Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
An interim manager exists so you can finalise the details of terminating someones contract? What about the interims contract does that take 5 minutes as well? The fact there are 2 former managers as assistance probably speaks to some planning around there being an interim. Also in the grand scheme of things 2/3 games is not a big deal

Are you seriously trying to argue that Ineos are logistically incapable of sacking Ten Hag right now and immediately replacing him with RvN as an interim? That with all their resources, completing such a feat over the course of a few days is uniquely beyond them when other clubs do it every single season?

It’s nonsese. They must’ve known since May that sacking him around now and replacing him with an interim like RvN was a very real possibility. So if they’re not logistically already prepared to do it then it’s incompetence. And if they are logistically prepared but still not doing it, then they’re just dithering. To what end?

And 2/3 games can absolutely matter in the grand scheme of things. The next game has a very real affect on our standings in the EL.

What is to gain from letting a lame duck like Ten Hag stay on a minute longer? Everyone knows he’s done.

Are you seriously trying to argue that Ineos are logistically incapable of sacking Ten Hag right now and immediately replacing him with RvN as an interim? That with all their resources, completing such a feat over the course of a few days is uniquely beyond them when other clubs do it every single season?

It’s nonsese. They must’ve known since May that sacking him around now and replacing him with an interim like RvN was a very real possibility. So if they’re not logistically already prepared to do it then it’s incompetence. And if they are logistically prepared but still not doing it, then they’re just dithering. To what end?

And 2/3 games can absolutely matter in the grand scheme of things. The next game has a very real affect on our standings in the EL.

What is to gain from letting a lame duck like Ten Hag stay on a minute longer? Everyone knows he’s done.
Im arguing it takes longer than a day

Does anyone else wonder why we’re making this whole “rebuild” thing much more complicated than it needs to be?… this isn’t rocket science.. focus attention on best goal scorer possible… next, find players who can feed him.. next, find midfield players who look after the ball well… find fullbacks who are good at knowing when to overlap.. buy fast defenders… just those things alone, mixed with the quality of players we realistically should be attracting would have us sitting in the top four most seasons..there’s too many kids trying to work out weird systems in positions we should never really have in the first place, I don’t know what any of them are trying to do in possession, and how the other players help them achieve that, it’s all so random…I watch a lot of football and the team as a whole baffles me..

Yeah, calling the players pathetic isn't really conducive to building a positive working relationship.

No harm in calling it what it is.

If grown men being paid 100k+ a week can't handle a home truth every now and then, they should really reconsider their profession.

Does anyone else wonder why we’re making this whole “rebuild” thing much more complicated than it needs to be?… this isn’t rocket science.. focus attention on best goal scorer possible… next, find players who can feed him.. next, find midfield players who look after the ball well… find fullbacks who are good at knowing when to overlap.. buy fast defenders… just those things alone, mixed with the quality of players we realistically should be attracting would have us sitting in the top four most seasons..there’s too many kids trying to work out weird systems in positions we should never really have in the first place, I don’t know what any of them are trying to do in possession, and how the other players help them achieve that, it’s all so random…I watch a lot of football and the team as a whole baffles me..
His squad building has been horrendous. I always go back to how he said Pep underestimated the physicality of the PL and yet he's spent £600m and has the slowest, weakest team in the PL.

Who said it needed to be done in less than a day? It’s been three days since we were humiliated by Spurs at home
And what if they don’t want Ruud as interim and they have someone else in mind? Its been 3 days exactly. Relax

His squad building has been horrendous. I always go back to how he said Pep underestimated the physicality of the PL and yet he's spent £600m and has the slowest, weakest team in the PL.
We've got arguably the fastest attack in the league in Rashford, Garnacho, Hojlund and maybe Amad.
You need more than just speed though.

If grown men being paid 100k+ a week can't handle a home truth every now and then, they should really reconsider their profession.
You see that's the thing about someone calling your work 'pathetic' it can directly affect your income and career. If losing the ball on the half way line is pathetic then I guess that applies to about 99% of the PL.

And what if they don’t want Ruud as interim and they have someone else in mind? Its been 3 days exactly. Relax

Again, they’ve had since May to figure this contingency out. Ten Hag being equally useless this season as he was last season has not been a surprise. It should have been planned for as one of the very likely scenarios when they made that ill-fated decision to keep him back in May.

If we get an interim rather than an immediate full replacement, it’ll be RvN. We don’t need to see any more humiliations under Ten Hag to figure out where this is headed.

Again, they’ve had since May to figure this contingency out. Ten Hag being equally useless this season as he was last season has not been a surprise. It should have been planned for as one of the very likely scenarios when they made that ill-fated decision to keep him back in May.

