Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

What the heck is a blue tick anyway for those who don’t use it and what’s with the uproar of Being charged a few £ when they earn fortunes on a free platform up to now

What the heck is a blue tick anyway for those who don’t use it and what’s with the uproar of Being charged a few £ when they earn fortunes on a free platform up to now
Who has earned a fortune through Twitter?

I see famous people as creating free content for Twitter, which allows them to collect advertising fees.

It’s useful to verify that someone is who they say they are. If everyone can just buy one it loses its purpose and anyone can post anything with an air of authenticity.

Does this mean I can now create an account using the name of someone famous and then get a blue tick?

I think we should go further. Artists shouldn’t get royalties whenever their work is played on radio or TV stations, they should have to pay the owners of those stations instead. We’ve got it all the wrong way round. It’s the heroic corporate shareholders who do all the heavy lifting

I think RedCafe should implement paid gif avatars. But you don't get to choose your avatar, it is drawn randomly from my gifs folder.
I had a conversation not long ago with Niall on avatars. They just aren't feasible I'm afraid. They are never coming back. I almost got one too for a joke and even that was too much of a faff technically.

I had a conversation not long ago with Niall on avatars. They just aren't feasible I'm afraid. They are never coming back. I almost got one too for a joke and even that was too much of a faff technically.

I simply refuse to believe that avatars are technically unfeasible in 2022. We can't have regressed that far, it's not possible. I had an animated avatar in 2004 damn it!

the uproar is because they are quite hard to get, so there is legitimacy and prestige that comes with having one

all that 'value' has basically been eradicated now

the uproar is because they are quite hard to get, so there is legitimacy and prestige that comes with having one

Not to mention the fact that it's going to make it dramatically easier for scammers, since they can just pay a laughably small fee (for a scammer) to get "legitimacy".

I don't know, based on some of the people I've seen with blue checks, it can't be that hard.

But it's true that it's far better than just paying for one which is the huckster's dream.

I mean, that’s not really the crux though. The whole initial purpose was so that people (or orgs) who are notable, and thus would be quite likely to have fake accounts made in their names could be conclusively identified. If you were notable enough to need one, you just needed to contact the Admin and prove you were who you said you were… It would be hard for someone like me to get one sure, simply because there’s no need for someone like me to get one. Much like how I don’t need a Wikipedia page.

Obviously the more time went on the more tenuously notable people with a couple of bylines started getting them, and for that strata of person, sure, there’s a weird twatty prestige, but that doesn’t really negate the actual purpose of needing to verify big names or important news sources or organisations, since it’ll be a lot easier to spread misinformation without it.

I mean if he doesn’t want to give Stephen King one, thats his prerogative I guess, but it does obviously mean it’ll be a lot easier for someone to make an account identical to Stephen King’s and post a load of crazy shit about being a coked up weirdo who likes to imagine elaborate child orgies…

Or, you know, a better example

Last edited:
I mean, that’s not really the crux though. The whole initial purpose was so that people (or orgs) who are notable, and thus would be quite likely to have fake accounts made in their names could be conclusively identified. If you were notable enough to need one, you just needed to contact the Admin and prove you were who you said you were… It would be hard for someone like me to get one sure, simply because there’s no need for someone like me to get one. Much like how I don’t need a Wikipedia page.

Obviously the more time went on the more tenuously notable people with a couple of bylines started getting them, and for that strata of person, sure, there’s a weird twatty prestige, but that doesn’t really negate the actual purpose of needing to verify big names or important news sources or organisations, since it’ll be a lot easier to spread misinformation without it.

I mean if he doesn’t want to give Stephen King one, thats his prerogative I guess, but it does obviously mean it’ll be a lot easier for someone to make an account identical to Stephen King’s and post a load of crazy shit about being a coked up weirdo who likes to imagine elaborate child orgies…

Or, you know, a better example

yeah I can’t disagree with that

I do think this is why most people are annoyed though.. or to put it better it’s something they own they perceive as valuable which is being devalued

in my narrow world view at least, based on the people I know with blue ticks (mostly journalists and crypto influencers)

This is a very dangerous man. I was not aware that the little snake was linked to "longtermist philosophers."

