Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Maybe they were. But Arteta, when they decided to stick with him, got massive backing in the market and he improved them immensely afterwards. Trouble is, we’ve already given that backing to EtH to the tune of £400m and we’ve gone backwards and ended with a negative goal difference. How much more £’s are we going to have to back him with to compete with Arsenal?
Forget the money spent. It’s misleading. Compare the players they have bought to our motley crew.
Hopefully INEOS hold true to their stated desire to ‘never be the dumb money’ and we get smarter in the market.

mu4c_20le

And now Emery is one of the preferred candidates for our next manager and hailed as a tactical genius because he got Villa into 4th, despite failing at the top clubs he’s been at so go figure.
I hope you are joking about the blind faith. If anything they pulled the trigger early and decisively when they realized the project wasn't going anywhere. Emery's decent, and did well at Sevilla, but not sure about genius. What I am sure is that he wouldn't have gotten Arsenal to where they are now. Title challenge down to the wire trophy.

AneRu

Probably bull but if true it may be beat for all parties for ashworth to take up gardening in full.
If he so much as mentioned Southgate in a meeting, just a thought it should be enough for us to move on from him and appoint Dougie Freedman ASAP. Not only will he be certifiably insane but, as Woodward has shown, there is nothing worse than an incompetent buffoon with nepotistic tendencies.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I hope you are joking about the blind faith. If anything they pulled the trigger early and decisively when they realized the project wasn't going anywhere. Emery's decent, and did well at Sevilla, but not sure about genius. What I am sure is that he wouldn't have gotten Arsenal to where they are now. Title challenge down to the wire trophy.
You know our manager has actually won actual physical tangible silverware, right?

spwd

In SAF first season we finished 11th, his second season we finished just above relegation. Third season we finished 6th.
4th season we won the league And then went onto dominate the league for many years to come Winning countless trophies along the way.

ETH deserves another season. Two trophies won in two years after 6 years of sod all. Stick with Erik.

Kirk lazarus

This
That's the default every single time. Bring up the 80s as if nothing else has changed since then
Loads has changed , you're right . None of the changes have made it easier to build a team quickly . You used to be able to able to buy and sell players whenever you wanted , not twice a year .

Blood Mage

The Glazers wouldn't have been daft enough to hire Southgate. Ashworth is already looking like a bad appointment.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The Glazers wouldn't have been daft enough to hire Southgate. Ashworth is already looking like a bad appointment.
The way these aggregator accounts just take little snippets from crap sources to create a Twitter headline and so many people take is as gospel, is scary.

BarstoolProphet

This

Loads has changed , you're right . None of the changes have made it easier to build a team quickly . You used to be able to able to buy and sell players whenever you wanted , not twice a year .
Can't we just skip all this and go straight to calling SAF the most overrated and luckiest manager of all time?

FujiVice

I think people need to consider when it comes to Southgate that he's got PR coming out of his arse. Loads of friends in the media, Mr Nice guy, worked as a pundit for years because nobody would hire him. Just look at the Mirror defending him over his shocking squad choices today. I imagine the chances are that these goons are trying to will it into existence.

TsuWave

In SAF first season we finished 11th, his second season we finished just above relegation. Third season we finished 6th.
4th season we won the league And then went onto dominate the league for many years to come Winning countless trophies along the way.

ETH deserves another season. Two trophies won in two years after 6 years of sod all. Stick with Erik.
Do you think “time” is the magic recipe to turn any random manager into “Ferguson”?

hobbers

What the hell are you talking about? They themselves sacked Emery after barely a season.
Arsenal blasted Emery even though he's clearly a top quality manager.

Liverpool blasted Rodgers after he almost won them a league title.

Profit. Well. Still not in Arsenals case.

Kirk lazarus

Can't we just skip all this and go straight to calling SAF the most overrated and luckiest manager of all time?
How did you get to that ? I'm curious .

Do you realize he's written books and spoken publicly about his early years here .

It's not something he's ashamed of . He doesn't need you taking offense on his behalf . So you can have a night off

NLunited

Liverpool is considered a good win for us, but we were losing that with what, 10? minutes to go and then again in extra time. Game is over 90 minutes, not 70.
That Pool game went back and forth, it is not the same. Coventry was out of sight with twenty minutes to go and we didn’t show any composure or grit to see out the game.

croadyman

Based on the idea that Wilcox want's possession football and perhaps Berrada's involvement with City you can only really look to the likes of Xavi and De Zerbi.

