Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Good post Bastian.

I completely agree and for me ten Hag has absolutely got to play his default strategy which is to dominate all phases of play. He's said several times about wanting to play out from the back and dominate the game. And contrary to what is being said on here, his tactical ideas will work with the correct profile of players imo. So it's imperative those players are brought to the club and it's in positions in deeper midfield and at CB that will potentially have a huge impact on creating the conditions for the type of football he wants to play.

The target next season will have to be to finish in the top 4 and take further steps towards playing a proactive brand of football where building play from the back through the thirds, and pressing high as a collective unit, whilst having a strong rest defense to thwart opposition transitions is an absolute requirement. And the positions which will have the biggest impact on creating the aforementioned dynamic are the CBs and deeper midfielders, because those positions are absolutely crucial in controlling the game in possession and also out of possession. Those positions are absolutely open for ten Hag to upgrade and we of course will expect ten Hag to deliver along with the club to deliver in bringing the 3 or 4 players which are required at CB and in midfield.

If ten Hag fails or the club fails to get him the right players, then ten Hag will be gone regardless because INEOS aren't going to sack themselves.
Yeah, sums up my stance too. Like I said elsewhere, I hope the first acquisition this summer is RCB for the first XI. And then an aggressive process in clearing the squad. I'm doubtful as to how well that will work, with Eriksen, Maguire, Lindelof, AWB and Donny all in the last year of contract. But I'd like to see it happen. We need at least 4-5 players and wide forwards or 100m players are not really realistic at the moment, depending of course if we do make a big decision on someone like Rashford.

vivaronaldo

The fact he beat Liverpool (who had assumed they were dead certs to go through) and then City in the final (who had assumed they were guaranteed to win) sealed the deal for me. Very rare to beat both of them in one cup run nowadays.
yeah lets disregards the disaster of a season as a whole based on a couple of games - you sound like an lfc fan in the late 90's where a win over us warranted trophy parades for them

what a mindset we now accept as normal

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Bayern just signed another cb, de ligt might be the cb ten hag wants.
If the new leadership team let him continue to dictate transfers, we're in for a world of pain.

At this point I'm so triggered by our transfer strategy that I hope we refuse to sign any player who's ever set foot in a Dutch-speaking country or territory.

stevoc

Still deserves the backing though after delivering an FA cup. People are thinking that trophy isn’t big in England or something. Fergie went through the same sort of season, won the FA cup got the faith and backing from the owners and went on to become successful. History will repeat itself… impatient fans are the worse.
That's a bold claim.

Let's hope you are correct.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
This thread is like Dante’s Inferno, just keeps on giving :lol:

> Frenkie dJ thread

Can’t wait for it to light up if we ‘lose’ on Xg first game

Stadjer

Bayern just signed another cb, de ligt might be the cb ten hag wants.
I think de Ligt is an upgraded version of Maguire and would become a starter next to Martinez. De Ligt is also a leader which is good.

However he is on huge wages, will cost a big fee and has had issues with injuries. I dont think he is worth it. Not even sure if he wanted to join Manchestrr United right now either...

dinostar77

People forget fergie first five years at Utd.

Finished:

11th
2nd
12th
13th
6th

In year 7 we won the league and rest is history. Maybe we should give ETH more time....

fallengt

That 4-0 lost against Palace would get any manager sacked. First 5 matches next season will be brutal.

But fair play by INEOS they actually took time to review season. Ed fecking Woodward gave Ole the job on a whim because Rio told him to

Big Ben Foster

Supports

Finished:

11th
2nd
12th
13th
6th

In year 7 we won the league and rest is history. Maybe we should give ETH more time....
No, nobody's forgotten because this comparison gets brought up every fecking day in this thread

AfonsoAlves

That 4-0 lost against Palace would get any manager sacked. First 5 matches next season will be brutal.

But fair play by INEOS they actually took time to review season. Ed fecking Woodward gave Ole the job on a whim because Rio told him to
Ole got the job because he had an outrageous run of results which cumulated in having the best start to a PL career by any manager ever.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Finished:

11th
2nd
12th
13th
6th

Yes we've heard anyone can turn into SAF just by being given time.

