Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. By that stage we will be out of UCL and out of top 4 (well 5) race. It is what we did with Mourinho and Ole, so obviously we should try it again.
We were still in the champions league when both of those managers got sacked.

Our fanbase are far more patient than most top clubs. Look how long Solskjaer was supported for.

Madrid and Barca fans would already be calling for the managers head if they started a season like this.
Madrid and Barca would probably have sacked him by the end of last season. Winning the Mickey Mouse cup (or in some cases the league) does not give infinite credit to managers there.

Some fans are an absolute disgrace. Was ETH backed in the summer, no. So what do we do sack him, get another manager in then in 2 years sack him again. The issues is the Glazers.

The problem is there are a lot of folks in this thread that say silly things like De Zerbi has Brighton playing like this after a short time, when Brighton have been building towards where they are now as a club for years, under potter and now DZ, he came into a well oiled machine and provided some incremental improvements.

There are fans on here who genuinely believe DZ could have come in instead of EtH and had us playing great football overnight, despite it being clear how unsuited most of the squad was to doing so, not to mention the fractured dressing room and player power. It's total nonsense. DZ would be no better off right now, that's assuming he would still be here after having to battle the huge egos EtH has had to, not to mention the players he inherited.

Saddest thing about this game is that we were chasing shadows for the last 15 minutes of the game, we literally couldn't win the ball if we didn't foul their player and stopoed the attack.

It feels like he simply doesn't understand premier league football.

last season we were extremely lucky that spurs, chelsea, liverpool were all underperformed and the draws for our domestic cups were laughably good. honestly i think even if we faced Villa away in the league cup we'd lose. we cant expect the same luck this season.

We were also extremely lucky under Ole that he had weird COVID football and top teams underperforming.

I'm not defending ETH. I judge managers objectively and last season he done relatively well, and this season has been tragic so far.

Is there any alternative out there, that would somehow be a good fit to the mess of a squad we've assembled? Of course there isn't.

I'm sure the next manager we bring in will be the magician that will turn things around. Because that is what we need. Not a decent coach surrounded by a competent club. A magician that can pull trophies out of thin air

I’m not sure what positives come with keeping him long term. More losses with big score lines, more ex players that aren’t at our level signed.

Keep. He's a top manager that needs a better structure at the club.

No manager can succeed given the current issues surrounding the management and ownership of the club. Everyone knows it.

:lol:

Good first season, then sack him right after the transfer window closes, few games into the second season. Would be a bit of a Boehly Chelsea move that.

Nah, because the glazers will just hire yet another inadequate manager and we’ll be back at square one.
I think he will get sacked, probably not that soon as the fixture list is quite kind in the coming weeks but from that City game onwards it’ll get messy again and he’ll be gone by December.

I know people want to say it's the ownership and structure of the club, but as the biggest net spenders in the world over the last 10 years we should at least be able to put a decent team out on the pitch. So out of the following which is it ?

The players we have are really not very good, and not good enough for a top Premier League team ?
The players aren't giving it everything, they are not motivated ?
The players don't know what the plan is, so it's just all uncoordinated ?

I'm at a loss. I think it's lack of commitment and coaching - but I'm guessing.

I mean it is an ownership/structural issue because we’re again expecting a manager to come in a build a team in his image. If it doesn’t work, then what? Sack ETH, then what? We throw out half of ETH’s signings and let the new manager build his own team. When that inevitably goes tits up, then what? Open heart surgery, right?

last season we were extremely lucky that spurs, chelsea, liverpool were all underperformed and the draws for our domestic cups were laughably good. honestly i think even if we faced Villa away in the league cup we'd lose. we cant expect the same luck this season.
Yeah, but, still better than ole

What doesn’t help for me is I think Ten Hag’s targets have been dodgy. So much money and for what.

I still want to see how we look when everyone is fit, but that’s ages away and we look very average. I am worried.

