EU Referendum | UK residents vote today.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't it the eu who forced him to give up tobacco sponsors in F1... Though I imagine his pro leave decision is in no way related

Thats a good point forgot about that. Who could forget Buzzin Hornets?

Jordan.F1.BuzznHornets.2.jpg

One of my favourite statisticians (Ben Goldacre) has some blunt points on why he is voting Remain: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YdtUabICi-C1RMMJGOJQH2omv1sJ53zUlJLH1Ets8BM/preview?pref=2&pli=1

Pah fed up of listening to experts!

Actually great share - this a great points:

The Brexit campaign talk about “taking control”, about “building an optimistic future” for yourself. These are things you say to losers: to people who feel they have no control, or a gloomy future. It’s the language of crap self-help books in airport bookshops. You are better than that.

Just saw the highlights on the news... did Boris Johnson actually manage to rebuke any sensible points? It seems like all he does is just call any rational/sensible argument "part of project fear..."

I don't care what your politics are, or how your voting, but anyone who wasn't appalled by the level of debate on display tonight needs their head checking.

Probably the most important vote in our life times, and politicians can't just answer questions plainly for one night, they all have to spin their answer, play to the crowd, lie, put in patriotic nonsense, spread fear..... really disgusting.....

it all made me none the wiser about whether we should leave the EU but defiantly made me want to leave the uk if these are the people running our country!

If we remain, nothing changes and if things get worse we can leave at a later date. If we leave, it will be hard to get back in.

Not a difficult choice really.

The EU is already changing though, and charging nation's more. If not for Cameron's electioneering his government would have liked about a referendum just like Labour. If you look at the prevailing sentiment among the majority of senior politicians the prospect of another vote anytime soon is slim indeed. My grandchildren might be afforded that choice perhaps, or the EU will continue to evolve down its current path and they'll be denied even that. So i vote Leave to give my family's next generation some hope for the future, and that change is possible. Remain can offer none of these, as the Prime Minister's negotiations demonstrated.

politicians can't just answer questions plainly for one night, they all have to spin their answer, play to the crowd, lie, put in patriotic nonsense, spread fear..... really disgusting.....

Was this your first experience with politicians then?

Just saw the highlights on the news... did Boris Johnson actually manage to rebuke any sensible points? It seems like all he does is just call any rational/sensible argument "part of project fear..."
did anyone may any serious points, it just seemed to be a back and forth, of where stronger out no no where stronger in, lots of Britain can do it whether it staying or leaving......

anyone who was hoping for some actual information cos their undecided was looking in the wrong place!

The EU is already changing though, and charging nation's more. If not for Cameron's electioneering his government would have liked about a referendum just like Labour. If you look at the prevailing sentiment among the majority of senior politicians the prospect of another vote anytime soon is slim indeed. My grandchildren might be afforded that choice perhaps, or the EU will continue to evolve down its current path and they'll be denied even that. So i vote Leave to give my family's next generation some hope for the future, and that change is possible. Remain can offer none of these, as the Prime Minister's negotiations demonstrated.

You starting to sound like the man with the tinfoil hat by continually stating that we are heading to a United States of Europe route. Do people genuinely think we are constantly giving up our rights to the European Union? As Davidson pointed out only 4% of our laws last year came from the EU.

In any case your grandchildren would be better off in a more open society where the economy isn't damaged. We're the 5th biggest country and in part it's due to our membership of EU, let's not change it because we're scared that we don't have total control. Europe does have a lot of problems but we can't just wash our hands completely off it.

And yeah you're right our PM isn't great.

Was this your first experience with politicians then?
nope, use to volunteer for the labour party in 2010 election (and i own all 7 seasons of the west wing on dvd :p. ) but call me naive really though people might atcually put aside politics for once and try and help voters actually work out which way they should vote.

i was at least hoping for a debate where good arguments where exchanged back and forth, but nope, it was just, speculation, lie, fear, appeal to the crowd, accusations .......... just for once i was hoping for better.... how wrong i was

You should know then, that the vast majority are primarily concerned with one thing above all else - winning their next election.
yeah thats why i stopped helping....... just thought maybe as this isn't about getting elected their would at least be an adult debate......

Thats not an argument for Brexit in 2016 though.

Why would we risk losing access to the EU, perhaps for good, based on the possibility that the EU might turn into what you're saying it will. As long as the UK is part of the EU it will have a unilateral opt-out if, and it is if, the EU ends up like you're saying then I'll stand along side you calling for Brexit but, in the meantime? It just doesn't make sense.

