ESPN - Why Manchester United are still a mess under INEOS ownership

Most of the stuff mentioned reflects worse on the manager and the players than on INEOS. The only real bad one is the supposed treatment of long standing staff, that’s not good.

Fed up of seeing a new negative story about the club every day.

Went under Moyes.

From their quote:

'Everyone with iq higher than their sho size'

Says it all.
Valid point!
I think we did, yeah. That's my opinion and you are obviously free to have your.

May I ask what's so bad about being owned by some people in Qatar as opposed to being owned by Jim and the Glazers?

Judging by your post it sounds like it's something horrible. Why is that? Please enlighten me.
If you don't have an issue with state ownership in football then no matter what I say you won't change your mind.

people are so impatient. INEOS haven’t even been here for a full season yet. Not even half a season and stuff like this is being created.

Have that group at board level worked together before? We all seemed happy at the time with these people but I didn't think that these people are all different and may have issues working together

ESPN in sensationalism bollocks? Mark Ogden involved? Well I for one am shocked.

May I ask what's so bad about being owned by some people in Qatar as opposed to being owned by Jim and the Glazers?

Judging by your post it sounds like it's something horrible. Why is that? Please enlighten me.

The manner in which you disingenuously claim 'some people in Qatar', as though anyone opposed to the influence of Qatari government ownership constitutes racism, is absolutely pathetic.

people are so impatient. INEOS haven’t even been here for a full season yet. Not even half a season and stuff like this is being created.
It’s not like fans to be impatient and I don’t think media taps into this by pushing negative stories to enrage fans even more…

The club was built on standards, respect and community. Fergie had spoken before about finding that previous managers had resented Busby's presence casting a shadow over their time at the club. He came in, embraced the advice, invited him and Sir Bobby back into the dressing room.

The staff were respected just as much as the players from the tea lady to the cleaners. The man took his time to speak with and know all of them. There's not many ex- players who don't have a story about Ferguson chewing their head off for not signing a birthday card for the lady who worked in the canteen or something similar.

All that were the foundations of a club, a community. Reading Ferguson has been banned from the dressing room and we're appearing to make cuts to and not really valuing backroom staff, doesn't honestly fill me with confidence.

A club needs heart and soul and needs to understand, embrace and learn from and about its history. I'm not sure we have that. I think we might be seeing a very cold, analytical, 'on paper', top down approach. Like we've just been handed as task to a team on the Apprentice that's self-titled themselves 'Apex'

"I own some of the most expensive real estate in Monte Carlo and I'd prostitute my own grandmother for a fiver. I'm here to show Lord Sugar why I'm going to make him even more successful"

Just feck right off with that.

From ESPN (multiple journalists - Mark Ogden, Rob Dawson)

This is the article Andy Mitten was talking about last week, calling it an upcoming 'bombshell'. I think that's a big stretch but it is kinda interesting in parts.

-------------------------------------

On Brailsford:

Transport seething:

The Athletic wrote about this back in June. Apparently the transport offered by the club was a bus.

Bruno's contract:

Job cuts:

Pissing off Casemiro:

Pissing off Rashy and Sanchy:

Continuation of the #StrongMinds
Rashford has been a problem personality at this club for years, ego of Ronaldo with the ability of Obertan.

Rubbish manager + primadomna players + inept owners = a club in freefall with no ideas how to fix it other than 'the process'

So many weird claims, and there was barely any criticism of Rashford until his club crawl

It’s mad how transparent Rashford being a source for a lot of these articles is. It could only be hidden worse if they were like “a player who did not want to be named so we will call Rarcus Mashford said…”

Most of the stuff mentioned reflects worse on the manager and the players than on INEOS. The only real bad one is the supposed treatment of long standing staff, that’s not good.

Fed up of seeing a new negative story about the club every day.

This is true.

Although cream shirt and chinos is a fashion crime. So there’s that too.

It’s mad how transparent Rashford being a source for a lot of these articles is. It could only be hidden worse if they were like “a player who did not want to be named so we will call Rarcus Mashford said…”

It's been same for years though. The faux scratching of heads pretending it an unsolvable mystery who the locker room leak was when journalists were simultaneously printing fluf pieces about what a generous, Jesus-like character Marcus was for his charity work, pluggng his new book about his favourite types of saucepan co-authored by Gordon Ramsey, or whatever kind of extra curricular projects he had going on at the time.

