Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
What are you on about? Wout didn't start.
He came on didn't he? He came on, shoving Bruno on to the wing to accommodate him. Why bring him on when he offers nothing? Why not bring on Pellistri and leave Bruno where he is? Thats what i mean. He just keeps giving Wout minutes for nothing.
Thats what Im on about.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Of course it did but I think this time it was on the manager. We wanted Frenkie and clearly couldn't afford both players.

Casemiro was 20-30m cheaper and probably allowed us to get it done and it cost us.

Antony hasn't even been good either. He's actually been largely poor.
He's been fine for his first season considering he didnt have much of a pre-season and was injured. He has contributed some big goals this year.

He is not remotely near the top of the list of issues we have. If you want to single out a winger that doesn't perform look no further than Sancho...

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
It's sad when you think how far we're off from challenging for the CL as well as the PL, we're a good 3-4 years off from that.
So true. If Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs didn’t have nightmare seasons like they have, one wonders where we would have been placed in the league.

UDontMessWith24

Not sure I could watch team sports if my understanding of it was so limited that I blamed the manager for that second half. Players looked satisfied and disinterested before a single sub was made. Get a fecking grip on reality

gajender

If I have to rate Ten hag based on season so far then I would give him rating of 6 out of 10 .

Beat City in FA cup final while qualifying for Champions League with any drama then the rating becomes 7 , missout out on top 4 from here and lose FA cup final his future as United manager needs to be evaluated .

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If I have to rate Ten hag based on season so far then I would give him rating of 6 out of 10 .

Beat City in FA cup final while qualifying for Champions League with any drama then the rating becomes 7 , missout out on top 4 from here and lose FA cup final his future as United manager needs to be evaluated .
Nah :lol:

TsuWave

Not sure I could watch team sports if my understanding of it was so limited that I blamed the manager for that second half. Players looked satisfied and disinterested before a single sub was made. Get a fecking grip on reality
You know a manager is supposed to control that, right?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We went in late precisely because of ETH. He spent the entire summer chasing a Barca midfielder who clearly didn't want to come.

Can't blame the club on this one even though some will do. The manager dictated the window this time. The Frenkie De Jong chase was embarrassing.
Of course you can. Competently run clubs don't expect the manager to dictate transfer activity.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The biggest thing for me is Weghorst today. Why are trying to fit a horse in a dining room? Just play Sabirzer when we need more energy in midfield and drop Bruno deeper.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
1. He got fired for sexual misconduct
2. He recently had a stroke

Edit: Those two are not related :wenger:
Hehe, yea I know. Couldn't turn the TV on for 2 weeks or they were talking about his.. photography skills. Still, would be cool having them two work together again.

JuriM

It's not gonna be a beautiful end of the season in terms of gameplay, so we just need to hope for the best in terms of results. Most of our players are overplayed already and their form is on down spiral and struggle to keep 90 mins on play.

city-puma

This is an ok result. After we played Barca, my real concern at that time was that we completely run out of stream in the last phase of the season. Our form dropped earlier than I thought but we have gradually bounce back bit by bit over last few games including this one. Hope we continue to find our form and the solution in the team to handle the loss of Martinez. DDG has been ruthlessly exposed his weakness but I think ETH can find a solution. Looking forward to the next game, a really hard one.

NZT-One

The club was a shambles when ten Hag took over. But so it was when every other United manager took ever. That's the point. I don't see anything special here. Is the football better than last year? Sure it is! But so it was for all the other managers too in their first year at the club.

It's not the improvement over last year that I doubt, it's the statements that claim he is doing an miracle job. A miracle would be to challenge for the league, but we are certainly not doing that. There are no miracles here, just a good job.
Amen to that. It shows the oversaturation somehow that good seemingly isn't seen positive anymore.

Fully agree. Was questioned about my system that produced the same rating. 6 of 10 is fantastic in my book, more than that usually indicates a freak season or something unsustainable. If we could establish our club our club on a stable 6 out 10 level, I'd be happy. We have a lot to do still - years with the last coaches meant we missed a lot of time working on things that are seemingly now bread and butter, I'd argue that at least half of Bundesliga or Ligue Un Teams can produce a more effective press than we do - thats how far we are in behind, lets catch up first before we talk about wonders and needing only the best of the best players because only those are able to improve us.

