Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's atrocious and shows complete naivety. At the very, very least, we should not be losing games like today's. Maybe we struggle to score, but a 0-0 is far easier to stomach than a 0-3. If you can't win games, then don't get beat!
I think we have 0 draws this season. We never draw games. Either we win or get beaten.

We don't win with 3+ goals than often but get beaten by 3+ goals more often.

It shows it's a structure issue. Set-up issues.

If you adjust the tactics to say, switch back to 2 holding midfielders in a true double pivot (a la Ole’s Fred/McT double pivot), we aren’t going to create enough. I do think we could see what Mainoo+Amrabat look like together, but do we really believe that our front 4 have the quality to create chances with that structure and 2 midfielders sitting deep? Let’s not kid ourselves…

We aren't scoring any goals with this system. You have to go down to Palace in 15th to find a team that has scored less than us. It's both suicidal defensively and offers nothing going forward because by playing McTominay as some weird second #10, you're pretty much playing with 10 men until the ball is in the opposition box.

We were scoring more last season and were much more defensively solid with the other system, not to mention that Mainoo and Amrabat would offer a lot more on the ball than McFred ever did.

I wish there were some freeze frames of our midfield in the second half and the yawning chasm between Amrabat, McTom, and Bruno.

Amrabat was sitting very deep, virtually level with the centre backs, and McTom and Bruno were nowhere to be seen.

Especially if we go behind in a game, the two attacking eights clutter up the attack and leave us wide open to counter attacks.

All of this is so obvious to anyone watching, but he persists with it game in, game out, and here we are, being pumped at home to Bournemouth.

I see funny trend among his devotes fan base, whenever we lose it’s because players have downed tools and let the brilliant mind Erik down, however the good games are strictly because of his immaculate tactics. :lol:

It's always been like that. Manchester United fans genuinely always have the second coming of Christ leading them - it's literally everything else in the world, that's letting him down.

Without McTominay's 5 goals we'd be 14th. 19 points from 16 games. -8 goal difference.

Let that sink in.

Wow.

It's almost surreal.No different than the latter days of OGS to me. Some better performances mask an underlying lack of cohesion on the pitch.

If I'm Ten Hag I'm on the first flight to Turkey for a hair transplant. Otherwise he's on borrowed time.

I'm not for sacking him, but I would say that he is quite fortunate that we haven't drawn any games in the PL yet.

That's what has kept us in an inflated position for our performances, and our wins have always been closer to draws than our loses to draws that's for sure.

It's hardly an experiment. He's put in fantastic displays at centre back, and it's not as if we looked any better when Varane was starting anyway. It's not a back four problem as such, it's a structural problem, and we need to be harder to play against.
The problem is that Reguilon as LB unsettled ourselves. It made Shaw as CB pointless. As we saw, Shaw was struggling to deal with their physicality as well. Reguilon has no physicality at all. They kept bumping and overloading our left side. In a hindsight, I would say ETH still underestimates how physical the league is.

Anybody would do better than him right now at least as a short term boost.

I don’t think so and we can’t just install any manager under the guise of ‘not ETH’. It worked when we brought in Ole but didn’t when Ragnick came in. This is a difficult group of players to manage and it could easily get worse if we don’t get it right.

For me, ETH’s ultimate failing is that after all the money that he has spent, that is the best team selection that he can make. Funnily enough, it’s the same failing as other coaches before him.

I said no apparent reason, as in he has said he has no problem with him...which I find more of a red flag as that means he genuinely thinks there's a tactical reason to pick Evans or Shaw at CB and Reguilon at LB than Varane
Varane has been a nothing player for us, and it says a lot that Martinez, who is not world class, came in and immediately performed better than him in his first few games than Varane had done in his first season here.

It's always been like that. Manchester United fans genuinely always have the second coming of Christ leading them - it's literally everything else in the world, that's letting him down.
It's worse than RAWK.

1) Needs to learn to rotate so players have energy and fresnhess, especially in midfield

2) Terrible signings have hampered us

3) Good football but the other two points will be his downfall

standards are so low now

His time is up. That's yet another bombscare line up and idiotic tactics he's presided over. Whilst he needs to go there are a large number of players that also need to go.

In some way I feel bad for him, you never want to see anyone lose their job, and given enough time most people will get decent enough at their job to be passable. Now, the issue is, as a football club we should be up there, which means managers will not be given the same time here as they would at a smaller club, it is also why we pay premium for managers because we want the best of the best, someone to hit the ground running.

ETH so far hasn't built on the progress from the halfway point of last season. Some of that is due to other factors of course (injuries, form, horrible structure above him), but there are aspects where you'd expect to see a manager's work where I think he's fallen short.

The far into his tenure I'd expect him to have seen how open we are playing a 4-1-4-1 formation. That in itself isn't so bad, but our team right now is more likely to concede than score. Our wingers are terribly off form, striker can't score to save their lives, and our one decent DM has become a crock. So why not build a strong core first? Focus on players who can hold the ball, pass it accurately and consistently. Whatever McTominay(and I'm one of his biggest fans around here) gives us in terms of goals, we lose in control. We cannot play pingpong and win most games.

Today's game, despite the early setback was crying out for some control in midfield. They were happy to cede possession and we only needed to be patient and carve them open. Instead we kept turning it over anytime someone as much as pressed our midfield. Biggest culprits being Bruno (who sadly cannot help himself), and McTominay. Our wingers and forwards then have to do more off the ball work defending whenever they broke hurting us even further as our shape is out of whack whenever we recover it.

