Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
keeping players because “low salary” rather than their quality seems crazy to me

Watching Sky and the robot Kaveh slating the interview process and the fact ten Hag has not listened to van Gaal’s criticism that United is a business.

Other teams have interviewed managers for jobs before, so I don’t see the problem.

Perhaps ten Hag sees himself as the man to turn United priorities back into a football club?

Spot on by Carra. No reason you can't build an entire squad in two seasons if you want to.

Back Ten Hag and hope he is the one. It's all you can do.

Give him a 5 year project and it'll fail before it begins

Spot on by Carra. No reason you can't build an entire squad in two seasons if you want to.

I can’t remember how long it took Klopp.

Any chance he might sign the 2 or 3 best current Ajax players for his PL adventure? DeLigt should escape from Turin asap. F.deJong seems miserable with Barca.

Welcome to Manchester United, hopefully he's the one to help turn this club around and get us back to winning trophies again.

I can’t remember how long it took Klopp.

Klopp was drip fed the money up until the big sales came!

No reason we should do the same. We need to aim up to massively catch up instantly.

Liverpool are run brilliantly now but there way isn't the only way. If Klopp had access to the money from the start he'd have had them flying even sooner.

Carragher purposely putting pressure on already. Some of you lap up whatever he says because you want to believe it. It will take more than 2 years, just like it took his beloved Klopp and Liverpool more than 2 years, which he conveniently didn't mention.

Carragher purposely putting pressure on already. Some of you lap up whatever he says because you want to believe it. It will take more than 2 years, just like it took his beloved Klopp and Liverpool more than 2 years, which he conveniently didn't mention.

Nonsense. See my above post. Klopp was drip fed money at first until the big sales funded the super team.

There is no reason for us to drip feed Ten Hag money. We can't afford to wait and it would be pointless to. We have to worry about so many teams getting the jump on us over the next few years.

He says challenging, not winning. Klopp reached a CL final in his 2nd full season,

He literally did mention. He said they got to the champions league final at the end of Klopps second season

Nonsense. See my above post. Klopp was drip fed money at first until the big sales funded the super team.

There is no reason for us to drip feed Ten Hag money. We can't afford to wait and it would be pointless to. We have to worry about so many teams getting the jump on us over the next few years.
He was allowed to overhaul a whole squad, we'll see if Ten Hag get's the same opportunity to do also do that. He won't win or challenge for anything with this lot

I've been pretty busy today so haven't followed this much but if the board were in initial disagreement with his request for McClaren, that means they still haven't learned their lesson.
They shouldn't be appointing someone they're not willing to back 100%.
It was the same when Woodward was here. The guy thought he knew football but in reality probably never kicked a ball in his life the twat.

They are not comparable to be honest. Ajax I don't think were ever as good as they are now in the Eredivisie under De Boer, and they got knocked out the CL in the group stage every year he was there.

Ten Hag took them to within inches of the final a couple of seasons ago, and they arguably should have made the QF again this season as they battered Benfica over the two legs. They were superb in the group stages too.

It's also reassuring I think that he lost some players from the CL semi final team, yet managed to replace them and build another competitive team in Europe.

Everyone bangs on about his efforts in the Champions League. It is a cup competition. What matters is the league. And he has no experience in any major world league. De Boer's failure at Palace is just the first of Ajax managers who have gone higher only to fail. Another is Peter Bosz, who 'outdated' Mourinho and United turned over in the Europa League final. What we would give for the trophies Mourinho brought through that year. Bosz went on to fail at Dortmund and Leverkusen in the Bundesliga, one of the top four European leagues. And he is now struggling at Lyon. There were question marks over the Dutchman’s future, with the defeat to West Ham in the Europa League the latest setback in what French football watchers say is a disappointing campaign across the board, as they sit around 8th place.

But I very very much hope Ten Hag breaks the trend of Ajax managers who move to bigger clubs in far more competitive leagues. If Brendan Rodgers can do it... but then he nearly won Liverpool the title before his success in Celtic, so he is far less of a risk. Ten Hag is a massive risk. Again. No question. I really do hope it works out.

In the actual interview it was less pointed. He said he was very complimentary about ETH and said it was a good pick. The challenging in 2 years was a secondary commitment saying although things look bad, they are never as bad as they seem. I think that was more on the pundits saying it would take 5 years + to get near the top again.

I've been pretty busy today so haven't followed this much but if the board were in initial disagreement with his request for McClaren, that means they still haven't learned their lesson.
They shouldn't be appointing someone they're not willing to back 100%.
It was the same when Woodward was here. The guy thought he knew football but in reality probably never kicked a ball in his life the twat.
There's no evidence to suggest that.
Some journo jumped the gun on a story, then back tracked an hour later but called it an "update". The BBC are still saying United want McClaren as assistant, as in it's not even done yet.

There's no way they decided McClaren wasn't the right man, then an hour later after the story broke they just changed their mind.

