Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Loads of people feeling sorry for him taking one of the biggest jobs in football. Can't imagine the reaction here in 1986.

The man believes in himself and that the club can be turned around. I fear for him only in respect of what he has in the dressing room, but I hope he can spot the charlatans pretty quickly and Noa Lang their arse out the door. Have the ego and support to believe there's no-one bigger than him.
I agree with need someone with the belief they can turn things around in order to actually turn things around.

All our managers since Fergie has had the final say on player signings, it’s been a large part of the problem.
But the hierarchy hired the managers. We had the chances to hire the right ones but didn't.
Mourinho wanted players and was refused.
LvG wanted players and was refused.
We just can't keep blaming the manager every time. What other top club would hire an Interim manager at a time when we needed a top manager. Rangnick was also refused a striker and Kamara for midfield back in January. It's ridiculous what's going on.

And ten Hag will also have a say, but another part of the problem was the tired recruitment set-up, which has already started to change.

Reqruitment setup has needed improvement for quite some time, but people fail to accept that this problem started under Ferguson.

With the amount of players leaving due to their contracts, it’s unlikely we’ll see a mass exit in terms of selling players

Agree, we will already have a large amount of players going, and personally I can't see any point in us trying to sign too many players too quickly, it just so unlikely to work, so maybe 3-4 in, and get players like Martial, DVB, and Garner back at the club for now.

The only players I can see going for any sort of fee are Henderson or AWB.

But the hierarchy hired the managers. We had the chances to hire the right ones but didn't.
Mourinho wanted players and was refused.
LvG wanted players and was refused.
We just can't keep blaming the manager every time. What other top club would hire an Interim manager at a time when we needed a top manager. Rangnick was also refused a striker and Kamara for midfield back in January. It's ridiculous what's going on.

Pep wanted players and was refused, Klopp had other preferencies than Salah. Managers are always refused players, it’s nothing new. It’s a coincidence that the timing aligned perfectly for Klopp taking over Liverpool.

A combination of those leaving and who we need to sell:

DDG / Henderson depending on who ETH wants as no.1
Grant: Leaving, replace with Johnstone on a free?

AWB: sell if decent offer comes in - replace with Laird?
Jones
Bailly
Maguire (if ETH wanted a replacement)
Tuanzebe - replace with Mengi?
Telles - replace with Fernandez?

Matic leaving - replace with Garner?
Mata leaving - replace with Hannibal?
Pogba leaving
Fred / Mct: if anyone made a decent offer I’d let one of them go
VDB: depending on if ETH wants him
Pereira

Cavani leaving
Lingard leaving - replace with Garnacho?
Martial if anyone offers decent money
Chong to sell
In the Football Manager world I’d also let Tashford go if the right offer came in.

So there’s 18.
Replace 6 with academy players

Priority positions to buy;
ST / RW / CM x2 / CB / FB (pick your side)
I was jumped on when I mentioned this before, but looks increasingly likely that we are going to have a clearout over the next 2/3 windows with the biggest one being this summer.

Pep wanted players and was refused, Klopp had other preferencies than Salah. Managers are always refused players, it’s nothing new. It’s a coincidence that the timing aligned perfectly for Klopp taking over Liverpool.
There is always excuses to blame the manager also. I do think that Pep mostly gets what he wants.

There's a big difference between the manager having final say in transfers (as in no player gets signed unless the manager green lights it) and the manager having full control over both incomings and outgoings.

No manager in a current elite side has the latter. Not Pep, not Klopp, not Tuchel, nobody. If they want a player but their extended recruitment set up is against it, they can be overruled. Because allowing the manager to buy and sell whoever he wants without safeguards would be a ludicrous way to run a modern football club. We need to operate as per best practice in 2022, not as per best practice in 1986 when SAF was hired.

There's a big difference between the manager having final say in transfers (as in no player gets signed unless the manager green lights it) and the manager having full control over both incomings and outgoings.

No manager in a current elite side has the latter. Not Pep, not Klopp, not Tuchel, nobody. If they want a player but their extended recruitment set up is against it, they can be overruled. Because allowing the manager to buy and sell whoever he wants without safeguards would be a ludicrous way to run a modern football club. We need to operate as per best practice in 2022, not as per best practice in 1986 when SAF was hired.

Yup.

We should have modernized towards the end of Fergies reign, should’ve done it after, didn’t. If it works don’t fix it, Kodak etc.

Most top clubs scouting recruitment usually check on a managers request of a player and will scout him for a time and report back. But usually the manager will be right. Pep changed his full backs like changing his stockings in 2/3 years. If these players were scouted then it did not take long to get them signed up.
Yes, money talks sometimes, but we had 70 scouts one time in the last 5 years, and couldn't find a top midfielder.

