Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Rusholme Ruffian

You are serious? Look at your posts recently. Have some awareness.
In what way are my posts hypocritical? As far as I am concerned we are doing well under ETH, the evidence of that is a) comfortably top 4, b) already won a trophy, c) in the final of the FA Cup, d) some good signings e) highest win rate of any United manager in his first 50 games. Therefore defending that is justified.

What is hypocritical is people who defended Ole even through periods that were FAR worse than anything that ETH has served up, sticking the boot in on ten Hag at every opportunity - in spite of him outperforming Ole by every metric in his first year. Do you not see the difference?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Well, he could've said no at that point, and we sign or loan Danjuma instead
He was the number one target. The recruitment team let him down in their attempt to get the deal done swiftly and we quite literally paid for it. It was obvious to everyone that Antony was our top target in that position and we had to show that we were backing the new manager and get him.

That is categorically not on Ten Hag

Same as Frenkie.

Someone

Something
Still think he's doing a great job this season, but I'm certain that if he isn't ruthless in the summer with some players, he won't be here for the next one.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
No one said that but I like how the arguments here about United managers always end up with such statement not matter who's in charge : "I think he has been bad at at managing the club recently". "So you expected us to win the league in his first season ?".

Zero creativity. I bet some of you just have these posts saved in text file on your PC and just copy paste it when discussions about the manager happens.
No one has said that
Expectations are ridiculously high for a team that was absolutely horseshit last season, the season before, the season before that and the season before that. In fact, we've been fecking horrendous for about 10 years. ETH has tried to challenge in every competition and had to cope with numerous, and I mean numerous, injuries. We're now missing our first and second choice defenders, our only CF has spent the entire season on the sidelines, our most creative CM was out for 3 months, our only good DM has missed 7 games through suspension. Yet after all that, here we are, in pole position for top 4, a trophy under our belt, a cup final against our bitter rivals. Yet, you'd think we were facing relegation with all the commotion after a draw.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I have actually noticed we have the weakest attack among the top 5 ? Other teams in top 5 scored at least 10 more goals than us. Spurs who have been shit scored 12 goals more than us. That's really kind of a damper not gonna lie. I thought we had better offensive stats ?
A lot of that is because our finishing has been largely shit.

According to Understat, we've underperformed xG by 7.6 for the season so far. Only Chelsea, West Ham, and Everton have had worse finishing by that measure. Spurs have scored 12 more goals than us from 5 less xG (and yeah, xG is a bit shit for several reasons, but one thing it's decent for is long term trends like that).

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I think it's obvious he's a very good coach but he shouldn't really be allowed to make his own signings.

The thing is I don't believe Murtough and co. are good enough to be responsible for our transfers either.
I'm in the same boat. Can't we just persuade Overmars to come here?!

el3mel

Expectations are ridiculously high for a team that was absolutely horseshit last season, the season before, the season before that and the season before that. In fact, we've been fecking horrendous for about 10 years. ETH has tried to challenge in every competition and had to cope with numerous, and I mean numerous, injuries. We're now missing our first and second choice defenders, our only CF has spent the entire season on the sidelines, our most creative CM was out for 3 months, our only good DM has missed 7 games through suspension. Yet after all that, here we are, in pole position for top 4, a trophy under our belt, a cup final against our bitter rivals. Yet, you'd think we were facing relegation with all the commotion after a draw.
What are these expectations you think are "ridiculously high" ? For someone claiming we're talking a lot of nonsense, you do imagine points and then post replies on them.

Rusholme Ruffian

We win a cup semi final on pen against the 8th team in the league. That's far more than enough to ignore the shitshow that has been happening since winning the cup.

Do you even hear yourself in the mirror saying such ridiculous things ?
Apologies for not hearing myself in the mirror, I should pay more attention. Only a very strange football fan would describe remaining comfortably in the top 4 and qualifying for the FA Cup Final - in the midst of an injury crisis as a 'shitshow'. Do you even enjoy football?!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
What are these expectations you think are "ridiculously high" ? For someone claiming we're talking a lot of nonsense, you do imagine points and then post replies on them.
You literally complain every time we lose. I assume you're expecting us to win every game. Hell, we made the FA cup final and this thread moved more after we picked up a point against Spurs. Like I said, expectations are ridiculously high.

