Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think about his English so far? I think he understands it very well, and can get his point across, but sometimes I feel that he can't fully express himself. I watched a couple of press conferences for him in Dutch which I don't understand, but he seemed much more confident.

What do our Dutch residents think? Is there much of a difference in how he speaks in Dutch vs English?

His English is fine in my opinion, far better than LvG!

Its interesting to see how people’s patience with new managers is waning with every failed appointment, especially as each failure makes it harder for the next guy to come in and succeed immediately.
Posters who are immediately on EtH’s back should take a step back and reflect if their own frustrations and baggage are leading them to have unrealistic expectations. Judging a manager on a solitary transfer is laughable and is borne out of years of ineptitude and money being squandered.

Its interesting to see how people’s patience with new managers is waning with every failed appointment, especially as each failure makes it harder for the next guy to come in and succeed immediately.
Posters who are immediately on EtH’s back should take a step back and reflect if their own frustrations and baggage are leading them to have unrealistic expectations. Judging a manager on a solitary transfer is laughable and is borne out of years of ineptitude and money being squandered.
Negative feedback is more commonly expressed than positive feedback. Even with things like a restaurant or a hotel, if you have a bad experience you're more inclined to post something on social media or on tripadvisor.

Is the story of him running 13 miles with the team true?
If so massive amounts of respect for the man, that's how'd you make a bunch of twats to respect your authority, hell maybe it'd be a turning point for them.

They were also prevented by the owners from shipping out players that they viewed as problematic. There's been so much interference in the football side of things from people who know next to nothing about football. No matter what the flaws of the managers that have gone before, it's pretty clear they've all been shocked about how the club has been run.

Even if we have limited periods of success in the future those problems won't go away without a change of ownership.
Absolutely, better owners get woodward out of the football role, appoint competent people, these leeches selling the club would be our greatest transfer deal.

Is the story of him running 13 miles with the team true?
If so massive amounts of respect for the man, that's how'd you make a bunch of twats to respect your authority, hell maybe it'd be a turning point for them.

It was about 8 miles or around 13 km...running the equivalent of a half marathon would be borderline stupid.

The point he made in joining is that it was a collective failure and he is side by side with the players when they fail and succeed. That's how you breed respect, accountability, and empathy. It's leadership EtH wants and needs, it starts with him.

What do you guys think about his English so far? I think he understands it very well, and can get his point across, but sometimes I feel that he can't fully express himself. I watched a couple of press conferences for him in Dutch which I don't understand, but he seemed much more confident.

What do our Dutch residents think? Is there much of a difference in how he speaks in Dutch vs English?
There are advantages for him to have language limits. Like when he's being interviewed and tough questions are asked. Pretend like you're struggling for the words, and dodge the question like he did when they asked him about Ronaldo. :lol:

There is a lot of stuff posted in this thread which makes absolutely no sense.

1. Why were Ronaldo and Maguire dropped? As a lesson/wake up call or was it something else?

It was tactics. We were going to press Pool and exploit their high line: for both speed are needed. Exit Ronaldo. In the back, more mobility was needed in this game rather than a big physical cb: exit Maguire.

Additionally: Martial was out injured, which was why Ronaldo started last week.

The whole team underperformed the first two games, this was not a matter of dropping bad performers. Malacia played because he is a more tenacious energetic defender, to neutralize Salah.

2. We pressed for 30 minutes, then got tired and stopped pressing.

Wrong: we pressed for 95 minutes. Pressing can be done all over the field, which we did. Pool was not allowed any time on the ball, except in the back.

Our line where pressing begins dropped after 25 minutes or so, which is to be expected when you are a goal up. We continued pressing though.

3. Liverpool controlled the game after 20 minutes and should have won.

Bollocks, they never had control of the game. We limited them to creating half-chances while we easily could have scored five goals. Possession does not equal control.

4. We reverted to Ole-ball in this game, it had nothing to do with Ten Hag.

Are you fecking kidding me? We were slated to lose big, instead we gave masterclass in tactics, combined with effort and spirit (which should be a given).

The pressing we did has nothing to do with the zombie-style-sitting-back-hitting-on-the-break-ball.

Controlling a game with more possession is an end goal we will be working towards, but different tactics will be used against opponents that are very good at pressing and passing.

Not exploiting the space Pool was offering up would have been a crime. We exploited especially their left side where TAA likes to push up high and where Van Dijk doesn‘t play. Elanga and Rashford got big chances there.

Unbelieveable some people can‘t just take a big deserved win and enjoy it.

Thanks. This was nothing like how Ole set us up, or Mourinho used to or SAF used to against Arsenal. Particularly for the first 30 mins and only later at 2-0 particularly towards the end when we dropped off.

He has done exactly what I hoped he would do in the pool game. Put the high defensive line on the backburner and play more "Ole" style that the players know ho to do. Combine that with his great combination play and we are going places. Smart man.

I have to ask the Dutch posters, is ETH’s accent like a hillbilly accent in Holland?

yes a little bit. That’s why he struggled in the beginning in Amsterdam, city people laughed at him a bit. But he won them all over with his football knowledge and playing style.

