Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
I like both Slot and ETH and think they are both good managers but this is just too easy. Slot joined a stable club in Liverpool with a squad that's done well for years and hasn't had to change much at all. He only slightly tweaked the tactics but largely carried on Klopps work. EtH joined United and has had to deal with a tonne of crap. No vision from the club, mutiny from players, a rapist, big injury crisis, etc.. Which isn't to say EtH is the right man for the job at United but the job Slot took was so much easier it's almost beyond compare.

While ETH had 600m to spent, 80% of the current starting XI was bought to his suit, and 2 years to iron out whatever method he wants to employ.

If that's not enough to at least make us play football resembling even midtable club then what's the point?

I thought the way last season ended, and the very public review into whether or not to replace him, was going to be a reality check.

I assumed he would have to acknowledge what had gone wrong and open himself to the changes that needed to happen.

I honestly thought that with his ego checked a little bit, there was a coach in there who could get out of his own way and improve things.

I was wrong. His demeanour and language all summer was concerning, and the start of the season suggests little has changed with him. The fact he didn’t want to run a mile from signing more Dutch/Eredivise players and the unnecessary pressure that would bring on him baffled me. His selections and subs still have the same flaws - his tactics are still suicidal and his comments about his record and trophies, only show he doesn’t understand the club or the importance of the league.

I still don’t see an ideal available replacement, and I can’t stand the idea of Tuchel in particular, but at this stage anything would be better than this deluded clown.

We also have a brand new coaching team yet nothing has changed. Something is clearly not working and I predict a change in October

Tuchel would have been my choice and still is, ahead of Southgate definitely.
Tuchel yes is a good coach and definitely ahead of Southgate.

I do think if we were to part ways with ETH (and he has until Christmas to show improvement)

Then we really do need a forward thinking coach.

United has the players, has the footballing structure we need the right coach and play style.

The coach needs to fit into the way INEOS wants to play, so it might not be a name we know currently.

We need personality, charisma, and a coach that pushes their players. We'll see what happens.

We also have a brand new coaching team yet nothing has changed. Something is clearly not working and I predict a change in October

It's been 3 games.

It's the same as putting a seed in the ground, adding some water and saying "feck, ive done everything and its not grown yet"

One day I’ll enjoy watching us play a game of football again, unfortunately that is never going to happen whilst this piss poor excuse of a manager is in situ. I’m hoping there’s been some high level meetings this morning - with Ratcliffe, Brailsford and Berrada - where they’ve been discussing the quickest and best way to get rid of him.

I gave him a pretty generous benefit of the doubt at the end of the season as I thought the FA cup win and the way was accomplished looked like progress. In the tactical sense anyway, I thought we played that game really well and was intrigued to see what might happen going forward.

That was a mistake and probably let my emotions get the better of me in all honesty.

I thought at the time he deserved a crack under INEOS and the new structure and I was wrong. No shame in admitting that.

There has been no progress and his arrogance and constant refusal to acknowledge this has just worn me down.

I don't see any scenario where he makes it to Christmas at the moment.

Honestly think if INEOS had anything about them and were ruthless he'd be gone today as he embarrassed us and himself yesterday with both the performance and the bizarrre comments afterwards.
:eek:

I posted this earlier in the thread, and it highlights what is different between ETH and a lot of the other Dutch managers:

"At Ajax, ETH set up his teams to take advntage of the other teams weaknesses, he didn't have any style of play of his own. He didn't build a team to play a certain way and force other teams to react like SAF did, or City and Liverpool have. He'd change every week to take advantage of the opposition weaknesses - he let them determine how he played. This is exactly what we see him doing here, and it's not viable.

In the Dutch league the standard is much lower, and generally Ajax have very good technical players that can adapt to the challenge of the opponent that week - this won't work at United, where we need a strong team identity, patterns of play and viable system."

He never built a strong identity or style of play at Ajax, he coasted on the tails of the club, and just adapted to the opposition. Other Dutch managers built teams with styles to beat Ajax - they developed their patterns, style, attitude etc because they had to as underdogs. This for me is why Ruud, Slot etc would.will do better than ETH who is effectively a football chamelion.

