Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he criticizing the old regime or Am I hallucinating ?

I wonder what Carrington looks like right now? and what changed since he was there ?

I'm pretty sure what he means is because of the rebuilding it was a chaos. It's probably not criticizing anyone.

I have my opinion on him from the past 2 seasons. The only way is up, so lets see. I hope we manage to have a good transfer window and keep the players fit for the most part

I'm pretty sure what he means is because of the rebuilding it was a chaos. It's probably not criticizing anyone.

This, he's talking about the practical side of it. Probably tools and whatnot flying around :p

It's only pre season so whatever, going to try not to read into it happening today. But as a precursor I guess, I don't think I'll have more patience than just the first month of the season for him to prove that last season's 20 shots conceded a game thing is a thing of the past. It's going to be seriously high pressure on him and if we don't look like a competent and balanced team from day 1, then loads of fans will be counting down the days til his sacking.

Not asking to be a top team instantly. But we need to look balanced and "normal" for a modern day football club.

It's only pre season so whatever, going to try not to read into it happening today. But as a precursor I guess, I don't think I'll have more patience than just the first month of the season for him to prove that last season's 20 shots conceded a game thing is a thing of the past. It's going to be seriously high pressure on him and if we don't look like a competent and balanced team from day 1, then loads of fans will be counting down the days til his sacking.

Not asking to be a top team instantly. But we need to look balanced and "normal" for a modern day football club.
My expectations haven’t really changed. Top 4 and long cup runs. Obviously, with SAF, we expected to win the league every year. But things have changed, both internally and externally. The size of this club, we should be in the CL every year.

Let’s hope the transfers work out, we get some injured players back (Shaw, Mount) and we can improve.

i didn't see the match today but if we honestly gave up 21 shots to Rosenborg, clearly EtH hasn't still gotten a defensive shape set up corrected

He’s not going to have much time or patience this year. So whatever he needs to change he best change it quickly.

He might want to start with playing midfielders who can defend.

Unfortunately I think we're stuck with him for the year after all that drama over the new manager search. Even if he gets sacked, I presume Ruud or Hake will be the interim and don't really expect much to change with that.

So yeah, really hope we start firing on all cylinders and players remain fit.

He’s not going to have much time or patience this year. So whatever he needs to change he best change it quickly.

Really hope he doesn't walk away from us :( ineos better get him some big signings quick

Another test for INEOS .
Obviously manager was at fault partially that we faced 20 shots+ every game last season but none of higher up football people did something to fix it.

Its only pre season but the pattern is the same. We gathered "best in class" people here, lets see if they can find a solution.

If we continue to suck, let's see if Ineos wants to stick to him after this season. I don't think he deserves a contract extension. I find ETH as someone who speaks the truth about the squad but yet again and again, he fails to deliver performance needed. We beat City to win the FA cup but yet we can't maintain any consistency to play well. Honestly, I expect some bad loses and performance this season. He has been here since Apr 2022 but the style of play has not improved.

i didn't see the match today but if we honestly gave up 21 shots to Rosenborg, clearly EtH hasn't still gotten a defensive shape set up corrected

I watched the game.

Utd played like a team that haven't played together before and are playing their first game of the season. Rosenborg played like a team who are at close to peak fitness and wanted to make a good showing against a big name team. They were quicker to every ball, were more aggressive and had better shape and movement. It's to be expected from a pre season friendly, the reason you go and play these teams who are mid season is for the challenge of playing against players who are already up to speed, rather than playing another team who are going to be going through the motions of pre season. It gives players and coaches a good idea of where they need to be at over the coming weeks for the more challenging pre season games.

To be honest, Utd were poor, very sloppy and maybe could have done better with one or two chances. Vitek made some really good saves and stopped it from being what could have been a fairly embarrassing result. But, they should really have been reduced to 10 men after about 20 mins, horrible tackle on Casemiro.

But overall, there's been a huge over reaction to the result on here, it's a pre season game where about 5 first team squad players actually played, the rest were just kids getting a taste of the action to see if they have what it takes to be involved in the upcoming games in America.

Another test for INEOS .
Obviously manager was at fault partially that we faced 20 shots+ every game last season but none of higher up football people did something to fix it.

