ESPN - Why Manchester United are still a mess under INEOS ownership

Brailsford shouldn't even be talking to players.

Ten Hag is the line manager for them.

What goes on in the corporate is nothing to do with the players

It might have just been a low key hello chat. It'd be unusual if they never chatted.

"One member of the ground staff had been at the club for over 30 years," a source said. "He was let go by the club and was sweeping up on his own on his last day with tears rolling down his face. Nobody did anything for him, despite all the years he had given to the club."

The helpless millionaire players supposedly looked on at this and thought how cruel, why doesn't somebody do something. Oh well I'll just head back to my mansion in my Bentley.

I've been made redundant after 15 years in a company and left jobs in the past. You don't get a fanfare from the company. It's your colleagues that do that.

The complaints mostly make the players sound like whiny children who don't show any agency or ability to fight for anything at all, apart from when they have to get a bus from London to Manchester.

Regardless of who the next manager is, it would seem there's a few of these lads that still need shifting as they're not good for morale.

I’m kind of with the players on the bus thing. Nobody wants to be a bus wanker if they can help it. Given the choice of a 4 or 5 hour coach journey through tedious traffic jams, or a flight I could easily afford, it wouldn’t be a difficult choice. I can’t imagine Ratcliffe and Brailsford are getting on too many coaches.

I just don’t get where people on here take their trust in the new owners from.
I’ve wondered that with some of the blind faith shown in a clearly unpleasant man and cohorts who have everything to prove.

Brailsford doesn’t just have a corporate role. His whole “marginal gains” shtick will involve sticking his nose into every aspect of football at the club.

Yeah and he can do that without too much interaction with players I think.

Let the layers do their job.

My own take is that in a few years we'll be no further on than we were with Glazers.

Same corporate shite

Some players struggled to boost their confidence under Ten Hag's hardline approach, and sources have told ESPN that one senior player asked low-level members of staff to give him motivational talks before games to help his morale.

This is so incredibly pathetic that if it’s true, massive if, that no matter who the player was I’d want them sacked.

ESPN hate us. I refuse to read anything from them. They're the most ABU source on the internet. Even when we win the headlines dig into us. They're also the first to spread the worst rumors, even unsourced. Fck. Them.

Really fecking pissed me off reading that. Things need to change in many ways and fast. These guys are all fecking talk at the moment...

Presumably because the main man is a) local b) a fan of the team and c) extremely wealthy. Which ticks most of the boxes any football fan wants from the owner of the club they support. Although box c) usually means they are also not a particularly nice person. Swings and roundabouts.

From ESPN (multiple journalists - Mark Ogden, Rob Dawson)

This is the article Andy Mitten was talking about last week, calling it an upcoming 'bombshell'. I think that's a big stretch but it is kinda interesting in parts.

-------------------------------------

On Brailsford:

Transport seething:

The Athletic wrote about this back in June. Apparently the transport offered by the club was a bus.

Bruno's contract:

Job cuts:

Pissing off Casemiro:

Pissing off Rashy and Sanchy:

Continuation of the #StrongMinds
I'm sure there's a lot of truth in this, but it's always easy to frame things like this when it's going so badly. If we were winning and the same things were going on behind the scenes they wouldn't be writing this, because nobody would care, so it wouldn't get read.

The club has been shite for a long time, and none of that is the fault of INEOS. I know we don't like to hark back to the SAF days anymore, but I watched that interview he did with McCoist the other day. The part that really struck me was when SAF said that no matter where he went, he would make sure there was expectation on the team to be successful, and the players needed to understand that. That's probably part of why he preferred to develop young players, as you could install that in them easier, groom them to be winners.

We don't have that anymore. It's been lost over the last decade of mismanagement, and bringing that back is the biggest challenge. You either hope you manage to get the next legendary inspirational manager, or you have to try and build it slowly behind the scenes, which could take God knows how long.

ESPN hate us. I refuse to read anything from them. They're the most ABU source on the internet. Even when we win the headlines dig into us. They're also the first to spread the worst rumors, even unsourced. Fck. Them.
Yep, they have history. Just ignore it.

No issues with the employees being let go, it’s a business, not a social club. They worked, they got paid, that’s all

This is absolutely true. And they're also a collection of incompetents. But those snippets do come across as leaks from the player(s), which is the concerning part.

If INEOS were full of ruthless geniuses I can look past the sacking of the groundskeeper, who may or may not have been redundant to all the other groundskeepers, but it still strikes me as ridiculous that INEOS would sack a redundant groundskeeper whose wages are not even a rounding error on the financial statement while they’ve gotten it completely wrong with the manager whose player selections and tactics have us continuing to drift further and further down the table to the point where now have to dismiss concerns about being relegated. This was all avoidable had they taken the bitter medicine in June instead of worrying about sacking groundskeepers.

Presumably because the main man is a) local b) a fan of the team and c) extremely wealthy. Which ticks most of the boxes any football fan wants from the owner of the club they support. Although box c) usually means they are also not a particularly nice person. Swings and roundabouts.
I guess that makes some sense. Though their track record with sports ownership is hardly inspiring. Personally I’d remain highly skeptical until there are actual positive signs. On the other hand it’s kind of cool that you still have this optimism after all these shitty years.

I think trust is too strong a word. They basically gave us as fans an option that isn't state ownership.

