ESPN - Why Manchester United are still a mess under INEOS ownership

Brailsford is being paid by Ineos, not by United.
His expertise is in sports in general, with a heavy bias towards cycling.
However he has experience with football when he went through the same process at Nice, and despite the protestations of some on here, he has actually managed to turn them around to some degree whilst doing it within a relatively tight budget.

He did feck all with Nice. Quite an achievement in that league I might add.

I wonder if it was the Megabus that was on offer after the FA Cup final, or if they were expected to catch the cattle class train home, I mean how bad could it have been? And not sure offering to pay for your own flight home really constitues a threat.

It’s all just twatty missteps.

Imagine how much goodwill there would have been had the club decided to travel back on the train with fans. They could have booked out one or two carriages. Asked some families from down the train if they wanted to come into the team section for some photos.

No, it’s not how professional athletes should be travelling. But you can tell underperforming players that we’re trying to rebuild a connection with fans and want to give something back.

But no. Do the worst of all worlds. Pack a bunch of players onto a shitty long coach journey from London to Manchester after a long season.

I don’t support the players supposed mutiny to ask for a plane, but I do understand why they’d want to.

We're a cautiouary tale now about how not to rebuild

Rebuilding an empire - how Patriots hope to avoid Man Utd mistakes​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/articles/cj6e35e10xno

Also how much is a groundsman paid nowadays? Or any of the local club staff they cut? Bet none of them were over 30-40k a season. How much are you really saving by cutting them?

If we were really bloated in numbers, at least give those who had been here the longest priority to stay on. Or offer them a generous severance package or something.

More vastly rich multimillionaires out of touch with reality.

What an absolute crock of shite, our CEO and DoF have been in their jobs for about 4 months :lol:
This.

We've been horribly run for over a decade.

Even the greatest administration team in the world isn't going to be able to turn this shite around in 4 months.

I know it's a hard ask due to how awful things have been, but we've got to be patient.

And then we would have needed to go and buy replacements, spend transfer fees, give them contracts as well...

Replacements don’t have to be equal in transfer fees and wages. That’s what many of the fan base don’t get. When we sold the likes Hughes, Ince, Kanchelkis etc we replaced them with class of 92. No fee, and initially on lower wages. When we sold Beckham, Heinz, RVN, we replaced them with players who were on lower wages. And many of whom took a year or more to really shine. Eg Ronaldo only became WC at United in 2006. Then in time the players earn the right to increase their wages and guess what? They spend 1-2 years as top earners before being sold on and the cycle continues. Obviously Ronaldo being sold at 24 was not part of the plan.

Real Madrid sold Ronaldo for £100m and replaced him with Júnior for £45m. Should be stated for a few years many RM fans thought he was crap. They signed Milto before selling Varane, he cost £50m but likely he was on lower wages. Same with their cdm rebuild.

The point is you replace stars just as they start their decline. Ideally at the time when the media, pundits and many fans can’t see it and think it’s a mistakes.

Brailsford is being paid by Ineos, not by United.
His expertise is in sports in general, with a heavy bias towards cycling.
However he has experience with football when he went through the same process at Nice, and despite the protestations of some on here, he has actually managed to turn them around to some degree whilst doing it within a relatively tight budget.

9th (the season bicycle man was directly involved), 5th and currently 10th.

Apparently they’ve upset the players for letting most of the staff go. Some who have been there for 30 years. Bad move really to get players and fans onside

What an absolute crock of shite, our CEO and DoF have been in their jobs for about 4 months :lol:
Literally this. Imagine this happening in any other industry with a public company - a decade long stint by a management team deemed incompetent ends and the new personnel have this kind of article written about them after a few months.

Apparently they’ve upset the players for letting most of the staff go. Some who have been there for 30 years. Bad move really to get players and fans onside
The alternative being you just keep paying huge amounts to employ people you do not need?

