Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see how he gets another season now , the performances have been so dire that INEOS cannot ignore it , if they persist with ETH and the performances stay at this level the narrative very quickly moves to 'INEOS don't know what they are doing' , how could they keep him on all the evidence they had , with a new manager comes less pressure for him(and them) to hit the ground running next season as they will be given time to rebuild from a very low base.

Well one thing I think can immediately be improved under a better infrastructure is more accountability for under performing players.
In what way - that they are benched when underperforming? The manager can do that already, he does not need a new club infrastructure for that.
Or because the new infrastructure would have a tougher approach on new contracts and strive to create more competition through squad building?
Yes, but that will take years to take effect, also since summer's financial means will be diminished due to the current team's probable inability to reach CL spots.
And then again we are left with the question how 2-3 years down the road, more player competition and accountability in the squad will magically improve Ten Hag's grip on opponent's midfields..

No but happy and 'do I think he'd do worse?' aren't the same thing.
What a completely vague non-answer

If ETH is so bad as you keep suggesting surely you would be happy to get a much superior manager in Southgate?

And Kalvin Phillips too

Care to adress the previous part of my post you quote?
The style we are looking to play this season is frankly not suited to our squad. We don't have the players for it and the onus is on the manager for failing to tweak the way we play in the meantime. Ten Hag for me has tried to skip a step in transforming the side and is too subborn to address that.

All this being said, the right structure would lead to the right transfer targets. A window of shaving off deadwood and bringing in 4-5 players can help Ten Hag fulfil the vision - because as shite as he's been this season he'd be the first to admit this certainly isn't his end goal.

The Ten Hag out Southgate in mob better think about this: Ten Hag played a kind of park the bus system and the whole team just imploded even more.

Maybe this group of players is just unable to function in any type of system, tactic. Something LvG, Jose, Rangnick publicly concluded. Ole now too.

You get Nagelsmann, Tuchel but in 6 months time they are being wanted out too. Untill the Brunos, the Rashfords, Lindeloffs, McTominay are gone or have good replacements to fight for, its gonna be more of the same.

What would that 'better infrastructure' mean for the day to day business of the manager at the start of next season? What effect would it have on Ten Hag's team selections, tactical approach, substitutions, man management?
Would one summer window under a new board transform the squad so much that we should expect to see something substantially different in next season's actual football games under the guidance of the same manager who is in charge right now?

If Ten Hag stays, things on the pitch will be exactly like they are now. If people are content with how things are on the pitch, it makes sense to keep Ten Hag.
Lets face it when people say better structure it mostly boils down to better player recruitment. That's by far the biggest effect it would have on the pitch - under any manager.

It also means getting who they believe is the best manager for the football they want to deliver.

The style we are looking to play this season is frankly not suited to our squad. We don't have the players for it and the onus is on the manager for failing to tweak the way we play in the meantime. Ten Hag for me has tried to skip a step in transforming the side and is too subborn to address that.

All this being said, the right structure would lead to the right transfer targets. A window of shaving off deadwood and bringing in 4-5 players can help Ten Hag fulfil the vision - because as shite as he's been this season he'd be the first to admit this certainly isn't his end goal.
Do you really believe that if the last 4 transfer windows could not do it (in which the club spent a lot of money and Ten Hag by all reports had a lot of say and influence), the next one will make it so FINALLY Ten Hag has a squad suited to his precious style? We won't have much money, mind, if we don't reach CL.

It is an honest question to you but you know my answer: it's a fools errand of a narrative.

Lets face it when people say better structure it mostly boils down to better player recruitment. That's by far the biggest effect it would have on the pitch - under any manager.

It also means getting who they believe is the best manager for the football they want to deliver.
So you agree that a better structure leads to better player recruitment?

I’d have Steve McLaren as interim. While we wait for a suitable candidate.

I can’t see ETH improving this team - and unlike others I don’t think he is a bad manager. He just isn’t suited to the English game - one that calls for tactical nimbleness and astute man management especially at an elite club.

No but happy and 'do I think he'd do worse?' aren't the same thing.

