Enzo 'Terry' Fernandez | Vice-Captain of Chelsea

Not really - if it's being portrayed incorrectly by the media, it's fine to call it out, but the fact he's being maintained as the or one of the vice captains, considering the fact that there have been, you know, events between last season and this one, is an issue. It's not like there's not been several cases of captains being stripped of the captaincy for disciplinary (and I'd say less serious) reasons, so it's just utterly moronic for Chelsea to not have just announced he'd no longer be a vice captain. Kinda shows that if you have the right level of profile, you can get away with a lot of things.

It's genuinely concerning to see how this seems to be going in the direction of being brushed under the carpet - emphasis on "seemse to" as there might be repercussions still, but it's seeming to take a lot longer than necessary.

He's not being rewarded with the vice captaincy but he's also not being punished at all for singing a racist song.

Not being punished with the removal of vice captaincy status would be a better way to put it, and sure that can be criticised, and it would be fair criticism imo, I agree with you there.

I said it's just noise, because nothing has actually changed. He was already one of the captains, so throwing up headlines that suggest he is being rewarded with the vice captaincy is nothing but pointless noise.

It doesn't surprise me, though it is disappointing, that Chelsea will seemingly try and quietly move on and hope that no-one ever brings it up again.

5th most expensive player of all time.

Hes been beyond average for Chelsea.

Been watching him for 2 years. Still don’t know what his best attribute is or what his best position is. And definitely don’t know why Chelsea spent so much on getting him.

Type of player that's a cog in a very well run machine rather than the turbo to kickstart and power them on.

Benfica have got to be hosting the best parties with the transfer delegates who deal with signing their players or something. So many heists they’ve committed in the past 10 years.

Benfica have got to be hosting the best parties with the transfer delegates who deal with signing their players or something. So many heists they’ve committed in the past 10 years.
They probably have to pay Mendes about 90% of it.

How in the name of feck did he not get banned? Absolutely ridiculous.
When you consider some of the fines and bans the FA have dished out for innocent errors of judgement (I’m thinking of the Cavani situation here) the way this Enzo situation has been ignored is baffling

And the other 10% probably goes to the South American clubs they’re buying from!
I thought Benfice should have made more money regarding net income, but they managed to spent quite a lot on average players over the years. I thought they should be loaded by now!
But as you said, it is doubtful that they bought 100% of the players' rights and their agent fees should be astronomically as well.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/benfica-lissabon/alletransfers/verein/294

Been watching him for 2 years. Still don’t know what his best attribute is or what his best position is. And definitely don’t know why Chelsea spent so much on getting him.
e2f724af64b6154ee60036a2d50ede5c.png

Pass volume and progressive passes

Hes good, he just doesn't really fit in to Chelsea's midfield. None of the three that started there yesterday do, really.

For the majority of the game midfield wasnt their problem. They had the majority of possession in the first half and slightly less in the second half. They had plenty of the ball in and around the City box and chances to get on the scoresheet and ended up with 1 less shot than City

Enzo did however get into those areas himself and alongside Jackson had some poor touches and product from those areas. Both should have done better with chances that they had

And Caiceido and Enzo both got beat by Kovacic for the 2nd goal. With Lavia on that hadnt been happening that both CMs were getting beat but when they took him off it did happen with him probably being their best player on the day

For the majority of the game midfield wasnt their problem. They had the majority of possession in the first half and slightly less in the second half. They had plenty of the ball in and around the City box and chances to get on the scoresheet and ended up with 1 less shot than City

Enzo did however get into those areas himself and alongside Jackson had some poor touches and product from those areas. Both should have done better with chances that they had

And Caiceido and Enzo both got beat by Kovacic for the 2nd goal. With Lavia on that hadnt been happening that both CMs were getting beat but when they took him off it did happen with him probably being their best player on the day

For me Lavia has almost played himself into the undroppable category. I actually think we could have gotten a point yesterday, if Maresca had kept Lavia on, and instead moved Palmer central and subbed on Madueke for Enzo.

But I get it, Lavia hasn't played for a year. He needs to be eased back.

