Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

Indeed, it is very risky. Although, my position is team specific and presumably would go under ‘critical’ (metaverse related AI), but would still be quite risky to take anything in Meta right now.

Of course, I will likely not get an offer in the first place.

This isn't in any way meant as an accusation, but have you at all considered the ethical implications of working at Meta? I don't hold individual employees responsible for the actions of Meta, but... I think it would bother me too much.

This isn't in any way meant as an accusation, but have you at all considered the ethical implications of working at Meta? I don't hold individual employees responsible for the actions of Meta, but... I think it would bother me too much.
Yes, of course.

I would be glad to continue this in some other thread cause I already derailed it too much.

This is very hot topic in the industry and is turning almost political now. I can say that the majority of engineers and researches I know want to stay as far away form Meta as possible.

This is very hot topic in the industry and is turning almost political now. I can say that the majority of engineers and researches I know want to stay as far away form Meta as possible.
And yet they have the second best AI team in the world (after Alphabet). I know dozens of researchers there, and have yet to know one who has left for ethical reasons.

And yet they have the second best AI team in the world (after Alphabet). I know dozens of researchers there, and have yet to know one who has left for ethical reasons.
Sure. They also created PyTorch which made many lives easier. It's more related to the company one keeps for these opinions.

I am trying to think of anything similar in corporate history, but I can't think of any similar examples of self sabotage of such a large company in such a small amount of time.
Ratner? Would come close although a smaller company

I am trying to think of anything similar in corporate history, but I can't think of any similar examples of self sabotage of such a large company in such a small amount of time.
Man United during Woodward era?

ye2RlmF.png

They know what they're doing, dont worry

When you really think about it, it's actually hilarious that Elon just went in there and did a bunch of crap within the first week. Any CEO worth his salt would initiate some kind of strategy process upon taking over the reins to better understand the current state, the various strategic options and their potential risks/rewards. This would probably take at least half a year and include a bunch of market research. At the same time he would assess the leadership team, perhaps make a few changes early on, but then get the rest of them onboard with his plan.

Elon went in there, eliminated entire functions, alienated the rest of the leadership, and launched a new product based purely on gut feel (and a Twitter exchange with Stephen King) - all while whining on Twitter. Any claims of financial urgency are obviously bullshit - he could cover the operating losses for decades if he wanted to. He's clearly not a good executive.

As much of a douchebag this guy is, I think he's done well with the twitter purchase. There's a lot of value in the platform with a unique feature set that I think has been under utilised by the previous management, and over a 10 year span it can increase significantly in value if the execution is right. I held stock in Twitter for quite a while, but over the last 5-7 years it just seemed like nothing was over done to improve twitter.

Musk is smart and ruthless in business if nothing else, so I expect the twitter purchase to return good value for him. Shame because he is really quite unlikeable, but I suppose the traits that make him so are useful to have in business.

When you really think about it, it's actually hilarious that Elon just went in there and did a bunch of crap within the first week. Any CEO worth his salt would initiate some kind of strategy process upon taking over the reins to better understand the current state, the various strategic options and their potential risks/rewards. This would probably take at least half a year and include a bunch of market research. At the same time he would assess the leadership team, perhaps make a few changes early on, but then get the rest of them onboard with his plan.

Elon went in there, eliminated entire functions, alienated the rest of the leadership, and launched a new product based purely on gut feel (and a Twitter exchange with Stephen King) - all while whining on Twitter. Any claims of financial urgency are obviously bullshit - he could cover the operating losses for decades if he wanted to. He's clearly not a good executive.

It's fecking crazy. A small company (60 employees or so) I worked for years ago got bought out by Honeywell. When they acknowledged their interest, they introduced thousands of pages of research and data on the company and embedded a two-man team for 6 months prior to the actual takeover to get a feel of the business. It's still going strong, and Honeywell more than tripled its turnover in a few years. I know the world's moved on (this was dawn of Internet time), but it's incredible how wing and a prayer this seems from the outside - I don't care how maverick Musk might be, surely he's got a few people he listens to that aren't just sycophants?!

Is that accurate?! What was it valued at when he paid the 44?

I mean, the company is delisted. There is no market value anymore. You can't just do a valuation like that.

The funny thing is, that the company is probably significantly more valuable to another owner, because Musk is alienating to users and advertisers alike.

I mean, the company is delisted. There is no market value anymore. You can't just do a valuation like that.

The funny thing is, that the company is probably significantly more valuable to another owner, because Musk is alienating to users and advertisers alike.

Yeah but the 44 was based on an amount per share when he first made the offer. Cap was 41 when delisted.

Those previous Twitter shareholders who got bought out must be loving this.

Hopefully it’s all but shut down and Musk is forced to sell and it’s bought out by George Soros and MAGA heads explode

Had a discussion on another forum, a tech one which doesn't allow political discourse so unfortunately the thread did get closed.
Couple of members were right up Elon's arse. Holy feck.

Back & forth over the blue tick fiasco, really reminds me of arguing with right wingers. Except in this case I know the guy knows his stuff in regards to cybersecurity & sys ad.

Common sense out the window when people idolise billionaires. Cult following.

Had a discussion on another forum, a tech one which doesn't allow political discourse so unfortunately the thread did get closed.
Couple of members were right up Elon's arse. Holy feck.

Back & forth over the blue tick fiasco, really reminds me of arguing with right wingers. Except in this case I know the guy knows his stuff in regards to cybersecurity & sys ad.

Common sense out the window when people idolise billionaires. Cult following.
When you are mostly correct in predicting things it's really hard (for some) to admit they've been wrong , so that's a hill they are willing to die for. I reckon for most of the smarter folk that's the reason, and there is always those true cultists who have no values of their own but memcpy the entire value system (or nothing) of their chosen celebrity.