Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murtough should get the sack before ETH anyway. Why is his job safe? Hire a proper sporting director and let's see if they can work with Ten Hag over the next two transfer windows.
agreed. Murtough and Arnold should go, followed out the door 10 minutes later by Fletcher. Time to actually get a DoF in... I mean a ral one not some male-believe figure

You also need a hard reset in your football structure. I'm afraid most managers would fail at United atm but I do believe Ten Hag inept management is making players alot worse than they really are.
This is important. One of the most essential problems we have as a club is that nobody seems to have yet figured out that "let's ask the gaffer who he thinks is quite good" is NOT a viable transfer policy.

Seriously, practically all of our signings under Ten Hag seem to have been players he's either coached before or rated because he saw them play in the Eredivisie. Casemiro is the only big exception I can think of here, and it hardly takes an extensive scouting network to come up with that name.

Thing is, I genuinely don't think our scouting system is to blame here. We have a huge number of scouts on the roster, and they cover practically the entire globe. We've recently been credibly linked to players like Moises Caicedo, Enzo Fernandez and Julian Alvarez before they got their big European moves. The issue as I see it is that the club ALWAYS fecking defers to the manager on transfer policy, which essentially renders this scouting completely useless.

Murtough should get the sack before ETH anyway. Why is his job safe? Hire a proper sporting director and let's see if they can work with Ten Hag over the next two transfer windows.
I would agree if ETH would have showed us that the team has improved last 16 months. sadly it has not.

Of course it's fecking is.

Don't know if the report is true though. Don't think the players would turn on him except probably the ones he wanted to get rid. And tbh I don't think Maguire or McT are very popular in the dressing room anyway.

I would agree if ETH would have showed us that the team has improved last 16 months. sadly it has not.
Ten Hag is clueless and a terrible man manager in my opinion but there must be a hard reset of all football structure. Anyone involved in the last 10 years must be gone. Fresh blood and ideas needed.

No one has issue with the managers approach he can be as disciplined as the words very definition but that has nothing to do with coaching a field of 11 players to be successful. It's standards not tactics, but when you hear the manager in interviews he merges the use of the term standards when the questions answered are implicating tactical means.

Perhaps that could be the issue overemphasis on standards but a lack of clarity with instruction.

Everyone wants the Glazers out but nobody has the 20 or 30 odd billion needed.

The Glazers are drinking all of our tears and enjoying it. Stop wishing for the impossible.

I think Anorim is going to be a great coach but coming here and expecting him to operate under the current structure? It would derail his career. Same with De Zerbi. They're the type of coaches you bring in once you have the proper structure finely tuned to their needs.

EtH deserves to work under a proper structure as well. Hopefully it will be so.
If not, we will continue this circle.

Shaw, Onana, Varane, Martinez, Lindelöf, Shaw, Mount, Garnacho, Højlund, Mainoo. The rest can go.

We've seen fans and media alike say the same things over and over again regarding the player/manager relationship.
At United, due to our past, the blame for poor performance is always pinned on the players. You have people talking about players consistently doing this despite the fact that it's a different set of players each time. This isn't Mourinho's Chelsea in the late 2000's with the same core. The squad has gone from the left overs of Fergie, to the Pogba era to the Fernandes era.
We no longer have Fred, CR7, Greenwood, De Gea. Lindelof, Maguire, Mctominay, Sancho and Martial don't start games regularly.

When people are talking of players in this current squad: Onana, Varane, AWB, Licha, Shaw, Casemiro, Bruno, Rashford and Antony are the main core. Almost all of whom have performed well over Ten Haag's tenure. Most of whom have had successes at various stages of their career, known to be tough and to work hard. Bruno, Casemiro, Licha and Varane are the leaders of this team. They aren't the same players that played under Mourinho. Yet fans and media alike keep talking about player power and the players doing this again.
Similar to some players, we need to have the same assessment of our managers. If a manager fails to get a tune out of players at the club, that's on the manager. Why can't we accept that theres a good chance we just got the wrong guy for the job?

Antony played well at Ajax, as did VDB, but have been terrible in a faster, more physical league. Same for Sancho. Why doesn't the same rule apply to managers. Why is the expectation at United that inherently they are smart and have good strategy, but the players aren't good enough to carry them out? Theres a good chance his strategy doesn't suit the league. There's a good chance that he can't keep up with the urgency expected at United. His communication may have worked at Ajax, but the language barrier may hinder it here, why isn't that possible? This is the territory a lot of other teams have faced and the solution, despite the media narrative, has always been to get rid of the manager until you find the right one. The club should be doing a better job in managing the players we sign, but on the pitch, the buck should always stop with the manager and that's a lesson we keep struggling to understand as a club.

