Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said no one said it was over. Plenty have.

12 games in 6pts off 2nd. 2 more points than the same stage last season and another crucial win today. Good position to push on again for top 4 once all the injured players are back. That salvageable enough for you?

6 points off the top. No reason we wont win the league

30 wins from 50 games.

Only other Manchester United manager to do it?

Yeah, you know the answer to that.

the harsh reality to that is its not good enough in this day and age. Thats 90 points. One of rivals will do that in 38 most seasons

the harsh reality to that is its not good enough in this day and age. Thats 90 points. One of rivals will do that in 38 most seasons

The harsh reality is nobody is winning jack shit with Guardiola here.

Still doesn't mean we give up the fight or give up the man who's capable of getting better.

That’s actually really surprising. It’s also an extremely inconvenient fact for those looking to write him off.
No-one said he didn't have a good run soon after arriving, following the Casemiro purchase, Erilsen played alongside him to control, and Rashford (again) being motivated to go on one of his streaks. But once Casemiro's rhythm was broken by suspensions around early Spring 23, Rashford's form started to tail-off and ERiksen, the football has been discernibly worse, and the ppg has (partly)reflected that.

No-one aside from the most knee-jerk types would be calling for a serious review if it was a blip of 2-3 games coinciding with more injuries than usual and players coming back in -it's a longer-term trend, with partly external factors (injuries, though that's also on medical team in part) just showing up issues with tactics and adaptability and rotation, as well as how much of his success was based on players with waning attributes, like a lesser version of the last SAF season. Except in this case, the team was allowed to be partly revamped based primarily on his choices for signings...and it's been largely a hot-mess relative to the resources of the club, the claims about the manager's ability etc. Chances are he won't be adding to those 50 wins especially soon with the post int.break games....

I do admit I missed these posts but I made my point about this clear.

We are actually 2 points less than last season and few here already corrected this.

Today is literally the first day I looked at the table since the season started due to how much people talked about us being 6 points off 2nd after our great win tonight. Ignoring the fact that Liverpool, Villa and Man City are yet to play and they are all ahead of us, it's mid November. My issue hasn't been with the league table or points tally so far and I have never talked about them since it's way too early to talk about how the table will look like and whether we will finish top 4 or even top 10. The issue is we are playing like shit and these glorious wins we have been getting against relegation fodders are unsustainable. We aren't improving. We are only winning because we are facing teams far worse than us, that's it.

We just hit a piss easy run and do agree we managed to get good points out of it but now it's over and with the current form we will be thrashed again soon.

The future is more important than defeating Luton at home.

That's the spirit.

Considering the incredible negativity around him and how bad the performances have been, the points tally is pretty impressive. Good coach who shouldn't be allowed to pick players to buy. Still plenty of credit in the bank for me I think he'll build something good here. Buying Antony was pretty annoying though.

You are so tiresome. Time for me to use the ignore button.
And the reverse appears to be true as well, it's entirely posible you'll be talking to yourself soon if you keep it up!

The ongoing number of missed games by the first team squad is eye watering. They have supposedly first class trainers and facilities and are in the top echelon of athletes.

I played at my standard, which was handy, and played both Saturday and Sunday league, trained once per week and can’t remember missing any games over probably 10 years. Just seems amazing how many of our players are not available, they are playing at their level with all the advantages that brings, anyone got any answers ?

That’s actually really surprising. It’s also an extremely inconvenient fact for those looking to write him off.

