Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Amrabat was as good as him in the World Cup, both the best midfielders of the tournament by far...but Amrabat didn't have Messi on his team, so Morocco couldn't beat France.

Enzo is actually so good he confuses people. People compare Enzo to Casemiro or Amrabat because they think he is more of a defensive player. Enzo's ability to combine, vision, long rage passing skills are on a different level compared to them. Plus he can defend well, but not at these people's level.

I think Amrabat was as good as him in the World Cup, both the best midfielders of the tournament by far...but Amrabat didn't have Messi on his team, so Morocco couldn't beat France.

Lot of money though, i think nationality plays a big part, argentinian, portuguese,french and brazilian players are ,generally, more expensive than the rest.
They're completely different players amrabat is a destroyer of which we have a player in casemiro while Fernandez is more of tempo setter while being quite versatile.

Bleak...

Hopefully mate but assuming laurie Whithwell is correct it's not looking good for us.

:mad: He's one of the very few midfielders I actually like the look of.

The transfer fee works out at sometime like £12m per season when you look at the years ahead.

What's the plan then? We're also being linked to Rice and Bellingham who are also going to cost close to or over £100m each.
Bellingham has quite clearly got no interest in us (when he left Birmingham he accepted a training ground tour by United but not us which is very telling) and hopefully if this happens we stop pursuing Rice.

This guy has been a tremendous talent for some time. The world cup conveniently came at the right time for Benfica.

Benfica 's CL performances aren't fluke . They have a solid core with some brilliant players.

The transfer fee works out at sometime like £12m per season when you look at the years ahead.
Definitely mate, talents like don't easily come around but if Whitwell is anything to go by were so short on cash that we weren't even willing to meet the gapko price demand a player whom I don't fancy much to be honest but our jan prospects are not looking good at all.

Shame we could have finally had a WC top 5 midfield after so many years.

What's the plan then? We're also being linked to Rice and Bellingham who are also going to cost close to or over £100m each.

Rice isn't even in the same ball park in terms of talent when it comes to Bellingham and Enzo.

For Rice he's going to be waiting a while IMO he was dumb to sign that contract.

We were linked with both him and Bellingham before they went elsewhere. Could've avoided this entirely.

Bellingham has quite clearly got no interest in us (when he left Birmingham he accepted a training ground tour by United but not us which is very telling) and hopefully if this happens we stop pursuing Rice.

It still feels wildly excessive to drop over £100 on this guy, as much as I would absolutely love to see him at Chelsea. I guess I have to just block out the money involved in these fees and just enjoy the players for what they bring on the pitch. I know it's a bit late to start doing that in 2022 but it seems like players are being valued at 100m left, right and centre these days.

Same here. He appears to have a lovely balance of skill and tenacity / engine. Given he's just 21 his ceiling should be extremely high.

Rice isn't even in the same ball park in terms of talent when it comes to Bellingham and Enzo.

For Rice he's going to be waiting a while IMO he was dumb to sign that contract.

There's a reason he's still at West Ham, despite having top 6 clubs very interested in him for the last 2-3 years. He knows he needs to run his contract down.

Only £25 million for MaGuire, who like Fernandez had a good World Cup?

That is a £50 million loss on MaGuire, £30 Million loss on AWB and another £20 million on VdB. On top of the £89 million spunked on Pogba is it surprising that there is very little money in the Utd coffers.

Cannot take you seriously when you write Maguire's name as "MaGuire".

Also note that you should probably also learn to spell Bruno's second name correctly, because we have a youth player, showing a lot of promise, called Fernandez.

That is a £50 million loss on MaGuire, £30 Million loss on AWB and another £20 million on VdB. On top of the £89 million spunked on Pogba is it surprising that there is very little money in the Utd coffers.

Luckily there's fiscal years and that was ~5 years ago

We're mismanaged and up for sale.

It still feels a little out of control how Benfica and Porto keep flipping £10m signings into sales ranging from £60-100m. They're unbelievably good at leveraging that SA pipeline.
We were linked with both him and Bellingham before they went elsewhere. Could've avoided this entirely.
Or Benfica are clever and their connections in South America to grease the correct wheels to achieve the purchase of players like Fernandez is way advance of anything United's got. Maybe United 's team in SA sent back info that River Plate only wants 15m and the hierarchy went he can't be that good if they are only wanting that.

It's like @glasgow 21 said, these clubs are modern in their approach to getting deals done, just like Brighton trumping us for Caicedo not being scared off by needing to get your hands dirty and wade into the mud to get these types of deals done. We rarely played street-smart before.