I mean, some sweet and nice billionaires created an entire brench of philosophy only to tell us that they think we are irrelevant and our lives, the lives of our families have no actual value. We are dispensable in the name of some supposed marvelous future with mankind conquering the galaxy.

I have an alternative philosophy: lets tax the "longtermist" billionaires in 90% or send them to the gulag.

The always marvelous Sabine Hossenfelder can explain what those people are with more grace and sense of humour:

He is not targeting us, the peasants, though… but the blue-ticked, self-conscious, “tofu-eating wokerati”.

yeah I can’t disagree with that

I do think this is why most people are annoyed though.. or to put it better it’s something they own they perceive as valuable which is being devalued

in my narrow world view at least, based on the people I know with blue ticks (mostly journalists and crypto influencers)

But you can see why someone saying to the real Stephen King (or Barack Obama, or CNN, or Timmy Mallet) that if they don’t want someone posing as them and posting any old shit on a hugely prominent global platform, with no instantly identifiable way for any normal rube to tell the difference, they need to pay him a fee… is basically the definition of a fecking racket though, right?

However much it may tangentially annoy a certain type of deservingly annoying person?

But you can see why someone saying to the real Stephen King (or Barack Obama, or CNN, or Timmy Mallet) that if they don’t want someone posing as them and posting any old shit on a hugely prominent global platform, with no instantly identifiable way for any normal rube to tell the difference, they need to pay him a fee… is basically the definition of a fecking racket though, right?

However much it may tangentially annoy a certain type of deservingly annoying person?

Yeah definitely. I basically only use Twitter for crypto, and the impact there will be detrimental as it's already rife with scams.

It's just a terrible terrible idea. He's trying to fix something which isn't broken, basically.

Can’t scammers now just pay for the blue tick and impersonate with no issue? One of the points of the blue tick was that this wasn’t possible.

Can’t scammers now just pay for the blue tick and impersonate with no issue? One of the points of the blue tick was that this wasn’t possible.

I think there will be an issue in that need to put their credit card information (and therefore real name and address on there)

assuming Musk doesn't allow crypto payments

That's the opposite of the situation. Twitter makes almost all of their money off of the people with blue ticks.

The are literally charging their product for the privilege of being the product.

But the very worst thing is that they never had to do it, but now just are because a billionaire has fecked up with his purchase and wants to make his money back.

They actually aren't though. The amount of problems with them, and then the parts to repair weirdly doesn't get reported on.

Any repair shop Tesla approved will say the same, they are awful. I'm sure they are fine if you have no problems, but when you do...

Hmm. My dad has a Model S and a new Model S on order for the new year. There are niggles that have been there since day dot (the app is picky about connecting to the car sometimes being about the worst), but the two times he's had to deal with repairs Tesla have been fantastic. There was a headlamp problem (another known issue as it happens, according to the engineer), but they sent the guy to my dad's in his company Tesla - which is a nice perk - to do the repair, all paid for by Tesla, and from phone call to repair was less than 72 hours.

He thinks Elon is a cnut, but can't speak highly-enough of the cars or the customer service.

Yeah definitely. I basically only use Twitter for crypto, and the impact there will be detrimental as it's already rife with scams.

It's just a terrible terrible idea. He's trying to fix something which isn't broken, basically.

That's a good few hundred millions every month for him. love it or hate it it's substantial amount. As much as that's a cnut of a move i can see why he opted for it

It’s useful to verify that someone is who they say they are. If everyone can just buy one it loses its purpose and anyone can post anything with an air of authenticity.

thanks! For one who doesn’t use twitter nor read anything on it other than what has been shared on the few sites I go to, makes sense.

