Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

I hate Elon with a passion, it's obvious he's a moron and an awful person to have to deal with, but this piece of shite Rittenhouse is on a whole other level. I don't think writing that one wishes Kyle Rittenhouse would die painfully should be a bannable offence, but I won't, just in case.

Good developers know they can get work they like. He'll be stuck with the ones who feel they can't do better than "twitter 2.0".
As long as they keep the current salaries, I think Twitter would still be a desirable place to work. People would be ok working 50-60 h/week to get 300k+ salaries. At least for a few years.

Thing is, as far as I know, Elon does not like paying top dollars. Tesla engineers had a lower salaries than most of other big tech companies. It kinda worked out because the stocks skyrocketed, but that is not something that people usually base the decision on. So, if Twitter plans to lower salaries (like I expect them to), while increasing the workload, they are gonna struggle to get top talent.

Now I remember. This is the poster who was banned from the crypto thread. Makes complete sense you guys would go to another, unrelated, thread and derail it with “jokes”.

Electric cars now will have to pay road tax.
It is an interesting question, especially here in the US where gas tax revenue is a major source of funding for road maintenance. There will need to be some sort of realignment to address this, especially as EV’s become a bigger percentage of cars on the road.

It is an interesting question, especially here in the US where gas tax revenue is a major source of funding for road maintenance. There will need to be some sort of realignment to address this, especially as EV’s become a bigger percentage of cars on the road.
They forecast that 50% of new cars on the road will be electric by 2030 so this is probably why they have done it, because the budget for road maintenance will reduce massively.

Well, I posted in the Electric Cars thread and the Elon Musk (owner of an EV company) thread...so not sure your point.
My point was I had already read your post in the electric cars thread. Why not post it in every other thread somehow connected to it too? How about the Westminster thread?

What are the odds that employees who didn't sign the pledge because they're on annual leave will find that they can't log into anything when they get back?

Or are employees even allowed to take annual leave at the moment?

Well, I posted in the Electric Cars thread and the Elon Musk (owner of an EV company) thread...so not sure your point.

This thread is about his ownership of Twitter though. Are you going to dump any random shit you come across about SpaceX in here too?

EDIT: :lol: Yes, you are. Although that last tweet is at least tangentially related.

FB-IMG-1668700343466.jpg

Deadline is approaching and internal rumours are that 75% will take the severance.

That leaves less than 12.5% of the original staff members. If that's true it'll be a skeleton crew left and if Twitter doesn't hire hard and fast, we can start expecting outages.

Classic seagull management :lol:

Seagull management is a management style wherein a manager only interacts with employees when they deem a problem has arisen. The perception is that such a management style involves hasty decisions about things of which they have little understanding, resulting in a messy situation with which others must deal.

The term became popular through a joke in Ken Blanchard’s 1985 book Leadership and the One Minute Manager: “Seagull managers fly in, make a lot of noise, shit on everyone, then fly out.”

Deadline is approaching and internal rumours are that 75% will take the severance.

That leaves less than 12.5% of the original staff members. If that's true it'll be a skeleton crew left and if Twitter doesn't hire hard and fast, we can start expecting outages.

Musk is about to get lucky. Market has just been flooded with some good talent from Meta and Amazon, long with other start ups. This will include some folks on visa who would be desperate enough to take a job at Twitter under the current env.

Musk is about to get lucky. Market has just been flooded with some good talent from Meta and Amazon, long with other start ups. This will include some folks on visa who would be desperate enough to take a job at Twitter under the current env.

Aside from those guys that need a visa, the rest I doubt would want to touch Twitter for the same reasons that 75% want to leave. Firstly the market is still hiring, alot. Secondly, Musk's offering is not compelling at all. He wants to create a start-up, up-against-the-world mentality for a company that isn't a start-up. It's different, how...

Well first, he needs a helluva lot of engineers to run existing systems. So unlike a start-up there's no blank page for incoming talent, just shit tons of support on little to no handover. Secondly, unlike a start-up again, engineers won't have much sway like he claims and they know it. They have a sociopath at the top who will make random ad-hoc decisions (like twitter blue) and will shit on them publicly when shit doesn't work. Finally start-ups hire good talent and work them very hard, but they offer shares and the potential upside that if the company makes it they will become rich themselves. Without that potential upside, why would you go and work really long and hard? Just to make Elon rich?

And he plans to make everyone go to the office 5 days a week. Good luck with that. Most engineers would happily take a pay cut to work at a stress free environment that allows them to work remotely. The only ones who will buy into that vision are people who are at the beginning of their career. Who might not be the best fit to work for Twitter in the first place.

Aside from those guys that need a visa, the rest I doubt would want to touch Twitter for the same reasons that 75% want to leave. Firstly the market is still hiring, alot. Secondly, Musk's offering is not compelling at all. He wants to create a start-up, up-against-the-world mentality for a company that isn't a start-up. It's different, how...

Well first, he needs a helluva lot of engineers to run existing systems. So unlike a start-up there's no blank page for incoming talent, just shit tons of support on little to no handover. Secondly, unlike a start-up again, engineers won't have much sway like he claims and they know it. They have a sociopath at the top who will make random ad-hoc decisions (like twitter blue) and will shit on them publicly when shit doesn't work. Finally start-ups hire good talent and work them very hard, but they offer shares and the potential upside that if the company makes it they will become rich themselves. Without that potential upside, why would you go and work really long and hard? Just to make Elon rich?

And he plans to make everyone go to the office 5 days a week. Good luck with that. Most engineers would happily take a pay cut to work at a stress free environment that allows them to work remotely. The only ones who will buy into that vision are people who are at the beginning of their career. Who might not be the best fit to work for Twitter in the first place.

Hmm I am not sure I agree that the tech market is still hot with respect to hiring. Crypto jobs pretty much froze in first half and now big tech has either frozen hiring or reduced open head counts drastically. In any case, he does has engineers working for him in other companies so he will find people to join him.

Great summary, you’ve hit the nail on the head.

There really is no upside to joining Twitter now. They’re not going to be able to hire serious talent, there’s no reason for serious talent to join them as he’s just advertised how shit he is going to make it. What they are going to get is middle of the road talent which are sycophantic to Musk sharing his world views and in return they will do a mediocre job and he will get rid and replace again and again.

as alan hansen once said. you'll never be genetically superior with that hairline.