Replacements don’t have to be equal in transfer fees and wages. That’s what many of the fan base don’t get. When we sold the likes Hughes, Ince, Kanchelkis etc we replaced them with class of 92. No fee, and initially on lower wages. When we sold Beckham, Heinz, RVN, we replaced them with players who were on lower wages. And many of whom took a year or more to really shine. Eg Ronaldo only became WC at United in 2006. Then in time the players earn the right to increase their wages and guess what? They spend 1-2 years as top earners before being sold on and the cycle continues. Obviously Ronaldo being sold at 24 was not part of the plan.

Real Madrid sold Ronaldo for £100m and replaced him with Júnior for £45m. Should be stated for a few years many RM fans thought he was crap. They signed Milto before selling Varane, he cost £50m but likely he was on lower wages. Same with their cdm rebuild.

The point is you replace stars just as they start their decline. Ideally at the time when the media, pundits and many fans can’t see it and think it’s a mistakes.

The United you're talking about is just not relevant right now. Fergie isn't around, along with his ability to plan ahead.

We don't have ready-made replacements coming through for those positions, and I doubt we had quality, sensible, cheapish targets for those positions on the horizon either. The club has been in a constant state of flux for months, including this summer, with the arrival of Berrada and Ashworth and others. I just don't think we were in a situation that allowed us to completely rock the boat like that. We had enough work as it is getting in new players in needed positions while not breaking the PSR rules.

Hopefully we're now getting reorganized in a way that WILL allow us to plan and execute things like that in the future.

The alternative being you just keep paying huge amounts to employ people you do not need?
We needed them under Fergie though? The amount of money being spent on wages isn’t affecting how the squad plays on the pitch.

We needed them under Fergie though? The amount of money being spent on wages isn’t affecting how the squad plays on the pitch.
Did we? I don’t even know how many are pre/post SAF but if they were actually needed I doubt they’d be getting let go.

I was wondering how long it would take for us to have another 'exclusive from inside the dressing room' speaking the players voice! Ineos are not doing anything different to what businesses do up and down the land when finances are tight; some of these 'caring' players need to fet their head down and concentrate on the pitch...I'll give a sh*t when then they get their act together...same goes for the manager!

Maybe if the players stopped demanding increasingly higher and higher wages then we didnt have too.
Footballers are paid too damn much.

Did we? I don’t even know how many are pre/post SAF but if they were actually needed I doubt they’d be getting let go.
My point was. A lot of them was their when Fergie was and we was successful under him. So getting rid of certain staff members doesn’t affect how successful we are on the pitch. The first priority should be getting the team playing consistently well.

Maybe if the players stopped demanding increasingly higher and higher wages then we didnt have too.
Footballers are paid too damn much.
Agreed. I’ve always said I wonder how well a lot of them would play if they was payed by performances.

When would a football team never need an experienced ground man?
You’d have to ask whoever made the decision but I’m assuming we have many of them.
My point was. A lot of them was their when Fergie was and we was successful under him. So getting rid of certain staff members doesn’t affect how successful we are on the pitch. The first priority should be getting the team playing consistently well.
Yeah but it’s 2024? A decade plus of Woodward spending has meant we are where we are. It’s normal in any industry you grow when you do well and then streamline when things aren’t so good. We need to spend to get back to being good again.

If that's the case then the players should accept a pay cut so that some of these people will remain in their job.

Slow news day, United won so now we have something else about how shit United is. Tedious crap about how bad everything is at United I don't believe a word.

Slow news day, United won so now we have something else about how shit United is. Tedious crap about how bad everything is at United I don't believe a word.
I can't be bothered with the media content online, radio, newspapers etc nowadays at all. Just fed up of the same tedious shite about how bad we are to generate likes and interactions. Very peaceful cutting myself off from it all but it shouldn't have to come to this

I can't be bothered with the media content online, radio, newspapers etc nowadays at all. Just fed up of the same tedious shite about how bad we are to generate likes and interactions. Very peaceful cutting myself off from it all but it shouldn't have to come to this
It's just ridiculous. Every single week we get a barrage of click bait about the shit at United, but City have 115 charges and we hear very little. It's just beyond idiotic really. Good for you mate.

