Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
We weren't even in the top 3 in the league for number of players lost to injury or total days missed due to injuries last season.

Tottenham arguably had worse injuries and finished noticeably above us with a manager in his first season who hadn't spent much, played attacking football and lost the best player in the clubs history.

Excuses, excuses. A good manager could get far more out of what our available squad was for most weeks of last season. Just as a small example the squad that got battered 3-0 by Newcastle at Old Trafford last season included

Onana
Dalot
Wan Bissaka
Maguire
Lindelof
Evans
Reguilon
Casemiro
Mount
Amrabat
McTominay
Eriksen
Bruno Fernandes
Hannibal
Antony
Garnacho
Martial
Hojlund

Give Eddie Howe that squad and I wonder what happens in that match. It's not the Harlem Globetrotters sure but it's an available squad that so many managers would do a lot with.

So many examples of this.
I think you under-rated how bad some of our players are, looking at that squad I'm shocked it was only by 3-0 they lost.

Maguire, Lindelof that alone is a defensive sabotage, McTominay, Amrabat are just shit and should be shamed for wearing our shirt, the less I talk of Antony the better, Martial made of glass, Casemiro was out of form or legs gone and Eriksen is the same.

You are now left with Bruno, Garnacho, Holland, Dalot, Onana that I consider up for it.

I think you under-rated how bad some of our players are, looking at that squad I'm shocked it was only by 3-0 they lost.

Maguire, Lindelof that alone is a defensive sabotage, McTominay, Amrabat are just shit and should be shamed for wearing our shirt, the less I talk of Antony the better, Martial made of glass, Casemiro was out of form or legs gone and Eriksen is the same.

You are now left with Bruno, Garnacho, Holland, Dalot, Onana that I consider up for it.

Crazy how Maguire and Lindelof managed to get second in the league and a European cup final under a "glorified PE teacher". Amazing that Casemiro just lost his legs instantly and that had nothing to do with suddenly being asked to play in a 1 man midfield in the Premier League with the defense a mile behind him.

All these things you say are so fun.

"Zirkzee couldn't score more than a handful of goals in a terrible Series A"

"Yoro is literally a child"

"Ugarte was rejected from PSG after 1 season"

"De Ligt was thrown away by Juve and Bayern"

Just setting you up for the excuses you can make for next season. Nothing is ever Ten Hag's fault. I know for a fact the next thing will be "Ashworth is overrated and his signings didn't suit Ten Hag" as the pivot from "Ten Hag didn't have an expert to make signings for him".

Seeing Antony still at club is just annoying, he is one of the biggest reasons we haven't signed another CB or DM. Erik should have pulled plug when they started asking for £80m

Seeing Antony still at club is just annoying, he is one of the biggest reasons we haven't signed another CB or DM. Erik should have pulled plug when they started asking for £80m

If only someone in our club had the chance to spend some time with him and use their football knowledge to assess whether he was good enough to make a difference at this level consistently.

Oh well, now the fact he is rubbish has actually become an excuse to let Ten Hag off the hook. So that's nice I suppose.

I really want to try and support him as we are stuck with him but the combination of ludicrous excuses, lowering of standards based on whatever he does and rewriting of history is tipping me over the edge.

The correct stance is that he had a good first season, spent a lot that was hit or miss, the actual performances on the pitch left a lot to be desired but he got us in a good position in the end of the season and won a league cup.

He had the worst league campaign in most of our lifetimes in his second season (to be sure this was more based on his tactical decisions than injuries) but clung on by the skin of his teeth in the FA Cup with some good moments and a flukey goal in the final and a terrible performance in the Semi Final.

He's under huge scrutiny going into the third season and needs drastic, drastic improvement (no excuses).

Crazy how Maguire and Lindelof managed to get second in the league and a European cup final under a "glorified PE teacher". Amazing that Casemiro just lost his legs instantly and that had nothing to do with suddenly being asked to play in a 1 man midfield in the Premier League with the defense a mile behind him.

All these things you say are so fun.

"Zirkzee couldn't score more than a handful of goals in a terrible Series A"

"Yoro is literally a child"

"Ugarte was rejected from PSG after 1 season"

"De Ligt was thrown away by Juve and Bayern"

Just setting you up for the excuses you can make for next season. Nothing is ever Ten Hag's fault. I know for a fact the next thing will be "Ashworth is overrated and his signings didn't suit Ten Hag" as the pivot from "Ten Hag didn't have an expert to make signings for him".