They massively overpaid for him, but I do rate him. I really don't think they use him right at all though. He's a Frenkie De Jong type, but that's not what they seem to think.

They massively overpaid for him, but I do rate him. I really don't think they use him right at all though. He's a Frenkie De Jong type, but that's not what they seem to think.
If by FDJ type you mean over priced, overhyped and has failed to perform in a big team in a big league, yes he's a FDJ type. In terms of style of play he's nothing like FDJ.

It is weird that seemingly another manager is looking likely to not use him correctly. He’s good, they overpaid and now don’t want to get the best out of their investment.

It is weird that seemingly another manager is looking likely to not use him correctly. He’s good, they overpaid and now don’t want to get the best out of their investment.
I'd be surprised if this is how the team sets up on a regular basis. We'll know more on Thursday but it feels like playing Enzo as a 10 was a specific choice to try to compete with City in the centre.

I'd be surprised if this is how the team sets up on a regular basis. We'll know more on Thursday but it feels like playing Enzo as a 10 was a specific choice to try to compete with City in the centre.

What do you think is the way to get the best out of Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia, that also includes Nkunku, Neto, Jackson and Palmer in the lineup?

Enzo played as a 10/in the hole for River setting up chances. It was only when he went to Benfica they played him in a midfield 2. Argentina had De Paul and McAllister as their 2 CMs with Enzo in front again like at River.

He's not like De Jong he is an attacking player who wants to get into attack

What do you think is the way to get the best out of Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia, that also includes Nkunku, Neto, Jackson and Palmer in the lineup?

Only way to get all 7 of those guys in the lineup is to play Caicedo at right back and have him invert into midfield (possibly not that crazy...?). Barring that I think you have to pick a midfielder to drop - and even then I'd probably adjust the positioning to put Jackson on the left, Nkunku as a 9, Palmer as a 10, and Neto down the right. With Nkunku and Palmer on the wings we had no one running in behind consistently.

Is he just not very good?

It depends on what you mean by "good". He is definitely very good at some things (in particular, long passing and passing through the lines), but I think his problem is that in some ways, he's a player born in the wrong time. He'd probably have been great in the 90s, but systems (and, consequently, player roles) have changed somewhat. Most teams now build from the back, with the CBs being the ones primarily responsible for switching the play. Most oppositions sides you come up against now will also have an organised press. For the deepest midfielder, this means that in possession you are now mostly receiving the ball facing your own goal or on the half-turn, under significant pressure, and out of possession, you are tasked with covering a large space in defensive transition. Lavia is really good in these situations, which is why he has looked so much better than Enzo in deep midfield (and why Enzo finds himself shunted up to #10, where his long passing is negated and he's forced to operate in tightly congested spaces, which really doesn't suit him as he needs time on the ball).

Not being very press resistant and not having the physical capacity to cover large spaces isn't necessarily a disaster for a midfielder like Enzo, if your reading of the game and spatial awareness enables you evade the opposition pressure or position yourself intelligently to snuff out counter attacks (see Zubimendi), but Enzo doesn't strike me as a particularly intelligent player (or man). Maybe some of that can be coached into him, but I have my doubts. Either way, his limitations mean he isn't a great fit for for the system Maresca seemingly wants to play.

Hire Ancelotti.

That's a somewhat flippant remark, but Don Carlo does seem to find a way to get the best out of deep-lying playmakers with limitations in their physicality/mobility (see Kroos & Pirlo). Basically, you surround the playmaker with hard working players who can run all day, win the ball back and generally act like little bodyguards for your prized asset (see Gattuso/Casemiro/Camavinga etc).

Chelsea footballer Enzo Fernandez has been disqualified from driving following two driving offences.

He was fined £1,000 per offence and ordered to pay £110 in costs to Dyfed-Powys Police and South Wales Police respectively.

He must also pay a surcharge of £800 for the offences, bringing the total to £3,020.

For both offences, he received a total of 12 penalty points.

These are in addition to the nine penalty points already on his licence.

Sentencing, Mr Wyn Edwards said Fernandez would therefore be disqualified for a period of six months.