Madrid and Barca would probably have sacked him by the end of last season. Winning the Mickey Mouse cup (or in some cases the league) does not give infinite credit to managers there.
Madrid and Barca have a group of players that are a lot better than ours -especially last season.

10 away losses in 21 games.
So we have won away from home?
Thanks.

Micro analysing will get you nowhere. In his debut season he won a cup and achieved more points than Ole did in the season he finished 2nd. Have some respect and back a manager with actual pedigree.

Keep him, but it's not looking great. We're in for a tough season.

Yeah. This. I guess.

The alternatives are either not appealing or downright laughable.

So, yeah - keep, sure.

(I'm honestly losing interest. For years now I have said that the "manager" isn't the problem, so whether ETH does slightly worse or slightly better than expected is really neither here nor there. I will say this, though: there is nothing whatsoever which indicates that he's some kind of genius capable of transcending the fundamental problems at United.)

ETH is no better than Ole.

Both got lucky with their league finishes due to other clubs having a meltdown.

Ole lost a final on penalties. ETH won a league club and only faced Newcastle.

He's still better by virtue of actually winning something and amassing more points. ETH looks a mess this season, I have no issues there.

Hard to believe he went a year and 31 games without defeat in Old Trafford with such a flaky group of players.

The reaction of the players when going down 1-0 today really stank the place.

We have to keep him. He might not have us on the quickest or most direct of trajectories but at least we should be moving forwards. Getting rid of him and his ideas would mean another reset which is nothing but a horrible idea. Get it together mates, you might be frustrated but we have to go through the pain at some point. So many bad decisions in the last years, we simply cannot expect to cut the corners.
Give him time, let the injuries go away and judge when it is fair. I think, there was a lot of injustified praise (probably a reason, why a few fans now acting out full throttle) but it is what it is.

What doesn’t help for me is I think Ten Hag’s targets have been dodgy. So much money and for what.

I still want to see how we look when everyone is fit, but that’s ages away and we look very average. I am worried.
Don't need everyone back, it's still a quality squad. We finally have a striker there. We have a ball playing goalkeeper. There's no more excuses. It's time to get them playing.

Clearly the manager isn't the issue when we have seen this match on repeat for the last 10 seasons.

Exactly. Starts from the top. There is absolutely no leadership from the top. Giving the manager full reign on decision making doesn’t work in this day and age. We are so far behind the times even Brighton are way ahead of us. It’s embarrassing.

This is a myth. Spurs and Chelsea were in worse places than united. They are playing much better football than us. Guardiola would love to come to a club and be allowed to sign players he want and be giving time to implement his philosophy

I'll reserve judgement on both clubs after the season. Chelsea doesn't look good at all.

He's still better by virtue of actually winning something and amassing more points. ETH looks a mess this season, I have no issues there.
The cluelessness is amazing. We looked better last year but with new additions, we somehow look worse.

I'd rather sack a few players and members of staff. Oh just off the top of my head; Martial, McTominay, Maguire, Murtough...Even Arnold shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt. The scouting department has needed sacking for more than ten years.

It's at the point where you could pluck players out of the under 21's who are better and more effective footballers than those mentioned above.

While we are not ruthless, or managers aren't given full free reign to be utterly ruthless, we'll always be mid table bound regardless of who the manager is.

It’s pretty pointless sacking him at this stage but he already looks like someone just trying to fight fires rather than building towards something.

The problem is there are a lot of folks in this thread that say silly things like De Zerbi has Brighton playing like this after a short time, when Brighton have been building towards where they are now as a club for years, under potter and now DZ, he came into a well oiled machine and provided some incremental improvements.

There are fans on here who genuinely believe DZ could have come in instead of EtH and had us playing great football overnight, despite it being clear how unsuited most of the squad was to doing so, not to mention the fractured dressing room and player power. It's total nonsense. DZ would be no better off right now, that's assuming he would still be here after having to battle the huge egos EtH has had to, not to mention the players he inherited.

How do you think Mr. Pigeon would do as manager given18 months ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.