Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate that he has zero personality. That was a wild game and he showed nothing on the sideline. Now he will give a basic interview and say the same cliched things

I don't think any other manager at a top 6 team has to deal with the amount of individual errors as the players we have make.

Even fecking Copenhagen don't make as many mistakes as our defenders and midfield make.

The entire backline is just a mistake waiting to happen.

That can also be a case of confidence though. If players are well coached and drilled, even limited players can be made to cut out mistakes. These are not some young inexperienced players, all are full internationals with plenty of experience under their belt.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting we’d be miles better with a few players back, but you’d be mad to think we couldn’t have a few extra wins with them in the team. And that would make a big difference to the narrative and pressure.

Just look at today’s game, you’ve got clear examples of how simply having a full back on the left would help. That first goal wouldn’t be scored with Lindelof at left back, like we had for a big run of games, I doubt the third is scored with Luke Shaw at left back.

Maybe he should have picked the left back he had on the bench then? You know, the emergency one we rushed through at the last minute to help cover for the injuries we had.

Might as well keep him so we could have a proper replacement strategy, as others have said do you really trust the Glazers to make the appointment this time around?

No, I don't trust them but we might as well roll the dice and bring in someone new despite the low probability of success. It's very obvious Ten Hag is not going to get this team to where we want it to be due to the structure of the club and his poor in-game management. We might as well get someone in who may at least bring in some good transfers as opposed to poor players from Eredivisie.

To be honest, you're not wrong.

I just hate all the excuses made for him. We've seen other managers come in and make an instant impact (even at fecking Spurs) but he's 18 months in, all his signings are basically shit (or injured) and a style of play is no closer than fecking Mars.

Exactly. I mean people are acting like we were at the Allianz tonight up 2-0 and got hard done. It's fecking Copenhagen, and we conceded 4 fecking goals AFTER going down to 10 men. Newsflash: being down a single player doesn't mean the entire match is over, and any decent team is able to play in a compact structure for a half without conceding countless chances and 4 goals.

He’s very much in the realm of having no complaints if sacked.

On one hand his luck tonight is completely fecked. Evans got injured and he had to bring Varane who seemed to justify the reason why he’s benched and being down to 10 men most of the game, and we’re missing lots of defenders.

And on the other hand, we seem to completely capitulate when we concede and it’s not the first time. I just knew as soon as we went down to 10, we were in for a disaster just like Sevilla last season. It falls apart so easily and so fast.

He maddens me yet I feel for him. It’s really weird.

He annoys me in the same way Bluetooth sometimes annoys me when I can't connect a device that should, by all logic, connect. It should work, everything I know says it should work, there's no reason why it doesn't, but it just doesn't. When it works, it's fecking fantastic. When it doesn't, it's a royal pain in the arse and you wonder why you bothered in the first place.

Can hardly blame him with these players. Some are stupid, some are lazy, and some just aren't very good at football. Some like Rashford are all three.

The way our players set out to sabotage and throw away that game was spectacular and its always the same story. Something braindead from Rashford, something clumsy from Maguire, Dalot losing his man. Every time.

Today is not a day to blame him. If we play Galatasaray and Bayern the way we played out first 40 mins with XI men, I think wel be fine.

But it's correct that he should have navigated prior games better.
Hate to be the one to break this to you, but we’re not going to be fine. We’ll be out of the CL before we even play Bayern.

Maybe he should have picked the left back he had on the bench then? You know, the emergency one we rushed through at the last minute to help cover for the injuries we had.
I’m talking about the season as a whole, while we had Lindelof there. Regulion wasn’t available.

I don’t rate Regulion any better than Dalot, but Shaw is quite obviously an upgrade.

A collection of stupid players and a manager completely unable to positively influence and control a game is a deadly combination. Shocking game management once again.
Other than maybe getting Amrabat in a bit earlier, what else could we have changed tonight? I think when you’re down to 10 for that long it’s inevitable that we’d give up initiative of the ball a bit.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting we’d be miles better with a few players back, but you’d be mad to think we couldn’t have a few extra wins with them in the team. And that would make a big difference to the narrative and pressure.

