Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unai failed at Arsenal when they had the exact same problem as United.
Player's power, club has no direction. If he couldn't fix it there, he wouldn't fix it here
Unai's ulter failure was the reason Arsenal decided to stick with Arteta to begin with.
Totally agree.

Doubt it's even an argument for "keeping him" per se; it's more of an educated guess after 10 years of mediocrity under the current club structure.

However historically we have improved at the beginning of new manager reigns. Albeit temporarily. So we might as well change a failed manager instead of sticking with him until we’re terminal.

Also, it increases our chances of landing a “jackpot” where a coach really works out. Like it happened with pool and Klopp.

Wait - so now we're back to conspiracies about player power? The guy has had the backing of both the club and fans when it comes to curtailing bad behaviour and shipping players off/banishing them regardless of status - What's this about player power now?

Can't it just be that the coaching isn't good enough, the players aren't good enough and the targets he identified, wanted and bought aren't good enough?

That’s not a great argument for keeping him at all.
It actually is because keeping him through the period of struggle can plausibly bring results. More plausibly than sacking and starting again for the 100th time.

However historically we have improved at the beginning of new manager reigns. Albeit temporarily. So we might as well change a failed manager instead of sticking with him until we’re terminal.

Also, it increases our chances of landing a “jackpot” where a coach really works out. Like it happened with pool and Klopp.

Liverpool put in place a proper structure when they appointed Klopp and Michael Edwards was responsible for a-lot of their early successful signings. Klopp was also highly sought after and Liverpool booted out Rodgers when they knew they could get him.

Us appointing another new manager - using our scattergun approach - to get a brief new manager bounce is just groundhog day. The squad needs a massive overhaul and we need a proper sporting structure in place to appoint and support a new manager.

ETH needs now to show some b a lls. Drop Fernandez, Rashford & Anthony. Put Mount as the playmaker with Casemero & McTominey holding defensive. Bring in a couple of youngsters - there are more than enough. Play Garnacho & Holjund for the full 90mins. Do it now since playing as you are you will soon be out of a job.

Why is he saying we’ll never play like his Ajax side? When he first came in he said he wanted to play a possession based style. Are we forcing managers to play a set way? Why not let him play his style just like Liverpool and City let their managers. Each manager should have their own style of play and implement it no matter what players you have… he should be buying players to fit his style. Surely him buying halve of his Ajax team means he wanted to play the same way..

Why is he saying we’ll never play like his Ajax side? When he first came in he said he wanted to play a possession based style. Are we forcing managers to play a set way? Why not let him play his style just like Liverpool and City let their managers. Each manager should have their own style of play and implement it no matter what players you have… he should be buying players to fit his style. Surely him buying halve of his Ajax team means he wanted to play the same way..
Maybe he abandoned the idea when he couldn't get De Jong in. De Jong could of been the start of the jigsaw to play that type.

Either way he could of spent 400 million on players that play that type of football. No excuses.

Maybe he abandoned the idea when he couldn't get De Jong in. De Jong could of been the start of the jigsaw to play that type.

Either way he could of spent 400 million on players that play that type of football. No excuses.

do you remember Van Gaals obsession with Strootman? Must be Dutch thing to build whole systems around a specific player

That's a massive mistake. He was signed BECAUSE of the way he had Ajax playing. That was the attraction...If he's now saying the players can't or won't adapt, then what's the point of him being here? Utd may as well rehire Ole....

Absolutely. That’s what makes me wonder if the club have said you have to play a certain way..: but I remember LVG and Mourinho playing their own styles here.

That's a massive mistake. He was signed BECAUSE of the way he had Ajax playing. That was the attraction...If he's now saying the players can't or won't adapt, then what's the point of him being here? Utd may as well rehire Ole....
Agree mate. Just find it hard to believe with 400 million he spent he couldn't get players in to fit his style.

Exclude Martinez he the only one that can play out from the back with ease and can break the lines with his passing. Eriksen not bad signing either but everyone else question marks.

You do wonder was he told by the idiots above when getting the job, listen we have Rashford and Bruno are main men, we need to find a system the works to their best abilities. Both of them as we know are brainless in keeping the ball

Agree mate. Just find it hard to believe with 400 million he spent he couldn't get players in to fit his style.

