Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what and how these guys are pitching to potential managers if this and the Tuchel rejected us thing are true. Adult Disneyland requiem.
Probably a lower level of money with caveats built in to protect the club, and no absolute control over transfers. Not every coach wants to work like that

Probably a lower level of money with caveats built in to protect the club, and no absolute control over transfers. Not every coach wants to work like that

I don't think there are many/if any coaches that have absolute control over transfers at any top club in europe, so that's a given. In terms of remuneration, I'd also expect us to have a pulse on managers' current contracts - though I did read that money was supposedly an impasse with Tuchel. Hopefully TheAthletic or another platform manages more insight

I should probably read your entire conversation but why are you fixated on the paying him upfront? The issue for United as far as I know isn't about cash flow but accounting, if you sack him you have to write the entire cost of his sacking in your books at the date it happened regardless of the payments choices. So if United are in a difficult situation when it comes FFP/FSR then the issue with sacking him is that you have to quickly offset it with a legitimate injection of revenue.

I'm not. The person I'm replying to takes the view that the cost of paying the manager off may be prohibitive and that might be why he's not been sacked or why some aren't convinced on moving him on him. I disagree, taking the view that this won't be imperative - especially when the club took the choice to take his option up in the summer.

I don't know the ins and outs of PSR, and if what you say is correct then fair enough. I think it's unlikely that the club would, (at least partially) by virtue of taking up an option in his contract and extending it by a year, put themselves in a position where they can't sack him due to PSR restrictions. That'd be beyond incompetence, because the terms of his contract are known. Noting they considered moving him on in the summer, this must have been considered when they decided to stick with him then.

We know the club has many big issues - that's why the club is where it is, cutting costs wherever possible and shaking everything up behind the scenes. Leaning on the line "then there's much bigger issues" in several posts isn't giving anybody anything to think about - we already know there are.

But yeah, I don't know what you're arguing anymore apart from a church&state-style separation between the football and the money, as though the two have no impact on one another.

To make myself as abundantly clear as it is possible to do so without drawing a picture, I have provided a possible reason as to why not everyone at the club is on the same page over Ten Hag's immediate future. Once again, if you have alternative theories, by all means put them forward and we can discuss them.

I'm not, however, particularly interested in digressions that simply restate points I've already addressed, nor am I interested in speculating on the potential payment plan of somebody's outstanding salary beyond what's been reliably reported (because come on now, that just sounds dull as feck), so I'm unwilling to expend further effort on either of those topics with you.

The "bigger issue" I refer to is that if a club as big as United, cannot afford (due to PSR or overall cost) to sack a manager, despite INEOS professing to know what they're doing, then thats clearly a major problem.

Re the bolded point, that's not what I said.

You have provided a reason. I disagreed and you asked me to provide mine, which I did. You don't agree. That's fine.

Sir Jim of Brexit publically declined to say whether he still has faith in Ten Hag when asked by the BBC on October 4th. Weird way to back him.
Ratcliffe has made it indirectly clear he wants ETH gone. It's Berrada & Ashworth who are still backing ETH

I wonder what and how these guys are pitching to potential managers if this and the Tuchel rejected us thing are true. Adult Disneyland requiem.

Apparently Inzaghi too. Eventually our ineptitude is going to catch up to us and we suddenly don't look a good prospect, maybe that's what is happening now. The prospect of us just simply not being able to tempt somebody else, who is either at the top of their game and doing well or simply a very good prospect, is a worrying one. If I was advising these coaches or even players then I'd obviously be thinking about how coming here could ruin their reputation.

Funny how his former coaches are coming out defending him lately. McCarthy praising him, McClaren praising him. They must be a good coach in there somewhere. I always believe in some coaches being good for certain level of teams and where there’s less pressure.

Funny how his former coaches are coming out defending him lately. McCarthy praising him, McClaren praising him. They must be a good coach in there somewhere. I always believe in some coaches being good for certain level of teams and where there’s less pressure.

There's a potion of Ajax fans that didn't even rate him near the end of his career there. That was in a significantly weaker league in which he won more often or not.

I'm not. The person I'm replying to takes the view that the cost of paying the manager off may be prohibitive and that might be why he's not been sacked or why some aren't convinced on moving him on him. I disagree, taking the view that this won't be imperative - especially when the club took the choice to take his option up in the summer.

I don't know the ins and outs of PSR, and if what you say is correct then fair enough. I think it's unlikely that the club would, (at least partially) by virtue of taking up an option in his contract and extending it by a year, put themselves in a position where they can't sack him due to PSR restrictions. That'd be beyond incompetence, because the terms of his contract are known. Noting they considered moving him on in the summer, this must have been considered when they decided to stick with him then.
I'm convinced a big part of the reason he stayed in the summer is that it was the cheapest option because like now it didn't make any footballing sense to keep him.

They gambled on him coming good and are now sticking with it as INEOS/the Glazers don't want to take a £15m plus hit this year if they can avoid it. People are blinded by PSR when it's just a normal business decision.