TsuWave

Finished:

11th
2nd
12th
13th
6th

so every manager turns into Fergie mk.II after 5 years? Ferguson must have been quite ordinary then

alexthelion

Yeah, I'd have sacked him mainly on the basis that the performances suggest that a significant number of the players aren't committed to his methods (or haven't got a contract renewal coming up I suppose). I wasn't convinced there was a standout candidate to take over though, or that they'd have much better success with the same players.

It'll certainly be interesting to see whether this goes full disaster with players totally giving up until he's gone, or if an injection of new players will head off the power of a revolt. I think the former is most likely, as it typically is following a vote of confidence in the manager by the board.
Did I imagine the FA Cup final where all the players seemed to be fully committed?

stevoc

Finished:

11th
2nd
12th
13th
6th

I think everyone in here whether they wanted Ten Hag to stay or go. Would agree that if he finishes 12th next season, he won't get the chance to finish 13th the season after.

Bright_Eyes

Finished:

11th
2nd
12th
13th
6th

People forget Ron Atkinson's first five years at United.

Finished:
3rd
3rd
4th
4th
4th

In year 6 we sacked him and the next manager won 38 trophies, including 13 Premier League titles, five FA Cups, and two UEFA Champions League titles and the rest is history. Maybe we should have given Ron Atkinson more time... wait

It's daft to say we should give ETH more time because of what happened with Fergie, when the same logic would mean we would have kept Ron Atkinson and not even hired Fergie when we did.

Last edited:

stevoc

Finished:
3rd
3rd
4th
4th
4th

In year 6 we sacked him and the next manager won 38 trophies, including 13 Premier League titles, five FA Cups, and two UEFA Champions League titles.
Poor Ron, if he'd just managed to get that 6th year he have won those 38 trophies.

As 6 is the magic number when any manager turns into the GOAT apparently.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I think everyone in here whether they wanted Ten Hag to stay or go. Would agree that if he finishes 12th next season, he won't get the chance to finish 13th the season after.
At this point I'm not so sure

Dominos

But you understand that having him start the season with one year left on his contract doesn't work, right? It would be like INEOS saying "we're sticking with you but we're not convinced". ETH would be working under almost impossible circumstances. He loses a couple of games and the knives will be out. This contract gives him and the club security.
I don't think that's true. If we extend his contract and we have a bad start to the season then it's the exact same narrative that we made the wrong decision in keeping him, and even more criticism that we rewarded him with a new contract. Clubs have to sack managers who have more than 1 year left on their contract all the time. I'm almost certain Ole and Mourinho got a contract months before they were sacked. Increasing the amount we have to pay him off if/when we sack him doesn't give the club "security" at all.

The actual legit argument I've heard to extend his contract would be, that it motivates the manager to make medium-long term decisions instead of short term decisions. If the manager thinks he could be gone at the end of the season, he's motivated to chase short term results. If he thinks he's got time to build the team to how he wants over multiple years, he will take a longer term approach to his decision making.

Having said that, contracts are an illusion anyway as a manager can be sacked at any moment. If results are bad enough you're getting binned off either way, whether you've received a contract extension or not.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Fair enough there isn't an obvious manager to replace him with after Tuchel backed out and I understand wanting to give him a chance after the cup win, what I don't understand is INEOS negotiating a contract extension. Surely after last season they would want to see if he can turn it around before committing to him further.

I was hoping the new owners would make better footballing decisions but this doesn't give me much faith.

Grande

Finished:
3rd
3rd
4th
4th
4th

In year 6 we sacked him and the next manager won 38 trophies, including 13 Premier League titles, five FA Cups, and two UEFA Champions League titles.

(My point isn't that we should sack or keep ETH, it's that it's daft to say we should give ETH more time because of what happened with Fergie, when the same logic would mean we wouldn't have hired Fergie when we did.)
I think Atkinson was sacked after two 4th places, not three.

I don’t think many operate on the logic that we should give any manager at least six years, regardless of results. Pointing to Ferguson’s five first season should’nt be seen as some kind of blueprint.