If we get an interim rather than an immediate full replacement, it’ll be RvN. We don’t need to see any more humiliations under Ten Hag to figure out where this is headed.
Yes we can see them under Ruud instead

Yes we can see them under Ruud instead

Not going to take any of your predictions seriously given the fact that you were arguing with other posters that we weren’t going to get humiliated by Spurs and would win if we kept our performances up.

I don’t think it’s that big a mystery.

There are definitely some elements there that go beyond the manager: poor management and recruitment on a club level from the top down, as well as a lack of discipline amongst the players.

But one of the main reasons manager after manager keeps failing is that our recruitment of managers has also been poor. Not one of them had gone on to do anything particularly impressive afterwards.

You really think in a different environment the likes of Moyes, Ole and Ten Hag would have led other top teams to glory?

Our managers just haven’t been good enough and the club has repeatedly failed to recognise that quickly enough before moving on to the next one.

Obviously the club has been poorly run for a long time and the that has been reflected in our managerial appointments. The same people who made one bad decision after another regarding players, the club structure etc were also appointed if the managers.

Moyes, LVG, Jose, Ole, all of them had peaked, their careers were in decline yet we appointed all of them. None of them would have gone to other top teams in the Premier League and been successful at that stage of their careers.

ETH is the first one whose career was on an upward trajectory, it hasn’t worked but you just move on and bring in someone else. Managers had to be sacked for Pep, Klopp and Arteta to all be appointed and make huge progress with City, Liverpool and Arsenal. If we persist with ETH it will almost certainly just get worse and worse until he gets the boot anyway. We always wait to long to sack and I hope we have the sense to make sure that someone else is in charge after the next international break.

This the same really dim logic we have been hearing over the last year and during the latter stages of ole.

People talk like just giving a failing manager more time will eventually work out.

In reality there are many more examples of the opposite. Its not the days of fergie any more and he was very much a special manager which ten hag clearly isn't.

Arteta seems to be the commonly used comparison but for most of the time there was progress to show in terms of playing style even if that wasn't reflected in results. They also had a much smaller budget in his first years.

If villa had applied the same logic with Gerrard they would still be languishing in lower mid table

Truth is Arteta's won less than Ten Hag so far and might never win anything else. So he's not a great example at all.

I can never wrap my head around the ''let's give a manager 5 years because we haven't tried that'' argument. What happens if we get to the end of the 5 years, with no CL football for 4 of them, all our decent senior players aging out with any decent young ones having left and finding it hard to attract top young players because of no CL etc etc. Then what just give someone else 5 years and hope for the best to see if they workout?

2 years is a long enough period of time for a manager to be showing something, anything. Maybe not challenging for the title but at least having us playing some sort of decent football and ideally not having us playing like an amateur side that gets battered every other week. When Ten Hag was appoointed no one was talking about 5-6 year projects, it was pretty much unanimous he shoud be challenging for the title by years 3 or 4.

Obviously the club has been poorly run for a long time and the that has been reflected in our managerial appointments. The same people who made one bad decision after another regarding players, the club structure etc were also appointed if the managers.

Moyes, LVG, Jose, Ole, all of them had peaked, their careers were in decline yet we appointed all of them. None of them would have gone to other top teams in the Premier League and been successful at that stage of their careers.

ETH is the first one whose career was on an upward trajectory, it hasn’t worked but you just move on and bring in someone else. Managers had to be sacked for Pep, Klopp and Arteta to all be appointed and make huge progress with City, Liverpool and Arsenal. If we persist with ETH it will almost certainly just get worse and worse until he gets the boot anyway. We always wait to long to sack and I hope we have the sense to make sure that someone else is in charge after the next international break.

Agreed. And this is why it’s so frustrating that Ten Hag hasn’t been sacked already. It’s the perfect opportunity for Ineos to start drawing a line under the lowering of standards, but instead we’re going to see a dead manager sleep walking our team through the next couple games before they belatedly pull the trigger.

Ole was 45 or so when we hired him, Moyes barely over 50. They weren’t past their peak, they were just not very good and their prior track record before joining United did not indicate they would be suitable for the job (especially Ole who had been successful only at Molde - even the best managers in that sort of leagues don’t get to manage big teams under normal circumstances).

Agreed. And this is why it’s so frustrating that Ten Hag hasn’t been sacked already. It’s the perfect opportunity for Ineos to start drawing a line under the lowering of standards, but instead we’re going to see a dead manager sleep walking our team through the next couple games before they belatedly pull the trigger.
Maybe the decision makers don't support the club, right?

Not going to take any of your predictions seriously given the fact that you were arguing with other posters that we weren’t going to get humiliated by Spurs and would win if we kept our performances up.
We didnt keep our performances up and
Ruud is not managing at PSV or any other club why? I won’t take anyone seriously who thinks someone who didn't do well as a manager and is a current coach involved in our setup is going to turn things around.