MrBest

Why do people think that United should be doing better than they are? I think ETH has worked wonders with this group. He brought in 3 or 4 players, lost Ronaldo, replaced him with a league one striker. That alone, doing half the season without a proper striker is incredible. He has Brough Rashford back to life, Shaw and Bruno is playing some great stuff. He won our first trophy in 5 years against a team that does not lose. He has taken us to a fa cup final too and reached the quarters of the europa league. Most importantly, he has had us in the top 4 consistently most of the season, despite a disaster start. Not counting the first 2 games, 5 defeats in 29 is pretty good considering how we ended last year. He also has a win % of 68%, other than pep, who has done that in there first season. We can question his subs, sometimes I do to, but after the first 11, we really have rubbish sitting on the bench. The general play is not out of this world, but ETH wants to play a different way, he just does not have the players he needs to achieve this. Also worth mentioning that he's navigated injuries to big players and has had this team playing and fighting 2 games a week for about 4 months. If you think about the mess of last year, and what we have done this year, that transition is not easy and it's done at the helm of the worst owners I'm history, they want to sell, they don't want to sell. For me, this man has done a 7 out of 10 so far. Cement top 4, ill give him 8 and win the fa cup too, he's blown my expectations and deserves a 9. No one in my eyes gets a 10. We were never going to challenge for the title this year, ludacris if anyone actually is comparing there thoughts to that.

glasgow 21

Whilst the panic has clearly set in lets not all loose our heads and that is including Ten Hag. Sancho and Antony was clearly not why we lost this game so don't know what game some are watching. A player as Antony cannot perform without service. Clearly there are players not listening to instructions as Awb who should have stayed on needs someone to tell him to f ing stay put and defend. Why he goes wondering is beyond me surely that is not his detail. Most players should have stayed on as subs added nothing (Fred is either done or wanting excluded from squad) Spurs had the initiative from their first goal. If Antony comes off Pellistri should have been his straight replacement but our 3 midfield for one reason or other had only 40 mins of drive in them. It is what it is, but this squad need major surgery. We are expecting too much of ETH and this squad that is miles behind City probably 3-5 years and a drive-through at Fort Knox. to top it of we lost Cavani, not replaced. DVB ( season ended) and Ericksen and the Glorious Glaziers allowed 2 loans even though Ronaldo moved on. Garnacho and then lost both Varane and Martinez same match and Rashford and Casemiro missing for different reasons. McTominay out and Maguire useless all in all ETH isn't god and not even Pep would have managed this any better.

jem

Yeah because knee-jerk short-termism is clearly the way to success...

Andersonson

What is our style of play? Can anyone actually say we have one?

He has been here a year now, and he hasnt improved us much compared to Ole. It has been some, but not much.

If they dont bottle the top 4 he should continue. If next season starts with us being pissed on by Brentford, he should pack his bags. I still believe he has something, but some of our games has been truly embarrassing

sepulturite

Jesus the same whoppers come out of their cave every time there's dropped points, it's fecking ridiculous. As I said before there's clearly people on here who don't want him here for whatever reason, anyone that denies that is either in that category themselves or are as blind as a bat.

I Am Zlatan

I feel for him, he’s essentially forced to make substitutions due to fatigue/players coming back from injury, but the quality and the performances of the nonstarters is simply not there.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That match was the perfect one to understand what is wrong with us in terms of general play. First half with time and space you can see the progress made in how well we move it around but in the second , and I saw this coming a mile away, as soon as Spurs started pressing us, we crumbled and relied on counters and individual moments. People go on about substitutes, team selection etc but this is a 5-7 year problem with us and that’s what ETH has to try and fix over the next 2 and it won’t be easy. There’s too many players who can’t execute the right action in a small space of time - I can’t see them suddenly soon it.

That’s why I say that every signing this summer has to be aimed at playing possession football because it’s what we are incapable of doing when teams get in our faces. So even the CF, if this Osimhen has average general, we should not sign him as in halves like he too will be chasing shadows. Get players, 5 of them, in like Martinez etc who can play the kind of football we want to. P

amolbhatia50k

It's sad when you think how far we're off from challenging for the CL as well as the PL, we're a good 3-4 years off from that.
We finished 6th last year. Of course we are miles off. Even the sides who are there took a long time of strong work to get there. To think we can flick a switch and do it is crazy. Arsenal took 4 years to come 2nd.

amolbhatia50k

He came on didn't he? He came on, shoving Bruno on to the wing to accommodate him. Why bring him on when he offers nothing? Why not bring on Pellistri and leave Bruno where he is? Thats what i mean. He just keeps giving Wout minutes for nothing.
Thats what Im on about.
The other week people criticised bringing Pellistri on as well. No matter what the sub is, if the result is bad people will whine. And if the result is good, they most likely wont. People are saying subs are shit but Fred was one we all would have made to give us legs.

amolbhatia50k

Sabitzer for Eriksen and pressed from the front. Sabitzer has more match rhythm and sharpness than Fred.

