Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I am pretty sure then, that Ronaldo will start to find his own group to undermine the manager.

yeah maybe, but feck them too… and who is gonna join him?

it would be career suicide at this point, and just before a World Cup as well

The club disagrees. And we went after the targets ETH wanted over our scouts picks, paying through the nose to get his man and engaging in the biggest clusterfeck the transfer world has seen to get him the midfielder he wants. We absolutely backed him, maybe even more than we should.
The club is wrong. Our scouts were useless and have been for some time. If we hadn’t tallied our lowest points then maybe a few signings would be enough; but we did and they aren’t. Malacia and Martinez are not enough for top 4, the minimum target. Eriksen is on a free so not really backing the manager in terms of spending. We are making the minimal investment and that’s not enough.

If we get DeJong in addition to the other 3, that should be seen as the minimum effort to back ETH.

Last edited:
The club is wrong. Our scouts were useless and have been for some time. If we hadn’t tallied our lowest points then maybe a few signings would be enough; but we did and they aren’t. Malacia and Martinez are not enough for top 4, the minimum target. Eriksen is on a free so not really backing the manager in terms of spending. We are making the minimal investment and that’s not enough.

Based on your assessment that we will not achieve top 4 with the current team, I am absolutely confident we will be making more signings. The problem with United's spending is that we are willing to spend enough to try to achieve top 4 but not enough to win trophies and titles.

Maybe he’s been surprised by the actual quality of the squad he has inherited, especially the younger players so he’s a bit more relaxed about bringing in new players.

Guardiola and Klopp watching every move each other make. You bring in a top forward, we bring in a top forward, and so on. I don't see anyone touching these 2 teams for the next few years. We should be concentrating at building a young team to take over the reins when these 2 are all getting old.

Maybe he’s been surprised by the actual quality of the squad he has inherited, especially the younger players so he’s a bit more relaxed about bringing in new players.

Yes agree. Many fans have somehow focused on transfers without realizing the gold mine we have in the academy. ETH now has a interesting problem on which academy players should be brought in to the first team.

As big a test for ETH as implementing a new playing style and getting results is how he handles this Ronaldo debacle.

I believe he went into the pre-season with good faith saying Ronaldo was important, would bring something to the team etc. but he must see now that the situation is unsalvageable, and that keeping around someone around the club with Ronaldo's temperament is poison.

How he deals with it will set him apart from our previous managers, who have either gone to war with players or done nothing and lost all authority. I'd go as far to say it could even define how his entire tenure pans out, as it could genuinely result in him losing the dressing room if he fecks it up, at a time when he's trying to win hearts and minds.

I hope whatever his view his, the club have the sense to back him.

My own view is get rid, ASAP. Any gain from keeping him around either as a first team player or squad player is outweighed by a bigger loss. In the former, the impact on our overall shape and tactics (and maybe on how hard the team work overall if they see him slacking) or in the case of the latter, disruption in the dressing room and the media storm from a sulking, stropping Ronaldo on the bench.

There is always a learning curve. And with the WC in the middle of the season, it fecks up this learning curve that would normally happen over the course of a season.

As big a test for ETH as implementing a new playing style and getting results is how he handles this Ronaldo debacle.

I believe he went into the pre-season with good faith saying Ronaldo was important, would bring something to the team etc. but he must see now that the situation is unsalvageable, and that keeping around someone around the club with Ronaldo's temperament is poison.

How he deals with it will set him apart from our previous managers, who have either gone to war with players or done nothing and lost all authority. I'd go as far to say it could even define how his entire tenure pans out, as it could genuinely result in him losing the dressing room if he fecks it up, at a time when he's trying to win hearts and minds.

My own view is get rid, ASAP. Any gain from keeping him around either as a first team player or squad player is outweighed by a bigger loss. In the former, the impact on our overall shape and tactics (and maybe on how hard the team work overall if they see him slacking) or in the case of the latter, disruption in the dressing room and the media storm from a sulking, stropping Ronaldo on the bench.

totally agree.

Good post and I largely agree. I would like him gone asap but we need to sign a replacement first. We cannot lose Cavani, Ronaldo and the other guy and get no replacements. That would handicap ETH tremendously.

We can’t continue the scatter gun approach to signing players that come available or have a big name, we have to sign players that fit the way we want to play. If we continue to do that we’ll be back on track in no time.
Totally agree and it's refreshing to see. I like it.

He’s been in the press screaming out for new players.
Not sure i've seen the guy screaming yet but aside from FDJ, who I believe will be our player before too long anyway and Antony then I haven't seen much other realistic noise. For what it's worth, I still think we'll sneak another striker / wide forward in. I doubt ETH is relishing working with Ronaldo and vice versa.