Just look at today’s game, you’ve got clear examples of how simply having a full back on the left would help. That first goal wouldn’t be scored with Lindelof at left back, like we had for a big run of games, I doubt the third is scored with Luke Shaw at left back.

It's subjective but I personally don't see many results this season with a fully fit team making a change. The only result I'd give you is maybe Arsenal because the performance could warrant a different perspective. The last four weeks there's been a theme of smash and grabs. The team hasn't put in enough performances wise where the foundation of good play, has been the substratum of good results. It's important to remember the recency of it all Martinez wasn't good even in pre-season and Shaw was drifting by games doing enough to not be criticised but also enough to not be praised.

My prediction for this season as I've stated on countless occasions is that I see Erik gone by March because his position will be untenable. The biggest issue isn't the results, it's that the team's poor performances have snowballed (since he cup final) rather than being isolated incidences. Injuries isn't fixing that, it's a cohesive issue that speaks more than player availability.

Performance was much better today however so despite loss the manager does deserve credit here and there. Erik has lost most of the confidence within me but it would be silly to be unreasonable with today's game.

Not a scintilla of composure instilled. Not an iota of passing patterns drilled. No instructions from the sidelines. No in game management from the bench. What the feck does he expect? How the feck is he so clueless? A rabbit in the headlights. A lamb waiting to get slaughtered. After 18 months and £400 million we find out that we got shafted again.

Makes as much sense as your post, really.

Trying to extrapolate results from the rare patch of good play in a dreadful season is the stuff of scouser delusion.

So in other words, even though we broadly played well today despite circumstances, you have a problem if a poster thinks we might still be ok IF we can keep that performance level up.

I know you're really in a pessimistic stage right now but there's nothing scouse like in knowing our team is capable of good performances.

You can shit on ten hag and the team all you want, you don't get any extra credit for being a negative hipster. I think we played alright all things considered and think we can do well in the remaining games IF we played alright in them.

Big fecking whoop :lol:

Can hardly blame him with these players. Some are stupid, some are lazy, and some just aren't very good at football. Some like Rashford are all three.

And the manager brought in Mount and Antony. He now believes those two are even worse than what you are describing! Can you blame him for that?

We went down to ten men so its alright to concede 4 times and lose from a 2-goal lead position. Gotta love the Caf. Might as well have just forfeited once we got the red card. No difference.

Since his first game in charge we have this propensity to collapse as soon as something bad happens. It just continues to happen all the time

We went down to ten men so its alright to concede 4 times and lose from a 2-goal lead position. Gotta love the Caf. Might as well have just forfeited once we got the red card. No difference.
Same players who did it away at Young Boys a couple of years ago. Wouldn’t the next manager just have the same issue?

Solskjaer did more for us than Arteta has done for arsenal. Didn’t hear anybody saying he should be given more time.
wait, did I miss something? Has Ole won us a trophy I'm not aware of?

The reason Ole was let go is because we were in relegation form in his 3rd full season in. Arteta was never this bad for Arsenal.

Hate to be the one to break this to you, but we’re not going to be fine. We’ll be out of the CL before we even play Bayern.
Maybe. Let's see. I found this performance better than the win we had vs copenhagen (obviously not the result). I also think Copenhagen are better than Galatasaray.

In some ways that's a worry because even IF we beat Galatasary and drew to Bayern, Copenhagen can still do the same and knock us out.

Mount for Hojlund seemed okay, but less if Bruno wasn't replaced by someone actually providing an outlet. Could have been any of Antony, Pellistri and Martial. I kinda thought that he wanted to go for a 4-2-1-2 like that until I noticed that Bruno (or even McT) stayed on the field.

I love ETH, but sometimes with these things he is so confusing, and so stuck to his captain. Was the same with Tadic before – though at least Tadic provided some numbers, and had more variety in his game than Bruno.

I’ll take your alternate options on good faith, but sections of the fan base would whinge to the hill about any of those subs:
Antony: what does ETH think Antony is going to do that Hojlund doesn’t do better?
Pellistri: why’s he putting pressure on the unknown lad?
Martial: Oh FFS we all know Martial doesn’t do anything!

For some ETH just can’t win; play them all the time and he’s running them into the ground, sub them and it’s the wrong sub (even though we have sweet FA in terms of viable options.

