Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't vote until next Saturday night. If he wins that he saves his job for me and he gets a season under the new regime to turn the league form around.

I think that's the fairest way to judge him, lose the final and zero Europe loses you your job.
Yes, a one off game, and not a 38 game campaign is the best way to assess the manager.

Definitely more fair.

I refuse to get involved in this debate, although I've watched this thread and have an opinion. The frustrating thing is that if you don't agree or subscribe to a certain view, you're an inferior supporter in some way.

It's pathetic and next season will be as bad with "I told you so's", whichever way it plays out.
Agreed.

I refuse to get involved in this debate, although I've watched this thread and have an opinion. The frustrating thing is that if you don't agree or subscribe to a certain view, you're an inferior supporter in some way.

It's pathetic and next season will be as bad with "I told you so's", whichever way it plays out.

Where was this reasoning last season? :confused:

I maintain whatever the end outcome.

He’s a really good manager who has been dealt a shite hand this season.

There are possibly managers who might have managed this better but I’ve never known Pep for example to have to deal with circumstances like this.

Other sides that had significant injuries at periods in their seasons dropped points during those times.
I’ve never known Pep for example to see up so tactically hideously week in week out, in light of “circumstances like this”.

So 9 more points would have gotten us 4th.

I definitely believe the injuries we’ve suffered have cost us at least 9 (3 wins).

Just glad the PL season is over. 2-0 win over De Zerbi’s Brighton just highlights the grass isn’t always greener.

Now we’ve got an FA cup final to stop City and get another bit of silverware to salvage the season. I’m sure we’ll all put aside our differences and bring positive energy to the squad and manager before he leaves for good.

Or will he?

You're a shameless individual, Benito. :lol:

Brighton were missing Estupiňán, Dunk, van de Hecke, Veltman/Hinshelwood because of injury today. No Mitoma or March either. That's a minimum of 6 starting XI players unavailable.

Yet they they still had more possession, took more shots, created more big chances, and had a higher xG.

If we played the way that Brighton did today with better quality players, we'd actually be going somewhere as a team.

I’ve never known Pep for example to see up so tactically hideously week in week out, in light of “circumstances like this”.
Pep has had an embarrassment of riches throughout his career.
That being said I agree with your sentiment re. Ten Hag's failed pragmatism when the cards were against him. It will probably be the root cause of any downfall.

Where was this reasoning last season? :confused:
Hell, even at the beginning of this season when we were rock bottom of our easy CL group, the consensus in this thread was that anyone who wanted him out was "beneath contempt" (exact words used).

As a philosopher once said, "chat shit get banged".

Brighton were missing Estupiňán, Dunk, van de Hecke, Veltman/Hinshelwood because of injury today. No Mitoma or March either. That's a minimum of 6 starting XI players unavailable.

Yet they they still had more possession, took more shots, created more big chances, and had a higher xG.

If we played the way that Brighton did today with better quality players, we'd actually be going somewhere as a team.
I think he was talking about previous games.

I definitely believe the injuries we’ve suffered have cost us at least 9 (3 wins).
The problem with these "what ifs" are that only one team changes in them. United's injury crisis is magically taken away and that's nine more points and woo viva la Champions League! Yet Newcastle have had it just as bad on the injury front, and Chelsea are right up there too. What if their injuries were taken away as well? Does the team with a +23 goal difference still finish above the one with a -1 goal difference? Do Chelsea pick up an extra couple of wins if Fofana/Chilwell/Lavia/James aren't out for all/most of the season?

I think he was talking about previous games.

He literally mentioned beating De Zerbri today.

He had no problem mentioning how injuries affected United this season, but then doesn't apply that same logic to Brighton.

It's Liverpool FC 101. Ashamed of nothing, offended by everything.

He had no problem mentioning how injuries affected United this season, but then doesn't apply that same logic to Brighton.

He wasn't pointing to today's fixture as one where we were hurt by injury relative to the opposition. It's clear that his point was about the points lost over the course of the season and how in his view, 9 points would have well been gained had we got more players fit. After that he just said he's glad we're finished now after a 2-0 win to Brighton.

I'd argue Brighton would have climbed a couple places up the table if they had less injuries too.

Just glad the PL season is over. 2-0 win over De Zerbi’s Brighton just highlights the grass isn’t always greener.