This isn't a Hag in or out debate, I was talking about players and based on evidence from last season.

When Ten Hag has 1 title challenge then we can compare him to Pep. In fact when he can get Utd consistently playing with any semblance of a team that could compete in the Premier League then maybe we can talk.
When Pep has a couple seasons at a smaller club instead of a shoe in each season (Barça Bayern Cheaty) then we can compare him to Ten Hag.

One thing a top manager does is extract the maximal performance level from players, even if they’re average or mediocre. I don’t think Ten Hag has been able to do that and suggesting he can only get good results with top-class players in every position is not particularly reassuring of his coaching capabilities.

Having injuries is bad, but it really does not excuse not being able to compete against Crystal Palace or Brentford. You’d think we were playing City every weekend the way the injury problems are laid out. Not to mention the lower half teams have poorer depth and also deal with injuries.

I really want to try and support him as we are stuck with him but the combination of ludicrous excuses, lowering of standards based on whatever he does and rewriting of history is tipping me over the edge.

The correct stance is that he had a good first season, spent a lot that was hit or miss, the actual performances on the pitch left a lot to be desired but he got us in a good position in the end of the season and won a league cup.

He had the worst league campaign in most of our lifetimes in his second season (to be sure this was more based on his tactical decisions than injuries) but clung on by the skin of his teeth in the FA Cup with some good moments and a flukey goal in the final and a terrible performance in the Semi Final.

He's under huge scrutiny going into the third season and needs drastic, drastic improvement (no excuses).
The way you write about the final game is inexcusable. We were the better team (again), the performance was amazing.

I can't believe excuses are being made already :lol:

Also, some are forgetting that the biggest excuse last year were the injuries, and I hardly see anyone saying now that if we stay injury free we should be good. Again the main argument is that we need full squad of his players = another 200-300 millions.

Also, some are forgetting that the biggest excuse last year were the injuries, and I hardly see anyone saying now that if we stay injury free we should be good. Again the main argument is that we need full squad of his players = another 200-300 millions.
It is only reasonable to manage expectations in line with the quality of our squad. At this point we have not improved our first team much this Summer, still have the same weaknesses that caused us to finish 8th last year. We need better squad to get better.

Football has different formations/tactics. As a coach/manager, you use the formation that suits the players you have and not the other way round. That’s the problem with Ten hag. He doesn’t have a plan B or even Plan C. He kept using the same formation even when it wasn’t working.

It's baffling:

Season 1 - Praised to the hilt for achieving 3rd after spending 200m. Not a bad season at all given everything.
Season 2 - Spent another 200m but finished 8th with a -ve GD. Football played was horrendous. Discounted due to injuries to Shaw and Martinez.
Season 3 - Already spent another ~90m.

By logic, if we have a season without too many injuries we should expect at the minimum 3rd because we have added almost 300m worth of talent more to the team that finished 3rd. We have lost some, sure, but mainly an injury prone Varane and a non-entity in Martial.

However, the expectation currently should be no more than 6th and "some good football" in a few games, which also is merely a bonus & can't be an expected.

They are higher than yours: you think we don’t have an incomplete squad.
Sure they are... I dont think our squad is as bad as some wants to make out, our biggest problem last year was tactics - we could have had an injury free squad but when we invite 20+ shots every game then we'll lose too many games.

It's baffling:

Season 1 - Praised to the hilt for achieving 3rd after spending 200m. Not a bad season at all given everything.
Season 2 - Spent another 200m but finished 8th with a -ve GD. Football played was horrendous. Discounted due to injuries to Shaw and Martinez.

By logic, if we have a season without too many injuries then we should expect at the minimum 3rd because we have added almost 300m worth of talent more to the team that finished 3rd. We have lost some, sure, but mainly an injury prone Varane and a non-entity in Martial.

However, the expectation currently should be no more than 6th and "some good football" in a few games, which also is merely hope and can't be an expectation.
There were plenty more injuries than just Shaw and Martinez. There were several games where we only had 1 fit CB for example. And Malacia the backup to Shaw hasn't played the entire season which meant we had no LB when Shaw was out. You mention the 300m spent but ultimately that's not on ETH. He wasn't the one that negotiated to blow almost 100m on Antony for example, though yes it's a player he liked and approved the signing of which in hindsight is questionable regardless of the price as he's been poor.