This isn't the whole truth. Ajax under EtH were a solid possession side, and athletic to the point they were strong in pressing, and dangerous on the counter. In more competitive games when they lost the ball, they worked hard, and to a plan you could actually physically see, to get the ball back and start that transition again. It's definitely not just about EtH letting the Ajax players write their own script on the pitch because "they were good enough" to do that. He gave them frameworks in which to work for different scenarios, which were solidified through a good squad harmony, technical planning and coaching, and it clicked really well at times.

When you say he "coasted on the tails of the club" I can kinda see that. A lot of those foundations were laid in the decade before him, including revamping the youth setup in a way that progressed dutch youth football at the time, across the league.

I don't know what, if anything, he has actually tried to solidify at United in terms of tactics, but he's not been able to have the same levels of success in anything he's tried to bring with him from Ajax, or anything new he has tried. It's a mess, and it isn't working out.

He needs to be sacked ASAP. It won't happen because INEOS will look like absolute idiots, but the matter of fact is that he is a dead man walking anyway. Three games in and a shit show already. Circus never ends at this club.
Why will they look like idiots for sacking him? Everyone wants him sacked, he’s talking broken biscuits in every interview, the players have clearly had enough. A good decision is a good decision no matter when it’s made.

Emery took Aston Villa from relegation battle to Europe with only 1 transfer window.
I'm ready for a new start this season but it's clear that after 3 season, United still having issues breaking through press when opponents adjust or carelessness in buildup.
That's on the manager
Spot on. Bournemouth tinned their manager (O’Neil) for an upgrade (Iraola). Fans are happy for players to be upgraded all the time. Why are managers any different?

Won the Fa Cup so we forgot how terrible the capitulation against Coventry was. That small offside saved it from total embarassment and saved his job. I'm not complaining as we won the trophy but that trophy can't make up for awful league campaign.

I’m hoping we start seeing some rumours of this bum getting the boot during the International break but I don’t think that’s likely, unfortunately.

I posted this earlier in the thread, and it highlights what is different between ETH and a lot of the other Dutch managers:

"At Ajax, ETH set up his teams to take advntage of the other teams weaknesses, he didn't have any style of play of his own. He didn't build a team to play a certain way and force other teams to react like SAF did, or City and Liverpool have. He'd change every week to take advantage of the opposition weaknesses - he let them determine how he played. This is exactly what we see him doing here, and it's not viable.

In the Dutch league the standard is much lower, and generally Ajax have very good technical players that can adapt to the challenge of the opponent that week - this won't work at United, where we need a strong team identity, patterns of play and viable system."

He never built a strong identity or style of play at Ajax, he coasted on the tails of the club, and just adapted to the opposition. Other Dutch managers built teams with styles to beat Ajax - they developed their patterns, style, attitude etc because they had to as underdogs. This for me is why Ruud, Slot etc would.will do better than ETH who is effectively a football chamelion.
While this could well be true (I haven't watched Ajax enough to properly judge this) and like I said ETH might not be the right man for the job, it doesn't change the fact that the Liverpool job Slot took and the United job ETH took are vastly different.

I'd want to sack him asap really, but I think it's only fair to give him at least 10 games where he has the same core and best material at his availabilty to see if his playing style actually has any meaning at all.

I gave him a pretty generous benefit of the doubt at the end of the season as I thought the FA cup win and the way was accomplished looked like progress. In the tactical sense anyway, I thought we played that game really well and was intrigued to see what might happen going forward.

That was a mistake and probably let my emotions get the better of me in all honesty.

I thought at the time he deserved a crack under INEOS and the new structure and I was wrong. No shame in admitting that.

There has been no progress and his arrogance and constant refusal to acknowledge this has just worn me down.

I don't see any scenario where he makes it to Christmas at the moment.

Honestly think if INEOS had anything about them and were ruthless he'd be gone today as he embarrassed us and himself yesterday with both the performance and the bizarrre comments afterwards.
We keep hearing best in class from the likes of Ratcliffe and I hope that he’s putting the likes of Ashworth, Berrada, and Wilcox under immense pressure this week. They’re the one’s that will ultimately have to pull the plug on Ten Hag.

Tuchel yes is a good coach and definitely ahead of Southgate.

I do think if we were to part ways with ETH (and he has until Christmas to show improvement)

Then we really do need a forward thinking coach.

United has the players, has the footballing structure we need the right coach and play style.

The coach needs to fit into the way INEOS wants to play, so it might not be a name we know currently.