:lol: I've heard it all now :lol:

You starting to sound like the man with the tinfoil hat by continually stating that we are heading to a United States of Europe route. Do people genuinely think we are constantly giving up our rights to the European Union? As Davidson pointed out only 4% of our laws last year came from the EU.

In any case your grandchildren would be better off in a more open society where the economy isn't damaged. We're the 5th biggest country and in part it's due to our membership of EU, let's not change it because we're scared that we don't have total control. Europe does have a lot of problems but we can't just wash our hands completely off it.

And yeah you're right our PM isn't great.

But we have recent history to show us how the EU will conduct its affairs. We also have the stated ambitions of its leading figures and nations regarding centralisation.

Open societies are also built around culture, for which the foundations are strong. One of the worst things i heard during the debate came from Tim Farron: where he pretty much stated that Leavers are insular and intolerant. There is a whole world out there, and each year we become more interconnected.

If there were a viable path to reform it might be something to, but such does not exist. Remain are asking me to give up any hope of change for what oculd be the rest of my life.

I'm still not sure what the point is. Everyone seems to agree that the economy will be hit, only the timeframe and if it'll bounce back at all remains up in the air.

So why bother?
Immigrunts and undecromatic EU fatcats.

Why EU ultimately becoming a state (like US) is a bad thing? And if that happens, how would be better for UK to not be part of the most powerful state in the world, who would also be in their doorstep and with whom UK would do most of the trade anyway?

But we have recent history to show us how the EU will conduct its affairs. We also have the stated ambitions of its leading figures and nations regarding centralisation.

Open societies are also built around culture, for which the foundations are strong. One of the worst things i heard during the debate came from Tim Farron: where he pretty much stated that Leavers are insular and intolerant. There is a whole world out there, and each year we become more interconnected.

If there were a viable path to reform it might be something to, but such does not exist. Remain are asking me to give up any hope of change for what oculd be the rest of my life.

Why do you keep making statements without backing them up? Which leaders? How can leaving make the UK more interconnected? What change?

As Ninja has pointed out we can always leave whenever we want, you're making it seem as though we will become a centralised state without anyone realising. We should remain in and fight the centralisation that doesn't work and go for the bits that don't.

To be fair to Farron, some Leavers are insular and intolerant - I have an official leaflet from Vote Leave (re. Turkey) to prove it. It's not hard to see why Farron would make that jump. We are becoming more interconnected which is why some of the rhetoric is intolerable.

Honestly I think the referendum isn't coming at the right time - Leave is asking us to #takebackcontrol and give it to Farage, Gove and Johnson and simply trust them. That's quite deplorable. Want to leave the European Union, come up with a plan that makes sense.

Culture doesn't have much relationship with openness. It's a vague concept that applies from London, to the middle east, to Russia, and across every bit of recorded history.

The EU is one of the ways the world is becoming interconnected. We're now working alongside the French and Germans rather than shooting at them.

A hell of a lot of the Leave vote are intolerant. A hell of a lot of them think Remain represents the privileged establishment and they will vote against it just because of that; because they feel disenfranchised. And so vote to disenfranchise themselves and almost certainly make themselves less well off. Others will vote Leave because they don't trust foreigners. They will. Many of these people are simply those who like to point fingers at others for the bad things in their lives.

What basis do you have for your assumption that the EU will evolve for the worse? What are the main aspects of the administration that you most strongly object to? For my part, there have certainly been mistakes made, most notably over inflation of economies that did not have the capacity to grow that was thought at the expense of the richer countries... but it looks to me like fingers have been burned and lessons learned on that one. What else?

Thats not an argument for Brexit in 2016 though.

Why would we risk losing access to the EU, perhaps for good, based on the possibility that the EU might turn into what you're saying it will. As long as the UK is part of the EU it will have a unilateral opt-out if, and it is if, the EU ends up like you're saying then I'll stand along side you calling for Brexit but, in the meantime? It just doesn't make sense.

It is a fact of the present though: the Lisbon Treaty, the EAW, Grexit, the migrant crisis, TTIP e.t.c.

This is about reclaiming European cooperation from the project it has been hijacked by. We could be dedicating ourselves as a continent to scientific research, but instead the they want to set taxes, and have their own foreign office. Greed, for power as well as money, is what rules the European Union of 2016.

:lol: I've heard it all now :lol:

Oh, look, it's another of my nominees for Worst Poster of the Year.

But we have recent history to show us how the EU will conduct its affairs. We also have the stated ambitions of its leading figures and nations regarding centralisation

I don't understand the big problem with centralisation, certainly when it comes to trade it makes sense that goods and services sold across 28 nations have a common set of regulations, it makes it easier for business

Status
Not open for further replies.