What? And play Lindo and what's his face in CB! I'd rather make do with AWB and Dalot, and not sign a RB till January.
Nah the fullbacks are a much bigger issue. Varane, Maguire and Lindelof are all good players. De Gea is a massive hindrance behind them too because he’s rooted to his line. CB would probably be bottom of my list.

With what is going on in our club for the last 10 years, we will get no one to manage this club without this authority. Fergie had the final say on players and won us 13 premier leagues and countless other trophies. We need to start thinking the same way now.
We literally have continued to think this way. It’s incredibly old fashioned and unless you land on a brilliant manager it leaves you lost. Klopp and Pep do not get this freedom btw!

A combination of those leaving and who we need to sell:

DDG / Henderson depending on who ETH wants as no.1
Grant: Leaving, replace with Johnstone on a free?

AWB: sell if decent offer comes in - replace with Laird?
Jones
Bailly
Maguire (if ETH wanted a replacement)
Tuanzebe - replace with Mengi?
Telles - replace with Fernandez?

Matic leaving - replace with Garner?
Mata leaving - replace with Hannibal?
Pogba leaving
Fred / Mct: if anyone made a decent offer I’d let one of them go
VDB: depending on if ETH wants him
Pereira

Cavani leaving
Lingard leaving - replace with Garnacho?
Martial if anyone offers decent money
Chong to sell
In the Football Manager world I’d also let Tashford go if the right offer came in.

So there’s 18.
Replace 6 with academy players

Priority positions to buy;
ST / RW / CM x2 / CB / FB (pick your side)
While I don’t think you’re wrong, there’s absolutely no way he gets rid of all those players at once. Maguire, Rashford, Fred, McTominay will all get a fair chance.

Feel sorry for him because he's gonna waste 3-4 years of his career trying to fix a decade old mess that won't be fixed until the greedy owners that use the club as an investment and not a football club feck off

Looking forward to the idiot glazers not backing him at all this summer because we missed europe and tell him transfers in are contingent on transfers out. Which we are the worst club at getting rid of deadwood.

They'll back him, just like they backed all the other managers post Fergie? What makes you think they'll change now?

He wouldn't have taken the job without assurances on that front.

We literally have continued to think this way. It’s incredibly old fashioned and unless you land on a brilliant manager it leaves you lost. Klopp and Pep do not get this freedom btw!
I am talking about FINAL say not freedom. When I say total control of incomings I mean FINAL say.

Most top clubs scouting recruitment usually check on a managers request of a player and will scout him for a time and report back. But usually the manager will be right. Pep changed his full backs like changing his stockings in 2/3 years. If these players were scouted then it did not take long to get them signed up.
Yes, money talks sometimes, but we had 70 scouts one time in the last 5 years, and couldn't find a top midfielder.

They seriously don’t. There are very, very, few big talents that are unknown to top clubs, most of the time we scout the same players as everyone else. Managers these days don‘t spend time advising scouts on players they should look at, especially not at the highest level. Managers will always have a preference for certain players they want to sign, but it’s very rarely at that level. The entire point is having a functioning setup that means the club will find the correct players for the manager, not having a manager that finds the correct players to scout.

There’s no way in the world it will be possible to a) identify and b) sign the talent needed in order to seriously challenge before the start of next season. The fans have to be patient.
Should get top four though. Its Arsenal and Tottenham for God sake. It's not Liverpool or Manchester City. I am not expecting trophies. The aim should be to get champions league football.

They seriously don’t. There are very, very, few big talents that are unknown to top clubs, most of the time we scout the same players as everyone else. Managers these days don‘t spend time advising scouts on players they should look at, especially not at the highest level. Managers will always have a preference for certain players they want to sign, but it’s very rarely at that level. The entire point is having a functioning setup that means the club will find the correct players for the manager, not having a manager that finds the correct players to scout.
I am not going to keep arguing with you if you are going to find loopholes just to keep up the argument, I don't have the time. I will finish by saying Fergie always had his trusted scouts who would scout the players he asked of them to scout and report back to him.
Read his books and check out his scouts for all the time he was there.

I am talking about FINAL say not freedom. When I say total control of incomings I mean FINAL say.
Again that’s a privilege we have afforded all our other managers and it’s put us into the hole we are in now. They should get a day, but final say should be the DOF.

Feel for him, he should stayed at Ajax and held out for a proper club in Germany or waited for City. He can't fix this mess and the Glazers won't give him the correct power to even attempt it.
Hate the Glazers but they ain't selling up anytime soon unfortunately. Stuck with them.

