matter last week?

The Lisbon Treaty has established the sway of QMV, as well as such wasteful endeavours as the European External Affairs Service (this latter already costing 1bn pa). The EAW is an infringement of a Briton's basic rights as criticised by Liberty. Judiciaries of lesser competency can extradite British citizens, with high profile cases where innocents have been kept in jail for many months.

Intelligence cooperation would occur irrespective of the European Union, as out ties with America testify to.

The EU already has an impact on VAT, an area which they hope to expand later this year IIRC. When Christine Lagarde was finance minister, she was a committed supporter of tax harmonisation, it's not a new thing.

I suppose that was to illustrate how i think European cooperation should have evolved over the years. Rather than courts, EU Commissioners and a flawed currency union; it should have been consumer protections, science (ESA, medical advances e.t.c.) and the environment.

I would cite these three as examples of what i would consider to have crossed a line:

Now i'll freely admit that i have been tad acerbic at times and sarcastic at others, but rarely without provocation. Related to which, i thought this to be one of the most apt replies during the debate yesterday:

Indeed. As it was I struggled to find someone to vote for last year, a win for Remain would could mean i fail to vote for the first time. Pretty much every party leader for 2020 would fall into one of two categories: complicit in deceiving the public, or unacceptable on policy grounds. So after two decades in which my passion for politics has gone to define part of who i am, there'll be nothing. Leave wouldn't be a certain thing either, but the status quo is dispiriting enough in itself.

Refreshing to hear some well-formed arguments for Leave. I agree with a fair amount of this, but I don't think leaving the EU would help with very much of it.

I can just imagine how unpopular Dutch/German etc taxes being spent in Greece would be. Likewise how happy the British would be to have a German or French president..
I am not saying that it will happen immediately, but I think that we are going towards a big European state. Maybe in 50 years, maybe in even more, and I cannot see why it would be bad in the end.

The 'little Englander', 'little German', 'little Frenchmen' etc mentality needs to die. The world is going toward globalism, and the national sentiments shouldn't have a place in the new world.

The EU really will fail if it attempts to over-centralize. I think there are too many smart people involved for that to happen.

The EU really will fail if it attempts to over-centralize. I think there are too many smart people involved for that to happen.
Why?

Anyway, I am saying that it will be a gradual (and very slow) process, but in the end it will be a single state. European Union is quite young in nature but so far it behaves in many things as a single state. Give it a hundred years and we'll be all living in the United States of Europe (well, our descendants, not us).

Anyone else thinking of not voting altogether?

I'm in by default but can't bring myself to vote in favour of the EU, nor do I remain convinced by the brexit alternative (not to mention aligning myself with the likes of Griffin, Farage, Hopkins, Murdoch and Skeletor).

I don't want to have to lament my choice later on.

I'm in by default but can't bring myself to vote in favour of the EU, nor do I remain convinced by the brexit alternative (not to mention aligning myself with the likes of Griffin, Farage, Hopkins, Murdoch and Skeletor).

If you're unconvinced by either argument surely the status quo is the best option and so a vote to remain is the obvious vote. If people like you don't vote and a low turn out leads to us leaving then you'll have plenty to regret later if (when) it all goes pear shaped.

I always vote... for anything, even if I'm undecided, I'll make a decision and vote.

It sounds corny, but there are still people around the world that are unable to vote in their countries... and people throughout history who have struggled/given their lives just to be able to be heard/vote... it's not a privilege that we as a nation should ever take lightly IMO.

Yeah, not voting cause I am undecided sounds crazy to me. If you do so, you are essentially voting for whatever party/decision which wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.