Exclude Martinez he the only one that can play out from the back with ease and can break the lines with his passing. Eriksen not bad signing either but everyone else question marks.

You do wonder was he told by the idiots above when getting the job, listen we have Rashford and Bruno are main men, we need to find a system the works to their best abilities. Both of them as we know are brainless in keeping the ball
Extended Bruno at the early of ETH reign last season did give in to the idea. Now Rashford's also renewed with a mega contract, there is no escaping from building a team around them.

I don't know. All of them?

Do you think someone tells Pep or Klopp who to get in the transfers and how to play? Do they have a "philosophy" in Spurs?
This is quite plainly not true, at Liverpool and City the manager has only been a part of decision making on transfers and I very much doubt pep has much of a role in identifying their transfer targets

Spurs have been a basket case in recent years so would likely have benefitted from having a vision in terms of how they want to play

Fair enough. Thanks!

What I would say now that even I, an ardent ETH defender, is that club management should be now in the process of vetting names like Flick in the event the downward spiral intensifies and sacking ETH becomes a necessity.
I can’t disagree with this. Because it does happen. Good managers, great managers even, sometimes get in a downward spin and simply can’t get out of it.

I hope EtH manages to hang in there long enough to come through this terrible spell. Assuming he does, eventually, it should give his plan some momentum and affirmation.

I’m sick of starting again, from the beginning, over and over.

This is quite plainly not true, at Liverpool and City the manager has only been a part of decision making on transfers and I very much doubt pep has much of a role in identifying their transfer targets

Spurs have been a basket case in recent years so would likely have benefitted from having a vision in terms of how they want to play
Pep absolutely does have a role in identifying transfer targets. It’s a well coordinated, collaborative effort at City. Giving Pep what he wants is key to making it work. It’s not specifically because it’s Pep, it’s the whole idea of supporting the manager and not thinking about “him” and “us” but working as one cohesive unit.

Extended Bruno at the early of ETH reign last season did give in to the idea. Now Rashford's also renewed with a mega contract, there is no escaping from building a team around them.
Those guys are our most productive attackers over a long period. I’m more than happy with them in the squad. The rest of the attackers have to step up and force EtH to drop Bruno and Rashford - sometimes at least. The quality isn’t quite there at the moment but, in the meantime, those two can certainly win some games for us if they just hit some form.

People turned back on him very quickly. I still thinks he can turn this around and changing manager at this moment is ridiculous. However I do hope he will start and drop players that don’t perform.

You know that ‘cmon do something’ meme with the guy and the stick? It feels very much like that at the minute.

Make a change, drop someone, give a youngster a run of games. Sub Nick Powell on. Do something!

People turned back on him very quickly. I still thinks he can turn this around and changing manager at this moment is ridiculous. However I do hope he will start and drop players that don’t perform.
I don't think United should get rid of Ten Hag right now.

But the situation is pretty bad. Even if Ten Hag can turn it around, the odds that he can achieve this season's objectives are already very low.

I don't think United should get rid of Ten Hag right now.

But the situation is pretty bad. Even if Ten Hag can turn it around, the odds that he can achieve this season's objectives are already very low.
We can, and will, lower our objectives.

During his tenure we have a goal difference of +10, embarassing
And I don't see it improving. If the Glazers don't want to sack him they should sign a top class striker like Toney in January to bail him out, otherwise there will only be one end to this.

Not a TenHag fan at all, but last season we had a great defence (our goalkeeper had won the golden glove and he has not found a club yet, which says a lot) but had one loan championship striker and another striker who was injured most of the season.

Not defending the stat as it’s a very poor return.

But a fairly sensible explanation would be the previous manager had Rashford/Martial/Greenwood + Carvani and Ronaldo taking care of the goals.

EtH had to bring Weghorst in on loan. Imagine the goal difference if Rashford didn’t have the season of his life last year.

Goal scoring was my biggest concern at the start of the season, with most fans agreeing United needed 2 forwards, and that was even before the Sancho/Antony dramas.

Not defending the stat as it’s a very poor return.

