England Cricket Summer 17 - South Africa & West Indies

problems at 2& 3 remain! Westley simply not ready yet.

Should reselect Hameed at no 2 and maybe Bairstow at no 3 vs Aussies.

The guy can't buy runs at First Class level, he should be nowhere near the test team at the moment. Also too much for Bairstow at 3 and keep wicket. Don't mess with his positioning as it will ruin his form as well.

The guy can't buy runs at First Class level, he should be nowhere near the test team at the moment. Also too much for Bairstow at 3 and keep wicket. Don't mess with his positioning as it will ruin his form as well.
so what do you suggest?

That top order is painfully average. Stoneman, Westley, Malan... and Cook's very inconsistent as well these days.

Joe Root is the messiah.

That is all.

How bizarre. Bairstow given out on review but to me it looked clear the ball bounced into the hands of the slip?

England have had a successful summer but seem like they have pretty big problems for the away tours coming up..

England have had a successful summer but seem like they have pretty big problems for the away tours coming up..

I think we'll do alright down under. Not expecting a series win, but a competitive Ashes where one team will nick it by a game at most.

England need to sort out their top order. Can't expect Stokes and Root to score runs.

Really not convinced by this team, we've had some outstanding performances, but some truly shocking ones too recently. Think we'll struggle against the Aussie's.

I'm not sure what the answer is at the top of the order. Everyone who's come in or been recalled looks technically flawed at test level but if you move up the players batting well lower down the order then you're risking them losing form. Some of the shot selection leaves a lot to be desired at times too - you don't want to get bogged down but there's far too many loose strokes.

One of the new 3 has to be given a decent run - probably Stoneman from what i've seen of them.

I guess I jinxed it. The Windies are looking solid right now.

I'm not sure what the answer is at the top of the order. Everyone who's come in or been recalled looks technically flawed at test level but if you move up the players batting well lower down the order then you're risking them losing form. Some of the shot selection leaves a lot to be desired at times too - you don't want to get bogged down but there's far too many loose strokes.

One of the new 3 has to be given a decent run - probably Stoneman from what i've seen of them.

Bairstow moves up to 3 and a keeper from county cricket at 7 to take the glvoes?

Barstow will be better against the new ball and England have to arrest the slide at the top.

Keepers playing more often than not against old ball should average 30 -- maybe even Buttler

West Indies are playing really, really well. Maybe there's some Hope for them right now.

Brilliant from Brathwaite.

Very good partnership between these two. Hope Windies can get a decent lead.

The answer has been looking increasingly obvious throughout the summer: a new coach.

Batting coach or head coach? Bayliss's record isn't too bad.

Head coach.

It's hard to say how he's improved this side. They were a talented, but inconsistent, red ball side when he took over and they're a talented, but inconsistent, red ball side now.

Sure, the white ball side is miles better, but lets be honest that improvement started with the series against New Zealand before he took over.

At some point the buck of the plethora of failed batsman has to stop with Bayliss.

Hope gone first ball!

And another!

Need a quick fire half century by Holder.

Another 5fer for Jimmy. What a man.

400-450 wins it for me, but I just can't see it.

Hmm...

England in big trouble now, unless someone posts a 150+ score

Plenty of players still to come that are capable of it. Hopefully Stoneman can convert his maiden 50 into a ton.

Last edited:
Had been a good start to the morning til then
Needed Root to go on to a ton and more

Big contribution required from the Stokes, Bairstow, Ali combination

Agreed. Root needs to make more "daddy hundreds" instead of getting a decent score & then playing stupid.

Root has to convert his 70s or 80s to big hundreds. There is no doubt he is very consistent run getter for England but for a player of his talent conversion rate from 50s to 100 is pretty bad (30 half centuries and just 13 test hundreds). Another thing i noticed about him he gets most of his hundreds in first test and then very rarely he gets another one in same series.

Really good this from Malan & Stokes, with Bairstow/Ali still to come. A lead of 250+ doesn't seem out of the question now.

Really good this from Malan & Stokes, with Bairstow/Ali still to come. A lead of 250+ doesn't seem out of the question now.

Yep big effort by both to keep us in this game. I know Malan has batted slowly but its kind of refreshing to see someone just take their time and keep the ship steady.

I think Anderson will knock WIndies over if he gets a 250 run lead to play with.

Great effort from Stokes. Seems to have found his style in test cricket.

Root has to convert his 70s or 80s to big hundreds. There is no doubt he is very consistent run getter for England but for a player of his talent conversion rate from 50s to 100 is pretty bad (30 half centuries and just 13 test hundreds). Another thing i noticed about him he gets most of his hundreds in first test and then very rarely he gets another one in same series.
why do you think he has both these issues? If he can solve them both, he'll outdo Kohli.