England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This England squad is pretty bad

the squad is good, the set up and tactics are dreadful. Stones, Walker, Foden recently won the treble and just won the prem. Bellingham just won the double at Madrid and la liga player of the season. Kane just finished the bundesliga top scorer. It’s criminal to put in a performance like that with the players in this squad.

Here's a good tactical analyses of England by the always very knowledgable Football Meta:

Key points: Most of England's attacking players like to receive the ball into their feet and dropped deep to do so but there were no players who like to make runs inbehind or move into the areas Foden and Bellingham they leave vacated when picking up the ball which lead to Kane being isolated and the wide players Trippier and Saka being outnumbered in possession. Since the opponent's defense line wasn't really occupied or pinned back by movement, the midfield was pressed and particularly the not so pressing-resistant Alexander-Arnold suffered because he couldn't really make his strengths count.

In essence, England were too static. It seems the team wasn't selected in a way that they "naturally fit together" and complement each other intuitively but there were also no tactical instructions to fix these issues.

I said that during the first game itself. England's 2 best players in the last 2 tournaments have been Sterling in 2021 and Rashford at the WC because they'd stretch the back line. Saka, Foden, Kane and Bellingham aren't those players.

If you have no threat in behind, you have no way of keeping a backline honest

I've seen people saying that now the others could get some game time and win themselves a place. Palmer, Mainoo, Wharton, etc.

Thing is, we saw that it doesn't work like that under Southgate. We saw in the last tournament Rashford outperforming everyone as our backup, and his reward was a last minute substitution against France.

Apart from Gallagher in for Trent, this will be our team.

Glad to hear Rio, Gary and Shearer basically saying Southgate's tactics are and always have been shit. Though it's a bit ridiculous Gary and Shearer are saying that now after wanking Southgate off in their podcast before
But we can't land all the blame on him. We have massive overrated our players and squad balance.

I think the Trent experiment is done.

The worrying thing is that the sub indicates Gallagher will start now. Mainoo and Wharton are our last resorts.
It’s so fecking typical of Southgate.
“I subbed TAA off for Gallagher last game so I’ll do it again”
The bloke is a simpleton.
That said we were so poor in not sure what either mainoo or Wharton could have done, we were cooked by 55 minutes.

Not even got the basics right, will be getting his P45 promptly when we go out with a whimper.

I said that during the first game itself. England's 2 best players in the last 2 tournaments have been Sterling in 2021 and Rashford at the WC because they'd stretch the back line. Saka, Foden, Kane and Bellingham aren't those players.

If you have no threat in behind, you have no way of keeping a backline honest
Yes and we would be better playing like that now, but competition is higher this time, and I still think by the quarter finals we are struggling hard.

This England squad is pretty bad
Really? Half of that squad has just won a title, top goalscorer. It’s the manager with his awful tactics. Pep or Klopp win this tournament with this team

I'd rather have Liz Truss in charge than Southgate.

England's players look absolutely knackered compared to the other top teams. Like they can't be bothered to run.

Tournament experience > one season wonders.

No way in hell do Rashford, Sterling, Grealish offer less than the majority of subs made here.

With the exception of Guehi the new guys are like rabbits in the headlights.

Taking off Kane, Foden, Saka and TAA for Bowen, Eze, Gallagher and Watkins is absolutely mind-blowing.
Trent deserved to come off. I’d have brought on Mainoo though not Gallagher. Watkins made some decent runs and stretched their defence.

Huge question marks over Southgate but English players are not what we think they are either. We’ve nearly always looked like this in major tournaments regardless of the players.

Also Bellingham was the worst I’ve ever seen him.
The minute anyone got close to him he collapsed in a heap asking for a foul.
Almost Ronaldo esque

I’ve defended Southgate up to a point in terms of how well he harmonised the squad, got the media onside and helped us pass that mental barrier in terms of getting to semi finals and finals but his choices are utterly baffling.

Playing TAA in midfield when he’s clearly not suited to it, refusing to change it for one and a half games and then bringing on Gallagher to run around like a headless chicken. It’s just brainless. There’s no movement off the ball. Everyone on the left wants to cut inside so there’s no width. It’s fecking grim to watch.

The peds flush out the system pretty darn fast don't they?

Somehow look like Decrepit FC (Manchester United) without a United player on while they face Eriksen and Hojlund

Needs to make some changes in the final game. If we continue to persist with the same line up, it will cost us. I don't even think Southgate has to be that radical. Getting in Mainoo is vital for our chances, possibly even Wharton. We need more quality on the ball in midfield and actual midfielders. If Shaw is fit, he should get at least half an hour too.

I think the wide positions can change, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's too important whether Foden/Eze/Gordon start at LW.

Personally I'd go with this team for the Slovenia game:

Pickford
Walker, Stones, Guehi, Trippier
Rice, Mainoo
Saka, Bellingham, Gordon
Kane​

The key is the midfield and getting Shaw back.

Imagine leaving Palmer and Gordon on the bench on a tight game like this. :lol:

Regardless of systems, players or whatever you can't play the game at walking pace. Shame it wasn't on itv because Keane and Neville would've been absolutely frothing. No one was pressing, no was running in behind, no overlap, no drive from midfield, nothing. Just plodding around playing square or backwards passes-and a lot of them went astray. By the time we tried to rectify it, with the new front 3, it was too late the side had fell in a rut

Denmark themselves were guilty of this in the 1st half, only improving after going behind. I kept wondering if it was fckin baking in the stadium or something. It was so flat and lethargic.

Only minor positive is dispite being fckin awful Denmark kill us off. England were there for the taking today

England's players look absolutely knackered compared to the other top teams. Like they can't be bothered to run.
If you're a United fan you should know what this is. It's bad coaching, not laziness.

But we can't land all the blame on him. We have massive overrated our players and squad balance.

He has been in charge for a long time and the performances have always been like this. There are teams worse than England, player for player and still perform better

It's his fault if he feels the need to play both Bellingham and Foden for example when it's obvious that it's not ideal. Playing TAA in midfield is stupid

He has been in charge for a long time and the performances have always been like this. There are teams worse than England, player for player and still perform better

It's his fault if he feels the need to play both Bellingham and Foden for example when it's obvious that it's not ideal. Playing TAA in midfield is stupid
I completely agree with you, but it doesn't help when we declare we have the best or one of the best squads.

Pickford
Walker, Stones, Guehi
TAA, Rice, Bellingham, Gordon
Saka, Kane, Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.