I think we should go further. Artists shouldn’t get royalties whenever their work is played on radio or TV stations, they should have to pay the owners of those stations instead. We’ve got it all the wrong way round. It’s the heroic corporate shareholders who do all the heavy lifting
See the difference between @Solius response, which simple answered my question as I had no idea what a blue tick meant, vs your sarcastic response which didn’t even answer the question. Why bother replying?

but as you made such an effort to reply, my understanding is that people earn money on twitter by making sponsored tweets promoting brands etc. Are you really comparing someone earning a fortune off making a sponsored tweet to someone writing a song and getting royalties for it? There’s no skill or talent in posting a sponsored tweet so your reply just doesn’t make sense

That's a good few hundred millions every month for him. love it or hate it it's substantial amount. As much as that's a cnut of a move i can see why he opted for it
The whole of the Twitter userbase is about 250 millions, at best, maybe 5 millions have a blue tick, and I’m being extremely generous. That’s 40m a month (assuming all of them pay for it, and they won’t). Fat chance the current plebs will sign up for much less stick with that subscription models.

For comparison, for 10 bucks, you get Amazon Prime subscription, something most people use. You get discounts on goods, free deliveries, a free Twitch tv subscription, Prime video access. There’s simply no value for the customers in what the edgelord in chief is offering.

Watching myspace die was kinda sad. Watching facebook die still makes me smile inside. If twitter dies I might actually have hope for humanity.

See the difference between @Solius response, which simple answered my question as I had no idea what a blue tick meant, vs your sarcastic response which didn’t even answer the question. Why bother replying?

but as you made such an effort to reply, my understanding is that people earn money on twitter by making sponsored tweets promoting brands etc. Are you really comparing someone earning a fortune off making a sponsored tweet to someone writing a song and getting royalties for it? There’s no skill or talent in posting a sponsored tweet so your reply just doesn’t make sense

I merely found it an amusing thing to reply on a message board… And to be completely fair, you came into the thread and said “I don’t know anything about this, but still, why should anyone care about it since I’ve presumed they’re all making money off it or something?” which didn’t really invite the most sensitive, thoughtful reply…

Secondly, sponsored tweets have almost nothing at all to do with blue tick accounts. One is a straight up advert (often even labelled as such) or occasionally a viral tweet that the writer has opportunistically used to sell some dildos off the back of… and the other are notable verified people/orgs who write or post content on the site that helps attract people to it.

It’s far more equatable with creatives & radio stations, as one of the biggest appeals of Twitter is the amount of free content you get from often very notable sources… Comedians, musicians, news organisations, even politicians. Making them pay for the privilege of putting their content on the site puts all the power in the hands of the corporate suits in charge who merely maintain the platform, and away from the people who make it interesting by filling that platform with stuff… Whether you find it “talented” to post a viral photoshop or amusing witticism is a reasonable debate, but irrelevant. They’re still the things driving people to the site.

If anything it’s MORESO, as there aren’t even DJs curating this stuff (deliberately at any rate) it’s just people putting shit out into the ether, and seeing if it gets traction with other people. Monetising that at this point is a step backwards in global mass communication.

And this is all before we even get into the idea of verified sources reporting on war zones and rebellions having the legitimacy of their information held to ransom by a company. (The equivalent of a newspaper making their journalists pay them - to use another slightly flawed but mostly apt analogy.)

Last edited:
Did Facebook die? I hardly go on there but I wasn't aware of that.
  • Stage 1: Stable – Developing and Implementing the Care Plan
  • Stage 2: Unstable – Adjusting the Care Plan & Preparing Emotionally
  • Stage 3: Deteriorating – Shifting to End-of-Life-Care
  • Stage 4: Terminal – Symptom Management, Emotional & Spiritual Care
  • Stage 5: Bereavement – Support for Family Members, Loved Ones & Carers
https://www.nursenextdoor.com.au/blog/the-5-stages-of-palliative-care/
While not technically dead yet I'd say it's in stage 4 of palliative care.

Facebook is thriving, providing you’re over 50 and posting conspiracy memes in a minion template format