I think what they show is rather that, behind mediocre results and abysmal performances on the pitch, there might happen a lot of stuff that we can’t see or analyze just watching the games and reading the interview and press speculation. We may not see it, so we’re
in a bad position to judge. Those who saw what changes Ferguson brought about regarding training culture, off the pitch culture, getting rid of players with the wrong mentality, overcoming injury issues and reshapimg the use of the academy system for first team purposes, they put that above lost points and placid performances, not for one season, or two seasons, but for five seasons. And they were proven right, we, the fans, wrong.

Atkinson not only had better results and more trophies, but the football was also a lot more entertaining than in Fergie’s first five years. I understand us for wanting him sacked. But it’s easy to see why we were wrong and the board etc were right. They weren’t masterminds, nor idiots, but they saw all the stuff we disn’t see, and made the unpopular decision but the decision they thought were right, looking at all the evidence.

Now I don’t trust the Glazer more than I’d trust a three year old with a marshmallow, but I trust the people getting hired these days at Utd to be able to make a good enough decision (better than mine) because they know infinitely more.

That said, if they fire Ten Hag in january to hire Gareth Southgate, all bets are off.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The actual legit argument I've heard to extend his contract would be, that it motivates the manager to make medium-long term decisions instead of short term decisions. If the manager thinks he could be gone at the end of the season, he's motivated to chase short term results. If he thinks he's got time to build the team to how he wants over multiple years, he will take a longer term approach to his decision making.
He's got plenty of motivation - turn it around or lose your job. The extension does the opposite and puts him in a more comfortable position.

Grande

I don't think that's true. If we extend his contract and we have a bad start to the season then it's the exact same narrative that we made the wrong decision in keeping him, and even more criticism that we rewarded him with a new contract. Clubs have to sack managers who have more than 1 year left on their contract all the time. I'm almost certain Ole and Mourinho got a contract months before they were sacked. Increasing the amount we have to pay him off if/when we sack him doesn't give the club "security" at all.

Having said that, contracts are an illusion anyway as a manager can be sacked at any moment. If results are bad enough you're getting binned off either way, whether you've received a contract extension or not.
It’s true, a prolonged manager contract is no more binding than an exporing one in reality. And we should probably hope the new leadership is less concerned with narratives than with looking at and analyzing the concretes on the ground (not just talking about the rock hard cones at Carrington injuring all the players).

Yakuza_devils

Now that the management opted for him to stay, hope he will be our Arteta. Something suddenly clicked and we play brilliant attacking football next season. More importantly be our SAF 2.0. One can hope.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think de Ligt is an upgraded version of Maguire and would become a starter next to Martinez. De Ligt is also a leader which is good.

However he is on huge wages, will cost a big fee and has had issues with injuries. I dont think he is worth it. Not even sure if he wanted to join Manchestrr United right now either...
He is also not the fastest or most physical, which might cause troubles considering that Martinez is also quite slow and not that physical.

Revan

Assumptionman
Only a new contract with a hugely performance incentivized pay would make sense.

He loses 20% of his salary for every position he finishes below 3rd. Gains 20% for every position above. Option to sack if he's ever more than 5 points away from top 4 with no payout.

Those would be the sort of terms I'd be looking to get him into.
But don’t forget, we are Man United. The terms of the contract are gonna be: an increase in salary, no sacking clause, and the option to build him a statue if he gets us in top 6. We do things in the right way.

alexthelion

We're Manchester United, not Brentford. We're being held back through incompetent ownership and management as opposed to lack of funds and prestige. It's natural for some of us to expect more and want the club to do better.
I really do wish people would stop this "We're Manchester United" nonsense.

Apart from two great managers in recent times we're just a cup winning team.

Pscholes18

The King is dead, love live the King.

Ineos so far have made Ed Woodward and the other Glazer clowns look competent in comparison.
We are certainly in better hands than Eddie and the Chuckle Brothers, however, they waited until after the FA Cup and spoke to all the managers barring McKenna that none of us wanted. Why weren't they talking to Nagalsmann/Inzaghi/Motta/Ammor, even Alonso two or three months ago?