Sort of like how the absence of any quality of football, looking totally uncoached and losing half of our 16 games this season are inconvenient facts for those looking to make excuses

Worst start since 1974
Just 1.41 points per game
Also
- Manchester United had never lost a CL game they were leading by 2 goals, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost a game they were leading by 2+ goals since 2014, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never conceded 4+ in two CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 9 of the opening 17 games since 1974, until Erik Ten Hag
- No team had ever give away 4 penalties in their first 4 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- No player as young as Roony Bardghji had scored against Manchester United in the CL, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 8 of the opening 15 games in a season since 1962, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 5 of their first 10 games at Old Trafford since 1931, until Erik Ten Hag
- Newcastle hadn't won at Old Trafford since 2013, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Newcastle hadn't won a cup game against Manchester Uniteds since 1994, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost twice in a row to Newcastle since 1972, until Erik Ten Hag
- No post war Manchester United manager had conceded 20 goals to City and Liverpool in their first 6 games against them, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 5 of the opening 10 league games in 36 years, until Erik Ten Hag
- Galatasaray hadn't won a game on English soil in 117 years of existing, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never lost the opening 2 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never conceded 7 goals in the opening 2 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never conceded 3+ goals in back to back CL games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Galatasaray hadn't scored in or won an away goal in the CL since 2015, 3 in one game as soon as they meet Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost 4 of the opening 7 games in PL history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United haven't had as few as 9 points from the opening 7 games since 1989, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't conceded 4 goals in a CL group game in 28 years, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't conceded 3+ goals in 3 consecutive games since 1978, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never lost at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost the opening two away games since 1973-74, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't conceded more than one goal in 4 consecutive league games since 1979, Until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never conceded 2 goals in the opening 4 minutes of a PL game at Old Trafford, Until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never conceded 23 shots in one game at Old Trafford in PL history, Until Erik Ten Hag
- Brighton had never won twice in a row at Old Trafford, until Erik Ten Hag

Worst start since 1974
Also
- Manchester United had never lost a CL game they were leading by 2 goals, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost a game they were leading by 2+ goals since 2014, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never conceded 4+ in two CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 9 of the opening 17 games since 1974, until Erik Ten Hag
- No team had ever give away 4 penalties in their first 4 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- No player as young as Roony Bardghji had scored against Manchester United in the CL, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 8 of the opening 15 games in a season since 1962, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 5 of their first 10 games at Old Trafford since 1931, until Erik Ten Hag
- Newcastle hadn't won a cup game against Manchester Uniteds since 1994, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost twice in a row to Newcastle since 1972, until Erik Ten Hag
- No post war Manchester United manager had conceded 20 goals to City and Liverpool in their first 6 games against them, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 5 of the opening 10 league games in 36 years, until Erik Ten Hag
- Galatasaray hadn't won a game on English soil in 117 years of existing, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never lost the opening 2 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never conceded 7 goals in the opening 2 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never conceded 3+ goals in back to back CL games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Galatasaray hadn't scored in or won an away goal in the CL since 2015, 3 in one game as soon as they meet Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost 4 of the opening 7 games in PL history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United haven't had as few as 9 points from the opening 7 games since 1989, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't conceded 4 goals in a CL group game in 28 years, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't conceded 3+ goals in 3 consecutive games since 1978, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never lost at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost the opening two away games since 1973-74, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't conceded more than one goal in 4 consecutive league games since 1979, Until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never conceded 2 goals in the opening 4 minutes of a PL game at Old Trafford, Until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never conceded 23 shots in one game at Old Trafford in PL history, Until Erik Ten Hag

They are the most pointless stats I’ve ever seen. Good copy and pasting though.

Worst start since 1974
Also

These records are so tiresome to me. Football changes and what used to rarely happen is now commonplace and vice-versa. Want to know who managed our biggest win since SAF? It's Ole's 9-0 over Southampton. It was our highest scoring game in the top flight for 27 years but it doesn't really mean anything.

He’s the right man for sure, just needs more time and proper structure
I just don't know anymore. The football is dire and he can't find a tactical solution to get our attacking players scoring, and it isn't because they're shite (well okay, Antony is).

Absolute mental stat given the last few months :lol:
Nothing mental about it. We finished with 75 points last season. Second highest post SAF. Mourinho first season tally was only 69 points. Losing 5 points out of that 6 point lead already, whereas Mourinho second season had the highest tally post SAF.