I still don't think this union will work or that ETH himself is good enough for that level that we should be at right now (not even elite but the class below). So will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Reactions: Cheimoon
Needs to go. I dont care what he says about balance about playing out form the back, there has to be a time that Varane comes back in to help stem the many fecking goals we concede but it’s a personal issue keeping him out. Same as Sancho. At what fecking point does Ten Hag look at the team and plan around what we need instead of his principles which is hitting the team more than helping it. Sit them down and say they don’t get on but they can play if they give 100 percent and be allowed to leave.
For feck sake. When Varane, Casemiro and Sancho are up for sale in the January window after performances like these there’s something desperately wrong.

If he had a shred of common sense he'd start packing the midfield. It's not like we're creating anything or scoring.

A team of amputees could run through this midfield, it’s an insane tactic for us in the PL, we don’t have the players for it. Either he adapts very quickly or he’ll be sacked soon. If he’s not already gone after today

This whole "two midfielders go up, one midfielder stays back and one of the fullbacks comes into midfield" thing might just be the worst tactic I've ever seen. Or at least our execution of it is. Just because pep and lego pep are trying it doesn't mean that everyone else should. I struggle to see where the merit in that system actually is. The one thing our team lacks right now is stability. We have a handful of midfielders (Cas, Amrabat, Mainoo) whose games are about providing a stable base. Forget about whatever you started the season hoping to achieve and recognize the situation that we are in. We are getting sliced apart by every single team we play, whether they take their chances or not, and we aren't even very good going forward to compensate for it.

It genuinely is. At least the delusional Liverpool fans were devoted to their actual club. Our fans for the most part hate their own club, and our devoted to the manager.
It's actually depressingly true.

I don’t think so and we can’t just install any manager under the guise of ‘not ETH’. It worked when we brought in Ole but didn’t when Ragnick came in. This is a difficult group of players to manage and it could easily get worse if we don’t get it right.

For me, ETH’s ultimate failing is that after all the money that he has spent, that is the best team selection that he can make. Funnily enough, it’s the same failing as other coaches before him.
It’s not that I want him sacked or that I think anyone could do better. Possibly nobody could, how could we know?

I just think he WILL be sacked because the critical mass of all these defeats and bad performances will be too great. He’ll get the next two games, which we will lose heavily and he will be gone.

The wheels have come off.

I think in any other time without this Ineos shit going on, he'd be our the door tonight.

In some way I feel bad for him, you never want to see anyone lose their job, and given enough time most people will get decent enough at their job to be passable. Now, the issue is, as a football club we should be up there, which means managers will not be given the same time here as they would at a smaller club, it is also why we pay premium for managers because we want the best of the best, someone to hit the ground running.

:lol::lol:

Maybe if your job is stacking shelves at Lidl, driving an Uber around or an administrative job which are getting phased out by automation. But no, in most high paying and competitive industries you can't just become passable over time.

I don't think he's the one to get us back competitive anymore, which is a real shame because from about October to February last year, I genuinely thought EtH was going to be the one for us.

However, I think the ownership and footballing structure needs to be fixed before we sack him and bring someone else in. What can't happen is that we start anything 2/3 year rebuild etc etc..

Get the ownership sorted and get the structure in place from a footballing sense. I think Emery would probably be one of my top choices.

I disagree we don’t have players to play his system. ETH made the mistake to use Reguilon as LB. Our left side is completely unsettled. Putting Shaw or Dalot there would make huge difference. Bruno’s loose pass which resulted in the first goal was due to it. They continued to target our left side and compromised our play.
The system clearly isn’t working, so either the players can’t work it or the coach can’t get his ideas across. Either way we can’t continue to concede 3 goals, it’s the definition of insanity

It’s not that I want him sacked or that I think anyone could do better. Possibly nobody could, how could we know?

I just think he WILL be sacked because the critical mass of all these defeats and bad performances will be too great. He’ll get the next two games, which we will lose heavily and he will be gone.

The wheels have come off.

It does feel like the wheels have come off. I don’t think the club will sack him right now. However, when INEOS get their foot in the door, they might do.

Ive been very pro ten hag, but today ive entered the i dont care camp. change him, don't change him. It doesnt matter. I think the club is genuinely broken and too big to ever drop to consistently bottom half. I think we'll just linger where we are possibly forever.

I think this was a definitive result. It will change the minds of many, maybe confirm things in the mind of many. I have stated, some time ago, that he cannot do this job. It's too big for him because he is a limited manager. And I still, still, still am yet to see any evidence that he is a good coach. We are so easy to play against, have been all season, it is so, so obvious and the fact that this has not been addressed tells you all that you need to know.

I actually wonder whether ETH wants the job anymore, because teams reflect their manager, and we are fragile, incoherent and weak as a team. Just feel ETH can't do this. Sorry.

I just don't get it. Everyone knows if you want to control the game you control the midfield. You control the game you can more often than not get results. Yet year after year we feck around with our midfield with either not addressing it or with this season playing some stupid feck system with just 1 midfielder in there.

I see funny trend among his devotes fan base, whenever we lose it’s because players have downed tools and let the brilliant mind Erik down, however the good games are strictly because of his immaculate tactics. :lol:
"He should walk" posts also starting to pop up again.

I think in any other time without this Ineos shit going on, he'd be our the door tonight.
You could be right. But even so, I can’t see him kept on here if he loses the next too games. I think SJR will recognise the hopeless situation EtH has got himself into and will want a clean slate. Almost certainly it won’t help in the long term but I really do think the club will want a new dawn.

He's done now. He'll be kept on so we can blame the complete euro (No Europa League 3rd place) exit and Liverpool drubbing on him and then rinse and repeat with the next manager we ruin.

Status
Not open for further replies.