So go follow psg. They've done a great job failing in Europe, destroying their league and alienating their best players.

Sounds like just who we need.

Sacking managers and invigilating the next manager under the new 'emergency powers' is the exact failing of the past decade.

'We hate context' but your solution is to sack the manager without naming a replacement.

Saying things like 'we need a competent manager' is all well and good, but the fact you will not risk your neck naming a replacement reminds us that some fans really are the problem.

Yeah, yeah, but the west...

Yep.
“Some fans are the problem”? Jog on pal.

Banter club. This is just a little glimpse of what is still to come too. If our board can't even decide on the most obvious thing (sacking EtH) can you imagine how our decision making will be for more nuanced matters?

It's been same for years though. The faux scratching of heads pretending it an unsolvable mystery who the locker room leak was when journalists were simultaneously printing fluf pieces about what a generous, Jesus-like character Marcus was for his charity work, pluggng his new book about his favourite types of saucepan co-authored by Gordon Ramsey, or whatever kind of extra curricular projects he had going on at the time.
You’d really hope that if the higher ups in the club weren’t aware of it before, they’re acutely aware of it after seeing it in an article that is scathing about them.

One member of the ground staff had been at the club for over 30 years," a source said. "He was let go by the club and was sweeping up on his own on his last day with tears rolling down his face. Nobody did anything for him, despite all the years he had given to the club."

Shameful and aggravating. That's not the way to go. Behaviour like this kills culture that has been established over decades. Can't wait to hear "Manchester United...we are like family" in another embarrassing social media post.

Even if we subtract the exaggerations, hyperbole and the creative license taken via the "a source said" rabbit hole, the general tone sounds awful. Awful for INEOS, awful for us, awful for the club.

Not sure what to think of this:

Some players struggled to boost their confidence under Ten Hag's hardline approach, and sources have told ESPN that one senior player asked low-level members of staff to give him motivational talks before games to help his morale.

This is so absurd and crazy, that it is hard to believe that some ESPN weirdo just came up with that. Now I really want to know who that player is.

It feels like somebody has been leaking again. The first comment about Brailsford is probably the most illuminating though. Regardless of whether Brailsford did say that, it seems the players have that opinion of the new guys; disconnected, wealthy, bellends who aren’t worth listening to.

"Some players struggled to boost their confidence under Ten Hag's hardline approach, and sources have told ESPN that one senior player asked low-level members of staff to give him motivational talks before games to help his morale."

If you're putting on a Utd shirt and going out to play in front on 70,000 people at Old Trafford and getting paid 100k+ a week and you need extra motivation to go out there to play football and do your best.

You should really consider a career change.

There's clearly still some rats in the camp, think we can all assume who the biggest culprit might be.

It feels like somebody has been leaking again. The first comment about Brailsford is probably the most illuminating though. Regardless of whether Brailsford did say that, it seems the players have that opinion of the new guys. Disconnected, wealthy, bellends who aren’t worth listening to.

You need to specify if you're referring to Brailsford or the players

Feck the players.
The job losses are sad but look at the size of the workforce compared to other clubs. We were bloated.

Do you have any statistics that support that?

Do other clubs not need a kitman or regularly sack staff that have been employed for 30 years just to save a few pennies? Is this what makes them successful football clubs?

The concern I have is everyone on here pushed so hard against the Saudi investment that they saw INEOS as a good thing when in reality it was an absolutely terrible idea/set up from the get go. We have multiple owners who all want different things and the only thing they have in common is a track record of being greedy. None of them are going to invest the money in the club for it to be successful because their prime interest is profit/self service, n having loads of them is definitely not a better idea than having one.

I don't subscribe to this "its only been 9 months"...Radcliffe was involved and planning this long before that, and 9 months in football is actually a pretty long time. Not long enough to expect to be winning titles or seeing the team transformed completely, but long enough to have some idea of what the positive changes are. The only real changes have been to sack lots of people to save our owners some money, which anyone who knew anything about Radcliffe shouldn't be at all surprised by. I'm also sure many of us have worked at places where this sort of thing has happened and know that it rarely has a positive impact on anything other than the owner's pockets.

There have also been some things I have found even more alarming than expected. For example, Sir Jim revealing part of his master plan was to sign a random player from Nice, to United, because him and some guy who used to manage a cycling team thought it'd be a good idea. Then moaning because apparently neither of them knew enough about running a football club to know this was against the rules. I have no idea how to run a football club, and I knew this was against the rules.