I'm convinced a big part of the reason he stayed in the summer is that it was the cheapest option because like now it didn't make any footballing sense to keep him.

They gambled on him coming good and are now sticking with it as INEOS/the Glazers don't want to take a £15m plus hit this year if they can avoid it. People are blinded by PSR when it's just a normal business decision.
The 15m figure assumes we'd have to pay out the entirety of his contract, which is almost never how it works out. Much more likely it would be a fraction of that number.

We have one of the most expansive team in the world and it’s easier to get motivated for 2 FA cup games than for an entire season.
So if we judge ETH on the FA cup run, we should also see that he is abysmal in the league 2 seasons in a row. And the league is our bread and butter. He should have been gone long time ago.
I agree, and have said that several times. Was just giving a nuanced opinion,

Haha thank you for the reassurance! I actually think that EtH maybe has style of speaking which gets fully translated in Dutch with nuances and all. And perhaps his standard of English just gives people the wrong impression of what he really means. Anyway, I am looking to meet really lovely Dutch people in the Netherlands next year!
Yeah his standard of english is weird. I’ve said it before but I was there 15 years ago and it would have been poor then for an educated guy. I mean at the cinema, the Hollywood films aren’t dubbed, they’re shown in original English. Anyway bit off topic but the people are open and friendly. Great place to live.

Whether we can crack the Top Ten or not it's pretty clear the players will continue to vastly underperform under Ten Hag. Whether it's tomorrow or three weeks from now, once the decision on his successor has been made and is ready for announcement, Ten Hag has to go. Unless, of course, INEOS is satisfied with mediocrity on the pitch but I highly doubt that's the case. It was the case with the Glazers and I understand the Glazers are still the primary owners of the club, but INEOS has operational control of footballing operations and I cannot imagine that they will tolerate Ten Hag's rule much longer.

One annoying trend I’ve noticed under him is we always start the season so slowly like it’s the first time the team has ever played with eachother. Makes you wonder what on earth he has them doing in that 6 weeks of pre-season.

One annoying trend I’ve noticed under him is we always start the season so slowly like it’s the first time the team has ever played with eachother. Makes you wonder what on earth he has them doing in that 6 weeks of pre-season.
Half of them weren't there for pre-season bar the last week or so

Any idea when United are back in training? Assuming tomorrow

I’m holding out the faintest of hope that he won’t be there

I reckon as long as we’re not relegated he’ll keep his job.

We’re already 14th where do you go from there

It depends. If we place him on gardening leave, he's still technically an employee and we continue to incur his ongoing wage expense until his contract expires or he finds a new job. If we sack him, we do an immediate one-time write down of whatever severance amount he's owed (which usually comes out to significantly less than the full amount of what's left on his contract - I believe with our last few managers it came out to a year's worth of wages).

Why is it a normal business decision? A 15m loss this year doesn't affect INEOS nor the Glazers, the money doesn't come from their pockets. Such financial hit only affects the way the club would be manage in the next 12 months but it does nothing for the owners.

It’s just 7 games :rolleyes:. Are we really expecting to be lumped in with these names after 30 more games
Actually, we only scored 57 goals last year which was 5 more than Luton (who got relegated), 1 more than Brentford (who were 16th), the same as 10th Crystal Palace and 17 behind the worst team that finished above us.

Even the season before when we finished 3rd we only scored 58 which was 10 worse than the second worst team in top 6 and only 7 better than relegated Leicester and 10 better than relegated Leeds.

This isn’t somehow isolated to this season only, we’ve been a low scoring team for 2.5 years. We will probably not be the third lowest scoring team in the league come the end of season but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we were bottom half in goals scored.

Why is it a normal business decision? A 15m loss this year doesn't affect INEOS nor the Glazers, the money doesn't come from their pockets. Such financial hit only affects the way the club would be manage in the next 12 months but it does nothing for the owners.
It's their business and ultimately their money.

For even mentioning relegation he should be sacked
We are not going to be relegated, that much is clear. We may not be a top half team but we are not bad enough to drop into the bottom three.

We are not going to be relegated, that much is clear. We may not be a top half team but we are not bad enough to drop into the bottom three.

I think you're right. We could have a blind man managing us and we'd be fine, only because we've got too much quality that seems to drag us through games or nick us points when needed. I think for that to be a conversation we'd need a few injuries again. We are in relegation form, I believe, over the last 15 or 20 games, but you still feel we'll be safe. Not in any way because of our manager though, he's bringing absolutely nothing to the table.

It was so good not to have a weekend ruining by United again. Can we have another international break please?

I think you're right. We could have a blind man managing us and we'd be fine, only because we've got too much quality that seems to drag us through games or nick us points when needed. I think for that to be a conversation we'd need a few injuries again. We are in relegation form, I believe, over the last 15 or 20 games, but you still feel we'll be safe. Not in any way because of our manager though, he's bringing absolutely nothing to the table.
Despite our poor start we are on pace for 43 points which keeps us up easily. I think we will comfortably get to around 50 though, as bad as ten Hag is.

Status
Not open for further replies.