Any manager that comes in will be having to play Rashford, McTominay and Bruno, so not a lot will change really. Rashford won't suddenly look up and not run into opposition. Or look for the striker. Bruno won't feck 9 passes out of 10 every game. McTom won't suddenly become a footballer. And they won't all suddenly stop shooting from 30-40 yds out every game.

It cannot be a coincidence that successive managers, some who have won everything possible, have failed to get a tune out of United for more than a decade now.

The culture of the club needs to change.

What a completely vague non-answer

If ETH is so bad as you keep suggesting surely you would be happy to get a much superior manager in Southgate?

And Kalvin Phillips too
It's not vague at all. If you don't think there's a manager out there that could get us playing better football than what we saw against Brentford the other night (and most of the season) then fair enough, I'm not going to change your mind.

I'd be happy with someone like De Zerbi coming in, not happy with Southgate - but I still very much doubt he'd have us being outplayed every week.

Do you really believe that if the last 4 transfer windows could not do it (in which the club spent a lot of money and Ten Hag by all reports had a lot of say and influence), the next one will make it so FINALLY Ten Hag has a squad suited to his precious style? We won't have much money, mind, if we don't reach CL.

It is an honest question to you but you know my answer: it's a fools errand of a narrative.
Why do we arbitrary just count transfer windows and assume they're all the same? We both know major signings in January are extremely rare and we've been dumpster diving in the loan market for them. We had £0 to spend the last Jan and needed to dive into the loan market the Jan before.

Back to the comparison across transfer windows, I Shouldn't really need to explain why a structure with Berrada/ Ashworth and others is better than Arnold/Murtough with an ex academy player's brother negotiating contracts.

It's not vague at all. If you don't think there's a manager out there that could get us playing better football than what we saw against Brentford the other night (and most of the season) then fair enough, I'm not going to change your mind.

I'd be happy with someone like De Zerbi coming in, not happy with Southgate - but I still very much doubt he'd have us being outplayed every week.
I asked you the question pal.

Lets for just a moment park Eric Ten Hag for United this particular season and evaluate him last season, his stints at Ajax, and the clubs prior.

Do you think if Ten Hag is sacked (for this season), then his career after United will be a style being outplayed by all the clubs in the league? Or do you think this particular season might be uncharacteristic of his actual pedigree?

Any manager that comes in will be having to play Rashford, McTominay and Bruno, so not a lot will change really. Rashford won't suddenly look up and not run into opposition. Or look for the striker. Bruno won't feck 9 passes out of 10 every game. McTom won't suddenly become a footballer. And they won't all suddenly stop shooting from 30-40 yds out every game.
A manager should have them playing how he wants, and if not drop them. We already have alternatives in the squad to Rashford and Bruno even without transfers.

A manager should have them playing how he wants, and if not drop them. We already have alternatives in the squad to Rashford and Bruno even without transfers.

And yet Rashford and McTominay have been undroppable for 5 years and 3 managers.

We don't though - who is the Bruno alternative that's viable?
He dropped Rashford for a period, we didn't really look much better. Rashford has been our most productive attacker of late too.

Funny that. I'll ask you it back then. Do you think Ten Hag is the best manager we can get for next season?
We could probably do better yes.

But I think Amorim goes to Liverpool and RdZ to Barca so outside of them I'd want maybe Nagelsmann. Outside of that I'd stick with ETH.

The Ten Hag out Southgate in mob better think about this: Ten Hag played a kind of park the bus system and the whole team just imploded even more.

Maybe this group of players is just unable to function in any type of system, tactic. Something LvG, Jose, Rangnick publicly concluded. Ole now too.

You get Nagelsmann, Tuchel but in 6 months time they are being wanted out too. Untill the Brunos, the Rashfords, Lindeloffs, McTominay are gone or have good replacements to fight for, its gonna be more of the same.
Think I’ve found Ten Hag’s burner account lads!

Lets for just a moment park Eric Ten Hag for United this particular season and evaluate him last season, his stints at Ajax, and the clubs prior.