Every media outlet is lining up that sort of thing these days, whether it's inside stories or stats analysis showing why we're so bad. The reason is simple - everyone figures ETH is on the brink of being fired, so the angle plays up to that. Rather boring and predictable, but that's journalism for you.

It's important to remember stories like Ogdens could have been made at almost any time, about almost anyone. You just line up some negative anecdotes (or anecdotes that can be given a negative spin), and then rely on your readers to place that in the interpretive framework they already have in their minds, which in this case is that United is a dysfunctional mess. Easy peasy.

To me, it doesn't really tell you much, unless there's something in there that seems both plausibly reliable and in itself represents an undeniable red flag without needing to be interpreted in a context of assumed general dysfunctionality. Things that say "there is no way this would happen in a club that wasn't in crisis". I don't see a lot of that sort of thing in Ogdens piece.

Which of course doesn't have to mean that reality is different than Ogden is implying. :)

Oh my god there is some gnashing of teeth on here. Manchester United is a football club. It is also a business the aim of a business is to make money by employing people to make the business successful and PROFITABLE.
It is not a charity.
I do realise that the vast majority of our fans are die hard Labour supporters and left wing devotees but if you are not actually helping the company and justifying your wages then I’m sorry but the door is over there, toddle off now there’s a god chap/lass.

If all this is true and it’s a big if, because this sounds like waffle, we got players with the weakest mentality in living memory.

I believe everything if Sancho was the source though. That kid is weak as feck.

If all this is true and it’s a big if, because this sounds like waffle, we got players with the weakest mentality in living memory.

I believe everything if Sancho was the source though. That kid is weak as feck.

All of this can be true without meaning much. Maybe players wanted to get a plane back after the cup final, maybe Brailsford was a bit unfortunate with his wording at that talk, maybe some players would have preferred not staying over in Porto, maybe someone thought the Sancho and Rashford's issues could have been handled better, maybe EtHs English sometimes leads to misunderstandings. It's perfectly possible for all of these to be true, but not represent more than minor annoyances and for maybe just some of the players. Hardly compelling, even if true.

Consider also what we're not reading: Things like a lack of confidence in training methods, tactics, game management or the coaching staff, or complaints about anything fundamental really.

Cultural change in an organisation will take time. Expecting at least a year and more internal appointments.

Cultural change in an organisation will take time. Expecting at least a year and more internal appointments.
Yep.

The reason why people are impatient is they were sold the dream of the Qatari state cheat code. They were convinced that would be the solution to all of our problems.

If that's the case then the players should accept a pay cut so that some of these people will remain in their job.
Agreed. I’ve always believed players should be payed by performance. Then the ones who down tools won’t get a full pay day.

Oh my god there is some gnashing of teeth on here. Manchester United is a football club. It is also a business the aim of a business is to make money by employing people to make the business successful and PROFITABLE.
It is not a charity.
I do realise that the vast majority of our fans are die hard Labour supporters and left wing devotees but if you are not actually helping the company and justifying your wages then I’m sorry but the door is over there, toddle off now there’s a god chap/lass.

Yeah, there might be good reasons for the layoffs. There really isn't much to indicate that this has been a high-performing, optimised organisation over the past decade or so. Still, that point could be made without resorting to the truly idiotic and naive claim that other than for charities, the only thing that matters in the real world is profit. That's not actually how the world works. Not even for the parts of it that is there solely to sell things, which a big football club is not.

I think they arrived and were fully aware of the inner workings of the club in May 2024.
I make that 5-6 months.
With this time, many changes could be made. And I'm not talking about reducing staffing costs in the canteen or the groundsmen.

Unfortunately, there is an ingrained thinking within some people that change takes a long, long time. It doesn't. Changes can be implemented within 2 months, and if you are intelligent and have the right staff ready to come in, the plan can be implemented from week 2 onwards.

I buy properties for a living and I draw up plans of what is to take place in Week 1, before the purchase of the property has even completed. And that's little old me. When dealing with a multi billion pound business like MUFC, I'll have staff under me to ensure that we have a plan in place, the day we take over the running of the club.