Its only pre season but the pattern is the same. We gathered "best in class" people here, lets see if they can find a solution.
One solution is buying better defenders who can push higher up and help the midfield out which to be fair I think we're trying to do. What can't be fixed I fear is ETH's inability to coach attacking patterns of play.

Regardless of that start to pre-season, which was beyond woeful, think we've made a grave mistake keeping him on and it'll become evident not long into the season. The urgency and transition play we seen vs City in the final was simply an anomaly.

I will only give him a chance til the international break in September to see a clear improvement in our style/plan.

We could already see in the last pre-season that we have major problems and many thought "Oh only pre-season....who cares".

OK, I'm tired of hearing Erik talk about standards and "we're Man United we have to win every game". He needs to reign it in a bit. But it seems people are waiting for him to fail on here. It was a fecking pre-season match with half a first team available after a week in training. Come on.

OK, I'm tired of hearing Erik talk about standards and "we're Man United we have to win every game". He needs to reign it in a bit. But it seems people are waiting for him to fail on here. It was a fecking pre-season match with half a first team available after a week in training. Come on.

He already failed last season after overseeing that league and CL campaign, so it's not like anyone is waiting, it's more expectation.

I didn't expect us to look great, but man, we did have AWB, Evans, Casemiro, Mount and Rashford playing. That's at least five first team squad members. I ain't saying we should've looked dynamite, I just think we ought to have made more than five shots all game.

It seems pretty daft for your first game to go up against a team in peak form.
actually i disagree...i think it's a brilliant idea to go against a team that is close to peak fitness and form. You have to challenge the players and it's a great way to work on your tactical shape knowing they will be a bit more fit and energetic. Clearly struggled with it by giving up 22 shots.

Result didn't bother me, expected due to where we are and where they are in terms of fitness. In the next few we weeks we just have to be seeing something tactically more impressive and further away from what we saw last season though.

Erik's style of play is what it is. People are deluding themselves if they think we are suddenly going to play champagne football just because we'll have a fitter eleven or get better players in the window. The results definitely will get better but the football will remain similar. Two seasons is enough evidence to judge the type of football a manager is capable of playing. It doesn't take that long or a billions dollars to stamp one's authority regarding the style of football. Lesser managers with lesser resources are able to mold their teams in their style pretty quick. This is ETH's style.

After the long break, people are really hungry for moaning about EtH. They really have to use the first preseason game with a couple of pros against a team in midseason as stick to beat him with :lol:

Pre-season, I know, but I think we need to be going into the season with some good wins and performances in pre-season. Id rather we have played a pub team yesterday and banged a few goals in, but hopefully playing Rosenberg will help with fitness.

Main thing I’m looking for this pre-season is structure in the midfield. There was none of that last summer, and in the Wolves game we saw that was intentional from ETH. If he has the same idea this year, then he will be getting himself in trouble.

I still cant see how Mount will ever fit in a side with Bruno, especially if Rashford is playing.

Dont really care about a youth friendly. But he needs to change formation imo, 4-3-3 is the way forward. We need control in midfield

After the long break, people are really hungry for moaning about EtH. They really have to use the first preseason game with a couple of pros against a team in midseason as stick to beat him with :lol:
He's been giving a second chance by many fans and the club so they expect something different. While the first pre-season game isn't something to get critical of, can't blame the fans for vexing that the shape of the team is the same, similar short comings and similar patterns to last season are showing. The PTSD of having 20 shots at our goal won't go away easily. Surely over the course of the pre-season he has to show he's changing things and adapting new ideas otherwise it will be more of the same. It will just be a case of new players playing in the same old mess.

Erik's style of play is what it is. People are deluding themselves if they think we are suddenly going to play champagne football just because we'll have a fitter eleven or get better players in the window. The results definitely will get better but the football will remain similar. Two seasons is enough evidence to judge the type of football a manager is capable of playing. It doesn't take that long or a billions dollars to stamp one's authority regarding the style of football. Lesser managers with lesser resources are able to mold their teams in their style pretty quick. This is ETH's style.
That sounds reasonable expectations for next season. People don't "expect" improvements to style of football, they just "hope" this will happen but there are no actual arguments for it.