Now we’ve got an FA cup final to stop City and get another bit of silverware to salvage the season. I’m sure we’ll all put aside our differences and bring positive energy to the squad and manager before he leaves for good.

Or will he?

I really hope you’re sarcastic. Because if that’s your reasoning, we also won a lot of games we definitely should have lost. That’s because we played shit most part of the season. We didn’t deserve anything more than eighth.

Yes, a one off game, and not a 38 game campaign is the best way to assess the manager.

Definitely more fair.
Surely by this logic you’re also using the first season though? Would be a bit unfair to pick the season you feel suits your point better surely?

Managers I’d rather have than ETH from teams we’ve played recently:

Klopp (obviously)
Glasner
Howe
De Zerbi
Iraola
Arteta (obviously)
Emery
Frank
Posteglue

Last edited:
The problem with these "what ifs" are that only one team changes in them. United's injury crisis is magically taken away and that's nine more points and woo viva la Champions League! Yet Newcastle have had it just as bad on the injury front, and Chelsea are right up there too. What if their injuries were taken away as well? Does the team with a +23 goal difference still finish above the one with a -1 goal difference? Do Chelsea pick up an extra couple of wins if Fofana/Chilwell/Lavia/James aren't out for all/most of the season?

Over the last few games alone, there were multiple what if scenarios that could have gone against us.

What if Bournemouth weren't penalised for a ridiculous handball decision. What if Newcastle were awarded a penalty for a clear foul by Amrabat on Gordon who missed today's game because of it.

Also, Villa would have taken today seriously if they needed the points. Villa weren't in the best of form since March (16 points from their last 36) and we still couldn't get near them.

Villa were very catch-able. We never reached higher than 6th at any point this season, which says it all.

He wasn't pointing to today's fixture as one where we were hurt by injury relative to the opposition. It's clear that his point was about the points lost over the course of the season and how in his view, 9 points would have well been gained had we got more players fit. After that he just said he's glad we're finished now after a 2-0 win to Brighton.

I'd argue Brighton would have climbed a couple places up the table if they had less injuries too.

Maybe let him debate that himself? It's bad enough dealing with just one of you.

Single question: how many games played this season have we been greater than the sum of our parts?
Despite being Ten Hag out, I do think there are some nice takeaways from this season.

Emergence of Mainoo
Decent first campaign by Hojlund.
Garnacho was generally very good and maybe goal of the season

It gives me hope that with a competent head coach and some smart buys in the transfer market plus some loan returnees (Sancho), we’d be pretty decent. Tuchel would’ve gotten us another 10-15 points this season just by setting up the midfield and defense properly.

Managers I’d rather have than ETH from teams we’ve played recently:

Klopp (obviously)
Glasner
Howe
De Zerbi
Iraola
Arteta (obviously)
Emery
Frank

There are very few coaches who don't get the better of ten Hag in terms of general play. They don't always get the right result like today.

Kompany's Burnley caused use a lot of problems over both games.

Well he’s always walked into teams that are pretty good or have a Messi.

He’s a world class manger and he’s never had to deal with this level of injury.

Did I say Brighton aren’t without injury? I was referring to across the entire season.

It would be stupid to look at injuries for one game and say that has any meaningful long term season determining consequences.

They still lost. So… if we played like them today we’d be going 6 fewer wins and 6 more draws despite worse on and off field circumstances.
I also believe Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool and others have been impacted by injury. But I don’t care about those clubs I care about United.

None of those clubs have had to go the whole season without a LB other best defence. They’ve not rotated their back line anywhere near ours and they also don’t rely as much on teenagers as we have.

Why would I go out of my way to mention every single club that experiences any kind of injury when discussi United under Ten Hag in this thread.

I literally made a whole thread about injuries to our players vs other clubs and availability. Do you not think that’s enough?

Im ashamed of you and your constant name calling if that helps? :lol:

Thank you.

This season has been utterly shit. I’m relived it’s over happy we won and also bemoaning the fact we could have been higher but for a little more injury luck.
I really hope you’re sarcastic. Because if that’s your reasoning, we also won a lot of games we definitely should have lost. That’s because we played shit most part of the season. We didn’t deserve anything more than eighth.
Each to their own. I’m an optimist usually.

Maybe let him debate that himself? It's bad enough dealing with just one of you.
I mean it's dead obvious what he was posting. I see @BenitoSTARR has addressed it himself anyway. Not an entirely unreasonable point.