Fernandez will be another one that got away as we need an attacker in summer more than a CM with credible free future options in Mainoo, Hannibal & Iqbal all fitting the ball-carrying Box-to-box engine with passing range role that remains open behind eriksen.

Although it would be great to get a top player, after getting Cas & Eriksen, CM is not the priority position to spend £80m+ in midfield this summer.

We might be willing to pay the money but I'd be surprised if this transfer happens. Supposedly he wants to play with Benfica in the CL knockouts.

Seems our best bet is hope he stays until the summer and we get our takeover done before then.

We might be willing to pay the money but I'd be surprised if this transfer happens. Supposedly he wants to play with Benfica in the CL knockouts.

Yeah that's my take as well. Even with the supposed willingness to pay the clause I very much doubt the deal will actually happen.

Will be more options for the player to choose from in the summer to get the best available package so finishing the season with Benfica would make a lot of sense. Then again we did land Nkunku by pouncing early before any other club could make their move so I wouldn't completely rule it out. All depends on what the player wants.

Cannot take you seriously when you write Maguire's name as "MaGuire".

Also note that you should probably also learn to spell Bruno's second name correctly, because we have a youth player, showing a lot of promise, called Fernandez.
Suspect he’s trolling, that MaGuire/McGuire/MacGuire thing is done to death

Considering Alvarez and Enzo played together at River Plate wouldn't it be fun if City bought him

How come transfer fees have not normalized by now? 100+ millions for this guy is insane.

Do we think this extortion happens only for PL clubs? If Real or Bayern come tomorrow, does benfica quote the same price for them as they do for us?

if you follow american sports in particular the Dodgers ....this should come at no surprise that Boehly is willing to invest heavily to be successful. He's been doing it for years with the Dodgers and there is no doubt he'll be doing the same for chelsea. This is what 105m and they are looking to spend an additional 35m on the CB from Monaco.

It still feels a little out of control how Benfica and Porto keep flipping £10m signings into sales ranging from £60-100m. They're unbelievably good at leveraging that SA pipeline.
I think United are missing a trick in not having a feeder club somewhere in Europe where we could make punts on these promising south american/african players and develop them to the standard required for United. Somebody like Pellistri could be serving his apprenticeship there playing real minutes in a competitive environment so that their development doesn't completely stall if they don't get first team minutes straight away.

FFS. I've wanted this guy badly for months but made peace with the fact we couldn't get him when the stories of Liverpool's pre agreement came out.

Now I'm being set up for disappointment all over again
I think hes very good, although do agree with others the fee is a bit over the top. But Im not surprised at the kind of money and amout of bids Boehly and co are throwing around, we were told pre takeover its the kind of owner he is. Albeit in baseball, not football

Its why the American contingent told us he is the owner we want, not the Ricketts etc

Re-read the first line mate. What did I say?

He's got an engine like Arturo Vidal did IMO, is as competitive and he can run and pass the ball very very well.

He will part of any top midfield, worth the money. He's one of those signings you don't want a rival to have.

You said similar about Antony and whilst I’m still hopeful he’ll come good I’m not convinced he’s ever going to be a €100m player.

You said similar about Antony and whilst I’m still hopeful he’ll come good I’m not convinced he’s ever going to be a €100m player.

Depends how you judge €100m. These days clubs pay that money for a young starter with big potential.

€100m isn't getting you a prime Ronaldo anymore.

Look at Chelsea right now, or any clubs like Barca, they have to spend heavily to close the gap especially if the clubs not run well.

Sure there's massive talents out there but you have to take a risk on them before they go to a feeder club.

Antony I don't really have doubts over, but I think we're talking years for him to reach his potential, and Enzo he's still 21.

I think hes very good, although do agree with others the fee is a bit over the top. But Im not surprised at the kind of money and amout of bids Boehly and co are throwing around, we were told pre takeover its the kind of owner he is. Albeit in baseball, not football

Its why the American contingent told us he is the owner we want, not the Ricketts etc
Yes and no, while ofcourse it's a big price he's close to a Hazard 2012/Kante 2016 level of sure bet for me (I know they were so much cheaper but still).

Then when you consider the fact Rice won't be much if atall cheaper and any midfielder even fit to lace his boots would be atleast £50m, then it doesn't feel that outrageous in context.

The only criticism I would have is we maybe should have had the foresight in the summer (I say maybe as Benfica would have had an advantage over us for obvious reasons) and tried to get him direct from River.