I think as they are in place and what went before was so awful I think people are operating in hope rather than any concrete trust?

As you see from this thread, a nothing piece in ESPN is all it takes to cause concern.

You’re confusing hope with trust. There’s reasons to be hopeful under new owners, people are hoping for better with them, but I don’t see anyone trusting them explicitly.

It’s not really trust on my part, and I do have some concerns. It’s more like they haven’t really had enough time just yet, and will need quite a lot more before we can judge one way or the other. But as Moses said/implied, the leaks aren’t reassuring.

I guess that makes some sense. Though their track record with sports ownership is hardly inspiring. Personally I’d remain highly skeptical until there are actual positive signs. On the other hand it’s kind of cool that you still have this optimism after all these shitty years.

It’s not a case of continued optimism despite those shitty years it’s fresh optimism because there’s been a shake-up at a club that has clearly been allowed to drift to a very bad place. Obviously they still have it all to prove but I don’t see why football fans being optimistic about a change being positive is strange.

What mess that took years to rectify?

We're not talking about building the new La Massia or new stadium. Just getting functional football again.

Sack the manager, identify problematic player and tell them this is their last warning, empower the new manager to act with iron hand, results. If things dont work out, analyse from there and improve.

You dont need 3 years to know ETH is the wrong un. Keeping him is bad for the morale.

Nobody is expecting a title push, just correction of course and start doing the basic right. Then we'll see from there.

Football is no magic. You employ the right person and see improvement. The way 99.999% other clubs are doing.
Absolutely. It really should not be too hard to implement. Identify players with the right profile and character for future signings too none of these weak minded players like Sancho.

I believe this refers to the period immediately after the sale went through, so it would be a meet and greet type deal selling the project to the staff. He met rank and file too. It’s not something ten Hag could do.

Rubbish article, probably bullshit. At the very least it is greatly exaggerated.

I believe this refers to the period immediately after the sale went through, so it would be a meet and greet type deal selling the project to the staff. He met rank and file too. It’s not something ten Hag could do.

Well exactly. If they came in and didn't address all of the staff it would be very strange.

It feels like somebody has been leaking again. The first comment about Brailsford is probably the most illuminating though. Regardless of whether Brailsford did say that, it seems the players have that opinion of the new guys; disconnected, wealthy, bellends who aren’t worth listening to.
This applies to 99% of the team themselves TBF.

So, in summary, Ten Hag takes a hardline with the players, Brailsford is a little bit David Brent, Ineos like cost-cutting and the players are looking for someone to blame (again) for their terrible performances. What else is new.

No issues with the employees being let go, it’s a business, not a social club. They worked, they got paid, that’s all

Totally disagree. Part of our current problem is the fact it's "just a job" on and off field. A club grows from being a community. We're not some telemarketing franchise. Even City with their financial backing seem to get this. It's not to say we have to be a knitting circle, but a place where people turn up and get paid to do a job and go home and that's it - isn't a football club. It's a telesales enterprise.

We used to understand that in the not too distant past.

Last edited:

Ive never felt like the minority buy-in was really in the best interests of the club and a deal that kept the Glazers in the driving seat certainly wasnt in the best interest of us fans who had spent years protesting for the Glazers to go.

Having a minority shareholder in charge of the Football side of a club probably isnt tbe best idea and could well end in disaster and/or infighting if the majority shareholders start to disagree with what the minority shareholders are doing and start pulling rank.

What does this even mean? My manager’s manager has spoken to me before, as has done his manager. And in a company I interned (let’s call it for simplicity Mvidia), the CEO was having meeting with us.

So I do not see anything wrong with people higher up in the hierarchy speaking with the players. In fact, this was never a problem before here or in other clubs.

This sounds more critical of Ten Hag than Ineos. The treatment of Sancho and Casemiro for example is a manager and player issue not anything to do with Ineos.. Not sure I am buying that story about the guy who served 30 years. If true then yes that’s disgusting. Ineos aren’t perfect i was very much in favour of a full takeover. But this article from Ogdon is laughable he is a total hack and like others have said ESPn are absolutely clueless about football I blocked them years ago on social media listening to then is no different to the trolls who have Saka and Trent pictures on Twitter level for level of football insight . He and them are always looking to stir up trouble . Fergie would of banned him years ago. Another point the Dave whatever he is called thing a little cringe. But seems like these players are never happy and seem to have an ego which is not warranted given how much they have stunk out the place last 5 years. Aren’t they also the same ones who mocked the American Coach Ralf brought in.

Last edited:
Totally disagree. Part of our current problem is the fact it's "just a job" on and off field. A club grows from being a community. We're not some telemarketing franchise. Even City with their financial backing seem to get this. It's not to say we have to be a knitting circle, but a place where people turn up and get paid to do a job and go home and that's it - isn't a football club. It's a telesales enterprise.

We used to understand that in the not too distant past.
This. I think the way costs are cut is probably having an adverse effect. Staff can be reduced without painful layoffs of committed longtime employees.

Things have to change, but without destroying the good elements of the culture at MU.

A knitting circle is a great idea tbh, as are any other bonding activities.

It's that time of the year to throw the manager under the bus. New leaf FC

We need to be ruthless with this set of players, they've been doing this one too many times

Some of the quotes are pretty damning it's an inside job for sure. Clickbait or not there's too many details for it to be false