We need personality, charisma, and a coach that pushes their players. We'll see what happens.

Despite all the millions spent on players, I am not sure we have anything like a good enough group to challenge the top teams.
Goalkeeper is poor at best.
Midfield and defence, hopefully Yoro and Ugarte will be up to standard.
And we are weak upfront.

But a top coach should at least be able to challenge for a possible 4th place spot.

So many geniuses let the FA Cup final overwrite the absolute garbage we've seen since the Carabao.

In truth, during his entire reign we've only had about a 3 month window where we played decent (not great) football. He is our worst post-Fergie manager easily.
The behaviour on here was a contender for one of the wonders of the world.

A terrible season of breaking all the wrong records, he wins a one-off FA cup final, and all of a sudden, a complete pendulum swing.
After the abject CL group failure, it became clear to me that EtH wasn't the answer.

Southgate obviously isn't either, and that may have played a role in people deciding the lesser of the 2 evils was probably Ok in the short term. :lol:

I'd want to sack him asap really, but I think it's only fair to give him at least 10 games where he has the same core and best material at his availabilty to see if his playing style actually has any meaning at all.
We all know the answer to this already, why do we have to waste another 7 games before we change? Just bring someone else in and give them those games to get up to speed with things instead.

I’ve been a big backer of ETH but thinking he’s definitely gonna have to go now

There’s just nothing different, it’s the same mistakes over and over again and that can only be put down to him. Thought we actually looked ok for the first 20 mins or so yesterday and then as seems more the norm these days we just collapsed.

From what I watched yesterday it’s gonna take more than Ugarte alone as well to fix that midfield. Completely over run.

I wouldn’t be hanging about to Christmas either. Pull the trigger now and let Ruud have a crack at it

Emery took Aston Villa from relegation battle to Europe with only 1 transfer window.
I'm ready for a new start this season but it's clear that after 3 season, United still having issues breaking through press when opponents adjust or carelessness in buildup.
That's on the manager

We have a brilliant squad honestly.

I think we have a better back four, and midfield than Liverpool for example.

Goalkeeper obviously Allison is the worlds best so no competition and Salah is just incredible.

Point is we are up there with Liverpool and potentially Arsenal with the right coach.

Maybe it is time but, RvN and Hake just joined, would a new coach want his own backroom staff? If we do change the manager then is it short term or are we going to just sack them in 12 months?

We need the right coach with the right style, high possession, quick turn overs for a start. We need to dominate games we're Manchester United, and we've had absolute shit for 10 years.

I’ve been a big backer of ETH but thinking he’s definitely gonna have to go now

There’s just nothing different, it’s the same mistakes over and over again and that can only be put down to him. Thought we actually looked ok for the first 20 mins or so yesterday and then as seems more the norm these days we just collapsed.

From what I watched yesterday it’s gonna take more than Ugarte alone as well to fix that midfield. Completely over run.

I wouldn’t be hanging about to Christmas either. Pull the trigger now and let Ruud have a crack at it
I've backed him since last season but he has everything around him now, a good squad, good leadership.

He has 3 months in my eyes or its time to go.

What did he say?

What did Bruno say? If he had a problem with Casemiro's substitution then he's also a part of the problem considering how bad he was himself.

What did Bruno say?

"When you concede a goal you can't just point at one mistake. What's the point in saying Casemiro lost the ball or Kobbie lost the ball? They lost the ball because they wanted to be brave. It's part of football. Don't make it individual."

Maybe he's having a go at the pundits there, but I read it as a sideswipe at Ten Hag subbing Casemiro at half time - effectively laying the blame on him.

10th game of the season will be at Villa on October 6th (right before the International break).

"When you concede a goal you can't just point at one mistake. What's the point in saying Casemiro lost the ball or Kobbie lost the ball? They lost the ball because they wanted to be brave. It's part of football. Don't make it individual."

Maybe he's having a go at the pundits there, but I read it as a sideswipe at Ten Hag subbing Casemiro at half time - effectively laying the blame on him.
Let’s face it, losing the ball is part of a football match. Losing the ball high up the field in your own half or around the half way line shouldn’t automatically result in conceding a goal, there’s still a lot to do. But our fecking shape and positioning every time we give it away means the opposition have a run on goal almost undeterred. It’s fecking criminal.