That said I don't want to get too hopeful just yet, I think from his perspective it will be very tempting to stay for the season and play UCL knockouts with Benfica (a dark horse to win it if he stays in my opinion) and to win them the title. If he stays till the summer we will likely face too much competition for him (Liverpool and United could in all possibility have sugar daddy owners by that point).

115m£ for Enzo, 80-100 for rice, you still need a striker. I think that's insane spending even for Chelsea. Don't forget the wages you have to pay.
Yes, but remember the unique situation the terms of our sale coinciding with the last year of the old FFP put us in. We can and therefore should pack as much investment into this year as possible.

I don’t think the money itself is an issue. We still haven’t reached the dollar amount they spent to buy out contracts so people would leave the team when they took over the Dodgers; we are talking 300m + of completely dead money that they considered well worth it.

Again, they have a very detailed 7 year plan just for the first phase of their project.

The wage structure issue is, however, more relevant. Not because the money is an issue, but because they know the problems an undisciplined wage structure can cause a team. You have the negotiations still ongoing with Mount as well. So if there is anything that could derail this it might be negotiations with the player.

Although, I was under the impression we had several meetings with Mendes on this subject before moving to trigger the release.

Id doubt there is even an actual bid yet as theyd have to disclose it publicly. Im sure they and porto do this

That price is absolute bonkers.
Agreed.

He's a solid player but is he really much better than Eriksen/Casemiro right now?

We aren't really in a position right now to be throwing £100m on the next fancy toy.

Give it another year or 2 and there will be another Fernandez on the line for way less. The world cup has made people go silly.

It's so obvious how this (and the January whole transfer market will play out): we'll hold off claiming to be confident of making the signings in the summer. In the meantime, we'll fail to make top 4 due to lack of necessary immediate signings, and then be unable to make the aforementioned signings in the summer due to lack of CL football. Murtough and co will then go into full gaslight mode and claim that the summer 2022 outlay was enough to secure CL football. Depressingly, pundits and some fans will agree with that and hold it against ETH.

Chelsea scattergun approach continues. They have no transfer strategy, just randomly jumping on players.

Their forward line is shite, or should I may say dog shit. Southgate's son, Lampard's son, the american guy and some other shite. 3 goals each per season.

But yeah let's buy Enzo Fernandez for 110m bones, a no name central defender and another Fofana.

Depends how you judge €100m. These days clubs pay that money for a young starter with big potential.

Look at Chelsea right now, or any clubs like Barca, they have to spend heavily to close the gap especially if the clubs not run well.

Sure there's massive talents out there but you have to take a risk on them before they go to a feeder club.

Antony I don't really have doubts over, but I think we're talking years for him to reach his potential, and Enzo he's still 21.

100m isn’t getting prime Ronaldo because Ronaldo is a one off mostly, but with 50m-60 you can still get a Kulusevski, Diaz, Jota, or a Partey Casemeiro or a Caicedo maybe, just because other clubs chose to overspend and chose to spend their money far from wisely doesn’t mean that’s a precedent others in the market should follow.

£100m is getting close to world record transfer fee amounts and is definitely not chump change. Personally I feel a price that high also acts like a millstone around a young players neck (see Sancho & Antony) and actually hinders their settling into a higher profile environment along with everything else they’re having to adjust to.

As for comparing us to Chelsea and Barca I’d argue neither of those clubs have spent wisely buying galactico names and in Barcas case handing out huge contracts alongside. They’re playing us in the Europa league after going out at the first hurdle in the CL. Let them throw their money around like a drunken sailor on shore leave, we don’t currently need to be buying every hot new thing.

We have a midfield that’s perfectly fine for a couple of seasons and some very promising players coming through in that position, I’d say we don’t need to be caving in to unrealistic demands for the next big thing in a position that’s not our highest priority.

Where we are most definitely not ok is striker and we have nobody coming through the ranks. That alongside there being a striker drought at the moment means it’s probably going to be a very expensive position for us to fill as we’re not the only team looking for a good one.

We are all hoping the new owner is wedged and comes along and buys us lots of new shiny toys but that’s not guaranteed yet, until it is, the reality is we currently have budget constraints. Also whilst FFP is largely a joke it does need to be paid lip service at least. Spending €200m on two players who are not worth anything like that and who will likely take some time to reach their peak, whilst not addressing the other more pressing issues would be silly.

Yeah he is way too expensive now. 60-70m max for a midfielder should be what we should be prepared to pay as we will need the funds for a striker in the summer.

Could wait and see if we can get Rovella. Similar age and he reminds me of Kroos a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.