I really, really hope I'm wrong about Erik because I want to like him, but he comes across as completely delusional and I strongly suspect that he's learned very little from last year.

I fully expect that he'll be sacked once we're mathematically out of the top four race this season. I also expect Onana to be extremely busy.

On the positive side though, I really like the new signings and structure at the club, so I think that once this happens, we'll be able to see real improvement.

It's baffling:

By logic, if we have a season without too many injuries we should expect at the minimum 3rd because we have added almost 300m worth of talent more to the team that finished 3rd. We have lost some, sure, but mainly an injury prone Varane and a non-entity in Martial.

However, the expectation currently should be no more than 6th and "some good football" in a few games, which also is merely a bonus & can't be an expected.
The rest of PL has progressed faster than us though, meaning we have to compete with multiple teams who have got to our level and better. His first season, we didn’t really have Liverpool and Tottenham to compete with as they had very underwhelming season, and Villa only got Emery midway 22-23 while sitting in the bottom half of the table. All these 3 teams are now possibly better than us.

There were plenty more injuries than just Shaw and Martinez. There were several games where we only had 1 fit CB for example. And Malacia the backup to Shaw hasn't played the entire season which meant we had no LB when Shaw was out. You mention the 300m spent but ultimately that's not on ETH. He wasn't the one that negotiated to blow almost 100m on Antony for example, though yes it's a player he liked and approved the signing of which in hindsight is questionable regardless of the price as he's been poor.
Injuries are a part of the game and that's why we have a squad. The two major injuries were to Shaw and Martinez, rest were regular injuries. Also, we had Reguilon available as a LB for the first half of the season and Dalot available to play LB after AWB recovered.

Okay, I'll change it to "a lot of money has been spent since the first season.". Will it be alright then?

Last edited:
The rest of PL has progressed faster than us though, meaning we have to compete with multiple teams who have got to our level and better. His first season, we didn’t really have Liverpool and Tottenham to compete with as they had very underwhelming season, and Villa only got Emery midway 22-23 while sitting in the bottom half of the table. All these 3 teams are now possibly better than us.

I don't know how to respond to your posts, buddy.

Are you still in character or is it genuine? :lol:

Anyway, Liverpool have lost their iconic manager at the end the last season and have a new guy in-charge. Spurs have been a bit better but the 'Aggites don't miss an opportunity to go into the Ange thread and mock him even if they draw a game, so he must be shite. And there is always a different team pulling above their weight every season - Villa last season, Brighton the season before last, etc. etc.

I like that he has been open to / forced to renew and refresh his coaching staff. This could have a positive effect, imagine, we could even score from a corner someday!?

It is only reasonable to manage expectations in line with the quality of our squad. At this point we have not improved our first team much this Summer, still have the same weaknesses that caused us to finish 8th last year. We need better squad to get better.

It's hard to know when you are joking here, but I'll respond anyway.

Our squad was much better than 8th place last year, so that shouldn't be the argument for this season either, we are missing in some position but overall we have more than capable squad of reaching top4, especially if we sign one or two more players.

We have better squad than Liverpool, Villa, Newcastle at least, and they all have finished above us last year.

If he can't get us playing beautiful in season three then he has to go.

The squad is also very weak thanks to decisions of the manager in charge.

I like that he has been open to / forced to renew and refresh his coaching staff. This could have a positive effect, imagine, we could even score from a corner someday!?
Not impossible, given the rumours in Romerike’s Bald (Norwegian newspaper) yesterday: https://www.united.no/nyheter/united-i-samtaler-med-lillestrom-trener/1315586

Short paraphrase: United are supposedly details away from hiring Andreas Georgson, Swedish head coach at Lillestrøm, as their new set piece coach. He has formerly been set piece coach at Southampton (woth Wilcox there), Brentford (under Frank) and Arsenal (under Arteta).

Can’t see any excuses in this thread just people moaning about excuses. The season hasn’t even started and the naysayers won’t shut up. If and it’s a massive if, our current squad all stayed fully fit all season I’m pretty confident we would get top four. Especially the defence as that comprises some of our best players who were unavailable last season. However, if we don’t add at least another midfielder and fullback we will very likely be in the same situation again next season because we can’t rely on shaws fitness (arguably not Martinez’s either!) and Casa needs support in there. If those things don’t get addressed than there’s very little to be optimistic about outside of young players kicking on abit.