Again that’s a privilege we have afforded all our other managers and it’s put us into the hole we are in now. They should get a day, but final say should be the DOF.
Woodward for the last 10years. His negotiations lost us many players that the managers wanted.

I am not going to keep arguing with you if you are going to find loopholes just to keep up the argument, I don't have the time. I will finish by saying Fergie always had his trusted scouts who would scout the players he asked of them to scout and report back to him.
Read his books and check out his scouts for all the time he was there.

……and there used to be a time when women were expected to stay at home with the children rather than work. Fergie was Fergie, looking for one unique managers that can run everything on their own is not the solution, there’s a reason clubs have completely moved on from this.

I keep saying it Celtic won 9 leagues in a row in Scotland, the team got old and stale together, A new ,amager came in and tore it all up. By January there were 9 new starters in the first team. End result Celtic crowned champions today.
Let ETH tear it up. Why is anyone suggesting Maguire as a starter? He's miles too slow. Ship out Jones, Bailly and if anyone offers 40m + Maguire. Bring in a centre half with pace. Shaw has a lot to do to justify his place in the squad as well.
Quality midfielders are essential, lets get Frenkie De Jong.

Don't disagree with you. If we can get 40m for Maguire then off with him. The budget is not unlimited however and ETH is going to have to make do with a combo of working with what he has and bringing in maybe new 5 players.

Unfortunately I don't think we will see anymore than that, my point is that that would be ok for the moment if he can also get the likes of Maguire and Shaw back to form.

Reactions: Cheimoon
Feel for him, he should stayed at Ajax and held out for a proper club in Germany or waited for City. He can't fix this mess and the Glazers won't give him the correct power to even attempt it.

What exactly is correct power? Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and Ole were pretty much given the same power Fergie had

……and there used to be a time when women were expected to stay at home with the children rather than work. Fergie was Fergie, looking for one unique managers that can run everything on their own is not the solution, there’s a reason clubs have completely moved on from this.
Give up man your scraping the barrel now.

Which top clubs these days are operating like we used to do under Fergie? The vast majority of the fanbase is desperate for us to move further away from it.
You must be leading that small fanbase, mate. That's it now your making me go to the pub.

I don't think recruitment needs to be complicated. Fergie did what worked for him and the club at that time, but that era is long gone and there isn't another Fergie. What we've been doing since then hasn't been working, therefore we change it. How do we change it? Well there are numerous elite clubs that manage to operate successfully with a tried and true model. We find the right personnel and we emulate what the others are doing.

He hasn’t really signed anyone the manager hasn’t asked for though.

I would have to question that. I doubt Ole asked for Ronaldo, I think that was all Fergie, didn't Fergie phone him to ask him to come back, I reckon that was Fergie just assuming that that Ole wanted him which I'm not sure about.

That was our most recent signing, Mata, one of the first signings under Woodward, was that Moyes or Woodwards choice I wonder.

Whatever about the above, he has certainly not signed players the manager asked for.

Watching the shit show that was yesterday, the one thing he needs to get right is the coaching set up. We can go on about signing this player or that player but if he lumbered with the most of what we have now I fear he is doomed.

I would have to question that. I doubt Ole asked for Ronaldo, I think that was all Fergie, didn't Fergie phone him to ask him to come back, I reckon that was Fergie just assuming that that Ole wanted him which I'm not sure about.

That was our most recent signing, Mata, one of the first signings under Woodward, was that Moyes or Woodwards choice I wonder.

Whatever about the above, he has certainly not signed players the manager asked for.

Klopp didn’t ask for Salah.
Fergie was heavily involved in bringing Ronaldo back, same with Mata to Manchester United when he got personally involved in talking to various Chelsea leaders to organize the transfer, doesn’t mean that Ole was against bringing Ronaldo to United or that Moyes was against Mata

Disagree. Of course Ole would have wanted Ronaldo, mad to suggest otherwise.

Mata was close to a decade ago and even then Moyes would clearly have signed off on his signing.

I see very little evidence that every player we have signed wasn’t signed off by the manager at the time, there is very very little evidence to suggest otherwise.

What exactly is correct power? Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and Ole were pretty much given the same power Fergie had

Aye. If anything what they've lacked is the correct support, not the correct power.

They should have best in class recruitment identifying talent for them and best in class negotiators securing it. Their role in the process should be to highlight areas of the team they feel are weak, highlight players they'd be happy to let go and green light targets presented to them by the recuitment team.

Instead they've had "final say" over a recruitment process that that was ill-structured and unfit for purpose in identifying players, securing preferred targets or being able to check the manager from making bad signings. It should never have been left to them to try and make that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.