We should've made as less changes as possible and let the players on the pitch sort it out.
Sabitzer isn’t even a CM. Would leave our engine room weak. He’s busy masquerading as a forward in most games. Eriksen lost his legs and since when has he been a good pressed never mind ‘from the front’. Fred is the best pressed we have, bar none.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
In what way are my posts hypocritical? As far as I am concerned we are doing well under ETH, the evidence of that is a) comfortably top 4, b) already won a trophy, c) in the final of the FA Cup, d) some good signings e) highest win rate of any United manager in his first 50 games. Therefore defending that is justified.

What is hypocritical is people who defended Ole even through periods that were FAR worse than anything that ETH has served up, sticking the boot in on ten Hag at every opportunity - in spite of him outperforming Ole by every metric in his first year. Do you not see the difference?
Didn't you know that the sky is falling? ;)

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I feel for him, he’s essentially forced to make substitutions due to fatigue/players coming back from injury, but the quality and the performances of the nonstarters is simply not there.
This place is a madhouse after every point dropped.

But you have nailed it.

How many games have we played?
We play again on Sunday
Then Thursday again.
Then Sunday again.

We are fortunate we are out of the UEFA Cup.

The fact is we have a thin squad.
After the first 12 or 13 players we quickly come down to players who should not be here.
Heck there are some regulars who should not be here.
De Gea for starters.

Erik is clearly the successor to SAF.
I have followed United since Busby and that is my opinion of course.

DDG
AWB
Maguire
Fred
Sancho
Martial

All these players should be gone.
And of course others who do not even make the squad regularly.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We actually won at 3-0 Spurs 3-0 just last season ......

Ok. Screw Ole. Van Gaal has finished in the top 4 and has won a cup. Mourinho has also finished top 4 and won 3 cups. Every new manager that has come in has taken over 'a shambles'. Van Gaal took over Moyesies 7th place disaster, Mourinho had to correct Van Gaal ball, Ole took over Mourinho's mess.

There's nothing special about Erik's situation this year, it's just where its always been when a manager at United gets the sack.

It's been a good season, but I just cannot get why people hype him up so much.
It's all true there might be no progress, if we just skip watching the games and only see results at the end of season.

gajender

Yeah because knee-jerk short-termism is clearly the way to success...
I didn't say sack him but if United manages to screw up top 4 from this position then wouldn't you think some sort of evaluation is atleast warranted .

amolbhatia50k

I didn't say sack him but if United manages to screw up top 4 from this position then wouldn't you think some sort of evaluation is atleast warranted .
You say this every week seemingly desperate for it to happen. We aren’t messing it up. We will finish in the top 4.

gajender

You say this every week seemingly desperate for it to happen. We aren’t messing it up. We will finish in the top 4.
You are confusing me with some one else I haven't even once predicted United not making top 4 comfortably .

I believe for all the hyping up of Liverpool they would drop points in atleast 2 of their remaining games so they will end with 67 points Max , So for United to miss out we need to be in relegation form so basically 8 points from 7 games which is highly unlikely but if it happens then offcourse I would like United to reassess the situation .

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The other week people criticised bringing Pellistri on as well. No matter what the sub is, if the result is bad people will whine. And if the result is good, they most likely wont. People are saying subs are shit but Fred was one we all would have made to give us legs.
There isn't a sane person praising Wout introduced as a sub.

bringbackbebe

Some of you have no sense of loyalty to the work that's being done. Top 4, a cup win and at least a cup final were wet dreams last season.

kouroux

I consider it abysmal tactics to shift our best player (Bruno)on the right in order to accomodate our worst player (Wout) in his position. It's a crime against football basically

amolbhatia50k

There isn't a sane person praising Wout introduced as a sub.
So all the criticism about his subs is about Wout? He rates him as a potential impact player to do what he did vs Argentina (changed the game big time). I don’t agree with Wout as a footballer but that’s his thing. That aside his subs are mostly good. People have issue with Pellistri, Fred etc based on which way the wind blows. It’s just the nature of the “quick, find someone to blame ” Internet mentality.