It's been widely reported that we're looking to make at least two more signings and ETH himself has made it clear that more signings beyond FDJ are needed.

We may well get those signings before the window closes but as it stands he obviously hasn't been given everything he wants. Rather he wanted what he has been given, and more beyond that.
Maybe he's been given everything that can easily be got. The price Ajax have slapped on Antony has pretty much snuffed that one out.

Based on your assessment that we will not achieve top 4 with the current team, I am absolutely confident we will be making more signings. The problem with United's spending is that we are willing to spend enough to try to achieve top 4 but not enough to win trophies and titles.
Youth players like Garnacho and Iqbal will have to come good and Garner will have to step up, for us to make top 4 with the current players. Too thin.

Not sure i've seen the guy screaming yet but aside from FDJ, who I believe will be our player before too long anyway and Antony then I haven't seen much other realistic noise. For what it's worth, I still think we'll sneak another striker / wide forward in. I doubt ETH is relishing working with Ronaldo and vice versa.

Yeap. He is trying to build a team where everyone works for one another. No egos. Teamwork.

I would be shocked if Ronaldo sees it that way.

He can’t be expected to finish in the top four when the club has refused to back him in the transfer market. As it stands, this is where we are.
Isn´t he being backed?
Apparently we are trying to get him a CM for close to 80m that is his preferred choice, we will give him time and backing even though our owners are not good they know he needs to be backed.
We will be looking to get some players in that is something I am sure of.
Let´s leave the not backing the manager card out until we see what we will do in the next 3-4 weeks.

We have easily spent enough money to win trophies over the past 10+ years. The issue hasn't been amount of spending, its been quality and direction. We have spent loads more than Liverpool over that time period and got far too little for it. We have spent nearly as much as City and got 1/10th of the value.

United issue has always been wasting money. Not a lack of spending it.

Thats why I am so excited for EtH. I genuinely think we have a top class manager in their prime for the first time since Fergie left.

Isn´t he being backed?

He very much is being backed. If we had sorted out the FdJ deal by now then I think our transfer business would probably be done. Buying too many players to replace ones that haven't even been given a chance under the new manager is silly and a waste of time. It can also unsettle a squad which is the last thing you want to do after last seasons mess.

If anything we probably still need to offload a few players if we want to bring in new signings. We have too many CBs and could probably sell 2 of them without losing anything on the pitch. We have a good team. The biggest issue right now is if certain players get injured the drop in quality is stark. The youth players would have to step up and have a very good season to plug the holes.

We also need to fully resolve the Ronaldo situation.

Isn´t he being backed?
Apparently we are trying to get him a CM for close to 80m that is his preferred choice, we will give him time and backing even though our owners are not good they know he needs to be backed.
We will be looking to get some players in that is something I am sure of.
Let´s leave the not backing the manager card out until we see what we will do in the next 3-4 weeks.
Or, Let´s not play the backing the manager card out until we see what we will do in the next 3-4 weeks. 2 players from the Dutch league and a 30 year old on a free transfer is not like they opened the floodgates. If we get DeJong that’s closer, but we are still light in midfield and attack. What’s the point of only partially strengthening? We need a new roof; patching the old roof every season is not good enough. We want to compete for the title and we literally don’t have players who are good enough. Expecting ETH to turn this squad into contenders is to be hoping for a miracle.

Last edited:
Yeap. He is trying to build a team where everyone works for one another. No egos. Teamwork.

I would be shocked if Ronaldo sees it that way.
Which is why I still believe we'll bring in some extra firepower. Otherwise we're relying on a frustrated Ronaldo and an unpredictable martial. The fact I am even mentioning Martial as one of our main strikers astonishes me. I've wrote that guy off years ago.

He very much is being backed. If we had sorted out the FdJ deal by now then I think our transfer business would probably be done. Buying too many players to replace ones that haven't even been given a chance under the new manager is silly and a waste of time. It can also unsettle a squad which is the last thing you want to do after last seasons mess.

If anything we probably still need to offload a few players if we want to bring in new signings. We have too many CBs and could probably sell 2 of them without losing anything on the pitch. We have a good team. The biggest issue right now is if certain players get injured the drop in quality is stark. The youth players would have to step up and have a very good season to plug the holes.

That is actually a good point. We've taken quite a risk with the transfers we've done so far, but we can't judge it until the window is closed.

Fully agree his biggest job is resolving the Ronaldo fiasco, the squad is bloated in places and in other parts it´s waver thin.
Let´s wait and see what happens I have a funny feeling we haven´t seen all comings and going this season.