Bald man aaaaaah
Fighter of the Klopp man aaaaaah
Champion of Holland aaaaah
You're a master of rebuilds
And titles for everyone

bMMfi0c.jpg

Maybe he is, but we can only say what we see. Which is that whenever I watch McTominay play he looks awful, he hides, and is more often than not completely anonymous, you get maybe 1 great game out of every 10 with him, that's the evidence we have to go on

1 great game out of ten is more to work with than 0 great games out of 10. his take will be to unlock his potential in the other 9.

It took Klopp one year to make obvious huge improvements in both style and results.

That's the point. Doesn't matter who the manager is, if they can't make obvious improvements within 2-3 years then they're not going to in 5 or 6.

Then what's this bollocks about him challenging in two years? It might take that long to feck off this current lot and their daft salaries.

It's not bollocks. As Rangick said we need to ship out most of the team and get like 6+ in this summer.

Ten Hag shouldn't have took the job if he won't be allowed to do that.

If he gets the new players he should be able to compete in two seasons. Klopp did it and he wasn't given the money that Ten Hag will probably be.

I'm amazed everyone wants to have such low standards.

But didn't really challenge for the title till his 3rd season.
They didn't but they showed signs they could compete with the best.

It's unreasonable to expect ETH to win the PL or CL in his two seasons but it's not unreasonable that we're competing, even it's via cup runs or patches in the league. Tuchel has done it at Chelsea and while other teams fell off last season, we did finish 2nd.

Regardless I think all Carragher is saying is that it shouldn't take 5 years to show significant signs of progress.

Liverpool were lucky enough to be rising as everyone else (United, Chelsea, Arsenal) were all falling. United have a lot of work to do to overhaul Chelsea, Liverpool and City
Yeah they were really lucky to have to compete against a team regularly breaking win streak and points total records.

He was allowed to overhaul a whole squad, we'll see if Ten Hag get's the same opportunity to do also do that. He won't win or challenge for anything with this lot
Some are already saying he isn't right if he doesn't value their favourite. Scenes at sky when he doesn't start Rashford or on social media when he doesn't like CR. I think ETH dumps all the players who expect the system to work for them. All our so called best players fit the description and should be put on notice. I wouldn't have renewed Bruno for this reason.

Everyone bangs on about his efforts in the Champions League. It is a cup competition. What matters is the league. And he has no experience in any major world league. De Boer's failure at Palace is just the first of Ajax managers who have gone higher only to fail. Another is Peter Bosz, who 'outdated' Mourinho and United turned over in the Europa League final. What we would give for the trophies Mourinho brought through that year. Bosz went on to fail at Dortmund and Leverkusen in the Bundesliga, one of the top four European leagues. And he is now struggling at Lyon. There were question marks over the Dutchman’s future, with the defeat to West Ham in the Europa League the latest setback in what French football watchers say is a disappointing campaign across the board, as they sit around 8th place.

Not sure Peter Bosz has anything to do with ETH. Sure they both managed Ajax but if you can't see the difference in their levels....

Whether ETH is a success or failure, I am just glad we are giving a chance to an upcoming manager who has a distinct style of play

The first appointment post SAF that I’m genuinely excited about.
I hope both the fans and the club give him enough time to sort this out. It’s a huge job - biggest squad build for an elite club I can remember (given the number of outgoings and current state of club).
Expectations are low so improve the quality of football and get us fans excited about watching United again, and I think all but the Twitter keyboard virgins will give him time.

so these numbers jokes about the fact Ten Hag has the word "ten" in his name

it's about as funny as Lee Mack lads

So, so I'm not into prophecies, or conspiracies, and I certainly don't wish to get all of your hopes up, but..........

Erik Ten Hag takes over for the 2022/23 season.
It's Ten seasons in from the last time we last won the PL in 2012/13.

Do with that information what you will.

The amount of rumors and stories real or not from now til 1st July is going to be ridiculous.
We'll have been linked to every current Ajax player by then as a minimum (not far off already). Every one of our players will be rumoured to be sold.

It's not bollocks. As Rangick said we need to ship out most of the team and get like 6+ in this summer.

Ten Hag shouldn't have took the job if he won't be allowed to do that.

If he gets the new players he should be able to compete in two seasons. Klopp did it and he wasn't given the money that Ten Hag will probably be.

I'm amazed everyone wants to have such low standards.
If we're able to do that then it's a different story but who takes Maguire, Rashford, Martial, Lindelöf, Wan-Bissaka, Shaw etc? They're on daft wages and by all accounts aren't going anywhere for at least 2 seasons, by which point Ten Hag should have been challenging for the league apparently.

Unless the board are ruthless and allow him to be ruthless it's going to take longer. The blessing this season is that most of the high earners are leaving on free's.

It's nothing to do with low standards, it's being realistic based on the shite we've been served by this bunch of twats for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.