Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
We play really bad football at least 50% of the time. We can never play well for more than one half

Eriksen needs minutes and Bruno was suspended for next week. Martial obviously needs to be managed. The only question I have is why no Fred but he seems to have been on the naughty step past few games.
Martial i understand, but to bring on wout, elanga and pelestri is a bit much imo. We had absolute no control of the match after that, after already taking our foot off the gas second half to I assume conserve energy because everyone is fecked

First half was very good but management of 2nd half was a disgrace. We let them get into the game and surrendered completely. Ridiculous way of management.

Anyway thank God there's no more away games rule. We're still in this. Score one goal there and things will swing in our favor again.

Subs made sense to me…

Martial wasn’t in the game
Bruno was on a yellow and he wanted to give Erikson 30 mins
Sancho was poor
Antony was at risk of a red
Varane injured

blame EtH all you want but Sevilla just got lucky.

Anyway thank God there's no more away games rule. We're still in this. Score one goal there and things will swing in our favor again.

Good luck without Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Rashford and Bruno. It's pretty much over.

Imo with 5 subs you should never use them all with 10 minutes + extra time. Martinez injury completely fecked us over. Not only did we have to play with 10 men, but we also couldn’t put Lindelöf in.

If we had that one sub we could maybe have held out…

If we won 3 or 4 tonight we could have rested players properly in the return leg.

Now we gotta go over there and slug it out for another 90. I just don't get it.

It’s easy to blame him, but he didn’t have a choice with Varane. Martial was always going to come off early and Sancho was shockingly bad.

Antony hit the post and we missed a few good chances. Sevilla barely had a chance despite getting better through the second half, then two own goals and a freak injury just after the 5th sub.

I seriously doubt he’s told the players to stop playing after half hour and two goals. They have to take the responsibility for that.

People talk about subs, but what about the actual plan to play in the second half when you have to sub?

I saw none of it in this game, and usually he does not have one. I thought he was doing better for a few games after the World Cup but went back to toothless in the second half with his tactics, substitutions, or lack thereof.

I still back him but I'm not going to pretend I don't have any doubts about him. Without Casemiro, this guy wouldn't be rated as highly as he is.

Hope the people at the weekend who slagged off ETH for keeping Rashford on at 2-0 at the weekend understand why he did now.

and it should be, how does it make sense to not try and kill off the game now so you can rest players in the 2nd leg?
Other than Bruno, who would you realistically have kept on?

1 hour of Martial in every game going forward is more useful than seeing Weghorst start and finish every game.

Antony was pissing about so needed saving from himself.

Sancho without Martial is like a draw full of condoms and no girlfriend.

We got sucker punched by freak moments.

I don't blame ETH for any of the subs. They all made sense. This was very bad luck. Should have been like 5-0 up. Finishing and making the wrong choices in the final third let us down.

Subs made sense to me…

Martial wasn’t in the game
Bruno was on a yellow and he wanted to give Erikson 30 mins
Sancho was poor
Antony was at risk of a red
Varane injured

blame EtH all you want but Sevilla just got lucky.

There's no luck in football, you leave your better players in the game, you can attack more and they become less of a threat. The subs didn't give much. How people don't see this is beyond me - subs gave Seville more confidence.

Bad night for ETH, game management fell apart. One he will want to forget.

Other than Bruno, who would you realistically have kept on?

1 hour of Martial in every game going forward is more useful than seeing Weghorst start and finish every game.

Antony was pissing about so needed saving from himself.

Sancho without Martial is like a draw full of condoms and no girlfriend.

We got sucker punched by freak moments.
I'd have trickled the subs in, not changed nearly a whole attacking line up all at once so early on. That is better management. I only see those huge sub changes when you're really comfortable 4-0, 5-0 up. It's just ridiculous

I don't blame him for Martial or Bruno sub. Martial is made of glass and Eriksen can do the job Bruno did in this game. But Elanga should not be coming on. He just doesn't have the quality. A wrong sided Pellistri would offer more. The rest of the capitulation is on the players.

Damn that's very unlucky tbh. What a shit season's turned out to be
We could still get into the semis here.

We’re in the semi final of the FA Cup.

We’ve won the League Cup.

We’re in the top four, 3 points ahead of Spurs with a game in hand.

Perspective needed here.

Had a bit of a shocker with the subs it has to be said.

Problem is if he keeps them in there is a risk of injury and if he makes changes the likes of Elanga etc aren’t good enough

We could still get into the semis here.

We’re in the semi final of the FA Cup.

We’ve won the League Cup.

We’re in the top four, 3 points ahead of Spurs with a game in hand.

Perspective needed here.

True but we’re doing feck all without Rashford, Martinez, Varane and Shaw we just don’t have the squad to replace them

This is it for me. The intensity is not the same in both halves.

The only way that would be possible is if we never had any intensity - our squad is paper thin, even before the injuries that are piling up, and so the players are exhausted.

I don't blame him for Martial or Bruno sub. Martial is made of glass and Eriksen can do the job Bruno did in this game. But Elanga should not be coming on. He just doesn't have the quality. A wrong sided Pellistri would offer more. The rest of the capitulation is on the players.
Elanga came on because Sancho was playing like ass. We don't have other options. If you leave a player on that's playing horribly, people would complain about that as well.

There's no luck in football, you leave your better players in the game, you can attack more and they become less of a threat. The subs didn't give much. How people don't see this is beyond me - subs gave Seville more confidence.

both of their goals had huge slices of luck.

Problem is if he keeps them in there is a risk of injury and if he makes changes the likes of Elanga etc aren’t good enough

I agree. I don't actually blame him for the changes. He knows we have a lot of matches ahead and he's trying to balance keeping players fit and getting results. We would have gotten away with it had Malacia not gone to sleep.

Enough talk about the subs, but what the hell is going on at half time. Brentford, Everton and now Sevilla. We look good in the first half and then the same team comes out and gets completely outplayed by the team they just dominated. What kind of mentality does this team have where we just think we can coast in the second half.

Everton were never in the game at all. There is a difference.

I mean, I hope for my sanity's sake that our manager can actually read the flow of a football game to decide his subs. I'm starting to worry a little. I've watched the absolute best game reader in the world do his thing for 20 years, and when I compare ten Hag there is a gulf I must say.

Not everything can be done using the coaching textbook.

I'd have trickled the subs in, not changed nearly a whole attacking line up all at once so early on. That is better management. I only see those huge sub changes when you're really comfortable 4-0, 5-0 up. It's just ridiculous
It's such a speculative take. Sevilla had grown into the game with our best players on anyway.

They might have scored cleaner goals...who knows

He’s been crucified on here when it comes to leaving players on too long, and he gets the same treatment when he makes earlier subs.
I honestly don’t think Ten Hag can win with certain groups of the fan base, he’s in the wrong no matter what he does.

Elanga came on because Sancho was playing like ass. We don't have other options. If you leave a player on that's playing horribly, people would complain about that as well.
Like I said, Pellistri on the wrong side would offer more. I've got no issue with Sancho going off, just who replaced him. Elanga is too poor technically.

Status
Not open for further replies.