England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laughing at certain media making a big deal out of Henderson not being selected which is a surprise to absolutley no one surely.

Shaw being included is a bit daft considering he hasnt played football in months but shows how light England are at LB.

I'd don't know why he wouldn't just bring Doughty, Dan Burn or Colwill for left back and forget about Shaw and Chilwell altogether.
Shaw is the skeleton key tactically. With him the lineup and framework are easy and straightforward, Southgate gets to play his best players in their best positions and roles

Without Shaw, he's gonna need to rethink a lot of things

Eze has higher G&A than Gordon, not far behind Saka and plays for an infinitely lesser team but I wouldn't take 3 keepers personally

Gordon offers something all the others don't though, lightning pace. I do prefer Eze as a player but for this England squad, I'd pick Gordon.

And only taking 2 goalies would be an incredible gamble.

I haven't watched Palace all that closely but what kind of midfielder is Wharton? Is he a DM? If so, he probably has a very good chance of getting in the squad, with no Henderson or Phillips, it looks like there is a gap for another defensive minded midfielder to join Rice and Mainoo.

I haven't watched Palace all that closely but what kind of midfielder is Wharton? Is he a DM? If so, he probably has a very good chance of getting in the squad, with no Henderson or Phillips, it looks like there is a gap for another defensive minded midfielder to join Rice and Mainoo.

It's too late for Wharton. Southgate won't be calling up anyone who hasn't already been in a squad. He's far too conservative.

Gordon offers something all the others don't though, lightning pace. I do prefer Eze as a player but for this England squad, I'd pick Gordon.

And only taking 2 goalies would be an incredible gamble.
I don't think it's even possible to take two keepers. I vaguely remember a country trying it at the WC but they were told they couldn't.

Shaw is the skeleton key tactically. With him the lineup and framework are easy and straightforward, Southgate gets to play his best players in their best positions and roles

Without Shaw, he's gonna need to rethink a lot of things

Shaw is a waste of space. Should be booted out of Utd and should be nowhere near the England squad.

He's like Mainoo, ball moving guy fron deep. Kind of midfielder England's been crying out for, like Mainoo

Eze has higher G&A than Gordon, not far behind Saka and plays for an infinitely lesser team but I wouldn't take 3 keepers personally - Can't think of a time its ever been beneficial and more attacking players allow you more scope to change a game

He wasn't called up so no harm in going down that route.
It's usually a requirement to take 3 goalkeepers.

It's too late for Wharton. Southgate won't be calling up anyone who hasn't already been in a squad. He's far too conservative.
Apparently he's in the provisional squad, although no idea how big this squad is.

I knew when sqauds where expanded Southgate would just fill it with scousers. He is such a scouse lickarse.

Shaw is a waste of space. Should be booted out of Utd and should be nowhere near the England squad.
So who's playing on the left side of the attack? It won't be Foden or Bellingham, that's for sure. Is he dropping one of them? Is he playing Bellingham deeper? Is he dropping Walker to play a LW like Graelish or Gordon or Eze?

Shaw's been one England's best players at the last 2 tournaments. He's one of the best ball professors in the team (the best in the back 5-6 Southgate plays). So Southgate will be desperate for him to be fit.

The problem Southgate's got it is that Shaw is a bit of a slow burner. He takes a while to get fit and fully firing. I don't think there's enough time for him between now and the first game of the euros.

Chilwell misses out

Completely fair. He's been injured for most of the season and when he has been fit, he's mostly fluctuated between bang average and outright fecking shit.

He looks a top talent for sure and I'd pick him for the squad but I don't think Gareth has the balls.
Ordinarily, he wouldn't but his hand might have been forced, particularly with how things have gone for Henderson and Phillips.

If reports are true, Southgate is making some big decisions that I really didn't expect him to. Chilwell & to a lesser extend, Henderson, are some surprising omissions from a 33-man shortlist. Happy to see he is including the likes of Branthwaite, Quansah, and Eze in his overall plans even if they don't make the 26. This is moving in the right direction longer-term than just his tenure. Good stuff IMO.

Chilwell can't stay fit for more than 2 games in a row, so no surprise he's not included. Henderson can't be in on merit either.

Henderson out could mean good things in terms of camp harmony and work ethic, or bad things in terms of Southgate has no idea what to do and wants to give himself as much possibilities as possible

Wharton/Mainoo should be the DLP so good that there would be no Henderson et al. Also good for the squad to have Branthwaite and Quansah involved but even stranger not to give either a go in those friendlies in March.

Ivan Toney included in the provisional squad. Personally, I wouldn't bother taking him and just have Kane and Watkins as the no.9 options.

Need to take Eze with the form he's been in, I'd personally leave out one of Rashford / Grealish for him.

Gordon deserves to go too.

What's with all these player by players leaks of them being in or not?

Also just read James Trafford in the squad, he's been shite this season and lost his place in the Burnley team, what a joke.

So who's playing on the left side of the attack? It won't be Foden or Bellingham, that's for sure. Is he dropping one of them? Is he playing Bellingham deeper? Is he dropping Walker to play a LW like Graelish or Gordon or Eze?

Gordon easily the pick of the bunch for the left side of attack and any one of Doughty, Colwill or Burn for left back over Shaw or Chilwell if he's still injured.

I already said I expect him to revert to 541/532.
He could very easily play Bellingham a bit deeper and go with Saka, Foden and Gordon behind Kane. Rather than playing 5 and 2 sitting in midfield. You'd still have Palmer and Bowen as options off the bench. Don't think he'll do it, it will be 5+2 with Foden, Bellingham and Kane as the forward 3.

Chilwell can't stay fit for more than 2 games in a row, so no surprise he's not included. Henderson can't be in on merit either.

Chilwell hasn't played well even when he's not injured so it would be madness to take him and Shaw considering Shaw's injury woes.

Tempo 8 player so sort of a straight swop for Henderson in the squad.

It will be good with the increase to 26 to give some of the players who'll come regularly into the squad after the summer tournament experience even if they don't play.

Toney offered a lot more than Watkins in the last international friendlies so suspect he has the edge

Been pretty rubbish for Brentford in last three months. Hardly scored and been on the bench regularly. Seems he's just going for Southgate to potentially put him on in 119th minute to take a penalty.

He won't be replacing Kane if a match is delicately poised.

Is Rico Lewis being included? He'd be a surprise omission given the lack of decent options at LB and he has played for England this season. More of a sub for Man. City of course but that's never stopped Southgate before.

Ivan Toney included in the provisional squad. Personally, I wouldn't bother taking him and just have Kane and Watkins as the no.9 options.
Toney will be there for similarity in style to Kane and his penalty record (30/32 scored). I don't think he'll play much but if a game is looking like it'll go to penalties he'll be an ideal option.

Status
Not open for further replies.