There has to be a deeper reason why manager after manager keeps failing to inspire this team to play consistently.

ETH doesn’t sound like the guy who can connect emotionally to players and inspire each day, but some blame has to fall on players for literally giving up mid game and not showing fight.

Sack ETH but no guarantee any new manager will suddenly make us consistent. Just looking at these players on the pitch and their approach towards games just gives the vibe they are either not serious enough, or just dumb as a collective.

The vast majority of these players have only ever been managed by Ten Hag at United.

It just will be one of the biggest mysteries ever why any manager in last 10 years can’t make us play consistently to a certain level.

It isn't really a mystery at all, the club has been a shambles. Poor recruitment, average managers, managers with vastly different styles, giving managers too much say over transfers, they sell players that don't suit them and sign medicore players to replace them, taking too long to sack said average or past it managers. Rinse repeat.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5809797/2024/10/01/ten-hag-benni-mccarthy-manchester-united/

McCarthy is so full of shit. First of all Erik is definitely not at the top tactically, he has made ton of tactical problems during his tenure here, including the ones that were so obviously bad - most fans could see them, and it's shocking a top manager could not.

Also, Erik definitely has very little charism, if any, but professional football players should not require their manager to have charisma, to motivate them, for feck's sake. Lack of charisma is more of a problem with media and fans, players need coaching. if they need to be motivated they are in the wrong place anyway. Not to mention, they have Ruud with plenty of charisma, now, but that has not changed their shitty performances. Duh!

Charisma, personality, motivation are all huge factors. The best managers of all time don't just rely on tactics and coaching.

Unless of course said group of grown men, who know 99.9% more than most about what's going on behind the scenes don't think it's a truth at all.

It seems like we've reached the counter briefing stage of the managerial sacking process. Where the manager blames the players (which further affects performances) and the players blame the manager.

We didnt keep our performances up and
Ruud is not managing at PSV or any other club why? I won’t take anyone seriously who thinks someone he didnt do well as a manager and is a current coached involved in our setup is going to turn things around.

The weaknesses and holes even in those performances were plain for all to see. That’s why so many of us weren’t convinced that a decent 45 against a poor Palace where we still couldn’t score was the dawning of a new era. I’m still baffled how some of you lot couldn’t see it.

I have never claimed RvN will turn things around. I am making the point that failures on the level that Ten Hag has overseen are simply unacceptable, and that should be reflected in the immediate loss of his job. We’ve seen enough - there is nothing to be gained by limping on with lame duck manager.

If that means RvN as an interim, so be it. What’s the worst that could happen? Back to back humiliations at Old Trafford? Already been there with Ten Hag.

On the other hand, it’s not inconceivable that we might see a tiny new manager bounce under him. It’s not inconceivable that he might move us away from the suicidal tactics that we keep getting humiliated with under Ten Hag.

The weaknesses and holes even in those performances were plain for all to see. That’s why so many of us weren’t convinced that a decent 45 against a poor Palace where we still couldn’t score was the dawning of a new era. I’m still baffled how some of you lot couldn’t see it.

I have never claimed RvN will turn things around. I am making the point that failures on the level that Ten Hag has overseen are simply unacceptable, and that should be reflected in the immediate loss of his job. We’ve seen enough - there is nothing to be gained by limping on with lame duck manager.

If that means RvN as an interim, so be it. What’s the worst that could happen? Back to back humiliations at Old Trafford? Already been there with Ten Hag.

On the other hand, it’s not inconceivable that we might see a tiny new manager bounce under him. It’s not inconceivable that he might move us away from the suicidal tactics that we keep getting humiliated with under Ten Hag.
And so were the weaknesses in Spurs performances which is what I was pointing out if you bothered to read

You can do that from a position of strength and call players out. Not when you have one foot out of the door.

They're in a jam that we don't really have the money and yet we're rubbish and the only thing we really have to attract these amazing players you describe is crazy wages. Which, as we know, we're trying to get away from because we already pay too much.

Basically, Woodward and co fecked us for years to come

In your own insinuationif you don't want the manager sacked now and prefer to monitor until the internationals you aren't a supporter of the club.

Where did I say that?

Why do you always jump to these straw men?

I never said anything about anyone not being a supporter of the club.

I variously described a failure to sack Ten Hag now as either incompetence or dithering. I don’t see what can be gained from it, but I can see it doing further harm.

Wasn't his shouting in Dutch supposed to whip this squad into shape? :confused:

These thin skinned feckers probably can't wait to see the back of the whole coaching set up. They probably just want Ole back so he can be their mate again