I do realise that major changes will take time to implement, but to hire key staff (which INEOS did, credit to them) and then to continue making exactly the same type of decisions that the Glazers made, is ridiculous.

When would a football team never need an experienced ground man?
How do you know whether that person was the only experienced one we had?
I think, this is a pretty uninsightful take. Fergie left more than 10 years ago. Our biggest sucess in recent history is almost 15 years behind us. Don't you think, stuff might have changed since then? Because more or less everything has changed around us in terms of organisation and efficiency. It feels like there is some a weird drag towards thinking that all we have to do is to recreate the conditions of Fergie times and then everything will be back to good. Its a quite questionworthy perception of reality in my book but apparently widespread nonetheless (seeing it even applied to some political aspects as well).
Yeah the hoops people are jumping through bootlick Ineos is getting weird.
The readiness of people to jump on their back on the base of next to nothing is just as weird as well.

Last edited:
You guys keep falling for shit players briefing. Our players are cnuts who get their entourage to do their dirty work. They should feck off. What have they given to this club?

I think a lot of things need to be taken into context. Last summer I said that this will be the last transfer window were we will be working the old fashion way. Needless to say I got massacred for it. Guess what? We ended up with what seem to be one of the most ETH's window ever. Out of 5 signings 2 were former Ajax players and another one was Dutch. We also added Dutch assistant managers and a Dutch Goalkeeper coach. In my opinion that was quite predictable. INEOS top people were entering the building in July ie too late to have a meaningful say on most things. SAF admitted that.

Regarding change, some will be instant, others will be felt at medium term and some will take years to be made. The instant ones are the so called 'easy pickings'. That rotate around a change of policy towards a more 'rigid' and disciplined way of doing things. For example we had reduced the leaks to a bare minimum mostly because INEOS had shown that they didn't like the circus surrounding it and had fired the guy whose saw ''clicks engagement' as one of the metrics he used to persuade sponsors to sponsor us. Medium term we will see competent people taking specialized roles and the training ground being renovated. Long term wise we'll see players who are a burden leaving after their contracts has not been renewed.

I am sure that INEOS will improve things up. Whether that's good enough remain to be seen. What United needed is someone with cash to burn who could go in with a proverbial flamethrower, burn everything and start everything from scratch. The risk of doing things gradually is that rotten apples has the potential of rotting good apples on their way out. Hence why SAF took the flamethrower approach when he first joined Manchester United. Unfortunately that's one hell of a cost that INEOS has no intention of paying for.

How do you know whether that person was the only experienced one we had?

I think, this is a pretty dumb take. Fergie left more than 10 years ago. Our biggest sucess in recent history are almost 15 years behind us. Don't you think, stuff might have changed since then? Because more or less everything has changed around you. It feels there is such a weird drag think that all we have to do is to recreate the conditions of Fergie times and then all can be good. Its a quite questionworthy perception of reality in my book but attractive nonetheless (seeing it even applied to some political aspects as well).

The readiness of people to jump on their back on the base of next to nothing is just as weird as well.
Not saying he wasn’t but it said that he was an employee of 30 years. Considering we have the ground and the training grounds im surprised that they did that

Everyone with iq higher than their sho size could see this coming.

We missed out on Qatar when old man Jim threw the Glazers a life line. That was the absolutely worst outcome possible and we will feel that the next few decades unfortunately. .

The future looks grim indeed.
He didn't throw them a lifeline. They could have easily decided not to sell anything to anyone.

Not saying he wasn’t but it said that he was an employee of 30 years. Considering we have the ground and the training grounds im surprised that they did that
Fair enough. But I mean, why wouldn't you? IF the story is true at all, there may be multiple reasons - maybe he wasn't interested in latest developments in the field, maybe he was sick all the time, maybe he was a pain in the ass to work with. The story paints everything in a certain light and I think, those stories shouldn't just be sipped and judged upon when we only know so little.