That isn’t lowering of standards, making excuses or whatever people want to say. That’s the bare faced reality of the situation. This squad is simply not good enough in its current state, and while you can expect a manager to navigate it better than last season, you can’t just ignore the context. The reason you aren’t seeing many people say we will have a good season if people stay fit is that nobody believes they will all stay fit. What some fail to realise is our squad is so paper thin right now that we just aren’t equipped to deal with those injuries in key positions.

If he can't get us playing beautiful in season three then he has to go.
Again completely ignores context. This post should be “if he can’t get us playing good football with his first team out, or with a suitably strong squad, then he should go”. Nobody here is Ten Hag above Man Utd, we all want the same things. Just some of us are able to critically analyse the situation of our squad and realise it’s very difficult (if not impossible) to play good football when we have to play dross players.

If we have to play McTominay regularly, we won’t play good football. If we have to play Evans and Lindelof and Wan Bissaka regularly, we won’t play good football. If we have to play Rashford out of form we won’t play good football. We’ve seen enough of these players under multiple managers and systems to know they aren’t capable of good football, just moments of quality. Until we have replaced them with better, more reliable players expectations should match that.

Again completely ignores context. This post should be “if he can’t get us playing good football with his first team out, or with a suitably strong squad, then he should go”. Nobody here is Ten Hag above Man Utd, we all want the same things. Just some of us are able to critically analyse the situation of our squad and realise it’s very difficult (if not impossible) to play good football when we have to play dross players.

If we have to play McTominay regularly, we won’t play good football. If we have to play Evans and Lindelof and Wan Bissaka regularly, we won’t play good football. If we have to play Rashford out of form we won’t play good football. We’ve seen enough of these players under multiple managers and systems to know they aren’t capable of good football, just moments of quality. Until we have replaced them with better, more reliable players expectations should match that.
We've seen Managers coach far worst players and have them play good football.

We've seen Managers coach far worst players and have them play good football.
I can honestly say I’ve never seen a manager coach such a Frankenstein squad to play good football. When our first team is out we generally perform very well and are capable of great highs. When we have to replace our best players with players either unsuited to the style of play, or downright poor players we fall apart. That isn’t a shock and it’s something that the other top teams in the league don’t face because they actually built strong squads all pulling in the same direction.

Opening this thread is like lifting the lid on a dumpster and seeing a bunch of rats fighting in the dark.

This myth that we always play incredible football when Martinez and Shaw are fit is amazing. Didn’t we lose 7-0 to Liverpool with both of them playing? We were also absolutely dreadful to Wolves at home with both of them playing in the first game of the season. So injuries or not, football has to get substantially better and we need to score way more goals.

This myth that we always play incredible football when Martinez and Shaw are fit is amazing. Didn’t we lose 7-0 to Liverpool with both of them playing? We were also absolutely dreadful to Wolves at home with both of them playing in the first game of the season. So injuries or not, football has to get substantially better and we need to score way more goals.
I don't think that's been said at all. We do play substantially better football when those players are available, but clearly, even when everyone is fit, we aren't at the level where we would be winning (or even competing) for titles, so inconsistency is expected. However our highs (Barcelona, City, Liverpool last season) have largely come when we have more of our best players available. If everyone is fit and we are still performing badly, then it's open season as far as I'm concerned, and the manager will rightly be under fire.

If we finished 6/7/8 in the league but won Europa and FA Cup - what would be the fan reaction?

If we finished 6/7/8 in the league but won Europa and FA Cup - what would be the fan reaction?
Depends how, if we are in the tight run for 4th all season and teams are like 1 point or GD apart and we play good football, scoring and actually dominating games. I think it's manageable - but if it's as this season was, I don't think we reach end of season without changes.

Depends how we went about it. If the football is still awful, it would feel a bit weird and conflicting. I want to win trophies, but I also want to enjoy what I'm watching every week.

He had a full season with Martial, everyone on here including me was screaming that we needed a backup option last summer. If I know more than a Man Utd manager that is an issue. Search the Choupo Moting thread on here.

Did you think he would have been a good signing?

There's too many variables to accurately say to be honest. What I will say if that you still wouldn't sack a manager who would then have won four trophies in three seasons.

No hiding behind domestic cup wins this season, he'll have to improve our league position drastically. Also try to win Europa League, another trophy that would guarantee CL football (that's still the rule, right?).

Status
Not open for further replies.