League results are pretty much meaningless under him. We will never win it of course, and I don't know why people would even be bothered about us making top 4 or not. We were knocked out of CL by Galatasaray and Copenhagen, two abysmal teams, and yet it was not even seen as much of an embarrassment at the time.

He doesn't need 10 games, or even 1 game. Ugarte isn't fixing this. Mount isn't fixing this. Hojlund isn't fixing this. Neither is Shaw. His "football" is inherently shit. It doesn't work.

He must be sacked now and the season can still be salvaged.

The difference to this season and the painful, drawn out conclusion to last season is that I don’t see the newly established football people at the club accepting performances like yesterday for long. The lack of fight and desire in the team and the bench was quite obvious. I’m glad SJR got pictured they way he did because it shows he cares and won’t suffer this shit for much longer.
ETH comes across as a very unlikeable guy in the media interactions and I can’t imagine a player wanting to put their trust in someone who is so far out of his depth. He’s blown it…blew it a year ago, but survived. 2 lucky cups and he’s putting himself up there with Pep. Embarrassing for anyone connected with United.

Despite all the millions spent on players, I am not sure we have anything like a good enough group to challenge the top teams.
Goalkeeper is poor at best.
Midfield and defence, hopefully Yoro and Ugarte will be up to standard.
And we are weak upfront.

But a top coach should at least be able to challenge for a possible 4th place spot.

In our squad.

Yoro is potentially world class.
De Ligt I think is, especially in the right team.
Ugarte is in the top 1% for duels won so he's world class ball winner.
Martinez is top class, and one of the best ball playing defenders.
Bruno is.
Mainoo has the potential to be.
Dalot is top class too.
Shaw when fit is, but his fitness is the problem.
Garnacho has the potential.
The rest the jury is out.

We have a better squad than Villa, a better midfield and defence than Liverpool its just not coached well.

While ETH had 600m to spent, 80% of the current starting XI was bought to his suit, and 2 years to iron out whatever method he wants to employ.

If that's not enough to at least make us play football resembling even midtable club then what's the point?
I think we can safely say his judgement on transfers wasn't the best and shouldn't (have) be(en) his responsibility. But it's not his fault the club spent €95m on Antony when that should have been €40m tops, or €70m on Casemiro when that should have been €40m tops. The amount spent is on the ones who spent it and that's not ETH. But yes I agree he has been backed, he's got players in that he wanted and logically you'd expect to see progress by now. In my opinion we've not seen enough progress so I'm not against getting someone else in (I voted sack).

Really? Is it that impressive

It's not that impressive at all, Liverpool also were not as impressive as people make them seem really.

They transitioned well and were clinical. If it was Ugarte not Casemiro, different story.

Ugarte releases the ball quickly when he wins it and doesn't lose the ball, so 2 goals were down to him. The other part was not clinical at the other end.

We're supposed to transition, so Liverpool got the ball and didn't lose it on the transition.

United lost it when the full backs were in transition going up the pitch, Casemiro dithered on the ball and lost it.

It wasn't that "Uniteds full back were high up" it's that United had the ball and Casemiro lost it in stupid positions.

In our squad.

Yoro is potentially world class.
De Ligt I think is, especially in the right team.
Ugarte is in the top 1% for duels won so he's world class ball winner.
Martinez is top class, and one of the best ball playing defenders.
Bruno is.
Mainoo has the potential to be.
Dalot is top class too.
Shaw when fit is, but his fitness is the problem.
Garnacho has the potential.
The rest the jury is out.

We have a better squad than Villa, a better midfield and defence than Liverpool its just not coached well.
Our squad is pretty decent really, but Ten Hag could go to Real Madrid or City and sink them.

I think we can safely say his judgement on transfers wasn't the best and shouldn't (have) be(en) his responsibility. But it's not his fault the club spent €95m on Antony when that should have been €40m tops, or €70m on Casemiro when that should have been €40m tops. The amount spent is on the ones who spent it and that's not ETH. But yes I agree he has been backed, he's got players in that he wanted and logically you'd expect to see progress by now. In my opinion we've not seen enough progress so I'm not against getting someone else in (I voted sack).
Down to Arnold with Antony, and Casemiro yes should have been 40 at best given his age.

Problem is United didn't do anything to help themselves. The Glazers said "we have 150m for tranfers" and Arnold went "feck we're losing to Brighton lets give 70m to Madrid"