Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
What game were you watching? McT was solid defensively today. Some people just want to hate players for the sake of it
He can tackle 24/7 but we cannot control the game with him. But keep writing juvenile nonsense

I gotta admit, I have some gripe with his substitutions and team selection. Keeping Elanga for so long, Rashford as CF, taking Sancho off who was our only real threat. It's a good win but goddamn this stuff is infuriating.

Did what he needed to do even if it goes against his principles. That's what makes him great. We desperately need results and he's getting them.

What game were you watching? McT was solid defensively today. Some people just want to hate players for the sake of it
His passing was mediocre as usual, that's the point. Casemiro will likely play more passes while having a higher rate of successful ones.

What game were you watching…the guy gave the ball away needlessly gave away needless free kicks and won very few battles. He was abysmal. Never mind how little he offered in possession and showing for the ball. Him, Elanga and Rashford out. Casemiro needs to come in obviously but god knows who can replace the other two.

Important win to build up the confidence of the team which is probably what matters the most now.

But that was a shit performance and parking the bus and holding our lives for a 1-0 win is the last thing I expected him to do.

For a one off it's fine but this repeats again, then nothing is going to change. We need to build a team who can actually control the ball, not shitting themselves and parking the bus on a 1-0 lead.

Actually I think it's 'impressive' ETH is recognising our liability and trying to play it pragmatically.

It would be suicidal with our past season and this squad of players to continue playing expansively.

It will change but perhaps a lot more slower and progressively as we hope, which let's be honest is to expect him to transform our playing style within a year. It will take longer.

What game were you watching…the guy gave the ball away needlessly gave away needless free kicks and won very few battles. He was abysmal. Never mind how little he offered in possession and showing for the ball. Him, Elanga and Rashford out. Casemiro needs to come in obviously but god knows who can replace the other two.

He was solid defensively! How many times did he win the ball infront of goal? Granted he can’t pass for shit but you can’t criticise him today. Some people just want to pick on certain players.

Team is poor no doubt, also possibly low on morale. They need such fighting wins for confidence boost.

ETH has enormous job on his hand.

I would take any win at this point for now.

But I have to say that not being able to or try to retain the ball more in the second half with that many midfielders was a bit weird.

Important win to build up the confidence of the team which is probably what matters the most now.

But that was a shit performance and parking the bus and holding our lives for a 1-0 win is the last thing I expected him to do.

For a one off it's fine but this repeats again, then nothing is going to change. We need to build a team who can actually control the ball, not shitting themselves and parking the bus on a 1-0 lead.
Bit harsh when this is a side who shits itself at 0-0.
It’s only really City who controls games away from home, even Liverpool tend to sit back and hit in the break after taking a lead.
We aren’t really in a position where we have many options. We’re about a season or two away from controlling games away from home in the EPL

I think we are taking a leaf out of Liverpool away from home, at least for now. When liverpool take the lead away from home they tend then to rely on the counter to score another. Although i would prefer just to kill the game by retaining the ball.

2nd half were very Ole-esque.
Even if we can't attack, team should be able to do basic right. This team can't even hold the ball.

I'd take LvG's "passing the ball aimlessly" around the park over smashing it right into oppo team every time.

He’s pragmatic and that’s a good thing. Both he and this team need points on the board and the football will come provided we back him in the coming days.

You not going to give the manager time till he gets the team he wants? What's the rush?

Do you actually watch other teams or you think Liverpool, City, Chelsea stroll every match through 90 mins and their opponent don't even touch the ball? We have been shit away from home for like 8 games straight, we come out away at Southampton with a good win and you complain. Let the team build itself slowly but surely. Maguire, Ronaldo and Shaw out

You not going to give the manager time till he gets the team he wants? What's the rush?

Do you actually watch other teams or you think Liverpool, City, Chelsea stroll every match through 90 mins and their opponent don't even touch the ball? We have been shit away from home for like 8 games straight, we come out away at Southampton with a good win and you complain. Let the team build itself slowly but surely. Maguire, Ronaldo and Shaw out

I'm fine to complain as much as I want as long as it's something I think is wrong and as long as it's by the rules.

:lol:

Exactly defensively he was solid you just want to hate because youre just a bitter poster always have been
Are you actually capable of putting across a point that is not limited to a 5-year-old's idea of an insult? My word, some of the posters on this forum are clearly from the Trump school of discussion.

As for McTominay, as I said, he's good because we were defending desperately and running around like headless chickens. If we keep persisting with him, we'd be done as a squad with this intensive season because you cannot be chasing the game twice a week.

This whole point is not about 1 or 2 games. The result is key now but overall, we'd need to improve and unless we buy someone to step into that midfield, we'd be screwed come Christmas.

Somewhat slow when it comes in game managment.

Even my cat was calling for much needed subs when Southampton had 80% of possession.

He can tackle 24/7 but we cannot control the game with him. But keep writing juvenile nonsense

A defensive midfielder does not need to control the game, that is the job of the 2 CMs beside him which were Bruno and Eriksen. The problem is that both Bruno and Eriksen were not good with their tackling and were also quite poor with possession, though Eriksen was slightly better. Unfortunately it was too much of a burden on McTominay, causing the lopsided midfield battle.