Or, Let´s not play the backing the manager card out until we see what we will do in the next 3-4 weeks. 2 players from the Dutch league and a 30 year old on a free transfer is not like the opened the floodgates. If we get DeJong that’s closer, but we are still light in midfield and attack. What’s the point of only partially strengthening?
No it´s not enough not even close but we will be getting more players in and players will be leaving as well, we won´t get all the players needed this window so let´s see after the summer and then see what will happen next summer.
But I am sure there are more players coming in this summer.

I don't think Ronaldo has too much leverage. Last year left (so the players won't get behind him as they have long term contracts) and WC year which is important that you play, even for Ronaldo. And it might be wishful thinking but I really think the club changed in how to handle players issues and whom they support

The younger, impressionable ones for sure.
More likely to be the disaffected ones; those who can be made to believe that the manager shows favouritism towards others.

Looking at the Portuguese speakers, Dalot seems close to Ronnie, yet surely his loyalty is going to be to the manager who clearly rates him and is continuing to boost his career? Fred doesn’t seem to be the backstabbing type at all.

That leaves Telles and potentially Bruno, if the latter loses out to Eriksen. Telles is toast; a disaffected Bruno could be a problem, with or without Ronnie.

Which is why I still believe we'll bring in some extra firepower. Otherwise we're relying on a frustrated Ronaldo and an unpredictable martial. The fact I am even mentioning Martial as one of our main strikers astonishes me. I've wrote that guy off years ago.

I have felt the same about Martial.
And although I am very sceptical about his future at OT, I am always prepared to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

I have felt the same about Martial.
And although I am very sceptical about his future at OT, I am always prepared to give someone the benefit of the doubt.
As things stand Buster, we don't have a choice do we? If he can finally come good after all these years then fair play.

A manager who is sacked wont get a interview on the official channel. Unfortunately most of you guys only read the media and believe what is said there, so let's agree to disagree.
The mental gymnastics it must have taken you to get to that conclusion just to defend Ole... mind blown.

They wanted to give him time till the Chelsea match but after the Watford result he told Murtough that he was not confident of turning it around. Obviously the press have been running countless stories of him being sacked ever since the Leicester game, but the situation was much different.

The official club statement literally says "Ole will always be a legend at Manchester United and it is with regret that we have reached this difficult decision". That is unambiguous.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-statement-on-ole-gunnar-solskjaer

As things stand Buster, we don't have a choice do we? If he can finally come good after all these years then fair play.

No we don't. Compare and contrast the riches at City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham.
Because they are our rivals.

No we don't. Compare and contrast the riches at City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham.
Because they are our rivals.
Probably best not to compare too much though dude. We're miles away from all of those clubs right now. For me, it's just important to recognise we do now have a proper manager. ETH may or may not win things in the long term, we don't know that but we will definitely head in a direction now for better or worse. My guess is for the better.

Maybe he's been given everything that can easily be got. The price Ajax have slapped on Antony has pretty much snuffed that one out.

I hope so. He still looks very raw and at the sums quoted, looks a huge gamble. That money could be better spent getting a more established and experienced FWD in.

Probably best not to compare too much though dude. We're miles away from all of those clubs right now. For me, it's just important to recognise we do now have a proper manager. ETH may or may not win things in the long term, we don't know that but we will definitely head in a direction now for better or worse. My guess is for the better.

Very good advice.

Yes agree. Many fans have somehow focused on transfers without realizing the gold mine we have in the academy. ETH now has a interesting problem on which academy players should be brought in to the first team.

Didn't someone once say, something like -
You won't win anything with Kids :cool:

To be honest, if you look at Spurs and Chelsea's squads, the difference is not night and day. Chelsea in particular are looking very bare bones both up front and at the back. Spurs have a big squad this season, but all their high quality is up front. Unlike Liverpool and City, who have quality is every position and depth to boot, neither of those teams, nor Arsenal, are rocking a super high quality squad right the way through.

The big difference between us and those two teams is midfield. Chelsea have elite level options, and if Spurs play a 3-4-3 (or similar) with Bassouma and Hojbjerg in midfield, they'll be very hard to dominate. Meanwhile our midfield is our weakest area. That's such a key part of the field I can see it undermining us all season. But that's note quite the same as them being miles ahead of us.

It depends on ETH getting a tune of the players who underperformed last season, but Chelsea and Spurs are both examples of how a good manager can get their players back to their peak. Both clubs were in turmoil when their new managers arrived, and Tuchel and Conte both got those players playing at a high level very quickly. This group of players finished in the top four in 3 of the last 5 seasons, so its not like 6th place is their natural upper level.

Martial is like corduroys. Just when you think it's dead & buried it recycles itself and then it's comfy again before you are embarrassed by it again

Status
Not open for further replies.