We have a chance to win 2 of the 4 competitions we were in along with a top 4 finish and you're still complaining. Again, I can only assume that's not enough, so what are your expectations? The only thing that could better what we're achieving so far is a title challenge.

el3mel

Apologies for not hearing myself in the mirror, I should pay more attention. Only a very strange football fan would describe remaining comfortably in the top 4 and qualifying for the FA Cup Final - in the midst of an injury crisis as a 'shitshow'. Do you even enjoy football?!
Yes, and that's why I realize when we're playing good football and when we're shit, and I don't put excuses for it.

el3mel

You literally complain every time we lose. I assume you're expecting us to win every game. Hell, we made the FA cup final and this thread moved more after we picked up a point against Spurs. Like I said, expectations are ridiculously high.
Complaining after dropping points is now "ridiculously high expectations".

I have seen it all I guess.

Rusholme Ruffian

I have actually noticed we have the weakest attack among the top 5 ? Other teams in top 5 scored at least 10 more goals than us. Spurs who have been shit scored 12 goals more than us. That's really kind of a damper not gonna lie. I thought we had better offensive stats ?
we haven't had a fecking centre forward! Have you only just noticed our goal difference? We have most clean sheets (in spite of the narrative of us constantly getting spanked) - it's our offensive stats that need improvement...

mu4c_20le

He was the number one target. The recruitment team let him down in their attempt to get the deal done swiftly and we quite literally paid for it. It was obvious to everyone that Antony was our top target in that position and we had to show that we were backing the new manager and get him.

That is categorically not on Ten Hag

Same as Frenkie.
Not entirely on him but he had the final say on transfers. He should've known the guy was not worth that much, or is too limited to be our starting winger.

Also, not defending our recruiting, but they prioritized Timber first because cb was more important. If we signed Antony first then maybe they ask for more for the defender.

Berbaclass

Not entirely on him but he had the final say on transfers. He should've known the guy was not worth that much, or is too limited to be our starting winger.

Also, not defending our recruiting, but they prioritized Timber first because cb was more important. If we signed Antony first then maybe they ask for more for the defender.
It's not his job to decide how much players are worth. He is also our best player on the right. We are noticeably worse when he doesn't play so I categorically don't agree that he's not good enough to be our starting winger.

pascell

We were being dominated for 15 minutes before the subs were made. That’s why he made them. If he hadn’t done anything then the exact same posters complaining now would have been in here moaning about him “not doing anything”.
Our first 2 subs were made on 61 minutes and one of them was Martial, hardly a pressing machine to push Spurs back. The other was Fred, who I wouldn't be surprised if he was playing for Spurs next season given the amount of times he played it to their players.

On 71 minutes he brought on Malacia and Weghorst for AWB and Antony meaning both our left and right side was distorted from the changes and that where Spurs threatened the most.

Poor in game management.

mu4c_20le

It's not his job to decide how much players are worth. He is also our best player on the right. We are noticeably worse when he doesn't play so I categorically don't agree that he's not good enough to be our starting winger.
I meant for a club with titles and cl winning aspirations. Not just be better than Elanga and Pellestri for 85m.

Gazza

We actually won at 3-0 Spurs 3-0 just last season ......

Ok. Screw Ole. Van Gaal has finished in the top 4 and has won a cup. Mourinho has also finished top 4 and won 3 cups. Every new manager that has come in has taken over 'a shambles'. Van Gaal took over Moyesies 7th place disaster, Mourinho had to correct Van Gaal ball, Ole took over Mourinho's mess.

There's nothing special about Erik's situation this year, it's just where its always been when a manager at United gets the sack.

It's been a good season, but I just cannot get why people hype him up so much.
What does this mean?

RedOrange

Like ETH but without Rashford peaking, we would be 4 or 5 places lower in saying that, a good striker be a few places up.
"Well he can't be a very good manager because if one of his players scored fewer goals the results wouldn't be as good."

RedOrange

Our first 2 subs were made on 61 minutes and one of them was Martial, hardly a pressing machine to push Spurs back. The other was Fred, who I wouldn't be surprised if he was playing for Spurs next season given the amount of times he played it to their players.

On 71 minutes he brought on Malacia and Weghorst for AWB and Antony meaning both our left and right side was distorted from the changes and that where Spurs threatened the most.

Poor in game management.
Who would you have subbed on?

Paul_Scholes18

I feel we play well in some games and really shit in others.

We need to learn to controll games better.

Hopefully the cup final is like vs Barcelona.