Well, I did say last time that you get to the stage where you ask what the point is. I think we got there even before tonight. Just cut your losses and run. This international break and no later. He's out of his depth. Currently floundering comically. There's no turnaround coming. Sad we've got shafted again, but we have.

Four Champs League games.

As a manager he's seen:

Two reds
Two howlers from Onana
Two massive mistakes from Dalot.
A load of injuries.
Four pens conceded(I think)

Say whatever you like about tactics etc, that's a load of craziness any manager would struggle with.

So in other words, even though we broadly played well today despite circumstances, you have a problem if a poster thinks we might still be ok IF we can keep that performance level up.

I know you're really in a pessimistic stage right now but there's nothing scouse like in knowing our team is capable of good performances.

You can shit on ten hag and the team all you want, you don't get any extra credit for being a negative hipster. I think we played alright all things considered and think we can do well in the remaining games IF we played alright in them.

Big fecking whoop :lol:
Come on. Even you yourself said we played well for 40 minutes only.

And before you come back at me with the red card excuse, City have beaten teams from drawing and even losing position and we were 2-0 up and within 10, we were at 2-2. Some of it definitely down to passive management and waiting and hoping rather than taking action.

I have said previously I try to be fair. I remember absolutely going in on OGS when we were away in the CL, Bruno crossed and Ronaldo got us 1-0 up and then AwB got sent off and we lost 2-1 against some scrub team from Austria or Switzerland.

What we've seen here today is no different. He's on a hiding to nothing and he's lucky we're not playing the Scouse lot until Christmas because they'd fill their boots at the moment against our bunch of clowns (again).

I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t have taken off the player that scored two goals when we needed a goal

So then in your version ETH is gone after for (a) not trying to change things up and / or (b) running a player with a back injury into the ground…

We were playing them off the park until the ref decided to give them and extra man and free pen to boot.

From playing them off the park to conceding 4 goals though. And they were really poor, both individually and tactically. I can't help but think we should have got something out of that game even with 10 men. We had a 2 goal lead at one stage, then went ahead with 15 minutes left. Unless you think no other manager could have managed that game better, then there can be criticism.

A truly good tactician navigates that one easily.

The thing that has consistently baffled me about Ten Hag has been his substitutions, sometimes they seem bizarre, sometimes they seem like desperation. That just doesn't change and that's what really worries me.

Safe to say there will be no money for transfers in Jan with no CL knockout money. Losing out on millions.

People still line up to defend him, we really have become liverpool

It's subjective but I personally don't see many results this season with a fully fit team making a change. The only result I'd give you is maybe Arsenal because the performance could warrant a different perspective. The last four weeks there's been a theme of smash and grabs. The team hasn't put in enough performances wise where the foundation of good play, has been the substratum of good results. It's important to remember the recency of it all Martinez wasn't good even in pre-season and Shaw was drifting by games doing enough to not be criticised but also enough to not be praised.

My prediction for this season as I've stated on countless occasions is that I see Erik gone by March because his position will be untenable. The biggest issue isn't the results, it's that the team's poor performances have snowballed (since he cup final) rather than being isolated incidences. Injuries isn't fixing that, it's a cohesive issue that speaks more than player availability.

Performance was much better today however so despite loss the manager does deserve credit here and there. Erik has lost most of the confidence within me but it would be silly to be unreasonable with today's game.
It’s very harsh on Martinez to ignore his performances last season and assume a handful of games this season is what we can expect. Who knows what condition his foot was in when he was playing those games. Not to mention, it’s also been plenty of others out injured through the first 10 games.

I do understand what you’re saying though, he should be doing better than he currently is, and it’s been a tactical mess in certain games. I just don’t think tonight was at all.

On this point, I still can't believe he hasn't focussed on good RB and LB in the transfer windows that he has had. Very naive and piss poor planning in his recruitment.

I agree with you

The man is not perfect and one thing I picked up on is that he is quite old to have never held a top managerial job before so he is basically learning on the job on how to be a big team manager

I cut him some slack for this but I do hope he learns faster because he really does have some blind naive spots to fill

But overall I still back him and believe he's the long term manager we need, just needs to learn quicker

Status
Not open for further replies.