If we can agree that Ten hag has been to blame for a lot of defeats, I don't think it's unfair to also recognise that had he had even 2-3 key players available he would have navigated 9+ more points.

It doesn't matter now though, he's finished 8th and that's what matters. It's a failure in league position there's no two ways about that.

Yep :lol:
I mean we finished feckin 8th man. Our worse ever Premier league finish. Smashed so many worse ever records. just let it go, weird arse hill to die on. “If we had nine more points”.. “if my grandma had wheels she’d be a bike “….

Quality control
Well he’s always walked into teams that are pretty good or have a Messi.

He’s a world class manger and he’s never had to deal with this level of injury.

Did I say Brighton aren’t without injury? I was referring to across the entire season.

It would be stupid to look at injuries for one game and say that has any meaningful long term season determining consequences.

They still lost. So… if we played like them today we’d be going 6 fewer wins and 6 more draws despite worse on and off field circumstances.

I also believe Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool and others have been impacted by injury. But I don’t care about those clubs I care about United.

None of those clubs have had to go the whole season without a LB other best defence. They’ve not rotated their back line anywhere near ours and they also don’t rely as much on teenagers as we have.

Why would I go out of my way to mention every single club that experiences any kind of injury when discussi United under Ten Hag in this thread.

I literally made a whole thread about injuries to our players vs other clubs and availability. Do you not think that’s enough?

Im ashamed of you and your constant name calling if that helps? :lol:

Thank you.

This season has been utterly shit. I’m relived it’s over happy we won and also bemoaning the fact we could have been higher but for a little more injury luck.

Each to their own. I’m an optimist usually.

If I saw you in person, you'd hear what I really think of you. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if V89 and you are the same person. Always tickling each other's balls. How cute.

Don't worry though, if ten Hag is eventually sacked, I can ride off into the sunset and you won't have to face someone calling you out on your hot takes anymore.

Our points this season have over-performed xPts by 15.58 points.

Last season our returns overperformef xPts by 8.60 points.

Our top 4 finish last season flattered us, our 8th place finished this season flatters us even more.

Here are the fachts:

2 players out injured = 9+ points

Therefore 6 players out injured = 27+ points

ETH nearly won the league without those injuries.

Our points this season have over-performed xPts by 15.58 points.

Last season our returns overperformef xPts by 8.60 points.

Our top 4 finish last season flattered us, our 8th place finished this season flatters us even more.
Yeah exactly.
It's not only our worst position in the league since I don't know when, but the performances have been brutal. Maybe five league games where we played well?
Lucky to finish 8th.

If we start next season with this guy we haven't a chance

It’s very tiresome that you come into debates with condescending comments and also now threats.

You appear to have a particular issue with me and I don’t know why. My PMs are open.
Yep :lol:
I mean we finished feckin 8th man. Our worse ever Premier league finish. Smashed so many worse ever records. just let it go, weird arse hill to die on. “If we had nine more points”.. “if my grandma had wheels she’d be a bike “….
I’ve said several times this season has been awful, several times that Ten Hag has made errors, several times that this isn’t good enough and needs improving urgently and several times that if he was sacked i would have no issue and back the next appointment INEOS make.

And I also happen to think injuries and other things beyond the control of Ten Hag have played a significant role and that it may not be the best idea to sack someone who is a good manager. We just have no idea if he can be a great one or what INEOS are looking for.
If I saw you in person, you'd hear what I really think of you. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if V89 and you are the same person. Always tickling each other's balls. How cute.

Don't worry though, if ten Hag is eventually sacked, I can ride off into the sunset and you won't have to face someone calling you out on your hot takes anymore.
I think it’s very sad that you have to make half threats to people on the internet to make yourself feel whatever it is you’re trying to feel.

Your anger and disdain directed towards me over an opinion is concerning and I would recommend you address this sooner rather than later.

I have no issue debating my opinion, there are many respectable members on the CAF who disagree with me but do so in a good manner. You are not one of them.

I maintain whatever the end outcome.

He’s a really good manager who has been dealt a shite hand this season.

There are possibly managers who might have managed this better but I’ve never known Pep for example to have to deal with circumstances like this.

Other sides that had significant injuries at periods in their seasons dropped points during those times.
Agreed. I still hope he is given a chance under the new regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.