English cricket thread

It's just shite bowling and shite tactics from England, we've seen them do it plenty of times regardless of who they pick or what pace they bowl.
Agree. Root seems a lovely lad and he's created a really good team environment, but he seems a fairly average tactician.

Without wishing to reopen the can of worms about Wood-Archer, this is exactly why you have a 90mph bowler in your team.
If we're picking someone to knock the tail over it should be Rashid. We shouldn't pick someone to knock the tail over though.
The point is you want a bowling arsenal that offers plenty of options. England have gone into this game with very few. And it is costing them at the fag end of the Pakistan innings.
Naseem will soon show what 90mph does in these conditions - I suspect it will be quite spectacular.

The point is you want a bowling arsenal that offers plenty of options. England have gone into this game with very few. And it is costing them at the fag end of the Pakistan innings.
Naseem will soon show what 90mph does in these conditions - I suspect it will be quite spectacular.
England should pick Naseem Shah, I agree.

It's embarrassing. We can talk about the challenges test cricket faces all day but when they're actively sabotaging matches in this way I despair.

Is it that they're afraid of lawsuits? I can't think what else it could be.

Fairness? But who knows because that would rule out asking captains to bowl spinners.

It's daft, what was the rationale for this system over the old one, can anyone remember?

Fairness? But who knows because that would rule out asking captains to bowl spinners.

It's daft, what was the rationale for this system over the old one, can anyone remember?
That one match in Karachi where Pakistan wasted so much time on the final day that the umpires kept them out even when their fielders couldn't see the ball?

That one match in Karachi where Pakistan wasted so much time on the final day that the umpires kept them out even when their fielders couldn't see the ball?

That was in the days when batsmen were offered the light, wasn't it? But I guess there is a safety issue for fielders too, you're right.

Perhaps a hybrid system where there's various reading thresholds would work? The current reading meaning the batting side can come off if they want when artificial light takes over, a lower reading where the fielding side can come off at, and a final reading where it's so dark the umpires take the decision out of the sides hands.

Interesting comment on cricinfo about why matches can't start a bit earlier than 11 am local time given that there isn't any crowd. I'm sure broadcasters would be more interested in more game time and could be flexible.

That was in the days when batsmen were offered the light, wasn't it? But I guess there is a safety issue for fielders too, you're right.

Perhaps a hybrid system where there's various reading thresholds would work? The current reading meaning the batting side can come off if they want when artificial light takes over, a lower reading where the fielding side can come off at, and a final reading where it's so dark the umpires take the decision out of the sides hands.
It was, yeah. England obviously weren't gonna take the light, cause they could win the series. Pakistan kept complaining and the umpires told them it was up to the batsmen and they should've bowled their overs when it was still light.

I don't see anything wrong with your idea. I do hate it when we come off to 'protect the batsmen', when they want to keep playing.
Interesting comment on cricinfo about why matches can't start a bit earlier than 11 am local time given that there isn't any crowd. I'm sure broadcasters would be more interested in more game time and could be flexible.
In England the ball did too much at half ten. Surviving the first half hour was a hell of a challenge.

All the comments on the beeb's live text are 'just use the pink ball'.

Could we? How bad are the pink balls? I've not seen much of them, at all.

All the comments on the beeb's live text are 'just use the pink ball'.

Could we? How bad are the pink balls? I've not seen much of them, at all.
They’re quite lively under lights, but do seem to go softer quicker during the day.
Considering it’s not a day Night test they they won’t change to pink balls.

We could surely try
Yeah. I'm up for trying most things. I hate that the world's second most popular sport is so often such a nightmare to follow. You plan your day around watching it and then they decide it's a teensy bit too dark so it's not happening. I don't think we can do much about the rain but the light issue really seems like something that could've and should've been fixed years ago.

Such a shame this test will end up being washed out, as I would love to have seen England bat under pressure vs Pakistan attack in these conditions.

Deeply ironic that game cant be played because of light and rain, in that the 6 days preceding it were the sunniest and hottest of the entire year.

Last edited:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29666462/cricket-dark-ages-issue-bad-light

Good piece as always from Dobell.

Here's an idea: why not stipulate that, if the light meter drops to a certain level, the umpire can ban bouncers until it improves? Surely that's the main issue isn't it?

I think they could do similar to ODIs where you’re allowed 2 bouncers/over. Otherwise banning bouncers or saying you can only bowl spin disadvantages the bowling side significantly.

Personally I don’t understand the issue here. They have floodlights, use them! These are international cricketers who have played at least 1 night game in their lives. What’s the issue with turning the floodlights on & changing to a pink/white ball? I love Test cricket, but it’s nonsense like this why it’s losing popularity.

I think they could do similar to ODIs where you’re allowed 2 bouncers/over. Otherwise banning bouncers or saying you can only bowl spin disadvantages the bowling side significantly.

Personally I don’t understand the issue here. They have floodlights, use them! These are international cricketers who have played at least 1 night game in their lives. What’s the issue with turning the floodlights on & changing to a pink/white ball? I love Test cricket, but it’s nonsense like this why it’s losing popularity.
There are swings in fortune throughout the game though aren't there. A team can be asked to bat first on a green pitch, only for it to miraculously improve for the other side. It's all part of the rich tapestry of the game.

Surely with a bouncer ban and the pink ball we're covered.

Yeah surely.

It's surely not, beyond the realms of cricket ball manufacturers, to produce the 'Duke and Kookaburra ect' balls in pink, to at least give these Test Matches more time on the pitch. It's a bit embarrassing when the lights are available, the pitch is good, but the light against the traditional red ball, calls it a day mid summer afternoon!

It's just not Cricket!!

They should just cancel this test and use next two days for some unofficial ODI type games. Or a one innings each game, say 75 overs each.

Else, weather permitting, it will be very boring and worthless.

But no way ICC or ECB would be that creative.

They should just cancel this test and use next two days for some unofficial ODI type games. Or a one innings each game, say 75 overs each.

Else, weather permitting, it will be very boring and worthless.

But no way ICC or ECB would be that creative.

In the County Championship you might expect some forfeited innings/0/0d's or the setting of an agreed target for a final day chase if it was in the interest of both teams. Yorkshire and Middlesex negotiated a chase of 240 in 40 overs in this championship decider in 2016:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...csavers-county-championship-division-one-2016

Yorkshire bowled some filth to allow Middlesex to set that agreed target.

The ICC will not permit such agreements because of match-fixing, case in point:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...5th-test-england-tour-of-south-africa-1999-00

In the current circumstance I think the best thing the ECB can do is make the last test a D/N test?

Mental that they didn’t declare. Chasing the series, runs are on the board, time running out and there will be another 10 min delay for the innings change.

6 deliveries at the #11 & not a single yorker.

All done for 236. Very good effort by Rizwan considering where we were. Bowlers should enjoy these conditions. Hope the weather stays clear.