That second half wasn’t even a new problem. We haven’t been able to deal with the press for a decade going back to the Bilbao game. Hopefully new signings this summer will help (albeit maybe not fix).

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
This is mental.
After every good result, this thread gets like 2 pages of comments.
After something doesn't go our way, the place becomes shitshow.

get a fecking grip.

next year there shouldn't be threads for making fun of liverpool, arsenal, city,spurs forums etc.
Many people in here constantly have much more laughable meltdowns than what we make fun of.

Watch us beat Villa on Sunday and this thread getting 10 comments.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

This is mental.
After every good result, this thread gets like 2 pages of comments.
After something doesn't go away, the place becomes shitshow.

get a fecking grip.

next year there shouldn't be threads for making fun of liverpool, arsenal, city,spurs forums etc.
Many people in here constantly have much more laughable meltdowns than what we make fun of.

Watch us beat Villa on Sunday and this thread getting 10 comments.
He does get plenty of praise (as he should) to be fair. It’s just that the criticisms are often just people being frustrated and not having a point to make.

kouroux

So all the criticism about his subs is about Wout? He rates him as a potential impact player to do what he did vs Argentina (changed the game big time). I don’t agree with Wout as a footballer but that’s his thing. That aside his subs are mostly good. People have issue with Pellistri, Fred etc based on which way the wind blows. It’s just the nature of the “quick, find someone to blame ” Internet mentality.

That second half wasn’t even a new problem. We haven’t been able to deal with the press for a decade going back to the Bilbao game. Hopefully new signings this summer will help (albeit maybe not fix).
I know it's mine, it's one monumentally stupid decision that ETH keeps making. What he did vs Argentina is an outlier, we've had enough material at Utd to see he's completely useless at everything and shockingly in the air too.

Moreover the decision impacts the whole attack when his teammates basically refuse to pass the ball to him cause they don't trust him. The decision to have Bruno on the wing to play Weghorst is pure lunacy. Imagine what Bruno must be feeling when he sees Wout take his spot

It's one decision but it's so stupid I have no words

amolbhatia50k

I know it's mine, it's one monumentally stupid decision that ETH keeps making. What he did vs Argentina is an outlier, we've had enough material at Utd to see he's completely useless at everything and shockingly in the air too.

Moreover the decision impacts the whole attack when his teammates basically refuse to pass the ball to him cause they don't trust him. The decision to have Bruno on the wing to play Weghorst is pure lunacy. Imagine what Bruno must be feeling when he sees Wout take his spot
I actually thought he played the role quite well when we went on a run (including va Barcelona) so it’s not quite lunacy but I agree that it’s not producing and should stop. I just don’t believe it’s multiple subs like we read here every week, which seems to have become an easy go to for some fans - his subs cost us the game etc I mean why analyse what goes wrong when you can just pin it on subs or mentality or bottle?

But managers make decisions we disagree with all the time. I remember a point when I would be up in arms every week with Sir Alex starting Young or something. I think I’ve mellowed in this regard. It’s much more important that the overarching direction and general management be right than a few minute details.

Now if we sign him permanently that might tip me over the edge :lol:

jem

Well evaluation is always needed, even in good times. But I want ETH to be given time and proper backing.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
ETH is doing fine. What we need is to rid ourselves of the deadwood. DDG, Maguire, Lindelof, Fred, Weghorst, Martial etc and replace them with actual dependable squad players and first teamers.

Arsenal doing great this season is mostly down to them having excellent recruitment over several windows. Same with Liverpool a few years back.

AshRK

Another game our players put in a mediocre performance and we see 10 plus pages of questioning ETH and one idiot even asking him if he should be sacked. There is a reason we end up with these mediocre players and keep on asking for managers to be sacked. We just love to overhype our players.

EtH is not perfect and has to fix certian things but look at our bench and look at our fixtures list. He trusted Fred to do a job and he did a shit job , how is that managet's fault. Did anyone see Martial's performance? How can those things be put on him. He can't have his first 11 play for 90 mins. Squad has to be trusted but truth our squad is not that good.