All his signings have been good for Martinez, Malacia has made the defence stronger and Eriksen is giving us that passing range.

His subs today were 10 mins delayed than they should have been.

A bit of a Mourinhoesque performance, but I'll take the three points without complaints. I am already prepared for the tough season ahead of us.

A defensive midfielder does not need to control the game, that is the job of the 2 CMs beside him which were Bruno and Eriksen. The problem is that both Bruno and Eriksen were not good with their tackling and were also quite poor with possession, though Eriksen was slightly better. Unfortunately it was too much of a burden on McTominay, causing the lopsided midfield battle.
This is a good point but I still partially disagree. Carrick is deemed our best defensive midfielder of the past 20 years and he was no tackler - he could position himself and make great passes.

I am actually surprised we're playing with Eriksen and Bruno because, as you said, they're nowhere near my idea of a controlling pair. I think we need to play one or the other with Fred and Casemiro.

2nd half were very Ole-esque.
Even if we can't attack, team should be able to do basic right. This team can't even hold the ball.

I'd take LvG's "passing the ball aimlessly" around the park over smashing it right into oppo team every time.

Its nothing to do with his tactics, its more to do with him playing a makeshift midfield. Bruno and Eriksen are AMs but due to the current balance of our midfield, those 2 are playing CMs. With Casemiro in, we might get Fred to come in as a CM which gives better balance.

I don't mind ugly win. I am only worried that we stopped playing after the goal. I am expecting from him that we will be the one who keep the ball most of the game. But it will vome slowly, i guess

He is being pragmatic.

He saw we were not ready to play his style of play in the first 2 games.

He has changed things up and got 2 wins including ending our losing streak away from home. He has also signed Casimero and Martinez who should help form the base of a team who play a more progressive style.

It is still early days and I can understand most of what he has done so far.

If we keep playing this low-possession style, we'll be gassed by October.

That's why players like McTominay need to be removed because we cannot keep the ball with this guy.
Another manager who will fall of a cliff becasue he trusts League one standard midfielder who is exactly the opposite what he wants but will do it nevertheless because I don't know what he shows during training. He was even half the player than Fred in the preseason, and totally shambolic last season, yet he gets a spot in the starting line up and proves game after game he's not good enough.

Super annoying already from ETH to insist on playing him ahead of actual footballers

Another manager who will fall of a cliff becasue he trusts League one standard midfielder who is exactly the opposite what he wants but will do it nevertheless because I don't know what he shows during training. He was even half the player than Fred in the preseason, and totally shambolic last season, yet he gets a spot in the starting line up and proves game after game he's not good enough.

Super annoying already from ETH to insist on playing him ahead of actual footballers
Talk about hyperbole :lol::wenger:

His passing was mediocre as usual, that's the point. Casemiro will likely play more passes while having a higher rate of successful ones.

No likely. Absolutely will. Casemiro is like Xavi/Scholes compared to McT.

That will take time and players. Can't happen with McT, will see improvement with Casemiro. Will still need another CM beside him. Also need a striker who can hold the ball up and play with others. Without those additions we won't control possession any time soon. In the meanwhile he is working on making us defensively resolute.

This is a good point but I still partially disagree. Carrick is deemed our best defensive midfielder of the past 20 years and he was no tackler - he could position himself and make great passes.

I am actually surprised we're playing with Eriksen and Bruno because, as you said, they're nowhere near my idea of a controlling pair. I think we need to play one or the other with Fred and Casemiro.

You are right to say that Carrick was our best defensive midfielder, but Carrick played more as a CM with Scholes as his pair in a 4-4-2. During defence, Scholes tended to go further in front while Carrick went deeper, creating a diamond shape. Once they recovered possession, both of them were central to controlling the possession and forwarding it. As a defensive midfielder, you don't really need to make good forward passes, just simple ones to the CMs or the wingers/fullbacks is sufficient. Having said that, i felt McTominay made some good forward passes in the game. Shame that our attackers made bad decisions with the ball.

Regarding Eriksen and Bruno, probably ETH is using them since they are willing to press deep and attack once the ball has been recovered as compared to the other midfield options. Like you said, Fred, Casemiro and either one of them will have more balance.

Spent quite some time on the back foot but other than a couple of chances that were caused by correctable defensive errors I thought we did a great job of closing down spaces and not allowing easy chances.

This is only the 4th competitive game and this isn’t an easy system to pick up, and because we’ve only had one transfer window, there will be players that are a poor fit on the pitch and we have to make the best of it for now. The back 4 only had one game together before this and it’ll take them a little more time to build chemistry.

There have been glimpses in the last two matches of what the future might hold but it was never going to happen overnight. The fact that ETH has restored some unity and on the pitch is the most important thing right now and not to be taken for granted because there’s no foundation to build upon without that.

Casemiro will come in for McTominay next week.

We're seeing good stuff in flashes but we lack control.

We need another midfielder in place of one of Bruno/Eriksen or we'll struggle to get control. That should be the priority

I'd personally like to see Eriksen on the right, with Casemiro, Bruno, +1

Status
Not open for further replies.