Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm being honest, top 4 was par for this season - having had a £250m injection in the squash in the summer. A trophy is nice which is a net positive but I just hope to God he can improve us further next season and get us to play a much better brand of football with an element of control in most games.
Context, in the fact that a dozen players left the club including Pogha, mata, matic, lingard. Then losing Ronaldo too.

context, how does that work ?

when we play well you can see what he wants to do. Think the problem is still trying to use too much of the trash left over. Club needs to be absolutely ruthless this summer and back him. No more keeping average at best players who once in a while play decent.

Well, he definitely did better at home. He'll be a dad at 18 :lol:

What kind of procedure did he went hrough with his teeth? He went from filthy bum to hollywood teeth in a month.

mrW9ORS.jpg

We seem to have shored up the defence a bit.. but our goals scored is still crazy low. I think hes managed it really well considering, and hopefully if we can get a true, and less injury prone, number 9 in the summer then SURELY we can put in an even better campaign next year?

when we play well you can see what he wants to do. Think the problem is still trying to use too much of the trash left over. Club needs to be absolutely ruthless this summer and back him. No more keeping average at best players who once in a while play decent.
I also think with the number of games we have, he doesn't have time to do much more than prepare the players for the next game, as well as juggle injuries and suspensions. A lot of the possession based play he wants to embed, will come with training time, a more stable starting 11, and more of the right players in the squad. We'll see more of that next season.

Reactions: Theonas
It's a great video but there's a few times when Ten Hag is talking to his family and you can see them all looking and thinking "......que?"
Leaning forward with wide eyes trying their best but ultimately understanding absolutely feck all

At the start of the season, we hadn't spent £250m.

Come off it. Top 4 was par for the season, but we were all expecting a bogey. ETH has done well.

Agree we need to improve next season, but can we try not to downplay what ETH has done this season.

considering we've not had a striker all season, this is impressive:

77bd934e86a3ec6faf7ac39161862df27ca776a9.jpg

League goals scored to total goals scored ratio:
- City: 87 league goals / 134 total = ~65% (2.64 league goals per game)
- Bayern: 81 / 123 = 66% (2.7)
- Real: 69 / 118 = ~58.5% (2.09)
- PSG: 76 / 107 = 71% (2.3)
- United: 49 / 98 = 50% (1.5)

That's really not impressive at all, it's heavily skewed and does United a massive favor in terms of narrative...which is kind of nice, but glaring opportunity and important need. League is where it's about.

League goals scored to total goals scored ratio:
- City: 87 league goals / 134 total = ~65% (2.64 league goals per game)
- Bayern: 81 / 123 = 66% (2.7)
- Real: 69 / 118 = ~58.5% (2.09)
- PSG: 76 / 107 = 71% (2.3)
- United: 49 / 98 = 50% (1.5)

That's really not impressive at all, it's heavily skewed and does United a massive favor in terms of narrative...which is kind of nice, but glaring opportunity and important need. League is where it's about.

I mean, it's not as if they counted our goals in all comps and only counted league goals for the other teams. In the overall balance of things, it is impressive because we don't only play in the league during a season.

I mean, it's not as if they counted our goals in all comps and only counted league goals for the other teams. In the overall balance of things, it is impressive because we don't only play in the league during a season.

The other clubs on that list have scored majority or super majority of their goals in the league. City first place. Bayern first. Real second. PSG first. United 4th.

United's goals per game in the league ratio is not good enough, not even close to title challenging.

There aren't enough goals in the team, which is a totally fair assessment which not only contradicts this table, but skews the narrative completely.

United have the most clean sheets in the league so far and that's a real testament to EtH and his coaching staff's development off the ball and the overall shape and responsibilities/accountability he's demanded from the team, all while trying to find solutions to scoring enough goals.

Don't know where you got this from but that City side finished 4th the season before he took over.
Kompany, Zabaleta, Sagna, Navas, Clincy, Fernandinho, Silva, Aguero, and more names in that squad were title winner together in the same City squad and some of them won it under two different managers together.

The other clubs on that list have scored majority or super majority of their goals in the league. City first place. Bayern first. Real second. PSG first. United 4th.

United's goals per game in the league ratio is not good enough, not even close to title challenging.

There aren't enough goals in the team, which is a totally fair assessment which not only contradicts this table, but skews the narrative completely.

United have the most clean sheets in the league so far and that's a real testament to EtH and his coaching staff's development off the ball and the overall shape and responsibilities/accountability he's demanded from the team, all while trying to find solutions to scoring enough goals.

Bro, what are you doing right now? At which point did I add qualifiers like "goals in the league" or "close to title challenging"?

I posted a table that shows most goals scored this season by teams in europe's major leagues, and said I find it impressive considering we've not had a striker all season - you came out of nowhere trying to tell me it's not impressive and arguing against positions that were never taken. Does that sound OK to you? Is this how you have conversations in real life?

Pep's number is shockingly bad considering he inherited a PL winning squad.
He inherited a strong team, with PL winning experience, but not necessarily a ready title challenging team.

It believes this record counts cup competitions. So it's not that bad because they had 23 win the league. Right now we needs 4 more out of the last 6 to matched. They were in CL, had Barcelona in their group. Eliminated in first KO round by Monaco. Eliminated in the league cup by our Mourinho team. Bowed out in FA semi final to Wenger Arsenal.

We did well with the opposition in front of us, but arguably being in EL does help inflate a few extra win here. Our League Cup and FA Cup clearly put us in better position than Pep's trophyless first season. Mourinho's desire to win those small trophies, and Wenger Arsenal having a knack of winning FA Cup stopped Pep hitting the ground running intially. Can't complain here.

Bro, what are you doing right now? At which point did I add qualifiers like "goals in the league" or "close to title challenging"?

I posted a table that shows most goals scored this season by teams in europe's major leagues, and said I find it impressive considering we've not had a striker all season - you came out of nowhere trying to tell me it's not impressive and arguing against positions that were never taken. Does that sound OK to you? Is this how you have conversations in real life?

Christ on a bike you got unhinged. People saw the same table as you and I'm contextualizing it in an EtH thread.

Sorry if you felt I was attacking you, ffs.

Christ on a bike you got unhinged. People saw the same table as you and I'm contextualizing it in an EtH thread.

Sorry if you felt I was attacking you, ffs.

:confused: I posted a table and said I found it impressive. You spent like 2 or 3 posts trying to tell me it wasn't impressive - and I'm the unhinged one? 'kin hell.

let's not derail the thread any further. I'll remain impressed by the number of goals we've scored this season - and you'll remain unimpressed with the number of goals we scored in the league. Please proceed.

His quotes in the pre match presser about not knowing what money is gonna be available suggest he is getting impatient with the ownership situation and don't blame him at all

Love his standards, love the lack of excuses for poor performances, love how he's always mentioning the need to improve after every victory. No standing still. Hope he gets maximum backing to give him the best chance.

I just saw him give a bottle of wine to Paul Ince after he complained about a lack of respect after the Reading game. The fact he did that, sums up him. An absolute gentleman.

Love his standards, love the lack of excuses for poor performances, love how he's always mentioning the need to improve after every victory. No standing still. Hope he gets maximum backing to give him the best chance.

I just saw him give a bottle of wine to Paul Ince after he complained about a lack of respect after the Reading game. The fact he did that, sums up him. An absolute gentleman.

He is such a class act, and from a complete neutral I hope he does well. Some of my friends who support other teams dislike Utd but think ten Hag is a likeable manager.

It was a classy touch with the bottle of wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.