Not surprising. Both Klopp and Arteta took over during the season without their own signings, where the teams had been struggling under previous managers. Klopp got his Liverpool to two finals too (lost both), gambling by prioritizing EL over league campaign toward the end of said season. Gamble failed. They finished 8th with 60 points (Klopp got them 48 points from 30 games this season). Which means he got them 44 point from the next 20 league games. 2.2ppg). The ascendancy was clear into the new season, whereas our ppg this season has been poorer than last season (1.75 vs 1.97).

Considering the incredible negativity around him and how bad the performances have been, the points tally is pretty impressive. Good coach who shouldn't be allowed to pick players to buy. Still plenty of credit in the bank for me I think he'll build something good here. Buying Antony was pretty annoying though.

Hopefully he builds on it. I think he has a lot to think about in the international break. I don't think he presently knows the attacking style he's going to use for this team. Even in this game, we moved from a 4231 early with Eriksen to a clear 4141 when we brought on Mount. Hopefully we get a few players back and we can start seeing some good performances. I'd like to see how Kobbie Mainoo looks in this team.

I do think that eventually we will start having a bit more control of games like we did last season once we get Licha and Shaw back in the team. I can see us being really hard to beat again. However, I still have massive concerns with our ability to create chances effectively. Not simply through magic Bruno moments or set pieces, but building up to a chance. For me, that's the test of if he's actually good enough to lead the charge. I'm more concerned about performance than results at this stage as that will give us a guage of what to expect from him.

Could he play Shaw at LCB until Martinez returns and Reguilon at LB,doubt he will though

Look how Spurs did after just 1-2 injuries or suspension. We had more than 12 absentees and still only 6 points off the top of the table.

I can see Spurs and Newcastle dropping points. Liverpool can have an odd result from time to time. To be in top 4, we need to beat top 6 team. We have lost to City, Arsenal, Spurs this season already. We can't beat Arsenal and Spurs in the reverse fixture, top 4 is out of reach. Hopefully Rashford can discover his form from last year as it is much needed.

There are posters who are desperate to shit on ETH.
If you look at their post history, they never acknowledge the awful performances by any players. Or if they do, they still twist it as manager's fault. They blame ETH for Varane, never admiting Varane has been god awful this season.
It's always ETH. Never the players.

We win 1-0 against Luton with full control of the game and bad finishing - all the blame on ETH.
If we had won by 4-0, the same people would say "It's just Luton, doesn't matter".

Newcastle and Spurs have fallen apart at the first sight of suspension/injury.
Meanwhile we are forced to play every single game with different back 4. And we are doing okay.

Downplaying every achievement, exaggerating every failure. Calling the manager "fraud".
Sorry, but this is absurd behaviour, sickening at some points. During games when the team is looking good, the thread is silent, the moment something bad happens, it explodes.

Actually found it strange that we have picked up more points than any team in the last five games, which I’m sure is due to a favourable schedule, just doesn’t feel like it.

We’re the laughing stock of the premier league but we’re only 6pts of top. Imagine if we actually clicked.

Actually found it strange that we have picked up more points than any team in the last five games, which I’m sure is due to a favourable schedule, just doesn’t feel like it.
The issue is because we’ve had cup games in between and lost them. That’s why things look worse than they are. To be honest, we’ve lost to spurs, arsenal, city, Brighton and palace. Brighton and place are the only 2 we should have probably won really. If we’d of beat palace and Brighton we’d be joint top

I think it becomes more and more obvious why we had so many injuries. ETH overplayed the players.
Because he can’t trust the rest of the team/. I mean the ones he’s starting are useless aswell. He probably over trains them aswell but you can’t argue with that because they’re awful and need extra training to drill in his ideas. These players aren’t use to working hard..: that’s quite clear. We’ve had previous managers that have never been pressing managers so it will be tough for them.