He's been giving a second chance by many fans and the club so they expect something different. While the first pre-season game isn't something to get critical of, can't blame the fans for vexing that the shape of the team is the same, similar short comings and similar patterns to last season are showing. The PTSD of having 20 shots at our goal won't go away easily. Surely over the course of the pre-season he has to show he's changing things and adapting new ideas otherwise it will be more of the same. It will just be a case of new players playing in the same old mess.
Why does he need to change things? He won a trophy, got a contract extension.

Our best chance this year is we actually get in some good players, I don't expect manager to make too many changes to the way we play football.

That sounds reasonable expectations for next season. People don't "expect" improvements to style of football, they just "hope" this will happen but there are no actual arguments for it.

Why does he need to change things? He won a trophy, got a contract extension.

Our best chance this year is we actually get in some good players, I don't expect manager to make too many changes to the way we play football.
Why does he need to change things? He won a trophy playing a style that can't sustain a full season. He can't play Bruno as a false 9 and pick the midfield against Bournemouth and play on the counter all year long. He actually does need to change and create a system that doesn't allow 20 shots on goal against us. How you can say he doesn't need to change is wild. He absolutely does need to, that FA cup win great as it was, was an outlier in a terrible season. He needs to even be more adaptable this year especially with rotations as we have the Europa to deal with. He can't keep playing his strongest 11 every game including cups and midweek and not expect injuries. Watch him play Onana in every Europa, League cup and FA cup game too. He needs to change. The club have backed him and he needs to do better, a repeat of last season and what's been the point of backing him? I hope he does do well and we have a better season but 20 shots at our goal each game and drab football won't cut it again.

Dont really care about a youth friendly. But he needs to change formation imo, 4-3-3 is the way forward. We need control in midfield

I don't think Erik has a clue what do to in midfield hence our default mode is to bypass it altogether and hoof the ball up to a young striker who can't keep hold of it.

Reckon I can count on 1 hand the number of times we've genuinely bossed midfield in the last 15 months.

Really hope we see an improvement on this in Aug-Oct, but I'm expecting to see the same old shit with him talking about the need for patience while we transition in the new ownership model, get players back in the groove after the Euros and Copa etc.

He needs to get a grip of this team, at least until Southgate has a job somewhere else.

I watched the game.

Utd played like a team that haven't played together before and are playing their first game of the season. Rosenborg played like a team who are at close to peak fitness and wanted to make a good showing against a big name team. They were quicker to every ball, were more aggressive and had better shape and movement. It's to be expected from a pre season friendly, the reason you go and play these teams who are mid season is for the challenge of playing against players who are already up to speed, rather than playing another team who are going to be going through the motions of pre season. It gives players and coaches a good idea of where they need to be at over the coming weeks for the more challenging pre season games.

To be honest, Utd were poor, very sloppy and maybe could have done better with one or two chances. Vitek made some really good saves and stopped it from being what could have been a fairly embarrassing result. But, they should really have been reduced to 10 men after about 20 mins, horrible tackle on Casemiro.

But overall, there's been a huge over reaction to the result on here, it's a pre season game where about 5 first team squad players actually played, the rest were just kids getting a taste of the action to see if they have what it takes to be involved in the upcoming games in America.
I don't think anyone has actually mentioned the result here? The worrying thing is the performance as it is very reminiscent of EtH's football last season.

Before now (and feel free to include Moyes, LVG, Jose, Ole) have you ever seen us concede 22 shots on our goal in the first game of pre-season? Even at our lowest points?
These weren't speculative hopeful shots mind, they easily sliced through the massive gap we saw last season.

Please get it together EtH as Gareth is on the prowl and we don't need none of that!

In terms of his tactics, I'd say the significant thing that came out of the match is that we played 4231 instead of the 4141 that we used last season. Mount was playing deeper next to Casemiro instead of pushed up next to Hannibal. Will be interesting to see if that continues or if we go back to the extremely open one man midfield (or something else again).

We still didn't play well and were lucky not to concede until the last few seconds, but I can hope that most of those issues came from it being our first preseason game and how many kids were playing. It's the formation and tactics that I'm more interested in in the short-term.

He needs to get a grip of this team, at least until Southgate has a job somewhere else.
I’m dreading us starting poorly in the league… then all the rumours will start coming out about Southgate.

Its not just that; we need a back four that is pressing high up the pitch so our defensive actions take place there, not at the cut back from the byline. The problem ETH has had is that we have a big gap between midfield and defence, not because our midfield can't defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.