This isn't to say that managers shouldn't be given time. They should, when they have a system in place that they have proven can and has been successful. In 2002, Fergie was having a difficult time, but we had a system that even in that period was still working, despite defensive mistakes that were hurting us. We were dominating games, but losing or drawing games. Mourinho in 2007 had a good system, they just didn't fly off the blocks like they were used to. Ancelotti (Chelsea) in 2011 had a system that had worked, but it was clear that some of his key players had aged and needed to be replaced which the Chelsea hierarchy didn't give him a chance to do. Ancelotti (Madrid) in 2015 played good football. He had proven himself and his system. His team played well, but didn't win. This is what wrongful sacking looked or would have looked like. That's not what's happening currently at United.

Just pull the trigger you clowns. He's had enough time. Beating Fulham means nothing, we could play shit and win. You've given him all the backing in the world, where is the accountability? Just put us out of our misery and move on.
I’m hoping you‘ll keep him till we play you at the City Ground at Xmas. 3 easy points if are as bad as you were last night.

You also need a hard reset in your football structure. I'm afraid most managers would fail at United atm but I do believe Ten Hag inept management is making players alot worse than they really are.

Without a doubt. Our players are better than they're showing and ETH has made some ridiculous decisions. One obvious example is signing Casemiro, who is one of the best at what he does in a midfield 3, and then trying to play him in a completely different role and setup.

There's many examples. Tactically he's hung the players out to dry on many occasions.

Not sure what this article means about Maguire situation. He's atrocious in the previous 2 seasons. The reason is down the pecking order and was up for sale. Can't have a captain that is not starter forever.
I think it’s referring to the way Ten Hag treated him and other players behind the scenes. There’s a suggestion Maguire never got any help to improve and was just labelled shit and must be sold instead of the manager actually doing his job.

Of course it's fecking is.

Don't know if the report is true though. Don't think the players would turn on him except probably the ones he wanted to get rid. And tbh I don't think Maguire or McT are very popular in the dressing room anyway.

De Gea, Sancho and Maguire all popular I think. Sancho with the English lot including Rashford. De Gea with most of the squad, the Poruguese players, Lindelof etc.

One thing i've heard some revisionism of when talkingg about giving ten hag the same time as arteta is the myth that by the same stage arteta had a well honed style of play. By artetas second full season, he also had the benefit of taking over mid season 18 months before which allowed him plenty of time with his team in circumstances where little was expected - they took heavy beatings from better teams, managed only 61 goals, conceding 48, and got dumped out of cup by a championship side in the first round.

I think he needs time. He's signed 6 players and had plenty of loans. There's a solid core of youth coming through that he can mould - mainoo, hannibal, garnacho, diallo, with the right mix of experience is a promising prospect. I truly do not believe hiring the next flash in the pan will solve anything. Another couple of windows is needed for sure. The squad remains far too poor.

I had a look at your posting history and it seems you really hate ETH simply because you're a big fan of Conte and Conte didn't get the job. Don't take me wrong you're totally entitled to your opinion. However as I said I'm getting tired of biased people so let's agree to disagree then.

I get it you have no point to say but since you have a huge free time you decided to search through my old posts ? Talk about obsession.

I would call it a bit more than the bare minimum, the results were indeed a good season. 3rd in the league, won a little cup, that's really not bad.

But by the end of last season some weaknesses also have been very obvious, and it was clear that EtH needed to make a step forward. That's what he failed at, the ideas he had to improve performances simply backfired. And he is running out of time to fix this.

Considering :

a) Our run in both cups involved no top 4 team at all until reaching the final.
b) Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea had a crisis in the league.

Finishing top 4 and winning the League Cup is literally the bare minimum to achieve.

So who tweeted and then deleted that United had refuted the story

I give up. I don't know who to be angry at anymore. Who are the good guys again? Owners, assholes. Manager? Asshole. Players? Assholes? Caf? Don't push me, lads. I need a hero, as Bonnie Tyler said. One, honest, no bullshit character who's doing everything they can do in the midst of this maelstrom of shite. Rasmus is the closest I've got. I'm going to rebuild one individual at a time.

People who make these sort of remarks about Winter baffle me. Arguably the only decent football journalist left in this country.

His tweet is just pandering drivel though.

Get the glazers out and give Rat 100% control - never happening.
Get rid of the deadwood - we've been doing that forever. ETH has signed a load more.
Get characters in - as above

People who make these sort of remarks about Winter baffle me. Arguably the only decent football journalist left in this country.

Anyone sensible enough to backing EtH and look at the bigger picture is the enemy for some. Disgraceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.