Gazza

It just means that ten Hag isn't the first United manager who has taken over a hot mess and had to deal with it.
Each situation is different, though, even if broadly speaking United were "a mess". A mess can have varying degrees of hotness. If you are suggesting the club wasn't in complete shambles when Ten Hag took the job, then I'd have to disagree vehemently. If you're arguing that other managers also took over the club when it was at a low ebb, you've just stated the obvious that applies to every manager who takes over a club.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We overpaid on Antony because we went in late and dragged the deal out. Not on ETH.

If we'd have gone in earlier in the summer it would have been less.
We went in late precisely because of ETH. He spent the entire summer chasing a Barca midfielder who clearly didn't want to come.

Can't blame the club on this one even though some will do. The manager dictated the window this time. The Frenkie De Jong chase was embarrassing.

Berbaclass

We went in late precisely because of ETH. He spent the entire summer chasing a Barca midfielder who clearly didn't want to come.

Can't blame the club on this one even though some will do. The manager dictated the window this time. The Frenkie De Jong chase was embarrassing.
Yeah, it was the first time we fecked up with a deal because of incompetence, that definitely didn't happen before ETH arrived and it's all his fault.

It's the clubs fault that he had to rely on targets selected by him.

spiriticon

Each situation is different, though, even if broadly speaking United were "a mess". A mess can have varying degrees of hotness. If you are suggesting the club wasn't in complete shambles when Ten Hag took the job, then I'd have to disagree vehemently. If you're arguing that other managers also took over the club when it was at a low ebb, you've just stated the obvious that applies to every manager who takes over a club.
The club was a shambles when ten Hag took over. But so it was when every other United manager took ever. That's the point. I don't see anything special here. Is the football better than last year? Sure it is! But so it was for all the other managers too in their first year at the club.

It's not the improvement over last year that I doubt, it's the statements that claim he is doing an miracle job. A miracle would be to challenge for the league, but we are certainly not doing that. There are no miracles here, just a good job.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yeah, it was the first time we fecked up with a deal because of incompetence, that definitely didn't happen before ETH arrived and it's all his fault.

It's the clubs fault that he had to rely on targets selected by him.
Of course it did but I think this time it was on the manager. We wanted Frenkie and clearly couldn't afford both players.

Casemiro was 20-30m cheaper and probably allowed us to get it done and it cost us.

Antony hasn't even been good either. He's actually been largely poor.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think this season was half-decent but by no means good or great. We’’really showing a bit of cohesiveness and some proper patterns of play are starting to show but we’re being let down by a number of players who just aren’t good enough at this level.

Some of our early statement wins against City, Barcelona and the Carabao cup final might have overshadowed our persistent deficiencies in the basics like ball distribution and passing etc.

We are a work in progress and a few years away from a title challenge.

pascell

I think this season was half-decent but by no means good or great. We’’really showing a bit of cohesiveness and some proper patterns of play are starting to show but we’re being let down by a number of players who just aren’t good enough at this level.

Some of our early statement wins against City, Barcelona and the Carabao cup final might have overshadowed our persistent deficiencies in the basics like ball distribution and passing etc.

We are a work in progress and a few years away from a title challenge.
It's sad when you think how far we're off from challenging for the CL as well as the PL, we're a good 3-4 years off from that.

always_hoping

Not anything to be proud of. We are still a poor team, league table shows, all other metrics show City have scored a whooping 34 goals more than us, Arsenal have scored 30 more goals than us. Chelsea have leaked less goals than us. Who are in genuine crisis. We have leaked same goals as Liverpool. This is the poorest Liverpool team for sometime.

What we need as a fan base is to support Ten Hag when he sends away this Pseudo footballers, players who can't pass or control a football under pressure. We will never achieve a 90+ season playing 4231. It's impossible. No matter who you're. Even if we sign Osimhen and Kane, both of them, and everything remains the same we won't win the league. We will hit a brick wall with control of games.

Fans need to be alive to the fact, we are competing with Pep and City. A poor season for them is 86 points. Something we haven't achieved as a club in 10 years. So dilly-dally with these merchants of footballers in our team will harm us more than improve us. As Ralf said we need 10 players, 4 first team players already came, we are short of another 6. No sugarcoating.
I'd be more focused on United and on what progress has been made on last season which was 6th place finish in the league and knocked out of the two domestic cup competitions in the early rounds at home by West Ham and championship Middlesbrough (that is what was really a poor United team) A top four finish with a trophy won will be a good first season for Ten Hag who's had to deal with a lot of injuries, little strength in depth to cover such injuries and the circus that the man child Ronaldo caused. Erik after this season should have fair idea on which players he'll want to keep and offload