But a fairly sensible explanation would be the previous manager had Rashford/Martial/Greenwood + Carvani and Ronaldo taking care of the goals.

EtH had to bring Weghorst in on loan. Imagine the goal difference if Rashford didn’t have the season of his life last year.

Goal scoring was my biggest concern at the start of the season, with most fans agreeing United needed 2 forwards, and that was even before the Sancho/Antony dramas.

Is this a defense of ETH? Because you are saying "not defending ... BUT ... "

ETH brought Wout who had just one positive thing going for him: he is Dutch.

And what about this summer? ETH gave 70 million for a 20 year old and 60 million for Mount. We were all worried about goals, but it seems the only person who did not worry at all was ETH!!! Did he expect Mount to be the main scorer?

His reign will look absolutely terrible in hindsight, I feel like right now people are just deluding themselves into thinking a lot of the on pitch problems aren’t his fault. They are.

I can’t disagree with this. Because it does happen. Good managers, great managers even, sometimes get in a downward spin and simply can’t get out of it.

I hope EtH manages to hang in there long enough to come through this terrible spell. Assuming he does, eventually, it should give his plan some momentum and affirmation.

I’m sick of starting again, from the beginning, over and over.
He's not the one, it's been evident for some time, the lack of a system of football, the lack of a spine, the lack of fecking goals and the games we have won since the cup have more or less been backs to the wall for the last 10 mins.

You mention being sick of starting over again, im sick of it being blinding obvious that the coach is done and our board are like out forwards and aren't vicious, I'd rather start tomorrow than wait till the scousers hammer us.

Didnt Jose already try all this. He didnt rate Rashford as a United striker, he didnt rate Martial, he wanted Pogba and Lingard gone too.

Yeah and the football geniuses in our fanbase and running the club turned on him for it. I said at the time I trusted him over the club to be right as he earned that trust, unlike Woodward etc. He was the only manager post Fergie that had any standards and held people accountable.

It's baffling that so many fans were unwilling to listen back then. They'd fecking love it if he was here right now giving out some home truths.

Not a TenHag fan at all, but last season we had a great defence (our goalkeeper had won the golden glove and he has not found a club yet, which says a lot) but had one loan championship striker and another striker who was injured most of the season.
We still shipped a metric feck ton of goals. I understand the lack of a striker but, there was enough attacking talent to share the goals around. We had 1 player scoring the bulk of our goals and absolutely no one to supplement. Surely, Anthony, Weghorst, Sancho (he was available the back half of the season) should have been able to chip in a few more than what they did.

That says that there is no back up plan to help the striker out. And Ten Hag couldn't figure how to get the team score. I dunno, most teams can usually find a few ways to spread the goals out when your striker is misfiring.

Logic would dictate that continuing to do the same thing will change nothing.
But this also implies, that there is a thing, that will change something. Thats not the case though. We can cycle through a million managers, it is only one part of the machine.

Don't know if it has been posted in here, had no time to catch up but I think, this really nails down the current situation. Right now, we are in limbo, in between several ideas of football. The key decision is what to prioritize, short term onfield success or long term onfield success. Obviously, that is the case for every club in the world, but I think, we are really far behind the pack here. To me, that is the actual debate to have right now, not if we just roll the dice again. To be where we are right now in 2 years time... caught in an eternal struggle to get CL and implement modern football principles.

Yeah and the football geniuses in our fanbase and running the club turned on him for it. I said at the time I trusted him over the club to be right as he earned that trust, unlike Woodward etc. He was the only manager post Fergie that had any standards and held people accountable.

It's baffling that so many fans were unwilling to listen back then. They'd fecking love it if he was here right now giving out some home truths.

Problem is that he wasn't good enough either and his transfers were pretty bad too.

His career post United proves that even further.

Logic would dictate that continuing to do the same thing will change nothing.
It’s a really simple question imho… can anyone genuinely say that Ten Hag is the man to lead us back to full time glory ?! Sadly it’s a no, if after 18 months we are still looking puzzled by the huge regression in both results / players and now his transfers it won’t suddenly change to prime Fergie anytime soon! Next please…

Status
Not open for further replies.