Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This is the comparison in just league games. Pretty close between the first three (ETH = Klopp had he won 3 more games which we threw away) & fair to say, ETH has done much better than Arteta and Klopp in cups during his first two seasons.

ETH​
Arteta​
Klopp​
Guardiola​
League Games​
76​
100​
100​
100​
Wins​
41​
63​
54​
73​
Draws​
12​
16​
28​
15​
Losses​
23​
31​
18​
12​
PPG​
1.78​
1.86​
1.90​
2.34​
Has he really done so much better than them in the cups? Arteta also won FA Cup and took them to an EL final while Klopp got to two European finals including one CL final. You need to include European performance if you are going to assess performance outside of league.

romufc

doubleohseven

Southgate incoming to make us Brexit FC?

Hope to feck ten Hag resists the campaign to remove him, and this dangerous, ideological appointment is avoided at all costs.

Rista

Yes, thats what I mean they want Ten Hag out knowing there is a good possibility Southgate will be 1st choice.

These rumours have been going around since INEOS took over.

The reason I dont want him sacked is I dont really rate Southgate.
If there's a good possibility Southgate is the number 1 choice then it's really irrelevant if they keep Ten Hag or not. We're screwed anyway under the new regime then if that's the best they can come up with.

Chairman Steve

I refuse to believe that the people who have headhunted the likes of Berrada, Wilcox, Ashworth etc will turn around and appoint fecking Gareth Southgate as the new manager… someone who all Premier League teams (apart from maybe the relegated teams), wouldn’t hire.

If Palace can entice someone like Glasner and West Ham with Lopetegui, there’s no chance United would entertain Southgate.

Southgate’s agent has done a brilliant job of putting his name with us in the year Southgate’s contract with England is up, to put pressure on England to extend him.

Infra-red

If there's a good possibility Southgate is the number 1 choice then it's really irrelevant if they keep Ten Hag or not. We're screwed anyway under the new regime then if that's the best they can come up with.
If they really are obsessed with giving Southgate the job, maybe it's better to just get it out the way. He won't last the season and there will hopefully still be some decent replacements knocking around that can come in mid-season to rescue us from the abyss.

romufc

If we sack Ten Hag for Southgate, we definitely are in big big trouble.

For anyone who thinks this regime is here to win things, it is a clear indication its not.

romufc

Where has all this Southgate bollox originated from? It's honestly like one big massive wum.
ITs been around since INEOS took over, which is why I actually do think they want Southgate.

It all makes sense. Ashworth worked with him at England.

We have heard rumours about Southgate more than any other manager since they took over.

They taking time sacking Ten Hag which means they know they can wait till End of July to get him

IRN-BRUno

Southgate keeps getting mentioned but he's still 11/1 to be the next manager.

It just seems to be an easy link to make and journalists know it'll get more attention. It doesn't seem workable this summer even if they wanted to make that move.

Rista

If we sack Ten Hag for Southgate, we definitely are in big big trouble.
Yeah but if we keep Ten Hag under the same regime that thought Southgate was the man to take us forward, then we have no hope anyway.

I don't believe for one second a group of professionals, supposedly highly rated at what they do would come on here and choose Southgate. I'd bet it's complete bollocks and it's a matter of either keeping Ten Hag or picking a suitable candidate like Tuchel or Poch.

croadyman

Berrada is only starting in mid-July and we're obviously not going to be replacing the manager so late.

So why aren't we briefing the media that ETH is staying?
Because maybe they aren't keeping him but will remain radio silence until replacement is secured

NK86

Yes, thats what I mean they want Ten Hag out knowing there is a good possibility Southgate will be 1st choice.

I might fall off the edge once I go far enough, based on flat earthers logic. That doesn’t stop me from travelling.

Worrying about Southgate and thus not wanting Eth gone is the silliest notion out there. If we are that worried that Ineos will act like this, then might as well get Southgate in, so that we can get the club to close up now itself.

Infra-red

Where has all this Southgate bollox originated from? It's honestly like one big massive wum.
Brailsford and Ashworth have worked with him in the past and reportedly rate him highly. They must not have been paying much attention to England in the past few years, though - Southgate is the biggest weakness in an otherwise highly talented group - England's relative success in recent years has been in spite of Southgate and our failures, largely due to his conservative approach and reticence to make bold decisions. The dull football hasn't helped his cause to be seriously considered for coaching jobs at big clubs, either - if United appoint him, opposition fans will rejoice while the media will label us a laughing stock.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

I don't want Southgate, but that is because I really hate his football philosophy. It's zero risk or freedom football. If you're having a good day and want to bring yourself down, take a look at the England lineup for the EUROs final and rewatch that game. That should make anyone bald and miserable.

With ETH. He's just not the man and if we continue the regression we had this season, we'll end up bottom half of the table with relegation zone in play. There's nothing indicating he'll turn this around. He just hasn't got the tools or skills to manage a club like ours. It's too big and it's too much pressure.

Rockets Redglare

ITs been around since INEOS took over, which is why I actually do think they want Southgate.

It all makes sense. Ashworth worked with him at England.

We have heard rumours about Southgate more than any other manager since they took over.

They taking time sacking Ten Hag which means they know they can wait till End of July to get him
But Ashworth isn’t even employed by the club yet. It’s pure speculation based on those two working together previously.

sugar_kane

If it was just Ashworth & Ratcliffe making the call I'd be worried that Southgate might actually happen but Berrada and Wilcox hopefully have a lot more sense. Not a chance he'd get hired for City.

Unless they're secretly still on the City payroll and have been sent here to destroy us :confused:

Xaviboy

No way its Southgate. Why interview others if he is the priority.

I'm gona go with a guess and say Poch be new manager and be announced after soccer aid this weekend as he is in charge as manager for one of the teams involved.

Judas

Open to offers
No way its Southgate. Why interview others if he is the priority.

I'm gona go with a guess and say Poch be new manager and be announced after soccer aid this weekend as he is in charge as manager for one of the teams involved.
Yep we wouldn't want to ruin his preparation for that, a proper big test for him.

Soccer Aid is his level.

acid_fuji

. Even Ferguson wouldn't get to be Ferguson

Times have changed , and he wouldn't get enough of it .
That’s not true. I reckon he’d have similar type of success nowadays. During the bad spell the United board said they saw how much work is done is by him behind the scenes and how hard he’s working and they decide that this will eventually pay off. We fans don’t see the full picture unfortunately. Not to mention that what he did with previous club to break the Celtic and Rangers domination is impressive. If you do this you have some credit in the bank as well.

Amarsdd

I might fall off the edge once I go far enough, based on flat earthers logic. That doesn’t stop me from travelling.

Worrying about Southgate and thus not wanting Eth gone is the silliest notion out there. If we are that worried that Ineos will act like this, then might as well get Southgate in, so that we can get the club to close up now itself.
This.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Southgate wasn't mentioned by Matt Lawton and Charlotte Duncker in the Times who had the original story about us reaching out to potential replacements. They reported that the shortlist is Tuchel, Poch, McKenna and Frank. Of course McKenna is now off the table.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Has he really done so much better than them in the cups? Arteta also won FA Cup and took them to an EL final while Klopp got to two European finals including one CL final. You need to include European performance if you are going to assess performance outside of league.
United had a better ppg under Ten Hag in the EL in 22/23 (2.16) than Klopp had with Liverpool in 15/16 (1.77). This despite United only making it to QFs and Liverpool reaching the final. It's why ppg is not the most useful metric to evaluate cup runs.