If Erik's going, I think the next appointment will be a choice fans aren't familiar with. Not an underwhelming candidate but one the papers aren't doing the rounds on.

The lack of transparency with what's happened with De Zerbi and Bloom to close the season is also odd, right at the end of the season couldn't have been stranger timing. The decision for Brighton to go after Mckenna felt like impulse as opposed to a profound process.
Obvioysly you have referred to Xavi and De Zerbi, but is there anyone else's name you want to throw in

Redstain

Obvioysly you have referred to Xavi and De Zerbi, but is there anyone else's name you want to throw in
Not off the top of my head but it would make sense being bereft of ideas if data and statistics is being used to determine choices, I feel the media are using presupposed ideas in their columns.

If INEOS are indeed using the framework of building a project that disseminates from the hierarchy down to the head coach, it's increasingly likely a new appointment could be a less popularized choice.

If the hiring of Berrada, Wilcox and Toby Craig for instance is anything to go by it's reminiscent of dealings fans and journo's had no traction with.

What I'm stating is speculative but it wouldn't be a surprising outcome.

Bithaneth

I was filled with hope about INEOS. It didn't get rid of the Glazers, sure. But, any change like this would surely be better than the Glazer's on their own, right? Especially if the newcomers take over the football side.

The hope hasn't totally vanished. But, I'm starting to ask more and more questions.

I 100% believe Man Utd should stay faithful to ETH, and getting rid of him would be a massive mistake. Especially as I'm not confident any other manager would have worked miracles with our fractured squad this season. But, I've already said my piece on that.

But, what are INEOS doing exactly? The press were pretty much adamant before the Cup Final that ETH was about to get sacked. Was this based on solid foundations, or the press stirring the pot, and gathering steam as other reporters ran the story? Perhaps there was substance in it, after all, INEOS have never put those rumours to bed. So, I expected, and dreaded, that INEOS would announce the sacking of ETH shortly after the Cup Final. Yet, well over a week later, nothing. Fans don't know, and I assume players don't know and ETH doesn't know. Do INEOS even know? After all, they haven't even sorted themselves out yet, and have everyone in position at board level.

If they were going to bring in Poch, Tuchel or De Zerbi, I'd have thought they'd have just done it by now. I don't mind Poch (but still want the club to stick with ETH), although the other 2 fill me with dread. If they haven't brought these guys in, are they waiting for a manager who isn't yet available? In other words, Southgate? Oh, please God no. Nice chap, a diplomat, but CV is really poor as a Club Manager. He pretty much got the England job by default, after the shenanigans of Allardyce. And, despite England's excellent side and some good runs in tournaments, I think England fans generally agree is that Southgate is the weak link. Is there any evidence he is the type of manager who can play a style of football fans, including opposition fans, constantly tell us Man Utd should be playing?

When INEOS came in, I felt that as we approached the end of the season and got into the summer, they would be full steam ahead in planning the transfer strategy. Talking with the manager, looking at the players that can go, and doing a lot of work on the types of players, and personalities, we bring into the club. Then working on deals, so they can acquire them without spending the money that matches the GDP of a small country. But, how can any of that really happen without knowing the manager? Are current players, who like ETH, going to become unsettled? The likes of Mainoo, Garnacho, Bruno and Martinez probably have a good relationship with ETH, will they become disillusioned with another change in management. Will another manager give some players yet another chance, while ETH may be happy to let them go if an offer comes in?

Ironically, I've personally never felt Man Utd as being as unsettled as they are now, at the end of a season. Even in the season Ragnick took over temporary charge, a season that was just chaos, ETH was appointed by the end of April. So, as a fan, I was happy that the club could start planning for the future. I honestly have no idea what they are doing right now.

I live in hope that they have a Masterplan, one that will actually work. But, as each day passes, my doubts increase.
Again, almost word-for-word I agree with this poster. My sentiments are almost identical, with the only slight difference being that I had little hope regarding INEOS. Till Glazers are there we'll never have that coherence of a football club where everything is related to football from highest to lowest ranks within the club. Ownership and stockholders are totally ideologically and even practically detached from core of institution of Manchester United. Only real interest is profit and profit does not necessarily have to be related to success. Look, even investments are calculated and guided by model of cost-effectivness but cost-effectivnes that is not related to football whatsoever. In this business venture and structure, football is a scondary concern and thats the problem. These talks about managers and their influence are kind of funny, not that they are not important, but still, come on, there will always be one and much bigger problem.