Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I really do wish people would stop this "We're Manchester United" nonsense.

Apart from two great managers in recent times we're just a cup winning team.
Downplaying the size and stature of the club just to defend an underperforming manager. Unbelievable.

Blood Mage

Downplaying the size and stature of the club just to defend an underperforming manager. Unbelievable.
I've been ridiculed for saying it but I'll say it again, some of our fans are getting comfortable with us being a mid-table team. Maybe they felt insecure about their support of the club back when we were successful because everyone called us glory hunters.

Blood Mage

Still deserves the backing though after delivering an FA cup. People are thinking that trophy isn’t big in England or something. Fergie went through the same sort of season, won the FA cup got the faith and backing from the owners and went on to become successful. History will repeat itself… impatient fans are the worse.
This is romantic nonsense. And it's fecking insulting to compare ETH to Fergie.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I've been ridiculed for saying it but I'll say it again, some of our fans are getting comfortable with us being a mid-table team. Maybe they felt insecure about their support of the club back when we were successful because everyone called us glory hunters.
From some of the posts on here you'd think we were plucky little Le Havre or Frozone and that we should consider ourselves lucky to just be in the same league as some of the big boys

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Nothing I said there is wrong.

Not downplaying the club at all, it's the truth. If you don't like it, so be it.
It's not though. We have a massive global fanbase, an enormous pull, and resources most other clubs can only dream of. There's no excuse for having squandered what should be a huge competitive advantage.

Blood Mage

Nothing I said there is wrong.

Not downplaying the club at all, it's the truth. If you don't like it, so be it.
Maybe we should stop spending 200m every summer and give Ten Hag a contract for life then since we're just a mid-table cup team now.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
The new contract should mention a minimum of one mile of restraining order with the clubs recruitment team. Gag order of any transfer news, signings and if he plays FM, his DoF should have all say in transfers as well.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think it will be clear in the pre season. Our pre season last summer was an absolute shambles and it was clear the way we were playing it was going to be a struggle. If we see good football in our pre season then maybe he can turn it around, i'm not talking about results, but the actual football we play. We aren't going to get anywhere playing the same shite brand of football as we have been playing so something needs to change. Fingers crossed he manages to get it all working because honestly, I have zero faith he can turn it around. But hopefully he proves me wrong. I'm not sure I can cope watching us play another 12 months of horrendous football.
With international tournaments for many players, I don't know how much of an indication preseason football will give us

Waynne

If it's a contract that takes away any recruitment power he had then I'm calm about it.
No I agree with you there and I think that will be the case with the new backroom staff.

I definitely will if there aren't conditions about hitting certain targets and conceding some transfer control
That's true. But I also have more confidence in the club finding a suitable replacement if he fails to meet certain targets. I'm sure these guys are top professionals so they would have a backup plan in case Ten Hag fecks up again.

We won't repeat the mistakes of the outgoing regime. We have some top guys coming in so I'm less worried about Ten Hag getting his paws dirty in the transfer market. Gone are the days of spunking exorbitant transfer fees on average players. I believe the INEOS structure will be alot more frugal in the market.

Rojofiam

I really do wish people would stop this "We're Manchester United" nonsense.

Apart from two great managers in recent times we're just a cup winning team.
So apart from those...checks notes...21 years of dominance just when football and the Premier League itself became a global phenomenon which made us become the biggest club in world football apart from Real Madrid and Barcelona.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Christ, this is the sort of "supporters" we have on here these days.
No the sort of supporters we have are the ones that whinge for the sake of it. Never happy not even after winning an FA cup. Always find something to moan about rather than just enjoying the moment.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
From some of the posts on here you'd think we were plucky little Le Havre or Frozone and that we should consider ourselves lucky to just be in the same league as some of the big boys
No but people expect us to still be winning leagues after the manager of 25 years had left. Left us with an over aged squad. We shouldn’t just be given the league because of who we are and what we did under Fergie. You have to earn it. We’d probably be back challenging if we didn’t have such a bad recruitment team and people running the club. Fergie hid all that because of how good of a manager he was. Managers nowadays need the correct players to play a certain way and win titles. Pep wouldn’t win anything with the squad fergie left. They got their retirement spot on where as we haven’t which is why we’re in the mess we are.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
What should we do to improve our league standing? Bash our keyboards harder? All clubs have good and bad periods. It's always been the way.

