England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like Southgate is actually picking players on merit rather than his usual favourites.

Has England ever looked better on paper?

Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Palmer to support Kane.

Woah.

What time is the squad announced? I don’t like this stuff with a new player leaked every hour. Just give me the final squad to review at once.

And Grealish definitely shouldn’t be in the squad.

What time is the squad announced? I don’t like this stuff with a new player leaked every hour. Just give me the final squad to review at once.

And Grealish definitely shouldn’t be in the squad.
2pm.

How's Bellingham form been lately? In the last rounds of CL I wasn't at all impressed.

I think he’s a bit of an overrated footballer personally. With Mbappé coming in will be interesting to see how he does in the actual midfield at Real. I think he’s good, but I don’t think he’s this best player in the world contender at all.

Perhaps it’s largely stylistic for me, but as an actual midfielder, he can’t see Pedri for me.

Maybe he can spend the summer either getting another club or getting his head together and come back ready and fully focused. Might be a good wakeup call for him.

Yeah it will either serve as a wake up call for him or give him further reason to sulk and feel sorry for himself, it’s up to him. On his form this season he doesn’t deserve to be anywhere near the squad though.

I just remembered how rattled everyone got the last euros about fans singing it's coming home :lol:

I just remembered how rattled everyone got the last euros about fans singing it's coming home :lol:

With this tournament being in Germany it will happen again. Europe doesn't understand irony.

How does Shaw get in when he's been out injured for so long?
Probably not great news for us.

Burnley isn't a top club - Pickford, Henderson and then Butland from Rangers would be fine and all playing for their clubs regularly.
None of our goalies play for the top clubs, Henderson is at Palace, Pickford at Everton, surprised at Stafford as he ended up dropped. It is more as you say that the first two are playing regularly. I feel sorry for Butland as he has done well at Rangers.

Is Rico Lewis being included? He'd be a surprise omission given the lack of decent options at LB and he has played for England this season. More of a sub for Man. City of course but that's never stopped Southgate before.

He's more of a RB/midfielder, and England are spoilt for choice on that side. Think he'll be in the squad in 2 years but this tournament is a bit too soon

How's Bellingham form been lately? In the last rounds of CL I wasn't at all impressed.

Apparently he was carrying an injury recently?

But yeah he's not been great since January IMO. Only considering England form he starts, but overall Foden's been better

Yeah, although I sort of understand Trafford over Butland as Trafford is a future England keeper, whereas Butland's time has gone. Henderson over Ramsdale would be fair though.

Butland is 31, his time has hardly gone and Trafford has been shocking this season. There are no signs he is a future England keeper at all. I'm just bemused by the selections.

I think he’s a bit of an overrated footballer personally. With Mbappé coming in will be interesting to see how he does in the actual midfield at Real. I think he’s good, but I don’t think he’s this best player in the world contender at all.

Perhaps it’s largely stylistic for me, but as an actual midfielder, he can’t see Pedri for me.
Kroos retiring will have Jude play as a more conventional CM ?

Butland is 31, his time has hardly gone and Trafford has been shocking this season. There are no signs he is a future England keeper at all. I'm just bemused by the selections.

Nonsense. He's (Butland) never going to be a starter for England. Trafford won the tournament with the lower age groups and definitely has potential to be in contention for future tournaments and being the starter once Pickford retires.

He's a year older than Pickford. Butland looked promising in 2015, but he's never really fulfilled his potential. He couldn't get in the team at Palace and has had to drop down to Scottish Premier League level to start playing regularly again. He's never going to be Englands number one!

Nonsense. He's (Butland) never going to be a starter for England. Trafford won the tournament with the lower age groups and definitely has potential to be in contention for future tournaments and being the starter once Pickford retires.

He’s been dropped because he has been shite this season. You want a sub goalkeeper who is playing regularly so he can step in if needed not someone warming the benches or has been dropped because they are shite.

He's a year older than Pickford. Butland looked promising in 2015, but he's never really fulfilled his potential. He couldn't get in the team at Palace and has had to drop down to Scottish Premier League level to start playing regularly again. He's never going to be Englands number one!
it’s more about having someone playing regularly who can step in if needed. Pickford will be the number one.

Status
Not open for further replies.