Outside of City, everyone else up top has an insane list of fixtures ahead and nobody takes full points from them. So it's all up for crabs.

There are posters who are desperate to shit on ETH.
If you look at their post history, they never acknowledge the awful performances by any players. Or if they do, they still twist it as manager's fault. They blame ETH for Varane, never admiting Varane has been god awful this season.
It's always ETH. Never the players.

We win 1-0 against Luton with full control of the game and bad finishing - all the blame on ETH.
If we had won by 4-0, the same people would say "It's just Luton, doesn't matter".

Newcastle and Spurs have fallen apart at the first sight of suspension/injury.
Meanwhile we are forced to play every single game with different back 4. And we are doing okay.

Downplaying every achievement, exaggerating every failure. Calling the manager "fraud".
Sorry, but this is absurd behaviour, sickening at some points. During games when the team is looking good, the thread is silent, the moment something bad happens, it explodes.

This acceptance, an appreciation of what is simply not good enough or would be accepted at any other ambitious, massive sports organisation is a reflection of what is happening to some of the fanbase.

Newcastle and Spurs have hardly 'fallen apart'. Spurs are playing extremely well, under a new manager, and are battling out at the top, yes, the top of the league. Newcastle are also playing well, scoring goals, playing a positive brand of football and have a clear identity to how they are approaching their season. Injuries will afflict every team ... KDB has hardly kicked a ball.. Akanji, Stones at Citeh for example. But at least these teams have shown excellent form. City and Newcastle have beaten us up already this season.

We have injuries, but we also have Mount, Amrabat, Antony, Martial.. all been available and what has been the result?

Shaw and Martinez are out for some time and they will not change us into some free-flowing attacking, goal-scoring team.

ETH needs to sort this team out, and it', in my opinion, is quite clear that he is finding that difficult. Look at our performances under his management. We're rubbish. We (just about...) beat sides in the lower half or relagation spots. And that's acceptable for Manchester United?

He's bought himself time with these wins but sadly it's prety clear it's just delaying the inevitable. I do think it's likely we're going to go on a semi decent run and look like we're fighting for top 4 but aren't really. People just don't want to admit to themselves it isn't looking like he's the man to take us forward, same story as with all previous managers where there's a huge debate on whether they're good enough or not but once they are sacked the majority sees the situation for what it was. The football we're playing is absolute dross and has been for a long time now. I see people are clinging on to "best form" stats. How about us having a negative goal difference in last, what, 40 games or so? Even now we're "6 points off top!", with a game in hand and negative goal difference and with all the teams around us having scored twice as many goals.

For fecks sake, the only reason you write all this, is because our forwards can't finish for shit now.
What would you have written if Rashford had scored 5... Just 5 out of the at least 20 clear cut chances he has had the last 2 months?
Just 5 goals from this guy would have brought us at least 3 more points in PL and at least 1 more win in CL.
Martial? He is barely a championship player, the most useless striker in the world literally, what is ETH supposed to do, teach him how to run?

You judge ETH's work on the basis of what you imagine Manchester United should be. But you refuse to see the reality!

We've had a whole summer of constant uncertainty about our ownership. We've had Sancho being a baby, Antony having to deal with police in Brazil.

We've had and we still have a NIGHTMARE list of injuries.
We miss two of the essential players for this team - Shaw and Martinez.

Our best performers from last season are struggling.

We don't have a good senior striker to lead the line! Hojlund is great and the future of this club but he's struggling in PL. Who comes in? Martial? I'd take fecking Welbeck in the team ahead of Martial. Christ, I'd take current Berbatov.

Despite a million problems, in every game (maybe except the City one), we've done enough to win. We lost 80% of the games we lost, because of bad finishing, VAR and refereeing screwing us over and a bunch of individual mistakes.

What makes me happy is that the fans on the stadium applaud and cheer for ETH.
So in my books, he has the support that actually matters.
Because he will be successful here, even more than he is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.