Before the golden age you all seem to think was normal , we went 27 years without a title, and people still loved and supported the club.

The Glory hunters tag never really resonated to any of us who watched the club in the 80s, but the spoilt brat fans one certainly does now.

Enjoy it for what it is. It's about moments and yes they are not very frequent now, but that FA Cup win was one of the sweetest.

I think you should get an upgrade if the club don't meet your standards. Real Madrid perhaps?

Big Ben Foster

Supports
No but people expect us to still be winning leagues after the manager of 25 years had left. Left us with an over aged squad. We shouldn’t just be given the league because of who we are and what we did under Fergie. You have to earn it. We’d probably be back challenging if we didn’t have such a bad recruitment team and people running the club. Fergie hid all that because of how good of a manager he was. Managers nowadays need the correct players to play a certain way and win titles. Pep wouldn’t win anything with the squad fergie left. They got their retirement spot on where as we haven’t which is why we’re in the mess we are.
There's an enormous middle ground that exists between winning leagues and the season we just had.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
How do we go from interviewing other targets, and thinking of sacking the manager to lets give him a new contract extension. Surely if you are sticking with ETH, the smart move would be to monitor for the next 6 months to a year before even considering an extension.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
How do we go from interviewing other targets, and thinking of sacking the manager to lets give him a new contract extension. Surely if you are sticking with ETH, the smart move would be to monitor for the next 6 months to a year before even considering an extension.
You are increasing the odds of a poor season if you send him in to it as a lame duck. It'd be poor from the owners. It's a risk but one that really has to be taken. They can still sack him if they have to.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
You are increasing the odds of a poor season if you send him in to it as a lame duck. It'd be poor from the owners. It's a risk but one that really has to be taken. They can still sack him if they have to.
Worked out alright for Real and Ancelotti last season

croadyman

Yeah that's what should be happening

Big Ben Foster

Supports
And those situations are the same to you? Hmm.
His future was heavily in doubt at the start of the season, to the extent that the Brazil NT was certain he'd be joining at the end of the season.

New contract or not, everyone including ETH knows he's in the hot seat going into this season.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
His future was heavily in doubt at the start of the season, to the extent that the Brazil NT was certain he'd be joining at the end of the season.

New contract or not, everyone including ETH knows he's in the hot seat going into this season.
I don't see ETH with all the crap and pressure he's getting being able to manage at all without at least talks of an extension. Mainly down to idiot journalists spouting bollox and fuelling online nonsense. So basically it's your fault they have to enter talks.

Rake

Not to mention we have a +1 option so he essentially has 2 years left not one.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Possibly things came up during review process that were not apparent before, I reckon he may have impressed them greatly behind the scenes with his vision and future plans to an extent where they bought into this completely.

Amir

Any thought on the injury’s affecting the style of play? We had a clear game plan in the FA cup final. Our 2nd goal was beautiful play from beautiful passing. We also can’t say that we’re not going to improve next season until we’re like 10 games in or something. An injury free team plus new additions and I think we’ll be in a much better place playing much better football. Just my opinion.
Our FA Cup final plan was fine for that specific match, but it's obviously not something that will lead us anywhere on a week-to-week basis. Same for scoring a nice goal.

As for injuries, they can have some effect of course and harm results, but I don't think they should totally change the way a team plays or prevent it from having a clear style.

I agree that better players and less injuries will lead to better football and better results, but that's a pretty natural thing for any manager.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah, but that doesn't increase his authority to manage. That's a club option.
It actually works the opposite way to a new contract. The new contract sends out a message that this is our guy, we are happy with the work he’s done and we want to back him 100%’ while keeping him on 1+1 suggests we have limited confidence in his ability to perform as a coach and he needs to prove himself. Given how media outlets had indicated that the latter was the case, it was vital to prove that it actually wasn’t and that his future beyond the next few months is not in doubt (barring results getting worse).