He has done exactly what I hoped he would do in the pool game. Put the high defensive line on the backburner and play more "Ole" style that the players know ho to do. Combine that with his great combination play and we are going places. Smart man.

We did not sit back, but pressed relentlessly all over the field. That‘s Hagstyle not Ole style.

I‘d think you are trolling but you are probably not.

We did not sit back, but pressed relentlessly all over the field. That‘s Hagstyle not Ole style.

I‘d think you are trolling but you are probably not.
You misunderstood I think. I was referring to the lower block, less passing from the back and more focus on counter. The press was on ETH for sure as was some of the patters of play like for the first goal. I'm not trolling, virtually any half decent analysis of the game will tell you it was "Ole style" but with some added elements.

You misunderstood I think. I was referring to the lower block, less passing from the back and more focus on counter. The press was on ETH for sure as was some of the patters of play like for the first goal. I'm not trolling, virtually any half decent analysis of the game will tell you it was "Ole style" but with some added elements.
There wasn’t any added elements. We had success in some matches pressing under Ole to. Even managed to string a few passes. But we all know how difficult it is for our players to stay compact, and unit press. Let’s see if we manage that over time, and not just one game (again). We have some new additions to the team, so let’s hope that helps!

:edit: we saw in the two first games how far our players from being compact, and then it’s impossible to have a successful press. And ETH addressed it with running, and he is right.

There wasn’t any added elements. We had success in some matches pressing under Ole to. Even managed to string a few passes. But we all know how difficult it is for our players to stay compact, and unit press. Let’s see if we manage that over time, and not just one game (again). We have some new additions to the team, so let’s hope that helps!
We didn't press much at all under Ole. In the pool game we had something like 200 pressing situations against the scums 80 or so. That was ETH. The play moments like for the first goal was also ETH football. What was "Ole style" was accepting that we can not play a high line of defense or dominate the ball and instead counter the feck out of the opposition. It was Ole style made much more refined IMO.

I know that just bringing up Ole triggers some fans, but the truth is he did drill the team very well in terms of counter attacks. That should and is I think build upon by ETH because while not what we need every game, it is a super good weapon to have. We got 2ed and 3ed while having more or less only that. Add to it positional play and we will be great in much less time then people think.

Well done Erik. Put that prick in his place.

Yes, loving this, it's such a Fergie'ish move. I'd say he was just waiting for someone in the media to make a wrong move so to make an example of, and Cotterill was that plonker. This sends out the message of don't mess with the ETH.

Was this was the sane guy who flew to the Ajax training ground to get an exclusive first reaction from ETH just after it was announced he was taking over the United job and got patched?
'Sane guy' is such an inappropriate typo in this case! :D

I have to ask the Dutch posters, is ETH’s accent like a hillbilly accent in Holland?

No it's not like a hillbilly. He does have an accent in Dutch yes, but he was often ridiculed by the press and opposition fans for his mannerisms (heh). When he joined Ajax there were fears that he wouldn't be able to hold his own in the "big city". He proved everyone wrong, though and the comments about his way of talking mostly faded.

I think he'll have to go through the same process in England. I hope he improves his English, but even if he were 100% fluent in English, his speech pattern would still be a bit funny.

No it's not like a hillbilly. He does have an accent in Dutch yes, but he was often ridiculed by the press and opposition fans for his mannerisms (heh). When he joined Ajax there were fears that he wouldn't be able to hold his own in the "big city". He proved everyone wrong, though and the comments about his way of talking mostly faded.

I think he'll have to go through the same process in England. I hope he improves his English, but even if he were 100% fluent in English, his speech pattern would still be a bit funny.
Easier to understand than Rooney at least. I read a piece about him when he was hired that talked about his tiny home town, and I think his personality aligns with that background. Humble, hard working, down to earth. I'm not surprised the biggest and most challenging reclamation project in world football appealed to him so much.

Easier to understand than Rooney at least. I read a piece about him when he was hired that talked about his tiny home town, and I think his personality aligns with that background. Humble, hard working, down to earth. I'm not surprised the biggest and most challenging reclamation project in world football appealed to him so much.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. I agree.

If we keep playing this low-possession style, we'll be gassed by October.

That's why players like McTominay need to be removed because we cannot keep the ball with this guy.

Why did he play Eriksen and McTominay together for that long?

He’s made us solid, can see us becoming more expansive when Casemiro finds his stride instead of protecting the weak midfield going backwards after we scored.
Keep moving up

Important win to build up the confidence of the team which is probably what matters the most now.

But that was a shit performance and parking the bus and holding our lives for a 1-0 win is the last thing I expected him to do.

For a one off it's fine but this repeats again, then nothing is going to change. We need to build a team who can actually control the ball, not shitting themselves and parking the bus on a 1-0 lead.

If we keep playing this low-possession style, we'll be gassed by October.

That's why players like McTominay need to be removed because we cannot keep the ball with this guy.

What game were you watching? McT was solid defensively today. Some people just want to hate players for the sake of it

Status
Not open for further replies.