Freezing out Sir Alex. Another thing that was largely dismissed on here. I doubt SAF left because he suddenly didn't like Man Utd anymore, and he may not be as in touch with things as 10 years ago, but I strongly suspect he knows more about how to run a successful premier league team than anyone at INEOS does. Now that knowledge well is gone.

Embarrassingly disinterested/belittling comments from Radcliffe about the women's team, and again, people will be dismissive of it, but the club is an entity. And this goes hand in hand with all the cost cutting stuff. You can't beat down on one part of the football club and expect to be able to lift another part of it up. You affect morale across the board and send a message to everyone outside the club that its not a good place to come and work. Which includes managers and players who you might want.

Also, my personal favourite, announcing to the press that all our players are for sale, effectively lowering both the value and confidence/motivation of every single one, which, unsurprisingly, has been reflected in how they've performed on the pitch.

IMHO INEOS so far have mostly demonstrated that a) none of them really have a clue what they're doing, and b) Sir Jim is a bit of a tosser.

The concern I have is everyone on here pushed so hard against the Saudi investment that they saw INEOS as a good thing when in reality

It was Qatari investment, but your point is there.

I've never seen Ineos as a good thing, either. Thought both options were self-serving shite and was depressed by both bids.

The Finnish entrepreneur was intriguing but was never going to happen.

The alternative was and is crap, too.

Would reluctantly take Ineos at an almighty push due to the sports-washing for a dictatorship angle
some here pretend wasn't happening, but never expected Ineos to be anything.

Would take absolutely none of them if King for a day. Would usually support fan-ownership, but some of the histrionics on here...

Clearly clickbait.

Don’t get sucked into this tripe. Ogden is a bellend who loves writing about us as it gets him engagement in his pieces.

The bit about the long term employee, if true, is upsetting and disappointing. Other than that I’ll pay little attention to this and move onto watching the Brentford game through my fingers.

I see @noodlehair has gone off on one again. Christ. Fergie frozen out is a bit of a fecking stretch. He’s lost a £2mill yearly salary for doing sweet feck all, thats it.

I just don’t get where people on here take their trust in the new owners from.

So go follow psg. They've done a great job failing in Europe, destroying their league and alienating their best players.

Sounds like just who we need.

Sacking managers and invigilating the next manager under the new 'emergency powers' is the exact failing of the past decade.

'We hate context' but your solution is to sack the manager without naming a replacement.

Saying things like 'we need a competent manager' is all well and good, but the fact you will not risk your neck naming a replacement reminds us that some fans really are the problem.

Yeah, yeah, but the west...

Yep.
Me naming who I'd pick as manager is irrelevant to what INEOS will do. I would take Amorim in a heart beat, with Xavi and Inzaghi my other picks. I would take Ruud as interim till we get that done. Ruud for the rest of the season, sign an agreement with Amorim and we are moving in the right direction. I can stick my head out all I want but INEOS make the call, but they need to get EtH out that's for sure. With anyone other than him we would at least set the team up not to concede like this. It's abhorrent stuff, naive and mind boggling.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos

It’s a low bar to begin with and we’re desperate.
You’re so absolute in your support, though. That’s so strange to me. Every person coming in, is basically the new saviour and no criticism is accepted. Be it players or staff. And once the shit hits the fan again, there’s this 180 turnaround. I just don’t see what INEOS are doing so far, that warrants this level of trust and the complete dismissal of critical articles like the one here.

We fans are part of the problem, we hate context and love falling for clickbait. INEOS have been in place for less than a year to fix a decade long problem. It's going to take a lot of unfavourable decisions and short term losses to achieve any substantial and sustainable gains. Folks expecting a change overnight were delusional.

The one thing I can firmly criticize them for is the handling of Ten Hag, they made a hash of that. He should be gone and tbh with him gone and someone competent in charge, a lot of the spotlight will be taken off them. As long as EtH is in charge and results continue going the way they are, INEOS will remain under scrutiny. These off the field stories will continue to be used by media to further exarsurbate the situation. EtH being sacked will be the stone that kills a lot birds for INEOS. They need to act quick.
I think the problem is getting a replacement tbh. Who would we get?

Brailsford shouldn't even be talking to players.

Ten Hag is the line manager for them.

What goes on in the corporate is nothing to do with the players