Do you think if Ten Hag is sacked (for this season), then his career after United will be a style being outplayed by all the clubs in the league? Or do you think this particular season might be uncharacteristic of his actual pedigree?
No idea, trying to compare what he did in Eredivisie (with a vastly superior squad to the rest of the league) to the PL is pointless.

The biggest issue is recruitment. We need players to come in and immediately be first team starters who relegate the inconsistent players we currently have to squad player status rather than guaranteed starters each game regardless of form.

There's no 'Southgate in' mob.

We don't though - who is the Bruno alternative that's viable?
He dropped Rashford for a period, we didn't really look much better. Rashford has been our most productive attacker of late too.
Mount if he can actually get fit.

No idea, trying to compare what he did in Eredivisie (with a vastly superior squad to the rest of the league) to the PL is pointless.
Then we should outright ignore Amorim, Southgate, Nagelsmann.
But we both know that if say, Amorim or Nagelsmann were to join you'd be filled with excitement (don't get me wrong, I would too because I find both of these managers interesting).

My point is though - it's quite likely that this season, terrible as it is, is likely not representative of what Ten Hag is actually capable of as a manager when transforming teams. He's made mistakes, heck I'd be fine to sack him for a manager with pedigree (there are none available by the way). But saying "oh we cant get worse than this if we got someone else" is just flawed logic, because you're assuming that by keeping Ten Hag there's zero chance we get better. The latter is not a school of thought I buy into, whilst accepting and agreeing that Ten Hag's staunch defenders have little legs to stand on this year.

Mount if he can actually get fit.
Right so you're annoyed at Ten Hag for not hypothetically playing Mount over Bruno if he stayed fit.

What you do know is that Mount has been injured all season, Eriksen's legs have gone and ultimately we haven't had an alternative to Bruno (Who had to drop into an 8 with McT as a 10 for periods in this season).

Then we should outright ignore Amorim, Southgate, Nagelsmann.
But we both know that if say, Amorim or Nagelsmann were to join you'd be filled with excitement.

My point is though - it's quite likely that this season, terrible as it is, is likely not representative of what Ten Hag is actually capable of as a manager when transforming teams. He's made mistakes, heck I'd be fine to sack him for a manager with pedigree (there are none available by the way). But saying "oh we cant get worse than this if we got someone else" is just flawed logic, because you're assuming that by keeping Ten Hag there's zero chance we get better. The latter is not a school of thought I buy into, whilst accepting and agreeing that Ten Hag's staunch defenders have little legs to stand on this year.
I agree with this.

I think the names such as De Zerbi, Amorim and Nagelsmann represent a risk that probably equates to the same as keeping ETH. What swings it for me is I think there is more chance under ETH that we get rid of obvious shite like Maguire, McTominay etc and make more progress at purging the squad.

I fear appointing a new manager may give them yet another fresh start.

Say what you want about Southgate, he’s not starting a football match with one central midfielder on the pitch

Right so you're annoyed at Ten Hag for not hypothetically playing Mount over Bruno if he stayed fit.

What you do know is that Mount has been injured all season, Eriksen's legs have gone and ultimately we haven't had an alternative to Bruno (Who had to drop into an 8 with McT as a 10 for periods in this season).
Not I didn't say that at all. (what is it with some of you making up stuff in your heads to try score a point? )

I replied to a post saying (hypothetically) under a new manager there's no alternative to playing Bruno. There would be.

Not I didn't say that at all. (what is it with some of you making up stuff in your heads to try score a point? )

I replied to a post saying (hypothetically) under a new manager there's no alternative to playing Bruno. There would be.
I thought Mount was a failed signing that wouldn't play under a different manager?

Say what you want about Southgate, he’s not starting a football match with one central midfielder on the pitch
That plus the fact it’s not EtH vs Southgate which is the fake argument EtH apologists have created cause justifying him based on performances is impossible.

If we sack EtH there is no guarantee Southgate gets the job anyway.

But Eriksens legs going isn't a surprise. He was on the cusp of that last season. As was Casemiro.

Crazy to go into this season just hoping it wouldn't happen.

Mount was never a solution to that with him not being a CM.

Many things have been out of ETH's control but the CM situation was crucial and that's on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.